3M Interview Questions

Updated 13 Oct 2014
Updated 13 Oct 2014

2.7

Manufacturing Engineering Graduate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

Found the graduate scheme on Gradcracker and applied online by sending CV and Cover Letter and also answering questions such as why 3M?
    Then i had to complete verbal reasoning and numerical tests.

Was emailed a few weeks later to confirm a telephone interview. Telephone interview was 30 minutes long and was competency based (they usually tell you what competencies you will assessed on).
    The interview started of with questions such as: where did you hear about the role? what course are you studying and why? which university and why? why do you want to work for 3M and why this specific role?..and then moved on to the competency questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asking about why i went to the university i went to was unexpected.   Answer Question

SBD Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

1st round interview : two business cases
    2nd round interview: about 6 short business cases
    Final round with the Regional VP

Marketing IP Role Interview

I applied online – interviewed at 3M.

Applied online, had a telephone interview then assessment centre at Bracknell. The day we well organised and very relaxed. Really enjoyed it, seems like a great place to work. Their hiring process seems somewhat flawed with only 2/6 of those who attended getting a job offer, even though i think at least 4/6 were very qualified.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bracknell, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bracknell, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M in January 2010.

Two face to face interview with two IT managers, not an interview where you are grilled about what you know but rather they want to find out about you and visa versa. Sound like an interesting place to work with some great facilities open to people that do work there i.e. gym, football pitch, squash courts

Other aspects of the interview includes a group excerise four of us had a problem, we had to come to a conclusion and then present our answers to the four people watching us and there was also a tour of the facilities.

Interview Questions
    Its a good company with a good work ethic + they are not all work and no play!

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Met them at career fair and got a phone call the next day. It was a 30 min interview that dealt with basic questions ranging from why I wanted to join 3M to what I could contribute. Also, they asked me what I knew about the position. I was even asked how I dealt with a conflict.

Chemical Engineer Interview

I got a campus interview when I was in graduate school. But I only have a master degree, I feel like they much more prefer to hire PHD students. A lot of questions about previous researches and it would help a lot if you have publications

Research Scientist Interview

On campus interview, met for one hour with a recruiter. Usually a pre-requisite before rapid recruiting on site. Recruiter described interview process pretty well, and explained different positions. Then we talked about research for a bit, and ended with some questions for them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you were able to obtain buy-in from others.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at 3M.

Standard interview process. Met with roughly 4 3M employees. Ranging form Management, to sales trainers. Asked typical interview questions. Have 30/60/90 day plan ready. Dress formal. Be ready for a long day of interviews. They will give you 10-15 mins in between rounds. Bring note pad. It's helpful to take notes.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 3M in September 2014.

quite easy going, technical questions were asked too. Felt at ease, although it's apparent the interns would not get a specific experience. Other wise it was fairly relaxed. Oddly, not much was asked about my background; only a few technical questions were asked, and the remainder of the time focused on describing the position and the department.

O2 Program Interview

interviewed at 3M in September 2014.

Very casual on campus interview. I applied through campus recruiting and half of the interview was just discussing what the job entailed, and where there were openings. The downside is that you have to apply after the interview a separate time to the various plants you'd like to work at. The time can vary depending on the need.