Allstate

Very Difficult Interview

IT Graduate Position Interview

IT Graduate Position
Belfast, Northern Ireland

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Allstate.

Interview Details Interview process was quite lengthy and did take a relative amount if time. First of all it was though submitting a CV took quite a while for a response but then an interview was arranged this was both scenario based and technical questions (they will grill you a bit technically wise) then received an email due to such a high volume of candidates and was invited to fill out an additional application.

Interview Question – Questions such as how have you dealt under pressure, did u face any difficulties when it came to doing Uni work is there any mark u gained u weren't satisfied with the difference between a class and an object what different types of testing are there   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Northbrook, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Allstate in December 2013.

Interview Details Initial communication was with an officer in my area, through him the position became available and I was given a link to apply online by a recruiter. I emailed several times with her before conducting a phone-screen interview. I made clear my interview requirements, which needed to be after the school semester was over, and Allstate was more than accommodating. On my interview day I was taken to my area by the intern lead where I interviewed with 5 senior-level directors in my department to determine which team would provide the best mutual fit.

Interview Question – My interviews served less of a case study and more of "tell me about yourself" conversations to determine best fit. The most difficult part was thinking on the spot to tie my experiences into the different teams whose responsibilities were unknown to me prior.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as this was the position I was seeking

Accountant Interview

Accountant

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at Allstate.

Interview Details Initial HR phone screening, then face to face interview with HR, then 1-on-1 interview with department hiring manager and a follow up interview with the director next week.
Decision rendered within 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Relaxed interviews, questions about work ethics and work methods, handling difficult situations, career aspirations etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for salary negotiation but was able to get additional vacation time

Very Easy Interview

Claims Adjuster Interview

Claims Adjuster
Woodridge, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Allstate in July 2014.

Interview Details Honestly, it was a very pleasant and easy interview. I spoke with two gentlemen who were the heads of the liability claims department, and they were both very easygoing and cool. Although Allstate is a huge company, the demeanor of everything was laid-back. Both of the men took a "we have to ask you these silly questions because it's a job interview" approach, but they still ask many questions that are less robotic and more individualized. They made nearly everything about the position clear. I really liked that they told me what the other recent hires were like - it gave me an idea of how my qualifications matched up with those who are entry-level college grads like me. I only interviewed yesterday and am waiting for a call back, but regardless if I get an offer, it was a very simple interview that increased my confidence and the appeal with working for the company.

Interview Question – None were difficult. They were all customer service related. How do you handle stress at work, how do you handle an unhappy customer, have you ever dealt with a big change at work, etc.   View Answer

QR&A Interview

QR&A

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Allstate in April 2014.

Interview Details I completed three interviews for my internship, which seemed a bit intense for a rising sophomore in college. The first was with my recruiter, the next was a phone interview with three members of the team that I am on (including my manager and his boss). The third was an in office interview with various members of the team composed of a presentation, behavioral interview and case simulation.

Interview Question – The behavioral interview was standard; however, it was the most difficult to complete.   Answer Question

Applications Developer Interview

Applications Developer

I applied through another source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Allstate in November 2013.

Interview Details Got connected with Allstate through and career fair at my University - through this fair it was very easy to submit my resume. They did a mini interview there on the spot. I got called back to an 'interview day' or something like that. There was two interviews, a behavioral and a technical. Both were a half hour long. Behavioral, they asked only 2 questions, so we had to be able to talk for 15 min on each question. They were too hard, descibing group experiances and mistakes we made, along those lines. For the Technical I believe they asked me 10-20 questions. I applied for Application Developer, most questions were fairly easy, describe scope, descibe object-oriented programming, descibe 'static'....if you are a computer science major and grasp what is goin on in your classes, it should be easy....They also have drug and background screenings (screenings are after the position is accepted).

Interview Question – They asked my questions on SQL, at the time I had not yet taken a Databse course so I was clueless on SQL....I told them I was enrolled in a database course and was taking it next semester, they were understanding.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No need to negotiate, they offered a lot of money for an intership.

Applications Developer Interview

Applications Developer
Lincoln, NE (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Allstate in May 2014.

Interview Details I submitted my application online. I got an email back from the Talent Coordinator of Allstate looking to have me come in for an interview. I scheduled an interview and they gave me a location. I interviewed with the manager who hired me and one of my soon to be cooworkers. The asked me about everything on my resume, they were trying to get a feel for who I was, what I do, how I do it and so forth. We chatted for about an hour. There was a scripted part of the interview, casual conversation about things on my resume, and a time for me to ask them questions. After I had ran out of questions, I thanked them, and went home. A few days later I got a call back from Allstate and they had offered me a position.

Interview Question – The hardest part of the interview was answering some object oriented programming questions. At the time, I had blanked on the definition of polymorphism and the differences between an abstract class and an interface. I should have brushed up more on my programming knowledge.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered, I accepted their terms. No negotiations for an intern position. None that I remember at least.

Leadership Development Program Interview

Leadership Development Program
Northbrook, IL (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Allstate in May 2014.

Interview Details I got an email the day after submitting my application online with an invitation for a phone interview. The phone interview took place about a week later. It consisted mostly of me talking about my leadership and work experiences during college. The interviewer praised my leadership abilities and experiences, only for me to receive an email the day after saying I was no longer being considered for the program.

Interview Question – Questions mainly about leadership experiences during college   Answer Question

AskHR Interview

AskHR
Northbrook, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Allstate in June 2014.

Interview Details I saw an opening online for a entry-level HR position at Allstate and applied. A few days later I got a call to schedule a phone screen and it was pretty straight forward. She asked questions about my resume and then we scheduled an interview for me to come in and meet the team. I loved the place. The interview went great and I had a lot of great questions but at the very end they said "we actually don't have anything open right now but we MIGHT call you in three weeks." I was confused because they had a job opening up online. 3 weeks goes by and I don't hear anything so I emailed all three people that I spoke with for interviews and not a single one responded to me. RUDE!

Interview Question – A lot of customer service related questions   Answer Question

Internet Chat- Sales Interview

Internet Chat- Sales
Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Allstate in July 2012.

Interview Details Internal candidates with sales background only due to necessity of intimate familiarity with Allstate's internal guidelines and processes gained through experience with the Inbound Licensed Sales Representative role.

BDI format for all of the interviews they conduct throughout the company. In the Charlotte CCC office, these interviews are conducted by the team leader for the unit and they are the final hiring decision based on the standardized scoring of the results.

All answers should be presented in the "STAR" format (Situation, Task, Activity, Result) with emphasis on what you personally have done in previous roles that qualifies you to hold the position. They will ask you a question such as "Describe a situation where you went above and beyond for a customer."

The appropriate response will include a synopsis of the situation the customer interaction presents, the task that a candidate performed in accordance with the customer's request, and the actual activities executed in the prescribed duty. They will expect you to wrap up your answers with a description of the result of everything that preceded it.

What once was a team of twelve high-performing property and casualty agents has dwindled into five as people are fired for dubious reasons (without honest attempts at coaching) or leave on their own accord to greener pastures. Multiple times job postings for replacements have been cancelled by corporate decision makers who have no idea how the job services customers, thus making it obvious that they don't see a plan for the position going forward.

Interview Question – What is an example of a time when you had to deal with a stressful environment and what coping methods did you use?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable salary within band ranging from ~$28,000 to ~$43,000 depending upon tenure and performance raises in the duration. Hourly with rare overtime opportunities in your function.

Formerly had additional commission based on sales that ranged up to $2,000 monthly, but that ended in Jan 2013 after being guaranteed that it would remain intact in late Oct 2012. At that time, the team was told long-term plans intended to transition to service in 2014. Not nearly as lucrative as it used to be.

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!