Advance Auto Parts Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct 2014
Updated 19 Oct 2014

2.4

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

First step was a call with a recruiter and a "personality" test, pretty standard. It was followed up by a panel conference call, personally a first for me. Approximately 2 weeks later I had a formal panel with the Area HR manager, Regional HR ,the RVP and another personal who's title escapes me. standard behavior questions with some others added to the mix.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you waste money by going to an ivy league school if you were going to work in the automotive industry?   Answer Question

The personality fit between myself and the person who would be my direct supervisor did not feel like it would be a great partnership.

COUNTER SALES Interview

One interview by general manager. Was asked basic automotive questions. Very short interview. Asked about previous work experience, nothing to difficult to answer. Very laid back experience. Had to pass a drug test. Started the following week.

Commercial Driver Interview

The application on the website was long but fairly easy. The interview was short, more conversational and they wanted to know my availability more and after a drug test I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't a difficult question, very straightforward   Answer Question

Advance Auto Driver Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

I only went on one interview with one manager. He asked questions about my previous work history. The interview lasted about five minutes. He was late for my interview because they were short on drivers. He told me they had to run a SLED background and a DMV background check.He gave me a paper to take for my drug test and said we will discuss what I would be getting paid after I took the drug test. (Which I thought was a little backwards most place tell you that information the same day they say you have the job)He called me back within three days of me taking my drug test.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult question just all basic interview questions   Answer Question
    If you are going to work here find out what you are going to get paid before you accept the offer because there is no room for negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Xenia, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Xenia, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

I applied online, showed up for the interview, and I was hired on the spot. Probably the easiest interview process ever. Took a drug screen and had to pass a background check. I discussed with the manager the expectations of the sales associate role and the logistics of the company. The manager explained to me that a sales associate will be written up if they don't meet the SPH goal. But, the manager said that someone would really have to slack to not meet the SPH goal.

Interview Questions
    There was not a negotiation phase.

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

You have to speak to several people and do some role playing for them to hire hard and the right mix. Upper management made you feel comfortable through out process. And good pace for the whole process.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in August 2014.

Applied online, got a call back from an interviewer to set up a phone interview. After phone interview, given appointment for an interview in person with the District Manager, about an hour's drive away. Upon arrival for my interview, after a few questions, was told that the position I had applied for was filled two weeks prior, and another position within a reasonable drive had been filled just that day.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in an auto parts store, even though you have no auto repair experience?   View Answer

The job offered was NOT in the region I had applied for.

Manager Interview

just talked to the RVP, HR, DL and was thrown into a junk store with no help. Was the worst DL I have ever talked to. Went to Atlanta, and Columbus for the interview process.

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2014.

I was initially contacted by an out of the area HR employee who conducted a general phone screening. I was then scheduled for an in person interview with the local District manager and a panel of other tenured General Managers from the area. I was contacted 2 weeks later and scheduled for an in person interview with the area HR Director and the Territory VP. I then was asked to come in for a final meeting two weeks later for a job offer. According to this DM the normal time frame start to finish is usually 2-3 weeks but there were unexpected delays (Territory VP's Vacation). Advance Auto Parts is in the beginning stages of positioning themselves as a sales organization so be prepared to talk about how you will create and inspire a sales culture in your store.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected but DEFINATELY thorough. Both of my face to face interviews were face to face and with 3+ people.   View Answer
    Yes there was negotiation. The DM was very upfront about company set pay ranges and even printed off detailed breakdowns of how my bonus structure works. He used the real numbers from my store to calculate average monthly bonuses for the past year.

Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, NC (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2014.

Went through interview process and was very pleased but was offered a better job. They were obliged by it and don't have any objections. I told them that I might be back of things didn't go well with this job.

Offered a better job.