ALDI

Very Easy Interview

Store Assistant Interview

Store Assistant
Stoke-on-Trent, England

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at ALDI in September 2012.

Interview Details Sent my CV to a employment agency and met the lady from there, who gave me a brief description of the company and the job, and told me what day to attend the store for a group interview.
On the day of my interview (which took around 30 minutes), there was 6 of us in a room along with the area manager, who asked us to go around the table and tell everyone a little about ourselves, after that just asked a few group questions about why we wanted to work there, if we knew anything about the company, and what we noticed the store does differently than the likes of other supermarkets.
Was called back a few days later to be offered a work trial, which consisted of me attending the store for 1 hour to do some tasks to see how i coped with the work (this would be extremely hard to fail at during the work trial). was informed another few days later that i was successful and was asked if i could start as soon as possible.

Overall the interview process and job trial were very easy, even without doing my homework on the company i still passed the interview and got the job

Interview Question – What do you know about the company   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Area Manager
Darlington, North East England, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details Group interview in Darlington.

The group of around 15 from the 300 applied were put through presentations, verbal reasoning tests, arithmetic tests and a survival exercise.

Prepare a two minute presentation on anything in less than two minutes.

A detailed Q&A with the regional MD was possible afterwards.

Interview Question – Prepare a two minute presentation on anything in less than two minutes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations possible.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Chelmsford, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at ALDI in December 2011.

Interview Details Met with the chairman, discussed competencies, what I knew about the company and its performance, what I perceived the job to entail, examples of my tenacity.

Interview Question – Give me an example of your extreme levels of tenacity.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I didn't like the progression within the company and, in general, where retail is heading.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Middleton, Lancashire, North West England, England

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ALDI in April 2012.

Interview Details Initally saw the advertisement in the ALDI store and went on to apply online. The interview consisted of a group interview (25 people). The interviewer divided 25 people to 5 different group. There was a group task. Then there was sell me type presentation, where the interviewer assigned the group a product to sell to him. Then there was a quick 10 minutes mathematical aptitude test, the level of it was of below GCSE level. After that the final round was question and answer session, where anyone can answer questions asked by the interview. The questions were specifically aimed at ALDI business model, store management etc. Finally an opportunity was given to ask questions to interviewer.

The job was not interesting because of very low salary (starting £23,000) and reaching maximum of £30,000 after 3 years. The interviewer clearly mentioned that there would be no promotion in this job. In his word, this is the glass ceilings. Physical and mental strength also needed to carry out this job. The promotion within the company are only given to college graduates who joined the company as Area Manager.

Interview Questions

• Group Task Cave Man expercise, Where a group of people stuck together in a cave and only person is allowed to get out. Who should be given chance to get out and why?   View Answer
  • What do you know about ALDI?   Answer Question
  • Which products you like from ALDI and why?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Northampton, England

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in January 2012.

Interview Details After months of seeking employment, I was gifted an interview at ALDI supermarket.
When I arrived, I was told that the interview would be quick, as there were alot of people to see. This hardly filled me with confidence. Throughout the interview, my interviewer (who we shall refer to as X), seemed quite put out by my appearance. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was not wanted. I had to listen to X's dreary, soul destroying drabble about how they'd 'worked up to the top' for which I did not care, boy I hate it when retail company managers act like I should worship the ground they walk on. The whole interview lasted fifteen minutes, with basic maths questions and an initial 'tell me about yourself' cliche. I was NOT impressed with the whole process, and couldn't wait to get out.
The interview ended, much to my dismay, with X asking me what I knew about the company & if i wanted to ask any questions; to be honest, all I wanted to do was leave, but I came out with some 'tell me about your journey' nonsense, X loved that.
I left, feeling pessimistic about the whole process, wanted to curl up into a ball and never leave the house again.

Interview Questions

• Any questions?   View Answer
  • Mental maths. I buy a product for £7.31, I give you £20.00, what change do I receive?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I felt demeaned, adherent, auxiliary, deputy, like a disciple, a follower, a hanger-on, hireling, junior, menial, minion, minor, peon, satellite, second banana, subaltern, subject, subordinate, sycophant, underling. SO, i rejected the offer and am still seeking employment.

Area Manager Interview

Area Manager
Manchester, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in June 2009.

Interview Details The Aldi Area Manager graduate scheme is heavily oversubscribed mainly due to the above average salary on offer plus promise of swift progression. The main area of questioning focuses on leadership experience either professionally or socially as many candidates are recent graduates without a great deal of work experience. Captain of sports teams, academic groups, Scouts etc are popular choices if you don't have a great deal of work experience.
My advice is be yourself as if you try to be something you're not and get the job you will not enjoy it and no matter how much the salary is, it's not enough, you have to enjoy the challenges you will face in order to do well.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, starting from when you were a child through education and work to bring me up to the present day.   View Answer
  • What is the most difficult situation you have had to deal with either professionally or personally   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation as every area manager comes in on the same salary and existing area managers are all on the same salary which depends upon length of service.

Cashier Interview

Lake Grove, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details The manager posted that he would be there to look at applications for a couple of hours and would be interviewing on the spot. I went, filled out an application, waited for the manager to come out of his office, he stared me down, asked me a couple of ridiculous questions like 'Can you lift over 60 pounds over your head?' and 'Are you comfortable with cleaning the bathrooms and the floors?' I had no idea that was the job of a cashier but hey it's a small store so maybe one cashier is really instructed to do everything. I said yes and he wrote something on my application and said we'll call you. I got a bad vibe from this guy the second he stared me down, and he only reaffirmed his vibe by being a jerk.

Interview Question – Being asked: Can you lift over 60 pounds over your head? (when I am clearly a 5 foot 3 petite 19 year old girl, what do you think the answer would be?)   Answer Question

District Manager Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details There are two different interviews in this process. First an on-campus dinner and interview and second, an office visit. The on-campus interview is pretty normal in that the ask basic behavioral based questions to find out if you are a fit for the company. On the second interview, you visit a regional office, a warehouse, a store, go to lunch, and have two interviews with different upper management.

Interview Question – You are a Marketing major, how could you do this management position?   Answer Question

Aldi District Manager Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details I was invited to a second interview and they flew me down to Orlando. It was a relatively relaxed setting. The interview question were not your typical behavioral questions, but more conversational question; as they tried to get to know you more. The fact that it was very conversational and comfortable made me feel uncomfortable which led to my nervousness. Although I left the interview not too confident and I was expecting at least to make it to the third round, nevertheless, the very next day they emailed me a regret letter.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions that I was posed with mainly dealt with telling them about myself in depth. I interviewed with five different people on my second interview and they all were very key on just wanting me to talk about myself. Be careful of rambling, because I know I caught myself doing that a lot.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in February 2014.

Interview Details Aldi came to the campus job fair and accepted resumes online. For those selected for interviews, the first step was a pre-interview dinner, which was an hour long meet and greet/information session to learn about the position and ask questions. The next day was a 20 minute interview. Those selected attend a final interview day at a distribution center to meet with the VP, DMs, etc. Full day, tours and 3 interviews.

Interview Question – Very basic interview questions, they are basically looking for a personality type: LEADERS   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You can look up the salary online, it's the same across the board.

Interviews for Top Jobs at ALDI