3M Interview Questions

Updated 19 Sep 2014
Updated 19 Sep 2014

2.7

Manufacturing Engineering Graduate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M.

Found the graduate scheme on Gradcracker and applied online by sending CV and Cover Letter and also answering questions such as why 3M?
    Then i had to complete verbal reasoning and numerical tests.

Was emailed a few weeks later to confirm a telephone interview. Telephone interview was 30 minutes long and was competency based (they usually tell you what competencies you will assessed on).
    The interview started of with questions such as: where did you hear about the role? what course are you studying and why? which university and why? why do you want to work for 3M and why this specific role?..and then moved on to the competency questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asking about why i went to the university i went to was unexpected.   Answer Question

SBD Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M.

1st round interview : two business cases
    2nd round interview: about 6 short business cases
    Final round with the Regional VP

Marketing IP Role Interview

I applied online - interviewed at 3M.

Applied online, had a telephone interview then assessment centre at Bracknell. The day we well organised and very relaxed. Really enjoyed it, seems like a great place to work. Their hiring process seems somewhat flawed with only 2/6 of those who attended getting a job offer, even though i think at least 4/6 were very qualified.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bracknell, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bracknell, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M in January 2010.

Two face to face interview with two IT managers, not an interview where you are grilled about what you know but rather they want to find out about you and visa versa. Sound like an interesting place to work with some great facilities open to people that do work there i.e. gym, football pitch, squash courts

Other aspects of the interview includes a group excerise four of us had a problem, we had to come to a conclusion and then present our answers to the four people watching us and there was also a tour of the facilities.

Interview Questions
    Its a good company with a good work ethic + they are not all work and no play!

Research Scientist Interview

On campus interview, met for one hour with a recruiter. Usually a pre-requisite before rapid recruiting on site. Recruiter described interview process pretty well, and explained different positions. Then we talked about research for a bit, and ended with some questions for them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you were able to obtain buy-in from others.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at 3M.

Standard interview process. Met with roughly 4 3M employees. Ranging form Management, to sales trainers. Asked typical interview questions. Have 30/60/90 day plan ready. Dress formal. Be ready for a long day of interviews. They will give you 10-15 mins in between rounds. Bring note pad. It's helpful to take notes.

Marketing Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at 3M.

There were 2 interviews. The first was more generic and assess individual strength and weaknesses, expectations, aspirations etc. The second was to pitch a marketing strategy of a specific product.

3m Frontline Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at 3M.

Conversation with program head and school specific recruiter, mostly conversational. Talked about interests and career goals to determine fit with the open 3m positions. Not too difficult an interview. 3m is a big company and there are many opportunities, so if you talk about what you are truly interested in, chances are this is something in 3m that fits those interests. Be yourself and be friendly and enthusiastic.

Marketing Senior Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Moscow (Russia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in August 2014.

Comparing to other companies relatively easy interview. Just described former projects and duties, some plans for further development. The atmospere is friendly, not nervous. Easy to get to the office in time.
    BTW the IQ test is not convenient to pass - the same time gape for all kinds of questions. The most difficult part of the inerview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you start with in case we launch a new product in *Department*?   Answer Question
    I was proposed a higher position than considered at first. Pretty flexible company regarding working conditions.

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at 3M in August 2014.

I applied directly through their website but was also networked into the job and sent my resume directly to the hiring manager. A week later their website informed me that they also forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. 3 months later the hiring manager called me for a phone interview. Two weeks later they invited me to schedule an on-site interview. On that day I was already on-site at another company who made an offer two days later. I took the offer from the other company and politely withdrew myself from consideration at 3M.

To summarize, 3M took 4 months to get me into an interview. The other company (also a large corporation) made an offer within 1 month of my application on their website. 3M is a great company, but I don't think they understand how to hire experienced professionals.

Regarding the phone interview, it was a very natural conversation. No canned questions.

Interview Questions
    • None. It was a great conversation. The hiring manager dug into some of my specific experiences from my resume. I asked a lot of questions about the job.   Answer Question

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!