ALDI

2.8

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in February 2014.

Contacted by a Recruitment Consultant. The recruitment process is over 3 stages, a group recruit, a one-to-one with a Regional Operations Director and finally a store trial.

The group recruit I went to had about 15 candidates and consisted of an ice breaker, a group exercise, a basic maths test and a group interview.

The ice breaker intro basically involves you introducing yourself in about 3 sentences including name, current employer and work history plus one interesting fact about yourself.

For the group exercise you are split into small groups of 4 or 5 depending on the size of the group. You are given a hypothetical scenario which individually you are given 10-15 minutes to read through, write down what action you would take and then, in your group discus your findings and agree a collective course of action. The scenario we had was the one where 6 people from diverse backgrounds and different life experiences have to be rescued from a cave. Due to conditions the best case scenario means only 5 can be rescued. There is no correct answer. This all about your ability to put across your point of view, understand other people's point of view and generally agree to disagree if necessary to gain group consensus. HINT! This is not a competition so talking for the sake of talking will get you nowhere. Asking quieter members of the group what their views are, summarising and keeping an eye on the time will score you points.

The maths test is very basic arithmetic of about 20 questions in 5 mins.

The group interview involves the regional ops director or whoever is hosting the session asking questions to the group about Aldi and the general retail environment. Obviously you need to brush up on this and prepare a couple of questions to throw back at the end. HINT! They love talking about their phenomenal growth and new store openings. Also think about why this has happened and what they'll need to do to retain their new found customers.

HINT! If you have not already done so go and visit at least two Aldi stores and take note of product availability, staffing levels, queue lengths, amount of checkouts open, politeness, friendliness of the staff, number of pallets on the shop floor, ease of shop, car parking spaces etc.

The second stage of the process is the one-to-one with a Regional Director. This is more a conversation about you, your work history, your retail knowledge and your aspirations. This is not a competency based interview but be able to discuss you resume in detail. I was offered a store trial at this stage and told I'd be contacted within a week. However I didn't hear anything and had to do all the chasing. At this point all the professionalism they had demonstrated prior to this fell away.

The store trial is supposed to involve spending time with a store manager where you are given the chance to really see what it's like working there, a chance for you to see if you would like to work there and an interview with an area manager. On my trial the Store Manager had something else planned and didn't even acknowledge my presence let alone explain or apologise for this. Instead I was given a tour of the store by a Store Assistant, asked to help work some stock and help tidy up. After an hour of this the Area Manager came in and again we had a similar interview/conversation about my work experience and retail in general. I was told that I'd hear from them in the next couple of days. After a week I spoke with the Recruitment Consultant who told me they did not wish to further my application. I didn't receive a thanks but no thanks letter from Aldi.

Interview Questions
    • Be careful when answering questions on future aspirations. If you are at that stage in your career where you could step across to an Aldi Store Manager although the pay is very good there are no positions above this unless you have a 2:1 degree or above.   View Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atherstone, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atherstone, England

I applied through other source – interviewed at ALDI in February 2014.

Went to group interview. 1 person to assess 16 people. 1 x group exercise then timed maths questions. Not really given opportunity to show skills etc. Seemed rushed as another group waiting

Interview Questions
    • No correct answer to group exercise - just to assess your interacting / leadership skills. I thought I had done quite well as listened to others but also influenced some peoples decisions and get them to agree to change their answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Darlington, North East England, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in December 2013.

The initial application was online, it was fairly straightforward but did not include any online testing, unlike many similar positions with other companies (Waitrose, Sainsbury's, etc.).
    About ten days after applying I received a letter from the regional department requesting I complete a standard Aldi application form, I thought this was a little odd. After returning this I received a letter in the post about a week later requesting me to call up and arrange a group interview. The earliest date I could get was about 5 weeks later. There were 12 candidates at the group interview and the morning ran as follows:

1) Numerical and verbal reasoning aptitude tests
    2) Introduce yourself to the interviewing director; name, uni degree, why aldi, interesting fact etc.
    3) 5 minutes to prepare a 2 minute presentation on your greatest achievement in front of the other candidates
    4) Interactive q & a

Overall I found it quite challenging as there were some very self assured candidates who tried to hog the limelight and as there are so many of you there it is important to make sure you are heard when you have a strong point without appearing forceful.

Awaiting second interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Darlington, North East England, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ALDI in November 2013.

Had a group interview for Aldi a few weeks ago. They want the kind of people who are willing to stab others in the back to get to the top.

Started by having to give a 2 minute presentation on anything (do not bring notes with you, one man had his confiscated and was told he was unprofessional).

Secondly had to do assessments - numerical reasoning and a personality test. We were told if we didnt have the right personality we would be immediately declined a position.

Most people were out to get each other which was very uncomfortable.

Finally we did a survival challenge. My group didnt actually seem to decide on anything as they all wanted to be the leader. I literally could not get a word in (and I talk a lot!).

Interview Questions
    • you have 30 seconds to prepare a 2 minute presentation on anything   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI in October 2013.

online form, then assessment day.

Interview Questions
    • the day ran as follows:
      1. tests (maths, sequence, verbal); very time pressured, a lot of people seemed to run out of time so work fast!
      2. 2 minute introduction of yourself (interesting fact, why aldi etc)
      3. 2/3 minute presentation on your greatest achievement.
      4. question and answer session (questions directed both ways)

Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middleton, Greater Manchester, North West England, England

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI in October 2013.

Online application then invited by letter to assessment center. Assessment centre started with short introduction with 3 facts about yourself, then quick Q&A they want you to have a lot of knowledge of aldi's products and business model. Then all given 5 mins for a 3 min presentation on anything (couldnt be one of your previously given facts). People did presentations on placement years, jobs and volunteering. One person in our group came with laminated certificates and sat smiling in the prep time, the point of the exercise is to see how you cope under pressure don't look over prepared. Then we had a raft survival task sorting individually priorities items then discuss and come to group conclusion. We then had the fun part of the numeracy, verbal reasoning and personality tests.

Interview Questions
    • I found the tests the hardest part there is only 20 mins to fill out all the tests time was an issue.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bathgate, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bathgate, Scotland

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ALDI in July 2013.

Initial application followed by a group interview and finally a one on one interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Aldi (other than the money)?   Answer Question

Store Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in July 2013.

Online application - lots of questions. Phone call inviting me to an informal get to know you group interview in store. Around 6 of us with the area manager. Everyone wore shirt/tie etc. Went around the room introducing yourself. You then done a maths test - adding/subtracting/multiplication/division/long multiplication. Then you done a shop floor walk where you had to find positives and negatives about the store. You then go back in and discuss your findings.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about yourself - I do not think i sold myself as much as i should have at this point. I went first. Everyone else really detailed their work history/education at this point. If its been a while since you left school practice your simple maths skills. You do not get a calculator.   Answer Question

Store Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at ALDI.

Complete radio silence for about 5 months before they got back to me and scheduled an interview. Got through to the next stage and had a work trial, which was complete waste of time as they had me arranging the products during the busiest hours, but it got me to the next stage which was again another interview, after which I got hired.

Interview Questions
    • The questions they asked were all very basic, "Why should we hire you?" "What are your strengths / weaknesses?" "Tell an example of yourself working as a part of a team."   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgwater, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgwater, England

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ALDI in March 2013.

I applied online after seeing an advertisement in my local paper, two weeks later I received a text from the district manager inviting me to a interview a few days later. All I was given was a Date, Time and Location, no information of any ID/Right to Work Document. I was under the impression it would simply be a 1-to-1 interview, but it turned out to be a small group interview. It started off us each giving a small bit of information about ourselves, we were then separated into two smaller groups and we had to give some information about ALDI and answer some basic questions. After relaying back to District manager (who was conducting the interview) we then had to come up with a new product for ALDI, after that we had a small 'presentation' about what it's like working for ALDI and were given the opportunity to ask questions. Finally we had 1-to-1 interviews to finish.

Interview Questions
    • Designing the product, we only had 10 minutes to come up with a product, design what it looked like, figure out pricing and marketing.   View Answer