Advisory Board

Getting the Interview

455 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales and Marketing Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details Applied online - contacted via email. First round screen interview, second round more personal interview with the head of department. First round was a basic screening interview which the rest of the reviews highlight. Use mostly behavioural questions. If you are to view the rest of the comments it will stand you in good light for what the interview will entail.

Interview Question – Behavioural interview   Answer Question

Dedicated Advisor Interview

Dedicated Advisor

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details I first had an initial phone interview and then was asked to come in for in-person interviews. I had 4 interviews each 30 min. Everyone that I met with was incredibly friendly and excited about the company and what they were each working on. They answered all of the questions that I had about the company. I had a great experience.

Interview Question – What do you think would be the most difficult part of this job for you?   Answer Question

Global Campus Administrator Interview

Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in March 2013.

Interview Details I applied online in early March and got an email two days later to do a phone interview. A recruiter called me the next week, and asked some typical interview questions (tell me about a time when..., walk me through your resume) and some not so typical ones (why did you choose your university, what would you change about your university). Why would they want to know stuff about my university? How does that even apply to the job?

A week later I received an email for an on-site interview in DC. The firm did not offer to reimburse any travel expenses "due to current business needs." I interviewed with two directors for a half hour each. Both seemed like very unenthusiastic people who did not want to be there, kept checking their phones and were looking down and twitting their thumbs while I responded to their questions. I was so turned off by their behavior that this probably threw off my responses. Thus I wasn't even the least bit upset when they sent an email saying they could not offer me a position at this time.

Interview Question – Is there anything else I should know about you? What are you looking for in a job/workplace and what aren't you looking for in a job/workplace?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details I applied online through the Advisory Board career website. I initially applied for the New Product Development position, but after a call with HR, they thought that I should apply for the Research Analyst role instead.

Phone interview: About 30 minutes. Why Advisory Board? Tell me about a project you did that was innovative?
On-site: 3 in-person interviews. 2 were case interviews and 1 was a behavioral interview. Also had a 1 page writing-sample.

Interview Question – Case questions were odd, but I went through the consulting interview process so I was pretty. Definitely know how to case   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got another offer at a different firm that appealed to me more.

Analyst, Talent Development Interview

Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2014.

Interview Details I applied on the company's website to the analyst position in the Research and Insights Department.

I was contacted within a week to set up a time for a phone interview, which happened pretty soon afterwords. First interview was behavioral and reviewing my resume/experiences. Pretty easy. During the interview, the woman told me I sounded like a better fit for the Talent Development department. I was later asked which department I would rather move forward with, and chose Talent Development.

Was contacted within a week to set up second round interviews. I responded with my availability, then reached out again a week later after no response. After a few more days, my interview was set up for about a week later in the DC office.

Before going to the office, I completed a case interview which was emailed to me. Pretty straightforward, standard case. Given 90 minutes to email back response.

In-person interviews were two 1-hour interviews. Both were a combination of reviewing experience and one "case" type question.

Despite the process being pretty lengthy and overly dragged out, I was fairly satisfied with my experience through the final interviews. I was, however, disappointed when I received a generic email from a third-party to inform me I had not received the job. I felt I had developed connections with a few individuals at the organization, and a generic email seemed inconsiderate. Additionally, I emailed my interviewees requesting feedback and advice, and was totally ignored. Feel I really may have dodged a bullet with this company.

Interview Question – An employee has a "Million Dollar Idea" to create a sunscreen pill. He wants to sell this product. What information would you need/advice would you have.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details applied through college career services. first round was a straight forward behavioral interview. the two women interviewing were very nice and seemed interested in getting to know you. the interview took around 30 minutes. although they were slow in getting back to me about going to a second round or not.

Interview Question – what would you change about your college experience/ advice you would give to your university?   Answer Question

Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Advisory Board in March 2014.

Interview Details After submitting your resume, you will hear back within 1-2 weeks from someone at ABC. You will get an email that says they would like to schedule a first-round phone interview and you can give them a few available times you can talk; otherwise, I'm assuming they would send you an email saying that they are not going forward in the interview process with you at this point.

This company likes referrals, especially because the person who refers you will get $1,000 if you land the job, so if you know someone who works at ABC, they will probably be happy to submit your resume for you. Also, you can ask them questions about the company and the role you are interested in.

I submitted my resume (was told that they don't really look at cover letters, so you can skip crafting a perfect cover letter for this application!) for an Analyst position but they scheduled an interview for the Marketing Associate position instead. If you don't have a lot of professional experience, they will mainly consider you for the Marketing Associate, Member Support, or Research Associate positions.

I did the first-round phone interview and will hear back in the next week (or two) to see if they want to do a second interview with me, which would be in person, I believe. Interview questions are not too hard! I actually over-prepared and had great answers I wanted to share about various things, from why I chose my major and minor, to a specific issue I wanted to tackle, but I didn't share that information.

Interviewer asked me to "walk through my resume," and I think that was a missed opportunity for me- I briefly mentioned each part of my resume, thinking I would get to touch on things in-depth later. This is your chance to mention things that you think are really important and relevant to the job you are applying for, so share your key points and you'll be good to go! Don't stress about the first-round phone interview.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. "Walk me through your resume." Will probably be asked a question about your most recent work experience.   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2014.

Interview Details Starts with a phone interview. Then you have to wait about 2 weeks to hear if you are invented to interview in person. I applied online. The phone interview was relatively basic. It lasts about 20 minutes. Basically you go through your resume and explain your experience. They were interested in why you applied to Advisory Board in the first place.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you weren't as organized as possible and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2014.

Interview Details I heard about ABC through a career database, and was able to get an employee referral. About 2 weeks after I submitted my application, I got an email requesting a phone interview. Like what a lot of people have said on here, the questions were pretty straight forward: tell me about your resume (with follow up on specific parts, so make sure you know it well), etc. I was not asked any real behavioral questions during this phone interview.

The interviewer was quite pleasant and didn't seemed scripted at all; in fact, we had a pretty organic conversation. The interview lasted about 30 minutes total. Make sure you know about specific aspects of the company - I think the interviewer was pleasantly surprised when I was able to ask detailed questions about the company at the end.

4 weeks after the phone interview, I was contacted in order to schedule an in-person interview in DC. They arranged my travel and accommodations, with reimbursement for all other costs. I was given an office tour by a current marketing associate, had 2 meetings with 4 chiefs of staff (2 per interview), then had lunch with the same associate that gave me the tour.

The in-person interviews were similar to the first round in that they focused on the resume and any relevant skills you may have for the position. They also place a lot of emphasis on making sure you know what responsibilities the position entails.

I was contacted by phone about 6 days after I left DC with an offer.

Interview Question – What other jobs have you been looking at?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I will be doing a second round interview in Washington DC.

Business Analyst, Associate Director Interview

Washington, DC (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2012.

Interview Details Had a phone interview initially, then a series of 3 in-person interviews. Not terribly difficult. The first was background on ABC and the role. Second was more technical and project management, and the third was a review of the other two combined with case studies.

Interview Question – Most difficult was the case study portion. It was a technical case study on issues that could be presented in data for a web-analytics tool.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Advisory Board

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advisory Board interview questions and advice. All 455 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Advisory Board employees and interview candidates.