ALDI

2.8

Deputy Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, England

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI in September 2014.

I applied for the Deputy Store Manager role on line and within in a week I received a phone call asking if I can attend a group interview. In the group interview there was 9 off us and we got asked to know everything about the person next to you in two minutes which was easy and then we did the survival exercise on how you would survive on certain items etc. Near the end we did a flexibility form and maths test, Very basic! e.g. £100 change from £41.35. After I received another phone call for 1-1 interview and this only consisted of asking me about my lifestyle and why I want to work for ALDI, They couldn't offer me the DSM role because the role has been filled internally, and instead offered me a 25hr store assistant contract with no possible overtime due the efficiency they run by. I said I would consider it and then got offered a work trial and again very easy it's just a tour of the store and how they work. in the end I declined. the store assistant role which has no overtime just 25hrs flat. I think it's a good company to work for if your willing to work really hard and graft for the good pay.

No overtime for DSM.

Stock Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middleton, Greater Manchester, North West England, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ALDI in September 2014.

Filled out an application online, received a phone call about a week later asking me very basic questions (what hours can you work, previous experience) and asked me to attend a group interview three days later.

Attended the group interview with 4 other applicants (ages between 20-23), everybody wore a full suit (including the interviewer), so wear one too if you don't want to feel underdressed.

Basically the interview consisted of the interviewer talking for several minutes at a time and followed up each time by asking general questions about what he'd just said. No questions are directed at anybody individually so be sure to speak up if you want to stand out. We then had to fill out a short test (dates/times you can work), several basic maths questions and a few other questions: Why do you want to work for Aldi? List three new things you've learnt about Aldi/job you've applied for etc. Then asked if we had an questions and were said they'd be in touch within 2/3 days via a phone call if you'd got the job, and a letter if you hadn't.

Interview Questions
    • None - all very straightforward. Although on the test in the interview   Answer Question

Graduate Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ALDI in August 2014.

Applied online and received an email about 2 months later inviting me to a group interview. I didn't really know what to expect but I practiced the normal competency based questions etc thinking I would get a one-to-one interview. I arrived 45mins before the interview start time (they ask you to arrive earlier) where there were about 4 people already waiting. We were left in the reception area of the building for about 40mins before anyone came down to greet us, in this time take the opportunity to talk to the other candidates. It really helped me pick out which of them would be my biggest competition based on their work experience and degree subject etc. The competition was tough, a couple came from top universities and others had amazing work experience at big firms which threw me a little as I had just graduated with little experience.

The assistant to the Managing Director came down to take our names and sign us in, there were supposed to be 12 candidates that day but only 6 including myself had showed up, me being the only female.

The day was pretty laid back considering the horror stories I had read online. We were in a board room where we began the usual ice breaker activity introduce the person next to you. Then, we were given a sheet which stated a problem a store manager was having and a number of steps he should take to resolve the problem. First we had to individually sort the steps into an order, we were then split into two groups where we had to try and come up with an order ( more difficult as it sounds as everyone has different ideas on the order of things).

The MD then asked us to tell him the worst things we had heard about being on their graduate scheme, everyone managed to give at least three examples of bad things they had heard and surprisingly the majority of them were true. He explained that he wanted every candidate to understand what they were getting into before starting and then chickening out when it got tough, which is fair enough, thats why theres a £40k salary.

As the day went on, he told us stories about his past with Aldi and explained the role in detail to us. in between he gave us 3 mins to think about a subject we could talk about for 2 minutes. We had to stand up and give a little speech on whatever we could think to talk about. I chose to talk about my volunteering past but others chose Made in Chelsea and Cyber Warfare.

Then he split us into two again this time he gave us 5 mins to prepare a debate, one team for and the against the Olympics. I found this part the most difficult, I don't really have an interest in sports so my knowledge of the pros/cons is not great. Along with that being the only female there I was swamped by loud males who were passionate about the topic which made it hard for me to get a word in edgeways.

That was it, no individual interview just the group activities so just make sure you get your personality across and make sure you speak!

I received a letter in the post about 3/4 days later with the outcome of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are the worst things you have heard about working for Aldi   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Group Interview, Meeting an existing area manager in store, personality assessment, final interview with director.

Found initial 3 stages fine as a competitive background in sport creates a great base for demonstrating determination and commitment. Waiting on final interview.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leamington, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leamington, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ALDI.

Group interview - Meet with the Operations Director. You are first given a Math Test. The math test is basic arithmetic. The group is then broken into teams and given a topic to discuss, debate and reach a conclusion on. The team then appoint a spokesperson. to give feedback. The Operations Director watches how the team interact and who contributes to the debate.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate.

Aldi Graduate Management Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in May 2014.

Online application. 2 minute presentation on 'My Greatest Achievement'. Why Aldi? Q&A session.Numerical and Verbal reasoning tests.

I applied online and (as mentioned in other reviews) was subsequently sent another application form. Not what I was expecting as it was the sort of form you'd fill in for a Saturday job- nothing specific to the supposedly high end job you were aiming for. I then received a letter asking me to arrange a group interview by phone- this was for the Chelmsford distribution centre.

I would strongly discourage other female graduates from applying. As soon as the MD started talking to us in the Q&A it was apparent that nothing I said or did would make any difference as he barely looked in my direction. There were 11 of us, but only one other girl, and she likewise had difficulty in getting his attention. Having completed a law degree I am more than used to talking in front of people and producing valid points, but I could literally have composed a song and sung to the rafters about the wonders of Aldi and I would still never have stood a chance. The grim reality is that whilst they have to interview female applicants in order to look non-discriminatory they don't particularly want women working for them in this role as the hours they demand of you are so great and they're aware that women in their 20s are likely to want to have families at some point. I was quite taken aback by how blatantly this came across and wonder what a woman would have to do in order to actually get the position. Perhaps they choose a token woman every so often, but really I would discourage other girls from applying as they don't reimburse travel expenses.
    None of my review is written out of bitterness- I will still shop in Aldi but chalk it up to experience and from now on choose to apply for positions where they're judging you more on your intelligence and ability to do the job, and less on your willingness to sell your soul for an Audi A4.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particularly difficult- but with the tests they were sneaky and didn't put a clock in the room. They informed us they would tell us when we had 5 minutes left but never did. I felt this was quite unfair, but perhaps that was part of the test too.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ALDI.

The process starts with an online application which asks You in detail about Your education, work experience and generally about Yourself. It does say that if You haven't been contacted within 2 weeks, You have been unsuccessful however they came back to me after 6 weeks so be patient. I was invited for a group interview. At the interview there were 20+ people, everyone from different backgrounds and experiences. After brief introductions there was a maths test questions consisted of the like of 8 x 1/4 or 1897.43+1237.34. No calculators allowed ofc.
    Than we had to do a couple short presentations followed by a survival group exercise. Than there was a q&a session with the recruiters and that's it.

Industrial Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ALDI in April 2014.

1. Online application form
    2. They send you an application form
    3. Invite to group interview
    The group interview started with a numerical and verbal reasoning test. You were then asked to introduce yourself to the group and talk about what university you were at, the closest Aldi to you and why you were suited to the placement. You were then given 5 minutes to prepare a 3 min presentation on your greatest achievement. The group was then asked a series of questions e.g. what do you think makes a good area manager? Why is Aldi successful? etc

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was being heard. They asked few questions and you had to fight to answer   Answer Question

Grad Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ALDI.

first ac just a series of questions about aldi

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in February 2014.

Contacted by a Recruitment Consultant. The recruitment process is over 3 stages, a group recruit, a one-to-one with a Regional Operations Director and finally a store trial.

The group recruit I went to had about 15 candidates and consisted of an ice breaker, a group exercise, a basic maths test and a group interview.

The ice breaker intro basically involves you introducing yourself in about 3 sentences including name, current employer and work history plus one interesting fact about yourself.

For the group exercise you are split into small groups of 4 or 5 depending on the size of the group. You are given a hypothetical scenario which individually you are given 10-15 minutes to read through, write down what action you would take and then, in your group discus your findings and agree a collective course of action. The scenario we had was the one where 6 people from diverse backgrounds and different life experiences have to be rescued from a cave. Due to conditions the best case scenario means only 5 can be rescued. There is no correct answer. This all about your ability to put across your point of view, understand other people's point of view and generally agree to disagree if necessary to gain group consensus. HINT! This is not a competition so talking for the sake of talking will get you nowhere. Asking quieter members of the group what their views are, summarising and keeping an eye on the time will score you points.

The maths test is very basic arithmetic of about 20 questions in 5 mins.

The group interview involves the regional ops director or whoever is hosting the session asking questions to the group about Aldi and the general retail environment. Obviously you need to brush up on this and prepare a couple of questions to throw back at the end. HINT! They love talking about their phenomenal growth and new store openings. Also think about why this has happened and what they'll need to do to retain their new found customers.

HINT! If you have not already done so go and visit at least two Aldi stores and take note of product availability, staffing levels, queue lengths, amount of checkouts open, politeness, friendliness of the staff, number of pallets on the shop floor, ease of shop, car parking spaces etc.

The second stage of the process is the one-to-one with a Regional Director. This is more a conversation about you, your work history, your retail knowledge and your aspirations. This is not a competency based interview but be able to discuss you resume in detail. I was offered a store trial at this stage and told I'd be contacted within a week. However I didn't hear anything and had to do all the chasing. At this point all the professionalism they had demonstrated prior to this fell away.

The store trial is supposed to involve spending time with a store manager where you are given the chance to really see what it's like working there, a chance for you to see if you would like to work there and an interview with an area manager. On my trial the Store Manager had something else planned and didn't even acknowledge my presence let alone explain or apologise for this. Instead I was given a tour of the store by a Store Assistant, asked to help work some stock and help tidy up. After an hour of this the Area Manager came in and again we had a similar interview/conversation about my work experience and retail in general. I was told that I'd hear from them in the next couple of days. After a week I spoke with the Recruitment Consultant who told me they did not wish to further my application. I didn't receive a thanks but no thanks letter from Aldi.

Interview Questions
    • Be careful when answering questions on future aspirations. If you are at that stage in your career where you could step across to an Aldi Store Manager although the pay is very good there are no positions above this unless you have a 2:1 degree or above.   View Answer