ALDI Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.8

Area Manager Interview

Group Interview, Meeting an existing area manager in store, personality assessment, final interview with director.

Found initial 3 stages fine as a competitive background in sport creates a great base for demonstrating determination and commitment. Waiting on final interview.

Store Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in July 2013.

Online application - lots of questions. Phone call inviting me to an informal get to know you group interview in store. Around 6 of us with the area manager. Everyone wore shirt/tie etc. Went around the room introducing yourself. You then done a maths test - adding/subtracting/multiplication/division/long multiplication. Then you done a shop floor walk where you had to find positives and negatives about the store. You then go back in and discuss your findings.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about yourself - I do not think i sold myself as much as i should have at this point. I went first. Everyone else really detailed their work history/education at this point. If its been a while since you left school practice your simple maths skills. You do not get a calculator.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Leamington, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leamington, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

Group interview - Meet with the Operations Director. You are first given a Math Test. The math test is basic arithmetic. The group is then broken into teams and given a topic to discuss, debate and reach a conclusion on. The team then appoint a spokesperson. to give feedback. The Operations Director watches how the team interact and who contributes to the debate.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate.

Aldi Graduate Management Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chelmsford, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in May 2014.

Online application. 2 minute presentation on 'My Greatest Achievement'. Why Aldi? Q&A session.Numerical and Verbal reasoning tests.

I applied online and (as mentioned in other reviews) was subsequently sent another application form. Not what I was expecting as it was the sort of form you'd fill in for a Saturday job- nothing specific to the supposedly high end job you were aiming for. I then received a letter asking me to arrange a group interview by phone- this was for the Chelmsford distribution centre.

I would strongly discourage other female graduates from applying. As soon as the MD started talking to us in the Q&A it was apparent that nothing I said or did would make any difference as he barely looked in my direction. There were 11 of us, but only one other girl, and she likewise had difficulty in getting his attention. Having completed a law degree I am more than used to talking in front of people and producing valid points, but I could literally have composed a song and sung to the rafters about the wonders of Aldi and I would still never have stood a chance. The grim reality is that whilst they have to interview female applicants in order to look non-discriminatory they don't particularly want women working for them in this role as the hours they demand of you are so great and they're aware that women in their 20s are likely to want to have families at some point. I was quite taken aback by how blatantly this came across and wonder what a woman would have to do in order to actually get the position. Perhaps they choose a token woman every so often, but really I would discourage other girls from applying as they don't reimburse travel expenses.
    None of my review is written out of bitterness- I will still shop in Aldi but chalk it up to experience and from now on choose to apply for positions where they're judging you more on your intelligence and ability to do the job, and less on your willingness to sell your soul for an Audi A4.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particularly difficult- but with the tests they were sneaky and didn't put a clock in the room. They informed us they would tell us when we had 5 minutes left but never did. I felt this was quite unfair, but perhaps that was part of the test too.   Answer Question

Industrial Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chelmsford, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at ALDI in April 2014.

1. Online application form
    2. They send you an application form
    3. Invite to group interview
    The group interview started with a numerical and verbal reasoning test. You were then asked to introduce yourself to the group and talk about what university you were at, the closest Aldi to you and why you were suited to the placement. You were then given 5 minutes to prepare a 3 min presentation on your greatest achievement. The group was then asked a series of questions e.g. what do you think makes a good area manager? Why is Aldi successful? etc

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was being heard. They asked few questions and you had to fight to answer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atherstone, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atherstone, England

I applied through other source - interviewed at ALDI in February 2014.

Went to group interview. 1 person to assess 16 people. 1 x group exercise then timed maths questions. Not really given opportunity to show skills etc. Seemed rushed as another group waiting

Interview Questions
    • No correct answer to group exercise - just to assess your interacting / leadership skills. I thought I had done quite well as listened to others but also influenced some peoples decisions and get them to agree to change their answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Birmingham, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in February 2014.

Contacted by a Recruitment Consultant. The recruitment process is over 3 stages, a group recruit, a one-to-one with a Regional Operations Director and finally a store trial.

The group recruit I went to had about 15 candidates and consisted of an ice breaker, a group exercise, a basic maths test and a group interview.

The ice breaker intro basically involves you introducing yourself in about 3 sentences including name, current employer and work history plus one interesting fact about yourself.

For the group exercise you are split into small groups of 4 or 5 depending on the size of the group. You are given a hypothetical scenario which individually you are given 10-15 minutes to read through, write down what action you would take and then, in your group discus your findings and agree a collective course of action. The scenario we had was the one where 6 people from diverse backgrounds and different life experiences have to be rescued from a cave. Due to conditions the best case scenario means only 5 can be rescued. There is no correct answer. This all about your ability to put across your point of view, understand other people's point of view and generally agree to disagree if necessary to gain group consensus. HINT! This is not a competition so talking for the sake of talking will get you nowhere. Asking quieter members of the group what their views are, summarising and keeping an eye on the time will score you points.

The maths test is very basic arithmetic of about 20 questions in 5 mins.

The group interview involves the regional ops director or whoever is hosting the session asking questions to the group about Aldi and the general retail environment. Obviously you need to brush up on this and prepare a couple of questions to throw back at the end. HINT! They love talking about their phenomenal growth and new store openings. Also think about why this has happened and what they'll need to do to retain their new found customers.

HINT! If you have not already done so go and visit at least two Aldi stores and take note of product availability, staffing levels, queue lengths, amount of checkouts open, politeness, friendliness of the staff, number of pallets on the shop floor, ease of shop, car parking spaces etc.

The second stage of the process is the one-to-one with a Regional Director. This is more a conversation about you, your work history, your retail knowledge and your aspirations. This is not a competency based interview but be able to discuss you resume in detail. I was offered a store trial at this stage and told I'd be contacted within a week. However I didn't hear anything and had to do all the chasing. At this point all the professionalism they had demonstrated prior to this fell away.

The store trial is supposed to involve spending time with a store manager where you are given the chance to really see what it's like working there, a chance for you to see if you would like to work there and an interview with an area manager. On my trial the Store Manager had something else planned and didn't even acknowledge my presence let alone explain or apologise for this. Instead I was given a tour of the store by a Store Assistant, asked to help work some stock and help tidy up. After an hour of this the Area Manager came in and again we had a similar interview/conversation about my work experience and retail in general. I was told that I'd hear from them in the next couple of days. After a week I spoke with the Recruitment Consultant who told me they did not wish to further my application. I didn't receive a thanks but no thanks letter from Aldi.

Interview Questions
    • Be careful when answering questions on future aspirations. If you are at that stage in your career where you could step across to an Aldi Store Manager although the pay is very good there are no positions above this unless you have a 2:1 degree or above.   View Answer

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

The process starts with an online application which asks You in detail about Your education, work experience and generally about Yourself. It does say that if You haven't been contacted within 2 weeks, You have been unsuccessful however they came back to me after 6 weeks so be patient. I was invited for a group interview. At the interview there were 20+ people, everyone from different backgrounds and experiences. After brief introductions there was a maths test questions consisted of the like of 8 x 1/4 or 1897.43+1237.34. No calculators allowed ofc.
    Than we had to do a couple short presentations followed by a survival group exercise. Than there was a q&a session with the recruiters and that's it.

Grad Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at ALDI.

first ac just a series of questions about aldi

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Darlington, North East England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Darlington, North East England, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in December 2013.

The initial application was online, it was fairly straightforward but did not include any online testing, unlike many similar positions with other companies (Waitrose, Sainsbury's, etc.).
    About ten days after applying I received a letter from the regional department requesting I complete a standard Aldi application form, I thought this was a little odd. After returning this I received a letter in the post about a week later requesting me to call up and arrange a group interview. The earliest date I could get was about 5 weeks later. There were 12 candidates at the group interview and the morning ran as follows:

1) Numerical and verbal reasoning aptitude tests
    2) Introduce yourself to the interviewing director; name, uni degree, why aldi, interesting fact etc.
    3) 5 minutes to prepare a 2 minute presentation on your greatest achievement in front of the other candidates
    4) Interactive q & a

Overall I found it quite challenging as there were some very self assured candidates who tried to hog the limelight and as there are so many of you there it is important to make sure you are heard when you have a strong point without appearing forceful.

Awaiting second interview

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!