ASDA Interview Questions

Updated 14 Oct 2014
Updated 14 Oct 2014

2.4

Store Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ASDA.

You apply online, you will be approached by a member of HR, an interview in arranged with a group of around 15 of you. Some will be adults teenagers and students its a real cross section of society. you do some group work where you are being watched, then watch some safety videos and general intro stuff (very basic), you are then have a 1:1 interview with a middle manager and a store walk round. The atmosphere is relaxed

Customer Service Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ASDA.

magic session-everyone in a room interacting together doing different tasks,we had to make a building out of spaggetti & marsh mellows then explain what we had made,what we was named ,what we were selling ect..

Checkout Operator Interview

asda magic session, volunteer work within the store (usually stock work eg filling shelves/ clearing up) & finally a one to one interview (generally with one of the store managers but could also be with a long term employee)

Interview Questions
    • 1) why do you want to work for asda? 2) what can you do for them? 3) why should they hire you? 4) what would you purtchase from the store and why?   View Answer

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ASDA in March 2014.

I applied online through the Asda website, completed the online application form - which was multiple choice questions. Within a week, I was invited via email to an 'Asda Magic' recruitment event.

There were 15 candidates at the event. At 25 I was the 2nd oldest there as most of them were students or school leavers. We were all taken to a room with chairs and tables in and on each table there was paperwork with a name badge on top of it, we had to find our name and so were randomly placed - which was a shame as I was getting on well with one of the girls but we were separated. There were 3 tables - 5 candidates per table.

We were told to find out about the person next to us and 3 interesting facts about them and they were told to find out 3 interesting things about us - so it would be good to think of some things beforehand. We then had to tell the rest of the group what we'd found out.

Next we had to work with the rest of our table. The managers brought a bag with 3 items in (1 per table), we had to randomly select an item and were expected to sell it to the managers. We were given 15 minutes to get a presentation/sales pitch together. The items ranged from car air fresheners to shaving gel. Everyone is expected to speak in the presentation and participate in the planning of it. Our presentation was pretty naff but it doesn't matter how rubbish it is as its all about how well you work together - thats what you are assessed on, so don't sit quietly in the corner... listen to others in your group and talk to them.

After the presentations we filled out some paperwork and 'had a go' on the shop floor. We just had to pull stock forward on the shelves and put misplaced stock in right place. We also had to help a customer somehow, so keep an eye out for customers struggling to decide on something or trying to reach something etc and approach them asking if you can help.

Finally, we had a one-on-one interview - which was absolutely fine. I was really nervous for this but the questions were simple and easy to answer - for example - What would need to happen for you take the day off work? I just looked at the interviewer blankly thinking 'is he expecting me to say something like a natural disaster or a major illness?' He must have caught on to my puzzled look as he said "For example, would you take the day off if you had cold?" I said I wouldn't stay off for cold, but I would stay off if I had a sickness bug in case I infected my colleagues or was sick in the store.

The interview lasted about 5-10 mins. I also noticed while he was writing my responses that he was scoring my answers. The numbers were 1-4 and he kept scoring me a 3. On the last page I saw that 3 meant 'Would recommend for this role'.

And that was it!! They respond within 48 hours whether you're successful or not and I was offered the job!

Interview Questions
    • There were 2 questions I struggled to answer on the spot. First was: "Tell me about the best piece of customer service you have ever given?" and the second:, "What do you dislike about working in a team?"   View Answer

Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowestoft, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowestoft, England

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at ASDA.

Hired at startup of new store - started as Photography Section leader but moved to driver as a choice after 4 years in store.

Interview Questions
    Easy, they need good staff

Shft Manager Interview

off the wall, competence no barrier to employment

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your most difficult emotional experience   View Answer
    easy straight to top dollar, pay scales are low though, they cannot negotiate, if want you
    put a gun to their heads

ASDA Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ASDA.

The interview process is an "Asda Magic" event, where about 10 to 15 potential colleagues are invited to a recruitment event. The interviewees are observed by about 4 existing colleagues and managers on their suitability for the company. The beginning part mostly consists of breaking into pairs and finding out about eachother, then presenting information. Following this the interviewees are split into groups and asked to do a task such as a poster for a product or an advert for example. The shortlisted colleagues are later contacted and asked back for a mini interview.

Interview Questions
    • As it is all about personality it is hard to prepare. There are no real questions to answer. personality is the most important thing.   Answer Question
    There was barely any negotiation. They offer you certain hours but there isn't much room to change these.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ASDA in August 2013.

1. assesment centre , 2. Presentation - Journey.

quite straight forward

Home Delivery Driver Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ASDA in August 2013.

asda magic day insight into the company

good

Pharmacy Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ramsgate, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ramsgate, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ASDA in July 2013.

I originally applied to be a home and leisure colleague but when I got to the interview they said that the only vacancy available was for the pharmacy. The online application is easy. Fill in a few personal details and do a couple of tests. Simple questions like "what would you do if...?".

A month after I applied I got an email inviting me to an ASDA Magic assessment day. Basically, it's a group interview. Four of us attended. At the interview/assessment event was the store manager and the deputy store manager. As there were only four of us, we all sat around a table in the staff canteen. We were given name badges.

First of all we were given an icebreaker task. We had to interview the person next to us and feed the information back to the group. The other applicants didn't understand it though and when I enquired on behalf of them so that the instructions would be repeated, it looked like I was a nonce.

After that, we watched a couple of videos on an iPad. One was about how to move and lift things and the other was just about ASDA in general.

Then, two of us were taken to the pharmacy and were shown around while the other two had a one to one interview. One of us with the manager, the other with the deputy manager. Stuff like "what are your hobbies?", "can you definitely work the specified hours?", etc. It wasn't much of an interview at all. It was mainly confirming things. One question that I didn't know how to answer though was "describe a time you received great customer service." I can't remember any time I've received great customer service. I said "I don't know. I usually just use self service checkouts, get my stuff and get out." I recommend you don't say that.