Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated 30 Jan 2015
Updated 30 Jan 2015

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Applied online 1/16/15
    Received email 1/18/15 to answer questions

1. If hired, do you have COMPLETE open flexibility to relocate* to ANY and EACH one of our 5 domiciles - ANC, SEA, PDX, SAN or LAX (assignments are based on business needs and seniority)?
    COMMUTING is NOT a viable option; getting a crash pad is acceptable though.

2. Have you had an IN PERSON interview with Alaska Airlines for the Flight Attendant position within the last 6 months?

3. Are you able to attend an interview, if selected, in Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, Southern California, or Anchorage, AK at YOUR OWN EXPENSE in the next few weeks?

4. WHICH location would you prefer to attend an interview at YOUR OWN EXPENSE?

5. What is the best phone number to reach you during the week?

Notified 1/20/15 that they would like to schedule phone interview
    Phone interview 1/21/15
    1. Tell me about yourself
    2. Why Alaska
    3. Tell about time you went above & beyond for a customer
    4. What do you like least about your job
    Recruiter was so nice, made me feel welcomed, scheduled me for in person interview 1/28/15. The phone interviewer is not at the group interview.

Group interview at 1/28/15 8:00 am
    As people waited, everyone had their smile on & actively spoke to each other. Some really worked the room, making sure to visit with most of the applicants on the other side of the room.
    Showed video talked about the F/A life & Alaska's benefits.
    Split us into groups & different rooms
    Our group had 15-20 people
    Each had to stand up, say first & last name, plus the spelling of our names, then asked "What job have you been most loyal too"
    Then they split us into groups of two, picked a card that has question on it. Situational questions, What do you do if a person doesn't want to wear a seat belt, What if a coworker is rude to a passenger, why should flight attendants be professional, what if a passenger wants you to save a meal & you run out before you get to his row.
    Everyone had great answers, then the interviewers challenged our answers to make us think of a better, different answer, or if were going to stick with our original answer. Interviewers were very nice till this point, then they really pushed. They really picked on some of the people more so than others, which actually felt rude & made the rest of us uncomfortable watching the back & forth relay.
    Then we were each asked to give them one detail that was not on our resume. (A hobby or interest)
    Again, answers were wonderful by all.
    We then were told to break, then meet back in the first room.
    We all took our seats, chatted with our neighbor until spokesperson read the names that were selected. Out of 90 people applying they chose 12-14.
    Not sure what happened in the other rooms, but in the group interview that I was in, only a few were chosen out of our group of 15-18.
    Really hard to say what Alaska was looking for. Dark hair, Asian, Mexican, African American were mostly chosen. Not beautiful/handsome, more of a plain look. Some were kind of frumpy looking. I can say the few from my group were very articulate, but my whole group really was amazing. Many previous flight attendants were NOT chosen. Alaska is funny this way. Maybe they think flight attendant's can't be retrained? I don't know, but I know many that have applied that are outstanding employees, & they don't get chosen.
    There were so many people from all walks of life that flew in from faraway places, on their own dollar, that really thought they had a good chance, they were devastated. Honestly, its too many people in these group interviews. So many should have been able to go to the next step that looked & acted the part but were cut right away. Another disappointment is having to wait another 6 months to reapply, when so many are capable & have the qualifications for this job that were passed over. The recruiters state over & over to reapply, but why state that if you have so many capable applicants there now?

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

The day started early and promptly at 0800. Candidates were turned away in 0801. Forty one people made it by 0800.

The day started with a one hour presentation about Alaska Airlines explaining their culture, the Flight Attendant career, the life on reserve, and how training works. Then we split up into groups of approximately 10 and had a group interview.

During the group interview each person introduced themselves. They had us arrange in alphabetical order by last name. The recruiter handed out a card with one question on it and one by one we answered the question. After everyone was finished they went around and we had to say an interesting fact about ourselves that was not listed on our resume. Afterwards we were finished with the first session. We went on a break and back into the main room.

After a little wait and everyone was back in the main room, HR came in and called 16 names. Those 16 were selected to move forward to the next step and everyone else was free to go.

They gave us an interview time and released us to lunch.

This interview was one-on-one and began with a Flight Attendant going over the basic qualifications of the job, the minimum requirements, pay, uniforms, and training. Then we had your typical HR interview with the situational based questions and they went over your application and work history.

After the one on one interview we were told fairly quickly if we were going to advance to the final panel interview. Then there was about a three hour wait as others were finishing their one on ones.

After everyone was finished with the one on one they had narrowed it down to 10 folks. We were split into two groups. The panel interview was one big group exercise. They want to see how you work together. The questions were situation based - what would you do or how would you handle - type questions.

After our group was finished, we went into another room and waited. HR came in and said the were going to take us out individually and tell us the results. One candidate was called out and was not selected. HR came back into the room and offered the remaining four of us that we were successful.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when a previous employer implemented a policy change you either didn't agree with or weren't made aware of How did you handle it?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Everybody came to the hotel very early. I think over 100 applicants came for the group interview.The process was fast. They recruiters were accommodating. Group interview first then hr one on one interview. A lot of people were cut after the group interview. I think the phone screening should be stricter because some people flew all the way to seattle for the interview. Then after 2 or 3 questions they're out.

It was still a good experience though.

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2015.

Everything said here is exactly dead on. I made flash cards from the questions I read here and every question I heard that day was one of my flash cards. You need to stay energetic the entire time. That is where I think my downfall was. I aced the group interview. After that you meet with a flight attendant and they ask you about your ability to work whenever they want you too etc. Say yes to whatever they ask and stay upbeat. Think about it like this.. Be dumb blonde Taylor Swift happy. I'm dead serious. But try to make it as natural as possible. This applies to guys too. Be silly and happy but make sure whatever you say is professional. Not robotic. After that you meet with HR. This was my killer. They basically go through your work history and ask you why you left each job and are you rehireable. Blah blah... I think I got too serious here and lost my bubblyness and went straight to serious mode. Again they ask you more questions. All of those are also apart of the flashcards. Rehearse your answers to the point where you know them in your sleep. But deliver them as natural as possible. Again be really upbeat.. Match the energy of the interviewers. You are always watched dont forget that. Good luck. And like everyone else says you pay for everything on your own. I flew 5 hours there and back and paid for hotels and all. Make your money count if you go to this event. After the group they cut from about 125 down to 20. After that I'm sure even less. The panel is the final stage. Sorry no info on that. Remember this too. They will tell you to keep your answers down to 60 seconds. Listen. Everyone in my group that went over time did not get a Face to Face. Don't ramble. Short CUTE and sweet

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you were frustrated with a co worker and what did you do?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I recently had an interview with Alaska Airlines and was offered the position. I think a big reason why I, out of so many interviewees (a lot of whom were Flight Attendants) was successful is because of this website. So, I want to return the favor and help, to the best of my abilities anyone applying.

Prepare, prepare, prepare!!!! The best advice I give you. I went thru every entry and wrote down the questions others said they were asked and spent a lot of time thinking about them and practicing answering them. Im someone who gets very nervous during interviews but since I felt so prepared for what ever they might ask me I wasn't nervous once.

They are watching you at all times! Take notes during the video, look attentive and smile. You dont have to be grinning the whole time like a crazy person, you can smile with your eyes. Just try to look like you're having happy thoughts and not having thoughts about how tired you are from waking up so early and the lack of sleep from the night before.

Youll be split into large groups,here you will be doing some public speaking (yikes, I know). The questions will be easy and more likely than not the first question will be "tell us about the job you were most loyal to and why". Theyll specify that it doesnt necessarily need to be a "job" it could be a volunteer program you worked with or being a Mother. Know that, and I mean this is the nicest way possible, they dont actually care. They want to hear how whatever you answer can be applied to this position. You can say being a mother was yours because its taught you compassion for others or your job at Starbucks because you got to interact with so many different people. See what i'm saying?

After this theyll take a short break then they will announce who will be moving on (most people are cut here). Now its a one-on-one interview with someone from HR and it will be more of a typical interview. Situational questions and questions like are you willing to move (yes, anywhere is the correct answer). When answering know that they want to see your commitment here, tell them how youve looked into rentals for relocating and how working on Holidays isnt a big deal to you.

Finally if youve made it past that round youll be onto the final interview, which is another group interview. There will be a panel of people at a long table with chairs lined up facing them. Its a little intimidating since after their introduction they wont talk, theyll just watch you and write while one interviewer asks questions. What they look for here is how you work in groups, the task they ask you to do isnt as important as your teamwork skills.

Now its over and you can relax! Youll find out if youre offered a position soon after.

Things NOT to do during the interview:

Dont ramble! Keep it short and sweet. So many people in the first group interview when asked a question just talked and talked and talked and often by the time they were done they never really answered the question. If the question is about a past job then answer it as such, dont talk about why youd be such an awesome flight attendant or how youve always loved flying. People tend to ramble when theyre nervous so be sure to prepare.

Dont say youd fix a situation with an upset passenger by giving them free drinks/snacks ( people actually answered like this, more than once!)

Dont be rude to other people interviewing! Remember how I said they were always watching? When the small group of us left were all sitting in the lobby waiting for the final interview and far away from any Alaska employees, there was one girl that dropped the nice act at this point and was rude with me, just someone with a bad attitude. She was the only one of the group not to get an offer and her final interview went just as well as everyones. Maybe Im imagining things but I think they knew somehow that she was being rude (maybe an employee planted as a interviewee?) either way its not worth it and if youre rude to people this isnt the job for you anyways.

This is a wonderful company and if you get cut during the interview process don't be discouraged! Many people weren't successful until the 2ed or 3rd time. So try again in 6 months, it's worth it.

Hope this helps someone and I wish the best of luck to you all!!

Interview Questions
    • Lots of situational things.
      What you'd do about a co worker not working.
      Drunk passenger.
      Coworker rude to passenger
      Sick passenger.

Remember that when answering that the number one priority is passenger safety!

Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2015.

F2F interview started at 0800. Someone came in about 810 and they turned her away. When you arrive there are flight attendants that have you sign in. As you enter the conference room they have you take off your shoes and do the reach test. You can use your tip toes. I am 5'4" and did not have to use my tip toes.

They spent about an hour talking about Alaska culture, showing videos (the same ones you can find on youtube. fyi.) They talk about bases and basically tell you that you are going to go to Anchorage if selected. Several of the flight attendants speak and tell you different things about the company. I would say there were about 100 people there.

Then they split you up into groups of about 15 each. In our group there was an HR person and a flight attendant that conducted the interview. The group interview process was brutal really. You get very little time to speak. They have you each stand up spell your first and last name and answer the question, "What job have you had that you have been the most loyal to, and why?" They tell you they limit you to talk no more than a min. If you go over that they stop you and say thank you. Next they pass out situation cards and each person has to stand up, read their card, and give an answer. There were a lot of different situations, some were, How have you handled a situation when someone was breaking safety regulations or rules? Other's I can think of, what do you find most negative about being on reserve? What have you done when someone you work with was rude to a customer? Then they asked you to talk to the person next to you. After about 2 minutes they had us each stand up and give ONE WORD that describes the person. Then the last thing we did was to tell something about ourself that is not on our resume. Most people spoke less than about 15 seconds with that. We were never asked about ourselves, our background, why we want to be apart of Alaska or be a flight attendant. It really was more about hearing our voice, and first impressions.

I think the group interview should have had more to it, been more interactive, maybe introduce the person next to you. For people that came from far away, I think they especially need more time to show the recruiters who we are. Nerves are at their peek early on and with such a little snippet of who we are is not fair in my opinion.

After that they have you go back in the main room and watch more videos and mingle with the other that are interviewing. I had a feeling at this point that I was not going to be selected. The 2 ladies from my group interview were standing in the back of the room and I got up to get water. I smiled at them and started to talk to them for a second and they ignored me. So, I got my water and sat back down. They continued to blast the video and people were more interested in talking to each other while waiting for the "results".

After sitting there for a hour one of the HR people came in with a list of those that were moving on to the next step. She called about 30 names. I was not called. I was a little disapointed, since I know I am very qualified for this job. I was a flight attendant for 6 years in my past and have been a Registered Nurse for the last 13 years. As I looked at the applicants that were leaving with me I was very surprised at those not choosen to at least go to the next step. I also spoke with another former flight attendant who was also a nurse and that person was not choosen. One person that did go on from my group was not wearing suit. She was a cute girl, and was wearing pants and a sweater. When she spoke in the group nothing she said was anything better or worse then what others had answered. She had mentioned that her job was in a retail store.

I was told that those that went on would next be meeting 1 on 1 with and HR person to discuss their job history, and then those selected next would be in a panel and a group activity. Not sure by the end of the day who received a CJO.

Alsaka makes it very clear that you can not have had any nicotine products in the last 6 months. They said if you have they want you to let them know today and they would reschedule you for an interview in 6 months. They talked about the integrity of being truthful. They mentioned ANY nicotine, including Hooka. So, if you have smoked anything you really will be wasting your time at this point. Just withdrawl and try again when it is safe. I am not a smoker, never have been so it was a non-issue for me. But, I know some of that stuff is super popular with the younger crowd.

I would say if you have to travel far and pay for your own transportation not to interview with Alaska if you aren't willing to accept spending less than 3 minutes getting to show them who you are.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us the job you have had that you were the most loyal to and why?   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines in January 2015.

The best advice I could give someone who is going into the interviews is to make sure you mingle around with everyone and doing that with the biggest smile on your face. If your cheeks are not hurting you are not smiling to much. The company is looking for someone who is outgoing and has a sense of humor.

The interview started at 8. We all had to sign in and then do the reach test. Everyone to my knowledge passed that test. While you are in the room waiting to start the introduction make sure you talk to the people around you. The interviewers want to see how you interact with new surroundings and people. I noticed that some people were just sitting there not talking to anyone and those were the first ones to go. No nicotine is allowed in the company and they stress that. They pretty much ask you to leave and retry in 6 months when you have been free of nicotine.

After the introduction they broke us up into small groups. The first exercise they ask is for you to stand up and spell your first and last name and to answer a question "what job have you been most loyal to and why?" MAKE SURE YOU SMILE while answering the questions. The best advice I could give for this part is to be your self and not to be fake. They can spot the fakes and the people that tried to hard. They are not looking for someone to give gold star answers they are pretty much seeing if you can handle stress and what type person are you. The process is boring for them so if you can add humor to your answer you will most likely move on.

After an hour of waiting we all meet back in the conference room. I want to say about 75 people in all showed up for the interview. They called the names of who moved on and if your name was not called they ask you to leave. I fortunately was one of the 17 people that stayed. They then gave us all times for your face to face interview.

The first part of the face to face you get to have a talk with a FA. This was my favorite because you really get an insight and answers to all your questions you had all bundled up inside. Do not ask dumb questions! you really want to impress the FA because she is the voice to the HR. Next the face to face with the HR. In my opinion, I feel that this was the hardest because the questions they ask and how serious the HR is. I have to say, it was really hard to tell if I was doing a good job or not. Again make sure you have some humor, smile, and be your self. After the interview I thanked her for taking the time to interview me and walked out. I went back into the conference room and waiting. A girl came and called my name again took me to the hallway and told me I am moving on to the panel interview.

As we are waiting in the lobby for the panel we notice they cut more people. The final group was about 11 people who moved on to the final. The panel process is all about team work and how you show your self with a team. They brought in someone high up in the company to come in and interview us. If you don't stand out here you will be cut. The idea for the new person to interview us is because they are looking for people to light up a dull room and if you are the few to stand out they will ask you to move on. We did some more questions and team activities. The panel was done with us and told us to wait in the lobby.

After waiting for 2 hours we were called into the room. They cut the people in the beginning and the ones who they wanted got to stay. I was offered the job and accepted with 6 other people.

More advice! make sure to do your research. I have to say this website gave me lots of insight and what to expect. Smile smile smile and don't stop. During the end of the day it gets harder because you are exhausted and hungry but its worth it if you make it to the end. The whole process was fairly easy but honestly I met some people who bought a plan ticket just for this and were sent home. Not sure it would be worth it to spend that kinda money and not know if you will make it or not.

Interview Questions
    • explain the most stressful situation you were in and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Recently had a phone interview that resulted in scheduling an in-person interview. Interview was very brief. Questions were to describe an example of when you went above what was expected for customer service, why do you want to be a flight attendant with Alaska Airlines, and what have you done to improve your professional image (ie CPR certification course or something that wasn't expected of you but you did in order to improve yourself). Also asked about past 10 years of work history and why you left/are wanting to leave your most recent/current job. Lasted about 15 minutes and at the end they said they would like to schedule an in-person interview which I have yet to attend.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done to improve your professional image?   Answer Question
    Got offered a second interview.

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in December 2014.

Applied online, got a response email about a week later asking me to do a phone interview the following week. The interview took about 30 minutes. The guy was very nice, asked a lot of questions about my work history and how I've handled difficult situations in the past. Also continually asked about my willingness to relocate to ANC, SEA, PDX etc if hired. At the end of the conversation, he invited me to a group interview in Irvine (I live 20 mins away so it was very convenient) that was to take place in 3 weeks. I have a few flight attendant friends, so I was able to bounce some questions off of them before hand, but this website was my saving grace. Everything on this thread about the group interview for Alaska Airlines is extremely accurate.

I did my research on the company, bought a new interview outfit (black pant suit, silky blouse, black mary janes...ladies keep it simple, hair up or down is acceptable from what I noticed) and practiced my answers the best I could before the big day. I was extremely nervous and only got about 3 hours of sleep the night before, which unfortunately had a huge effect on my ability to think on my feet and give the articulate answers that they are looking for. The process is pretty straight forward and if you read through the other posts you will get a good idea about the general format of the day, but here's my little breakdown as well :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    *Get there early!!
    *Make a point to sit next to someone and initiate conversation while you're waiting around (this was very easy since everyone I encountered was personable and genuinely nice).
    *Hour long video/informative presentation by current FA's and recruiters.
    *Divide into smaller groups of 25 (there were 75 people total in this particular event)
    *45 mins of group questions and a partner activity where you had to discuss and answer a question together.
                     Q: "Name a job you were most committed/loyal to."
                     Q:"Tell us one thing that is not on your resume." (This could honestly be any random/interesting fact about you...be sure to incorporate your personality and even inject a little humor. The whole interview is meant to be professional, but still real and genuine. They want to see a mix of professionalism and personality. But don't be too boisterous or overbearing and keep your answers short and sweet!)

*After this, we were all told to take a 45 minute break so they could decide who moves onto next round.
    *Upon our return a new lady came in and announced the 4 names of the people that would then be continuing on to the next round of HR/Panel interviews.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately my name was not called and my day was over at this point (around 12:00pm). The 4 girls that moved on were nothing special in my opinion. I was shocked at who they didn't pick. People I thought were going to be a shoe-in were sent home, so I didn't beat myself up too bad. There were a few people that had been through the interview process several times and still got sent home, but the recruiters made a point to encourage you to reapply in 6 months and also that many successful employees have had to go through the interview process 3-4 times.

At the beginning of the day they mentioned how Alaska will be hiring over 400 new FA's in 2015 due to expansion, so we were all very optimistic about possibly having a large group move on, but unfortunately they probably only ended up hiring about 5-8 people.

Overall is was a pleasant experience and I am very thankful that I went through it because it gave me at least some sort of a foundation to base my future interviews off of.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when your employer initiated a policy change and how you dealt with it.   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in December 2014.

This was probably the hardest interview I've ever had. It was very long and exhausting. Its really important to prepare and arrive at the interview informed as much as possible. Although i didnt receive an offer this was a really great learning experience! heck i might never be nervous for interviews again lol jk I wish ;) I don't think i would have gotten as far as i did if it werent for the helpful suggestions of the other reviewers :) My interview went as follows:
    1. Interviewers intros then video.
    Break
    2. Group interview
    another break but after this one names were called of who passed everyone else was asked to leave
    3. Fill out some paperwork, and wait for your turn to be interviewed by a Flight Attendant
    mini break (sorta)
    4. HR interview
    more mini breaks
    ..and this is as far as I got :( But wait!! Theres more so don't go just yet lol the guy i was talking to told me everyone who passed got sent on lunch after FA and HR int. and after that I think came another group interview. So like said earlier this site help so I wanna help others too so here it goes:
    Rule #1 Don't be Fake! I literally think they can smell the fakeness on some people and that's how they so easily cut people after the giant group interviews.Don't feel intimidated by other people, sounds hard but its possible. Just be yourself and before you realize it you'll be having a good time and that's what they wanna see :)
    Rule #2 Don't Ramble! When they ask a question keep it simple and to the point. Once you pass the group interview you will have your chance to shine with both the FA and HR one on one. The worst thing you can do during the group interview is ramble on and on. A handful of people did this in my group and it was really apparent when the interviewers were done listening. The last thing want is for the interviewer to cut you off and tell you you're taking too long. so rambling = HUGE No No! Also I don't think I need to mention this but just as a reminder please Do NOT talk negatively of customers whether they are real or made up. I say made up because some of the questions they ask will be scenario types and one lady actually said that if she had to she would "take it to the tracks" to settle a argument with her made up customer.. o_O
    so yeah don't ramble OR make any comments suggesting you have violent or aggressive tendencies or traits.
    And lastly
    Rule #3 Be a good listener
    what I mean by this that you pay attention to anyone who has the floor whether they are interviewer or interviewees. Be supportive of others too if they say something funny likea joke its okay to laugh its good for you and them too :)
    I hope this helps anyone who reads it sorry if its long but I just wanted ti share as much as I could and there still more to tell :) Goodluck to everyone! Also as my last bit of advice: when they ask you which location you prefer? Just say no preference. And that you would be happy to go wherever they send you. I think this was my big mistake that that got me sent home, when the HR lady asked me where I wanted to be based I said "CA because because this is my home" she just made a face and continued writing then I quickly added that I would like anywhere but by then the damage was done :P so yeah there's a such thing as being too honest. No Preference is not lying its more like being neutral. :) okay bye for reals this time guys ;)

Interview Questions
    • How to calm an angry customer?
      What to do if its time for take off and someone has not put on their seatbelt?
      What to do if someone obviously needs help but does not understand english?
      What job are you most loyal to?

Answer Question