AMD Interview Questions

Updated 13 Apr 2015

Design Verification Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boxborough, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at AMD (Boxborough, MA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through University. Got call from Hiring Manager , 45 min of call , asked regarding the background , skills and knowledge about the programming skills. Next round was technical, questions pretty much based on verilog and c++. After 2 days , got a call for on-site interview. 5 people took the interview about 30-45 min each. Questions based Design concepts and Verification Methodology, C/C++, Verilog and Scripting.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX (US)).

Interview

I applied online for Physical Design position in Austin. Phone screening was pretty easy. Couple of questions on all the basic steps in the RTL-GDS flow: synthesis, timing, PnR etc. Got onsite call in 3-4 days. Had 6 tech interviews and 1 casual interview on-site. Each one focused on different aspects: PnR and Floor-planning, architecture, timing, digital circuits, SRAM and Power. Some of them were pretty rigorous, others could be cracked if you had done your homework.

Interview Questions

• How do you do power distribution on a chip?   Answer Question
    • How does setup and hold timing look like for a dual-phase clocking?   Answer Question
    • What are the pipeline stages in a state-of-art microprocessor?   Answer Question
    • How many gates in the critical path of a Carry-look-ahead adder?   Answer Question

Engineering Technician III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at AMD (Austin, TX (US)).

Interview

4 interviews with 3 team leads and the hiring manager. Multiple hardware failures and symptoms given for triage with real world failing components. Sub-systems were differentiated by team lead interviewing. System debug is expected to be performed during interview process. Talking through each step as triage is applied.

Interview Questions

• The system (P.C.) under test configuration was laid out powered up upon a lab bench with Memtest 86+ running actively, the question asked " This system has a failure, you must find the failure you have 15 minutes".

Note:the memory failure that is happening each time in different bank and /rank when the failures happen. Memtest 86+ is running with faults actively on test 1, faulting.

1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at AMD.

Interview

Submitted resume through professor's recommendation. Got phone interview in two weeks. Asked a lot of technical questions, including object-oriented concepts, digital circuit basic questions and something relevant to parallel computer. Also described some projects that I had worked on. The interview took about one hour. The interviewer had accent that was quite hard to understand...

Interview Questions

• Design a FSM of Moore Machine to detect 0110 sequence.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AMD (Markham, ON (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied to career site on amd.com. Was contacted through email for two interviews. First interview was about previous experience/soft skills, Second interview was more technical. Was then contacted a week later with offer.

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AMD.

Interview

Multiple interviews: HR, Hiring manager and with other stake holders. Do not leave you hanging. Good communication from the recruiter. As the company is global with distributed functions, most of the interviews were phone interviews.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at AMD in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through a former co-worker. Got a call from hiring manager. It was a quick 30 min phone interview. After this, got invited to on-site interview. On-site interview was not tough, except for few difficult ( for me ) technical questions. I could answer 80=90 %. But sometimes I found it hard to understand why some interviewing persons tone was as if you have done something wrong, just because you went there to get interviewed, and they are the boss of you now. I found it hard to understand why a candidate must be treated as if he/she is inferior person than person at AMD. I felt sometimes that tone of person interviewing was hostile without any provocation. At least to me it seemed odd. But once I got over it, it was ok. Also some people and AMD were very good in treating you with common courtesy/good manners.

Hardware Engineer Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AMD (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I went in for an interview with 3 interviewers and it was mostly a standard interview where I answer some questions. I also had to share my previous experiences that are relevant to hardware development. Overall the interviewers were friendly and gave a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Write a code for:
      Given an integer, print all prime numbers up to that integer.

Answer Question

Sales Ops Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at AMD.

Interview

nothing unusual, very standard questions and interview process. one phone interview with HR recruiter and one on-site integer with a group of 5 people (sales and peers). the recruiter called for an offer and followed up by email. a very smooth process once accepted an offer.

Interview Questions

• no unexpected question. if you know the job, you can answer them easily.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It was very casual yet structured. I like my interview here better than else where where people treat interviewee like prisoners. It depends on the interviewer, but a lot of interviewers in other tech companies just can't communicate with people