ALDI

Updated 4 Mar 2015
Updated 4 Mar 2015

2.8

Summer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ALDI in May 2014.

The first stage was to submit a CV, cover letter and application questions. Shortly after, I was invited to an assessment centre. This consisted of a short presentation from the finance and administration director before we were asked to present for 2 minutes about ourselves. We were then split into groups and were given a brief to use all the lego bricks to create an advertisement display. Changes were made to the brief while we were working on it to test how well we adapted. I received an offer a week later.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ALDI.

The process starts with an online application which asks You in detail about Your education, work experience and generally about Yourself. It does say that if You haven't been contacted within 2 weeks, You have been unsuccessful however they came back to me after 6 weeks so be patient. I was invited for a group interview. At the interview there were 20+ people, everyone from different backgrounds and experiences. After brief introductions there was a maths test questions consisted of the like of 8 x 1/4 or 1897.43+1237.34. No calculators allowed ofc.
    Than we had to do a couple short presentations followed by a survival group exercise. Than there was a q&a session with the recruiters and that's it.

Industrial Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ALDI in April 2014.

1. Online application form
    2. They send you an application form
    3. Invite to group interview
    The group interview started with a numerical and verbal reasoning test. You were then asked to introduce yourself to the group and talk about what university you were at, the closest Aldi to you and why you were suited to the placement. You were then given 5 minutes to prepare a 3 min presentation on your greatest achievement. The group was then asked a series of questions e.g. what do you think makes a good area manager? Why is Aldi successful? etc

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was being heard. They asked few questions and you had to fight to answer   Answer Question

Grad Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ALDI.

first ac just a series of questions about aldi

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England
    Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in February 2014.

Contacted by a Recruitment Consultant. The recruitment process is over 3 stages, a group recruit, a one-to-one with a Regional Operations Director and finally a store trial.

The group recruit I went to had about 15 candidates and consisted of an ice breaker, a group exercise, a basic maths test and a group interview.

The ice breaker intro basically involves you introducing yourself in about 3 sentences including name, current employer and work history plus one interesting fact about yourself.

For the group exercise you are split into small groups of 4 or 5 depending on the size of the group. You are given a hypothetical scenario which individually you are given 10-15 minutes to read through, write down what action you would take and then, in your group discus your findings and agree a collective course of action. The scenario we had was the one where 6 people from diverse backgrounds and different life experiences have to be rescued from a cave. Due to conditions the best case scenario means only 5 can be rescued. There is no correct answer. This all about your ability to put across your point of view, understand other people's point of view and generally agree to disagree if necessary to gain group consensus. HINT! This is not a competition so talking for the sake of talking will get you nowhere. Asking quieter members of the group what their views are, summarising and keeping an eye on the time will score you points.

The maths test is very basic arithmetic of about 20 questions in 5 mins.

The group interview involves the regional ops director or whoever is hosting the session asking questions to the group about Aldi and the general retail environment. Obviously you need to brush up on this and prepare a couple of questions to throw back at the end. HINT! They love talking about their phenomenal growth and new store openings. Also think about why this has happened and what they'll need to do to retain their new found customers.

HINT! If you have not already done so go and visit at least two Aldi stores and take note of product availability, staffing levels, queue lengths, amount of checkouts open, politeness, friendliness of the staff, number of pallets on the shop floor, ease of shop, car parking spaces etc.

The second stage of the process is the one-to-one with a Regional Director. This is more a conversation about you, your work history, your retail knowledge and your aspirations. This is not a competency based interview but be able to discuss you resume in detail. I was offered a store trial at this stage and told I'd be contacted within a week. However I didn't hear anything and had to do all the chasing. At this point all the professionalism they had demonstrated prior to this fell away.

The store trial is supposed to involve spending time with a store manager where you are given the chance to really see what it's like working there, a chance for you to see if you would like to work there and an interview with an area manager. On my trial the Store Manager had something else planned and didn't even acknowledge my presence let alone explain or apologise for this. Instead I was given a tour of the store by a Store Assistant, asked to help work some stock and help tidy up. After an hour of this the Area Manager came in and again we had a similar interview/conversation about my work experience and retail in general. I was told that I'd hear from them in the next couple of days. After a week I spoke with the Recruitment Consultant who told me they did not wish to further my application. I didn't receive a thanks but no thanks letter from Aldi.

Interview Questions
    • Be careful when answering questions on future aspirations. If you are at that stage in your career where you could step across to an Aldi Store Manager although the pay is very good there are no positions above this unless you have a 2:1 degree or above.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atherstone, England
    Anonymous Employee in Atherstone, England

I applied through other source – interviewed at ALDI in February 2014.

Went to group interview. 1 person to assess 16 people. 1 x group exercise then timed maths questions. Not really given opportunity to show skills etc. Seemed rushed as another group waiting

Interview Questions
    • No correct answer to group exercise - just to assess your interacting / leadership skills. I thought I had done quite well as listened to others but also influenced some peoples decisions and get them to agree to change their answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Darlington, North East England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Darlington, North East England, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in December 2013.

The initial application was online, it was fairly straightforward but did not include any online testing, unlike many similar positions with other companies (Waitrose, Sainsbury's, etc.).
    About ten days after applying I received a letter from the regional department requesting I complete a standard Aldi application form, I thought this was a little odd. After returning this I received a letter in the post about a week later requesting me to call up and arrange a group interview. The earliest date I could get was about 5 weeks later. There were 12 candidates at the group interview and the morning ran as follows:

1) Numerical and verbal reasoning aptitude tests
    2) Introduce yourself to the interviewing director; name, uni degree, why aldi, interesting fact etc.
    3) 5 minutes to prepare a 2 minute presentation on your greatest achievement in front of the other candidates
    4) Interactive q & a

Overall I found it quite challenging as there were some very self assured candidates who tried to hog the limelight and as there are so many of you there it is important to make sure you are heard when you have a strong point without appearing forceful.

Awaiting second interview

Anonymous Employee in Darlington, North East England, England
    Anonymous Employee in Darlington, North East England, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ALDI in November 2013.

Had a group interview for Aldi a few weeks ago. They want the kind of people who are willing to stab others in the back to get to the top.

Started by having to give a 2 minute presentation on anything (do not bring notes with you, one man had his confiscated and was told he was unprofessional).

Secondly had to do assessments - numerical reasoning and a personality test. We were told if we didnt have the right personality we would be immediately declined a position.

Most people were out to get each other which was very uncomfortable.

Finally we did a survival challenge. My group didnt actually seem to decide on anything as they all wanted to be the leader. I literally could not get a word in (and I talk a lot!).

Interview Questions
    • you have 30 seconds to prepare a 2 minute presentation on anything   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, England

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI in October 2013.

online form, then assessment day.

Interview Questions
    • the day ran as follows:
      1. tests (maths, sequence, verbal); very time pressured, a lot of people seemed to run out of time so work fast!
      2. 2 minute introduction of yourself (interesting fact, why aldi etc)
      3. 2/3 minute presentation on your greatest achievement.
      4. question and answer session (questions directed both ways)

Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Middleton, Greater Manchester, North West England, England

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI in October 2013.

Online application then invited by letter to assessment center. Assessment centre started with short introduction with 3 facts about yourself, then quick Q&A they want you to have a lot of knowledge of aldi's products and business model. Then all given 5 mins for a 3 min presentation on anything (couldnt be one of your previously given facts). People did presentations on placement years, jobs and volunteering. One person in our group came with laminated certificates and sat smiling in the prep time, the point of the exercise is to see how you cope under pressure don't look over prepared. Then we had a raft survival task sorting individually priorities items then discuss and come to group conclusion. We then had the fun part of the numeracy, verbal reasoning and personality tests.

Interview Questions
    • I found the tests the hardest part there is only 20 mins to fill out all the tests time was an issue.   Answer Question