ALDI

Updated 1 Mar 2015
Updated 1 Mar 2015

2.8

Store Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI.

First day invited to a group interview with other applicants lasting 1 hour. We were given tasks to complete such as role play, how to communicate with customers and speaking in front of a group. The interviewer is present throughout the process and decides who will be selected for 1-on-1 interview.

Second day is a 1-one interview with the area manager lasting 20-30 minutes. Initially the interviewer will confirm some personal details, followed by your shift preference. It is a good idea to have examples of team working and planning. Aldi want people who can complete tasks at a set time limit, e.g fill tinned food shelves in 30 minutes etc, scan 50 items per minute on the tills. This will be recorded and if you don't hit your targets then you may be disciplined.

Last day is a work trial. I did not attend at this point because I had an offer from another company.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Aldi?
      Can you work early mornings, Night shifts, weekends, bank holidays, overtime etc?
      Are you able to work in a target driven environment? Can you give an example of when you had to work towards a deadline?
      What are your hobbies?
      Do you have any questions?

View Answer

Area Manager Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ALDI in February 2015.

A two minute pitch about who we were and why we should get the job, another two minute presentation about our greatest achievement, and a numeracy/literacy/comprehension test.

We were in a group of 20+ people; far too many to accurately gauge anything of our ability or personality in my opinion, so my advice would be to be bold and try and your best to stand out from the crowd. With such a limited interview format, however, your personality and leadership qualities matter less than the experiences you can put forth.

Graduate Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, England

interviewed at ALDI in February 2015.

Applied December 2014, received a letter few weeks later, called in January to arrange interview for February.

There were about 20-25 of us in the room. Don't worry about other candidates as most people are nice and normal graduates just like yourself. Nobody was intimidating or that impressive.

Format was as follows:

Introduction from a Director, all about Aldi. Nothing to do here but listen.

First 2 minute presentation: Basically why you, why Aldi, what's your local store & an 'amazing' fact about yourself. Don't worry about going over time because a lot of people did (some for 4-5 minutes). In fact, plan a 4-5 minute presentation because this is basically your only chance to sell yourself - milk it. Focus on your relevant experience i.e. leadership roles, teamwork, evidence you're a hard worker who goes above and beyond. The people who stood out the most here said things like 'I'm the type of person who would be determined to make my stores the best no matter what.' It sounds obvious but not many people said it, and it seems like that's what they're looking for. When talking about Aldi, talk about the opportunities provided by the role - people management experience, why it appeals to you as a highly motivated individual etc. Maybe drop in some research on Aldi to show your awareness but don't go overboard - Aldi don't need to be told how great they are, and reeling off stats about their recent performance or amazing business model is a waste of time in my opinion. That said, it's probably worth mentioning something in that vein to illustrate you understand the Aldi culture etc. Definitely visit a local store as the Director specifically asked about this. The 'amazing' fact is a tricky one - some people's were light-hearted and this clearly didn't go down well. The best ones were along the lines of 'I raised x for charity', 'I cycled from x to y', or 'I captained/ran/organised XYZ event/club/sport at university'. Do your best to make it impressive as it's a chance to show off; if yours is average, you won't look great.

Following this was another talk from the Director, about the role etc. Then we had 5 minutes to prepare for the second presentation, on 'Your Greatest Achievement'.

Second presentation: This was strictly time constrained. 2 minutes goes by pretty quickly when you're talking so try and cover a lot of ground in a concise way for this one. The best ones were similar to the amazing facts - an impressive charity event, volunteering abroad, studying abroad, some kind of leadership role at uni etc. If you don't have anything exceptional to talk about, prepare the best thing you can and polish it up as much as possible. Emphasise why you were so successful doing this and what you achieved.

Verbal/Comprehension/Numerical test: All pretty basic. Verbal was word meaning questions along the lines of 'If angst is to fear, then joy is to ?'. Comprehension was 'John, Tim, and Julie like apples. Katy and Simon like oranges and apples. Kevin, Patricia and Georgia like apples and kiwi fruit, but not oranges. Who can eat apples and kiwi fruit? Who doesn't eat oranges?' If you haven't done maths since GCSE, practice for the numerical. It's a variety of fairly simple add/subtract/multiply/divide, with some percentages, fractions and decimals. Not complicated (60% of 300, 5.5-2.4, calculating change due). There were also some number patterns to work out. None of it is complex but if your maths is rusty it's worth practicing so you don't panic under pressure.

Overall it was an average/poor experience. Any interview is worth taking for the experience of being under pressure, selling yourself and presenting in front of large groups, so from that perspective it was worthwhile. However, as an assessment it was poor. Some people had travelled considerable distances and having only 4 minutes to sell yourself in a room full of 20+ candidates is frustrating. I'm an extroverted and confident person and I found it difficult to stand out. Though nobody was particularly impressive, those that did best were those who emphasised their passion to succeed and work hard etc - if that sounds difficult to articulate, that's because it is. There was no opportunity to display your personality or sell yourself beyond the contrived and formulaic group presentations. Some group tasks would have made this a more balanced and substantial assessment. If you do face an assessment like mine, above all try and convince them that this is your dream job, you are passionate about the opportunity to join Aldi's culture, you love leading and working with people, and will work as hard as humanly possible to make your stores exceed their targets.

To succeed at this stage you need to convey that you genuinely want the job, believe you'd be exceptional at it, and that you're passionate about the Aldi culture.

Hope this helps & good luck!

Deputy Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, England
    Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, England

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI in September 2014.

I applied for the Deputy Store Manager role on line and within in a week I received a phone call asking if I can attend a group interview. In the group interview there was 9 off us and we got asked to know everything about the person next to you in two minutes which was easy and then we did the survival exercise on how you would survive on certain items etc. Near the end we did a flexibility form and maths test, Very basic! e.g. £100 change from £41.35. After I received another phone call for 1-1 interview and this only consisted of asking me about my lifestyle and why I want to work for ALDI, They couldn't offer me the DSM role because the role has been filled internally, and instead offered me a 25hr store assistant contract with no possible overtime due the efficiency they run by. I said I would consider it and then got offered a work trial and again very easy it's just a tour of the store and how they work. in the end I declined. the store assistant role which has no overtime just 25hrs flat. I think it's a good company to work for if your willing to work really hard and graft for the good pay.

No overtime for DSM.

Stock Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Middleton, Greater Manchester, North West England, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ALDI in September 2014.

Filled out an application online, received a phone call about a week later asking me very basic questions (what hours can you work, previous experience) and asked me to attend a group interview three days later.

Attended the group interview with 4 other applicants (ages between 20-23), everybody wore a full suit (including the interviewer), so wear one too if you don't want to feel underdressed.

Basically the interview consisted of the interviewer talking for several minutes at a time and followed up each time by asking general questions about what he'd just said. No questions are directed at anybody individually so be sure to speak up if you want to stand out. We then had to fill out a short test (dates/times you can work), several basic maths questions and a few other questions: Why do you want to work for Aldi? List three new things you've learnt about Aldi/job you've applied for etc. Then asked if we had an questions and were said they'd be in touch within 2/3 days via a phone call if you'd got the job, and a letter if you hadn't.

Interview Questions
    • None - all very straightforward. Although on the test in the interview   Answer Question

Graduate Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England
    Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ALDI in August 2014.

Applied online and received an email about 2 months later inviting me to a group interview. I didn't really know what to expect but I practiced the normal competency based questions etc thinking I would get a one-to-one interview. I arrived 45mins before the interview start time (they ask you to arrive earlier) where there were about 4 people already waiting. We were left in the reception area of the building for about 40mins before anyone came down to greet us, in this time take the opportunity to talk to the other candidates. It really helped me pick out which of them would be my biggest competition based on their work experience and degree subject etc. The competition was tough, a couple came from top universities and others had amazing work experience at big firms which threw me a little as I had just graduated with little experience.

The assistant to the Managing Director came down to take our names and sign us in, there were supposed to be 12 candidates that day but only 6 including myself had showed up, me being the only female.

The day was pretty laid back considering the horror stories I had read online. We were in a board room where we began the usual ice breaker activity introduce the person next to you. Then, we were given a sheet which stated a problem a store manager was having and a number of steps he should take to resolve the problem. First we had to individually sort the steps into an order, we were then split into two groups where we had to try and come up with an order ( more difficult as it sounds as everyone has different ideas on the order of things).

The MD then asked us to tell him the worst things we had heard about being on their graduate scheme, everyone managed to give at least three examples of bad things they had heard and surprisingly the majority of them were true. He explained that he wanted every candidate to understand what they were getting into before starting and then chickening out when it got tough, which is fair enough, thats why theres a £40k salary.

As the day went on, he told us stories about his past with Aldi and explained the role in detail to us. in between he gave us 3 mins to think about a subject we could talk about for 2 minutes. We had to stand up and give a little speech on whatever we could think to talk about. I chose to talk about my volunteering past but others chose Made in Chelsea and Cyber Warfare.

Then he split us into two again this time he gave us 5 mins to prepare a debate, one team for and the against the Olympics. I found this part the most difficult, I don't really have an interest in sports so my knowledge of the pros/cons is not great. Along with that being the only female there I was swamped by loud males who were passionate about the topic which made it hard for me to get a word in edgeways.

That was it, no individual interview just the group activities so just make sure you get your personality across and make sure you speak!

I received a letter in the post about 3/4 days later with the outcome of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are the worst things you have heard about working for Aldi   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Group Interview, Meeting an existing area manager in store, personality assessment, final interview with director.

Found initial 3 stages fine as a competitive background in sport creates a great base for demonstrating determination and commitment. Waiting on final interview.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leamington, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leamington, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ALDI.

Group interview - Meet with the Operations Director. You are first given a Math Test. The math test is basic arithmetic. The group is then broken into teams and given a topic to discuss, debate and reach a conclusion on. The team then appoint a spokesperson. to give feedback. The Operations Director watches how the team interact and who contributes to the debate.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate.

Aldi Graduate Management Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in May 2014.

Online application. 2 minute presentation on 'My Greatest Achievement'. Why Aldi? Q&A session.Numerical and Verbal reasoning tests.

I applied online and (as mentioned in other reviews) was subsequently sent another application form. Not what I was expecting as it was the sort of form you'd fill in for a Saturday job- nothing specific to the supposedly high end job you were aiming for. I then received a letter asking me to arrange a group interview by phone- this was for the Chelmsford distribution centre.

I would strongly discourage other female graduates from applying. As soon as the MD started talking to us in the Q&A it was apparent that nothing I said or did would make any difference as he barely looked in my direction. There were 11 of us, but only one other girl, and she likewise had difficulty in getting his attention. Having completed a law degree I am more than used to talking in front of people and producing valid points, but I could literally have composed a song and sung to the rafters about the wonders of Aldi and I would still never have stood a chance. The grim reality is that whilst they have to interview female applicants in order to look non-discriminatory they don't particularly want women working for them in this role as the hours they demand of you are so great and they're aware that women in their 20s are likely to want to have families at some point. I was quite taken aback by how blatantly this came across and wonder what a woman would have to do in order to actually get the position. Perhaps they choose a token woman every so often, but really I would discourage other girls from applying as they don't reimburse travel expenses.
    None of my review is written out of bitterness- I will still shop in Aldi but chalk it up to experience and from now on choose to apply for positions where they're judging you more on your intelligence and ability to do the job, and less on your willingness to sell your soul for an Audi A4.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particularly difficult- but with the tests they were sneaky and didn't put a clock in the room. They informed us they would tell us when we had 5 minutes left but never did. I felt this was quite unfair, but perhaps that was part of the test too.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ALDI in May 2014.

The first stage was to submit a CV, cover letter and application questions. Shortly after, I was invited to an assessment centre. This consisted of a short presentation from the finance and administration director before we were asked to present for 2 minutes about ourselves. We were then split into groups and were given a brief to use all the lego bricks to create an advertisement display. Changes were made to the brief while we were working on it to test how well we adapted. I received an offer a week later.