Advance Auto Parts

Updated 9 Feb 2015
Updated 9 Feb 2015

2.3

Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

The interview was performed by the division manager and district manager with basic store operations questions including details about a P & L statement, inventory control, and employee training. The interview process was driven primarily in driving sales including commercial accounts and developing the talent the store needed to better serve the customer, retaining current staff to deliver a profitable store and following policies and procedures to ensure the store was successful.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult situation you had to deal with in a retail environment and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Commercial Parts Pro Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Was hired within one week very poorly ran place.
    Filled out the app online. Went the next week and talked to the manager had an Interview the next day then was hired after my drug test and back ground check came back.

Interview Questions
    Just they started at 7.60 a hour take it or leave it.

Retail Parts Pro Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

This was well organized, and professional. The manager had a good knowledge of his store and the practices. He asked questions pertinent to the job and the expectations of me for the job.

Interview Questions
    • They asked questions about automotive knowledge.   View Answer

General Manager Interview

Usual questions. Panel type intreview. Focused on customer service. Not concerned if you had auto parts experience. Please don't lead people on. Lead to believe I was a great candidate and would get their decision in a week. No call weeks later. Very unprofessional very glad I didn't get an offer

Interview Questions
    • why are you leaving your current job? really why do you think.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Can be a long process depending on district needs. Panel interviews , role playing Waiting on call backs. The process can be daunting patience is a plus. Job offer is basic very little room to negotiate salary

No negotiating

Delivery Driver Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

The interview was simple and quick. It took two weeks to get a return on back ground check and MVR status. I was interviewed by two men for the job as their delivery driver. I was asked various questions about vehicles, delivering parts, and up selling.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Applied online and contacted by telephone one week later. Interview consisted of an explanation as to taking a test and filling out a questionnaire on knowledge of retail sales in auto parts and customer service. At no time did the manager personally ask any questions of me. Claiming to be to busy to talk. Process took 35 minutes and when finished no one was available to talk to me concerning the position for the manager had left for a lunch brake. Another sales rep. told me I would be contacted in three to five days with an answer. I stopped by the store eight days later to follow up was greeted rudely by manager told interview process would end January 01,2015. No additional follow up made have very poor opinion of manager.

Retail Salesperson Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brownsville, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brownsville, PA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Applied online. Lengthy online test process before you even get considered for an interview, but after that it's pretty easy. Got an interview with two different locations within a week. Interview will vary greatly depending on your location's General Manager, but both of mine were extremely easy. I got 1 or 2 very basic automotive questions. At this time I knew almost nothing about cars and still answered the questions fine. A few very basic questions like why do you want to work here, past job experience, schooling, etc. At both of my interviews, there were basically no situational or behavioral questions (ie tell me a time that you... what would you do if... etc). Basically after that, I got a job offer on the spot, pending a drug test.

Interview Questions
    My manager was very nice about the offer. He offered $0.50 above minimum wage because he thought that I knew a decent amount about the automotive industry based on interview. Not much negotiation seemed available, so I accepted the offer without negotiation. He gave me a $0.25 raise within a few months without me asking for it.

Delivery Driver Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Be prepared for some serious ridiculousness here. Before the interview, they're already asking questions that it's illegal for them to ask. If HR represents the rest of the company, just pass on these guys. They asked for my birthdate. That's asking how old I am. They asked if I had recently been released from a penal institution and asked it in such a way that one could see that a yes answer wasn't a deal breaker. They asked for my social security number. I have had my accounts hacked already by a different employer who did that and had a less than honest HR person working there. They had a test that wanted to know how I work under stress. The whole process was meant to be, and is, demeaning.

Interview Questions
    • How old are you?
      What's your social security number?
      Have you recently been released from a penal institution?

View Answer

Assistant General Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Informal but professional. Once the online app was complete, I went to store and did a 1 on 1 interview with the GM. After a 20 min interview, I was offered the position and took it on the spot.

Short & sweet