ALDI Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015

2.8

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI.

Interview

After applying online, I was accepted to take a video interview. There were 10 questions. You are given around 3 seconds to read each question, and then you have 30 seconds to a minute to answer each question. It is a very pressurised situation but they are looking to see how you deal with the stress of it.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Aldi? What has surprised you when doing your research for Aldi?   1 Answer

Industrial Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atherstone, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ALDI (Atherstone, England) in April 2015.

Interview

A group interview consisting of about 10 people. We started with an introduction of ourselves followed by a group scenario. We then had to prepare a 2-minute presentation on a topic of our choice where the timing was strict. After this were reasoning tests and then we could as questions to the interviewers.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at ALDI (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England).

Interview

You apply through ALDI website,
    If you are selected, you will be asked to come to one of their regional offices

Brief introduction: your full name, what are you currently doing,? Where are you living etc

Interview Questions

• You will be u gasked to do s brief introduction
      A role play - you have crash landed in northern hemisphere near green land,. Pilot is dead you and other 3 people survived, no SOS messzfes could be sent due to the break down of communication
      . You will be as ked to list the items of importance about 15 of them in the order of . You have to do it as a group exercise with in givi.

en period of time
      Make sure you talk and come to agreement Ir if you disagree give reasons why you
      Then a new role play, you will be paired and give a description id a store manager and a another team member. The employee is keen to become a Deputy but has issues such as coming to work late and taking too much time to unload a pall
      You will be acting either the employee or the store manager . How go you act as the store manager or employee
      Then the small maths about 20 question with in 5 minutes
      And taking about two minutes they you are passionate about
      Thats it

Answer Question

Store Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI.

Interview

First day invited to a group interview with other applicants lasting 1 hour. We were given tasks to complete such as role play, how to communicate with customers and speaking in front of a group. The interviewer is present throughout the process and decides who will be selected for 1-on-1 interview.

Second day is a 1-one interview with the area manager lasting 20-30 minutes. Initially the interviewer will confirm some personal details, followed by your shift preference. It is a good idea to have examples of team working and planning. Aldi want people who can complete tasks at a set time limit, e.g fill tinned food shelves in 30 minutes etc, scan 50 items per minute on the tills. This will be recorded and if you don't hit your targets then you may be disciplined.

Last day is a work trial. I did not attend at this point because I had an offer from another company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Aldi?
      Can you work early mornings, Night shifts, weekends, bank holidays, overtime etc?
      Are you able to work in a target driven environment? Can you give an example of when you had to work towards a deadline?
      What are your hobbies?
      Do you have any questions?

1 Answer

Graduate Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, England

Application

interviewed at ALDI (Chelmsford, England) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied December 2014, received a letter few weeks later, called in January to arrange interview for February.

There were about 20-25 of us in the room. Don't worry about other candidates as most people are nice and normal graduates just like yourself. Nobody was intimidating or that impressive.

Format was as follows:

Introduction from a Director, all about Aldi. Nothing to do here but listen.

First 2 minute presentation: Basically why you, why Aldi, what's your local store & an 'amazing' fact about yourself. Don't worry about going over time because a lot of people did (some for 4-5 minutes). In fact, plan a 4-5 minute presentation because this is basically your only chance to sell yourself - milk it. Focus on your relevant experience i.e. leadership roles, teamwork, evidence you're a hard worker who goes above and beyond. The people who stood out the most here said things like 'I'm the type of person who would be determined to make my stores the best no matter what.' It sounds obvious but not many people said it, and it seems like that's what they're looking for. When talking about Aldi, talk about the opportunities provided by the role - people management experience, why it appeals to you as a highly motivated individual etc. Maybe drop in some research on Aldi to show your awareness but don't go overboard - Aldi don't need to be told how great they are, and reeling off stats about their recent performance or amazing business model is a waste of time in my opinion. That said, it's probably worth mentioning something in that vein to illustrate you understand the Aldi culture etc. Definitely visit a local store as the Director specifically asked about this. The 'amazing' fact is a tricky one - some people's were light-hearted and this clearly didn't go down well. The best ones were along the lines of 'I raised x for charity', 'I cycled from x to y', or 'I captained/ran/organised XYZ event/club/sport at university'. Do your best to make it impressive as it's a chance to show off; if yours is average, you won't look great.

Following this was another talk from the Director, about the role etc. Then we had 5 minutes to prepare for the second presentation, on 'Your Greatest Achievement'.

Second presentation: This was strictly time constrained. 2 minutes goes by pretty quickly when you're talking so try and cover a lot of ground in a concise way for this one. The best ones were similar to the amazing facts - an impressive charity event, volunteering abroad, studying abroad, some kind of leadership role at uni etc. If you don't have anything exceptional to talk about, prepare the best thing you can and polish it up as much as possible. Emphasise why you were so successful doing this and what you achieved.

Verbal/Comprehension/Numerical test: All pretty basic. Verbal was word meaning questions along the lines of 'If angst is to fear, then joy is to ?'. Comprehension was 'John, Tim, and Julie like apples. Katy and Simon like oranges and apples. Kevin, Patricia and Georgia like apples and kiwi fruit, but not oranges. Who can eat apples and kiwi fruit? Who doesn't eat oranges?' If you haven't done maths since GCSE, practice for the numerical. It's a variety of fairly simple add/subtract/multiply/divide, with some percentages, fractions and decimals. Not complicated (60% of 300, 5.5-2.4, calculating change due). There were also some number patterns to work out. None of it is complex but if your maths is rusty it's worth practicing so you don't panic under pressure.

Overall it was an average/poor experience. Any interview is worth taking for the experience of being under pressure, selling yourself and presenting in front of large groups, so from that perspective it was worthwhile. However, as an assessment it was poor. Some people had travelled considerable distances and having only 4 minutes to sell yourself in a room full of 20+ candidates is frustrating. I'm an extroverted and confident person and I found it difficult to stand out. Though nobody was particularly impressive, those that did best were those who emphasised their passion to succeed and work hard etc - if that sounds difficult to articulate, that's because it is. There was no opportunity to display your personality or sell yourself beyond the contrived and formulaic group presentations. Some group tasks would have made this a more balanced and substantial assessment. If you do face an assessment like mine, above all try and convince them that this is your dream job, you are passionate about the opportunity to join Aldi's culture, you love leading and working with people, and will work as hard as humanly possible to make your stores exceed their targets.

To succeed at this stage you need to convey that you genuinely want the job, believe you'd be exceptional at it, and that you're passionate about the Aldi culture.

Hope this helps & good luck!

Stock Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in February 2015.

Interview

I was given a telephone interview after completing the online application. They basically asked the same questions which were on the application and a few extras like;
    - Why did you apply for this role?
    - What do you know about the company (Aldi)?

After 3 weeks of waiting a got a email to say there wasn't a job for me to go into but they would hold my information for 12 months and put me forward for the jobs as they came.

Industrial Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, England

Application

interviewed at ALDI (Chelmsford, England) in February 2015.

Interview

Online application, followed by a letter asking for me to send my academic qualifications to the specific area I applied for. Following this a group interview, however this was quite poor in my eyes as it was over 25 people at the group interview and it was both undergraduates and graduates, which meant the interviewer was interviewing for two different jobs at the same time which I feel is lazy from the company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you suited for this role?
      Closest Aldi?
      Greatest Achievement?

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ALDI in February 2015.

Interview

A two minute pitch about who we were and why we should get the job, another two minute presentation about our greatest achievement, and a numeracy/literacy/comprehension test.

We were in a group of 20+ people; far too many to accurately gauge anything of our ability or personality in my opinion, so my advice would be to be bold and try and your best to stand out from the crowd. With such a limited interview format, however, your personality and leadership qualities matter less than the experiences you can put forth.

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Darlington, North East England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ALDI (Darlington, North East England, England) in January 2015.

Interview

Online application first with a few questions. Nothing too difficult.
    Next stage is an online video interview. This is all automated with the questions appearing on screen and then you answering under time constraints.
    Next stage is the assessment centre. In a large circular room, you are asked to play our several scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Which of the following candidates would you hire? (presented with CV's)   Answer Question

Deputy Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, England

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI (Lancaster, England) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied for the Deputy Store Manager role on line and within in a week I received a phone call asking if I can attend a group interview. In the group interview there was 9 off us and we got asked to know everything about the person next to you in two minutes which was easy and then we did the survival exercise on how you would survive on certain items etc. Near the end we did a flexibility form and maths test, Very basic! e.g. £100 change from £41.35. After I received another phone call for 1-1 interview and this only consisted of asking me about my lifestyle and why I want to work for ALDI, They couldn't offer me the DSM role because the role has been filled internally, and instead offered me a 25hr store assistant contract with no possible overtime due the efficiency they run by. I said I would consider it and then got offered a work trial and again very easy it's just a tour of the store and how they work. in the end I declined. the store assistant role which has no overtime just 25hrs flat. I think it's a good company to work for if your willing to work really hard and graft for the good pay.

No overtime for DSM.