3M

Updated 18 Feb 2015
Updated 18 Feb 2015

2.7

Manufacturing Engineering Graduate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

Found the graduate scheme on Gradcracker and applied online by sending CV and Cover Letter and also answering questions such as why 3M?
    Then i had to complete verbal reasoning and numerical tests.

Was emailed a few weeks later to confirm a telephone interview. Telephone interview was 30 minutes long and was competency based (they usually tell you what competencies you will assessed on).
    The interview started of with questions such as: where did you hear about the role? what course are you studying and why? which university and why? why do you want to work for 3M and why this specific role?..and then moved on to the competency questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asking about why i went to the university i went to was unexpected.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Year Long Placement Interview

I applied online – interviewed at 3M in February 2014.

Firstly complete the online application, they will then contact you for a online assessment, this part is fairly easy, and then the telephone interview, that's where I got up to.

Interview Questions
    • Don't be too nervous, I did not do well as I was over panic. They ask some general questions such as why do you want to work for 3M, what do you know about the company, your experience of working in a team, and what you have learned from it etc.   Answer Question

SBD Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

1st round interview : two business cases
    2nd round interview: about 6 short business cases
    Final round with the Regional VP

Marketing IP Role Interview

I applied online – interviewed at 3M.

Applied online, had a telephone interview then assessment centre at Bracknell. The day we well organised and very relaxed. Really enjoyed it, seems like a great place to work. Their hiring process seems somewhat flawed with only 2/6 of those who attended getting a job offer, even though i think at least 4/6 were very qualified.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bracknell, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bracknell, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M in January 2010.

Two face to face interview with two IT managers, not an interview where you are grilled about what you know but rather they want to find out about you and visa versa. Sound like an interesting place to work with some great facilities open to people that do work there i.e. gym, football pitch, squash courts

Other aspects of the interview includes a group excerise four of us had a problem, we had to come to a conclusion and then present our answers to the four people watching us and there was also a tour of the facilities.

Interview Questions
    Its a good company with a good work ethic + they are not all work and no play!

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

I talked to a recruiter at a college job fair and had a very easy and short behavioral interview the next day. I was told to apply online, which I did, and I didn't hear anything for almost 5 months. I had a short phone interview that mostly just went over my resume and my skills. I was offered an internship 4 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your programming experience and projects you've worked on.   Answer Question

R&D Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at 3M.

long. recruiter took a long time to respond to emails and such. I had to email him to get any idea of what the next step in the hiring process was. apply --> phone call --> emails --> no offer

Interview Questions
    • walk me through your resume? what are your plans for the future? what do you know about 3M?   Answer Question

O2 Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at 3M in February 2015.

Typical 30 minute phone interview, asked questions about resume and past work experience. It was very similar in questioning to other interviews. Lady who did the interviewing was very nice and laid back.

Interview Questions
    • How does your past work experience relate to this position?   Answer Question

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at 3M in February 2015.

Had an initial phone interview with the hiring manager in one of their staff scientist. They then invited me for an on site interview which started with a presentation followed by several individual interviews. the interviews were pretty simple and that there is not a great deal of behavioral or technical questions a lot of it was just conversation about what I had done or was living in the greater Minneapolis area is like. they also asked me about my hobbies. I would say that it was a very inviting experience and that the company is extremely impressive.

Interview Questions
    • describe your collaborations

do you have any problem initiating collaborations

what makes a good innovator/inventor

what are some problems you think you would encounter during your transition

who is an innovating inspiration for you and why

describe an "aha moment" you had and the impact of that

what skill sets would you bring to the table and what about them separates you from others

Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M.

Hit it off with a rep at a national career fair. The rep and i discussed medical devices and she passed me onto another rep. This next rep signed me up for an interview with the 02 Intern program, which I had not properly read up on. Interview was to take place a few hours later, and I had another interview before it that I was prepping for, so I neglected to read much about 3M's 02 intern program.

My interviewer was admittedly cranky because she hadn't eaten lunch. She was abrupt and unpleasant. She stopped me mid-interview to tell me that I should have read up better on the position she was interviewing for. It was not a fun interview. Largely my own fault. Though I never want to interview with anyone with this woman's disposition again, even if I am properly prepared and qualified.