ALDI Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated 31 Mar 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at ALDI (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England).

Interview

You apply through ALDI website,
If you are selected, you will be asked to come to one of their regional offices

Brief introduction: your full name, what are you currently doing,? Where are you living etc

Interview Questions

• You will be u gasked to do s brief introduction
    A role play - you have crash landed in northern hemisphere near green land,. Pilot is dead you and other 3 people survived, no SOS messzfes could be sent due to the break down of communication
    . You will be as ked to list the items of importance about 15 of them in the order of . You have to do it as a group exercise with in givi.

en period of time
    Make sure you talk and come to agreement Ir if you disagree give reasons why you
    Then a new role play, you will be paired and give a description id a store manager and a another team member. The employee is keen to become a Deputy but has issues such as coming to work late and taking too much time to unload a pall
    You will be acting either the employee or the store manager . How go you act as the store manager or employee
    Then the small maths about 20 question with in 5 minutes
    And taking about two minutes they you are passionate about
    Thats it

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ALDI

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ALDI.

Interview

The process starts with an online application which asks You in detail about Your education, work experience and generally about Yourself. It does say that if You haven't been contacted within 2 weeks, You have been unsuccessful however they came back to me after 6 weeks so be patient. I was invited for a group interview. At the interview there were 20+ people, everyone from different backgrounds and experiences. After brief introductions there was a maths test questions consisted of the like of 8 x 1/4 or 1897.43+1237.34. No calculators allowed ofc.
    Than we had to do a couple short presentations followed by a survival group exercise. Than there was a q&a session with the recruiters and that's it.

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at ALDI (Birmingham, England) in February 2014.

Interview

Contacted by a Recruitment Consultant. The recruitment process is over 3 stages, a group recruit, a one-to-one with a Regional Operations Director and finally a store trial.

The group recruit I went to had about 15 candidates and consisted of an ice breaker, a group exercise, a basic maths test and a group interview.

The ice breaker intro basically involves you introducing yourself in about 3 sentences including name, current employer and work history plus one interesting fact about yourself.

For the group exercise you are split into small groups of 4 or 5 depending on the size of the group. You are given a hypothetical scenario which individually you are given 10-15 minutes to read through, write down what action you would take and then, in your group discus your findings and agree a collective course of action. The scenario we had was the one where 6 people from diverse backgrounds and different life experiences have to be rescued from a cave. Due to conditions the best case scenario means only 5 can be rescued. There is no correct answer. This all about your ability to put across your point of view, understand other people's point of view and generally agree to disagree if necessary to gain group consensus. HINT! This is not a competition so talking for the sake of talking will get you nowhere. Asking quieter members of the group what their views are, summarising and keeping an eye on the time will score you points.

The maths test is very basic arithmetic of about 20 questions in 5 mins.

The group interview involves the regional ops director or whoever is hosting the session asking questions to the group about Aldi and the general retail environment. Obviously you need to brush up on this and prepare a couple of questions to throw back at the end. HINT! They love talking about their phenomenal growth and new store openings. Also think about why this has happened and what they'll need to do to retain their new found customers.

HINT! If you have not already done so go and visit at least two Aldi stores and take note of product availability, staffing levels, queue lengths, amount of checkouts open, politeness, friendliness of the staff, number of pallets on the shop floor, ease of shop, car parking spaces etc.

The second stage of the process is the one-to-one with a Regional Director. This is more a conversation about you, your work history, your retail knowledge and your aspirations. This is not a competency based interview but be able to discuss you resume in detail. I was offered a store trial at this stage and told I'd be contacted within a week. However I didn't hear anything and had to do all the chasing. At this point all the professionalism they had demonstrated prior to this fell away.

The store trial is supposed to involve spending time with a store manager where you are given the chance to really see what it's like working there, a chance for you to see if you would like to work there and an interview with an area manager. On my trial the Store Manager had something else planned and didn't even acknowledge my presence let alone explain or apologise for this. Instead I was given a tour of the store by a Store Assistant, asked to help work some stock and help tidy up. After an hour of this the Area Manager came in and again we had a similar interview/conversation about my work experience and retail in general. I was told that I'd hear from them in the next couple of days. After a week I spoke with the Recruitment Consultant who told me they did not wish to further my application. I didn't receive a thanks but no thanks letter from Aldi.

Interview Questions

• Be careful when answering questions on future aspirations. If you are at that stage in your career where you could step across to an Aldi Store Manager although the pay is very good there are no positions above this unless you have a 2:1 degree or above.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atherstone, England

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at ALDI (Atherstone, England) in February 2014.

Interview

Went to group interview. 1 person to assess 16 people. 1 x group exercise then timed maths questions. Not really given opportunity to show skills etc. Seemed rushed as another group waiting

Interview Questions

• No correct answer to group exercise - just to assess your interacting / leadership skills. I thought I had done quite well as listened to others but also influenced some peoples decisions and get them to agree to change their answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Middleton, Lancashire, North West England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ALDI (Middleton, Lancashire, North West England, England) in April 2012.

Interview

Initally saw the advertisement in the ALDI store and went on to apply online. The interview consisted of a group interview (25 people). The interviewer divided 25 people to 5 different group. There was a group task. Then there was sell me type presentation, where the interviewer assigned the group a product to sell to him. Then there was a quick 10 minutes mathematical aptitude test, the level of it was of below GCSE level. After that the final round was question and answer session, where anyone can answer questions asked by the interview. The questions were specifically aimed at ALDI business model, store management etc. Finally an opportunity was given to ask questions to interviewer.

The job was not interesting because of very low salary (starting £23,000) and reaching maximum of £30,000 after 3 years. The interviewer clearly mentioned that there would be no promotion in this job. In his word, this is the glass ceilings. Physical and mental strength also needed to carry out this job. The promotion within the company are only given to college graduates who joined the company as Area Manager.

Interview Questions

• Group Task Cave Man expercise, Where a group of people stuck together in a cave and only person is allowed to get out. Who should be given chance to get out and why?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about ALDI?   Answer Question
    • Which products you like from ALDI and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ALDI (Chelmsford, England) in December 2011.

Interview

Met with the chairman, discussed competencies, what I knew about the company and its performance, what I perceived the job to entail, examples of my tenacity.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of your extreme levels of tenacity.   1 Answer

I didn't like the progression within the company and, in general, where retail is heading.

Store Manager Interview

Interview

Very difficult interview. The first part was a test which was very hard as you are given limited time . I think that i only answered half of the questions so i thought i had no chance straight away.

Negotiation

None

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ALDI (Rochester, NY (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

Went to an Aldi job fair. District manager called back and requested an in-person interview. Went to interview at an Aldi store in their breakrroom. I had to contact interviewed to determine that I was not selected. He would never have contacted me to let me know of results of their selection process. Interview went really well but since I'm over 50 I'm pretty sure my age was a factor. I know other insiders who have told me Aldi does not like to hire anyone buy younger people.

Interview Questions

• What would I do if I caught someone stealing from the store?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ALDI (Hartford, CT (US)) in October 2013.

Interview

After visiting the hiring event, I submitted my resume and application to the recruiter. He had asked me several questions regarding the position.
    - If I had read the job description that was posted in the entrance.
    - If I had open availability between 7am - 11pm
    - If I had any objection to a drug test and background test

As I made a brief introduction and answered his questions, he had informed me that if they were interested, I would get a call back to schedule another interview. I came in thinking I would be speaking to and having a much longer interaction with the hiring recruiter/manager. It was very impromptu and very short, almost like a 'hi/bye' deal. At the end of the week I got a call back to schedule a follow-up interview. During this interview I was asked to:
    - Give me a brief introduction
    - Why I was interested in the job / why did I want to work for them
    - That I should divulge any information regarding a criminal background, if I had taken any drugs in the last year, and if that would show up in a drug test.
    - If I had any driving violations in the last year

I was also asked 2 personality/situational questions:
    - What would I do if as a manager, an associate had stolen a candy bar. And, based on that scenario, what would I then do if an associate stole $20
    - What is the LEAST favorite thing I have encountered in my experience of customer service.

At the end of the interview, I would receive a call-back for an interview with the Director of Operations. And, that that would be contingent on if that current interview received a "seal of approval" from the recruiter. After telling me the "correct" answers to the situational questons, I was if I had questions of my own

Interview Questions

• What type of punishment would be administered to an associate who took a candy bar, then - what would be the type of punishment to an associate who took $20?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Interview

3 step interview for ALDI'S. Hired as a assistant manager and promoted after one year.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had a difficult customer? How did you respond?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Training starting salary for all new hires