ASDA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Customer Service Assistant
Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ASDA in October 2012.

Interview Details The interview process consists of two stages. The first stage is a group interview which happens in the evening. The store cafe is closed at that time so you are asked to wait there until everyone arrives. I am not sure but there is a high chance that you are being observed from that point. The group interview is very informal, you will work in pairs or groups of three. The main tasks were to introduce you partner and to try to sell a mystery item. At the end of the interview, you fill out an availability questionnaire and state a first and second preference for department.

If successful at the group stage, you will receive a call inviting you to an individual interview with the department manager of either your first or second choice department. The interview questions are very standard then the manager will take you to the shop floor to give you a feel of what the job would be like including trying to find three items on the shop floor. At the end of the interview, they may offer you a job on the spot or you may receive a call a couple of days later to offer the job.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question I received was at the group interview stage asking if you were a chocolate bar, which would you be.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered the job after my individual interview. At this stage, I was offered shifts and asked to confirm how many hours I wished to work as my contract. I was able to decline shifts if I did not feel that they suited me.

Very Easy Interview

Delivery Driver Interview

Delivery Driver
Lowestoft, England

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at ASDA.

Interview Details Hired at startup of new store - started as Photography Section leader but moved to driver as a choice after 4 years in store.

Interview Question – What benefit I could bring to ASDA   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy, they need good staff

Shft Manager Interview

Shft Manager

Interviewed at ASDA

Interview Details off the wall, competence no barrier to employment

Interview Question – Tell me about your most difficult emotional experience   View Answer

Negotiation Details – easy straight to top dollar, pay scales are low though, they cannot negotiate, if want you
put a gun to their heads

Shop Floor Assistant Interview

Shop Floor Assistant
Manchester, England

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at ASDA in February 2010.

Interview Details 3 stage process for hiring

Very Easy Interview

Asda Process Colleague Interview

Asda Process Colleague
Stevenage, England

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ASDA in October 2012.

Interview Details Initially an online application, then if you're accepted through to the next stage, you go to an "ASDA Magic" event whereby you are in a large group of potential candidates and are required to perform certain "Team Building Exercises" which vary from store to store. If you pass this, then you'll be invited for an interview with the manager of the department they're putting you forward for, this will be an informal interview to get to know you and why you believe that you are the best for the job. After this, you'll usually get a phone call in about 2-3 working days to tell you if you've got the job. If you have, then you're invited to a "Best Welcome" which is where you're shown your new department, the rest of the store and also receive your first (small) bit of training.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions. The interview was informal and there were no questionnaires to be filled out.   Answer Question

Pharmacy Colleague Interview

Pharmacy Colleague
Ramsgate, England

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ASDA in July 2013.

Interview Details I originally applied to be a home and leisure colleague but when I got to the interview they said that the only vacancy available was for the pharmacy. The online application is easy. Fill in a few personal details and do a couple of tests. Simple questions like "what would you do if...?".

A month after I applied I got an email inviting me to an ASDA Magic assessment day. Basically, it's a group interview. Four of us attended. At the interview/assessment event was the store manager and the deputy store manager. As there were only four of us, we all sat around a table in the staff canteen. We were given name badges.

First of all we were given an icebreaker task. We had to interview the person next to us and feed the information back to the group. The other applicants didn't understand it though and when I enquired on behalf of them so that the instructions would be repeated, it looked like I was a nonce.

After that, we watched a couple of videos on an iPad. One was about how to move and lift things and the other was just about ASDA in general.

Then, two of us were taken to the pharmacy and were shown around while the other two had a one to one interview. One of us with the manager, the other with the deputy manager. Stuff like "what are your hobbies?", "can you definitely work the specified hours?", etc. It wasn't much of an interview at all. It was mainly confirming things. One question that I didn't know how to answer though was "describe a time you received great customer service." I can't remember any time I've received great customer service. I said "I don't know. I usually just use self service checkouts, get my stuff and get out." I recommend you don't say that.

Interview Question – Describe a time you received great customer service.   Answer Question

ASDA Colleague Interview

ASDA Colleague
Leeds, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ASDA.

Interview Details The interview process is an "Asda Magic" event, where about 10 to 15 potential colleagues are invited to a recruitment event. The interviewees are observed by about 4 existing colleagues and managers on their suitability for the company. The beginning part mostly consists of breaking into pairs and finding out about eachother, then presenting information. Following this the interviewees are split into groups and asked to do a task such as a poster for a product or an advert for example. The shortlisted colleagues are later contacted and asked back for a mini interview.

Interview Question – As it is all about personality it is hard to prepare. There are no real questions to answer. personality is the most important thing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was barely any negotiation. They offer you certain hours but there isn't much room to change these.

Department Manager Interview

Department Manager
London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ASDA in August 2013.

Interview Details 1. assesment centre , 2. Presentation - Journey.

Interview Question – where you see youself in five years time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – quite straight forward

Home Delivery Driver Interview

Home Delivery Driver

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at ASDA in August 2013.

Interview Details asda magic day insight into the company

Interview Question – what type of fruit would you be   View Answer

Negotiation Details – good

Shop Floor Assistant Interview

Shop Floor Assistant
Reading, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ASDA in June 2013.

Interview Details I had to fill out a application form first; the normal and some questions on how to serve customers.
Then I had a group interview, did a get to know task, watched a video and built a house out of cards in two teams.
Just about to do an one to one interview.

Interview Question – What Cartoon Character would you be and why?   Answer Question