ASDA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Assistant Interview

Customer Assistant
Belfast, Northern Ireland

I applied online - interviewed at ASDA in June 2010.

Interview Details First interview is a group interview involvng some problem solving exercises. Ability to communicate and work in a team is evaluated. Second interview is one on one and based on customer service.

Interview Question – What is good customer service?   Answer Question

Lancaster, England

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at ASDA in March 2012.

Interview Details Built towers from marsh mellows and spaghetti

Interview Question – all easy   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – got offered at sainsburys- better company to work for

Checkout Operator Interview

Checkout Operator
Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ASDA.

Interview Details online application, phone interview, group selection.

group selection - if you had to put an object into a time capsule what would it be?

Role play - advert to sell asdas own brand sweets

Have a go - go onto shop floor and deal with customer enquiries

watch videos about company, answer questions.

face to face interview - why asda? why you? what can you bring? team player?

Interview Question – face to face was quite full on.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

London, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ASDA.

Interview Details There were 4 interview processes. The managers were very friendly and made everyone felt at ease. There was a 1:1 interview at first, then 2 other group interviews and then assessments were taken from all of us. Questions such as why are you applying for this job?, what will you do to help improve this store?, etc. Some intelligence questions were asked and we were told to sell products too. It was a good process in general.

Interview Question – Was asked to compare between detergents and choose the best to sell to the customer. It was unexpected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate as there is a fixed rate.

Home Shopping Driver Interview

Stockton-on-Tees, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ASDA in October 2009.

Interview Details Asda has an online recruitment website which it now uses, and does not issue application forms anymore. If you pass the initial papersift, you are invited to an 'Asda Magic' day where you take part in a group screening.
In the group screening, you have several tasks to complete such as pairing with another candidate and you have to explain your background to them in 30 seconds. After that, there is a group exercise, such as building a tower out of balloons. This tests your ability to work as part of a team, and your ability to be a leader as well. You will then go onto the shop floor to 'Have a go' where you are expected to interact with the customer. This lasts about 20 minutes, and is comparable to slave labour.
If you are successful at this point, you are invited to an interview. The interview will normally take place in a small secluded room, and the interview can be quite intimidating. The manager conducting the interview will take your uniform sizing at this point, and may or may not tell you if you have been successful or not.

Interview Question – The interview can be quite intimidating, and the manager conducting the interview will ask questions where you will have to answer with life experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't really any negotiating. Asda is a company that tells you how it is and expects you to like it, or leave. Managers within the company are not afraid to tell you where the door is.

Provisions Assistant Interview

Provisions Assistant
Llandudno, Wales

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ASDA in June 2008.

Interview Details was pretty straight forward. first had to fill out a questionnaire and hand it in. the usual type where the questions are rather obscure to try and get a good judge of your character.
passing this you move onto a group recruitment process involving 10-20 people. there are team building and problem solving exercises. nothing too hard so long as you dont get too flustered.
passing this you are invited to an interview. reaching this point you pretty much have the job. just more of a formality than anything and they find out what you want from the job, what sort of hours etc.

Interview Question – nothing shocking really. just keep your wits about you and you will fly through no problem. only thing i would say is don't be over confident. they hate that just as much as some one who is shy and reserved, they seem to be looking for a good middle ground.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – only hours were negotiable and even that not very much. i started at 16 so they, like most places, feel they can assign you what ever they please and expect you to agree. was more than likely just the manager at the time, and not the overriding company policy

Night-Shift Stocker Interview

Night-Shift Stocker
Corby, Northamptonshire, East Midlands, England

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at ASDA in June 2010.

Interview Details I filled in an application form and dropped it back in January, I got a call in JUNE! As it was initially for a 2nd job I agreed to attend the selection evening. This was a room full of around 20 people where we had to do standard "team building" exercises. At the end of the selection evening the manager conducting the meet asked if anyone wanted to work that night! As in directly after the group selection. Some of the people said yes and were offered contracts there and then. Others like myself were called back as "reserves" The group selection was at 8pm on a Friday night finishing around 9.30pm. The shift the manager wanted people to work was from 10pm that night to 6am the following morning. There was meant to be a 2nd personal one to one interview and a 2 hour trial shift they call Best Welcome. I did not have either of those prior to being offered my regular shifts.

Interview Question – Most difficult part of the hiring process was why did I want to work for Asda? Also during the group selection it was difficult to work together with people that were not really interested in the job without making myself look bad.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Rates of pay, holidays and benefits are all the same they have no minimum wage banding anyone under 18 gets paid the same as everyone else, Company has an annual salary review in October every year, usually around12-15p an hour for standard colleagues. The only thing negotiable was your department of choice, IF they had vacancies you got the job if they didn't, you didn't but they didn't tell you which areas had vacancies.

Department Manager Interview

Department Manager
London, England

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ASDA in August 2011.

Interview Details You turn up for a 'reality day'. There are 6 people assessing you throughout a 4 hour process. This consists of a presentation, 1:1 interview, competence test in a live situation amongst other things. If you are succesful, they will contact you within a week. You then have a 2:1 interview with a Store Manager and a People Services Manager. If you are successful, they will contact you within a week with the outcome/offer.

Interview Question – Describe your best friend..   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate 2k on top of my salary, also a fast track promotion depending on my performance. Ensure you ask them for time to think, ring back about an hour later with what you would like and see what they say.

Very Easy Interview

Bodmin, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at ASDA in May 2011.

Interview Details Asda Magic consisted of about 12 of us in a group interview with four observers. We had numbers on Post-It notes attached to our backs and had to get ourselves in to numerical order without asking anyone what our number was. We then had to work in three groups, discussing how we could make Asda more envinmentally friendly. We had a tour of the store and watched an Asda DVD. The whole thing took about 2 hours. If you were sucessful, you were phoned to come back for the 'Have a Go' which is basically a try out on the shop floor filling shelves etc, for about 3/4 hour and then you get a face-to-face interview with your soon to be Section Manager. I think unless you are a complete dodo you have got the job.

Interview Question – What would you change in the store?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – THey will always work around you to find the hours that suit you best.

Glasgow, Scotland

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ASDA in March 2009.

Interview Details They phoned me up and said my application was accepted can I please come in for a group selectyion. You are then put in a room with about 10 other people and asked to build a tower from building blocks its all about team work. You have to then chant the Asda anthem after that I got taken back for another interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiaition of wage.

Interviews for Top Jobs at ASDA