3M Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

2.7

Packaging Graphics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Maplewood, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in January 2014.

I got an interview scheduled through my temp agency. It was kind of short notice (two days). The person I interviewed with was very nice, very personable. She asked my about my background. I went thought my education and job experience. I did most of the talking. I made sure to read the job description before-hand and explain how my previous job history and skills transferred to the position I was applying for. Once the interview was winding down, we talked about our background, where we're originally from, and even joked around a bit.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions. I just had to make sure I explained why I deserved the position and why I'd be a good fit.   Answer Question
    Since this was done through a temp agency, salary was already negotiated.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at 3M.

Met recruiter at career fair, interviewed the next day, had an offer ~3 weeks later.
    Behavioral type questions. What did you like about your last internship, what didn't you? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Teamwork skills

Technical Aide Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M.

One interview with the manager who oversaw my work for my duration with the company

Director of Quality Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online - interviewed at 3M.

Process commenced with a 1.5 hr interview with the hiring and HR managers. Questions were status quo focused on people management experiences and technical aspects related to QMS implementation/maintenance.
    On-site interview was held over an eight hour period with HR, hiring, and production managers. Standard questions about background and experience with a 1 hr HR type exam that included some elementary technical questions. Received a tentative offer the day after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were asked to do something for the business that was counter to your morals/ethics?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at 3M.

They call and set up an interview for the following day. Interview is mostly informal. They ask about your experience in school and how you would fit in to the company.

Optimized Operations Supply Chain Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at 3M.

Landed the interview after talking to O2 lead recruiter at my university's career fair. 1st interview was a face-to-face 30 minute behavioral based on campus. Was invited to an onsite 2nd round interview after 2 weeks. The onsite interview was at the St. Paul HQ with managers and peers. The company REALLY focuses on how you can FIT in their culture. Got the offer immediately the day after I flew back. Had a great experience!

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in March 2013.

I applied online through my school's portal. I received an email from HR to arrange for a phone interview (I was overseas at the time) and got on the phone with my manager after that. She was very nice about the whole process and it took about 30 minutes. After that, I was notified of my acceptance by the HR manager.

Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M in September 2013.

The interview with the department head following an online application was relatively easy to schedule and cordial. The interview style was conversational with a number of relevant questions posed concerning the duties and required experience fo rthe role. It also included a good description of the working culture and department goals etc.

Interview Questions
    • There were a number of pointed questions with regard to the particular duties and required expertise of the role. It was important to "know your stuff."   Answer Question

3M Research and Development (PhD) Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at 3M.

Typical on-campus interview. Asking behavior questions. The interviewer is the alumni of our university. In one week I receive a email telling me that I'll be contacted by a recruiting manager. I'm still waiting since then (3 month already.....).

Strategic Business Development (SBD) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at 3M.

They gave a great tour of the campus and of the city - it was quite well done. First, we had an intro session the night before with cocktails, which included a "2-minute" intro about yourself with one slide. Next day, breakfast, tour of campus (which is great), 3 separate interviews 1) Leadership, 2) Marketing, 3) Case - each an hour long; followed up by a tour of Minneapolis. They do a good job of giving you an overview of the city (cities) - something a lot of other companies do not do.

Interview Questions
    • It's 10,000 B.C. and you just discovered fire. How would you sell it to your village?   Answer Question