Altera

Very Easy Interview

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Senior Applications Engineer
London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Altera in April 2010.

Interview Details I went through the recruitment process using an agent. Arranging the interview was easy and efficient, time, location etc etc.

The company had just one interview which was beyond what one would considerable reasonable. It was over 5 hours from 10 am to 5 pm, with 30 minutes for lunch. It involved being interviewed by 6 different interviewers. The first interviewer was non technical (the manager), the 4 in the middle were engineering staff, all technical followed by a final HR interview. Non of the interview was difficult, fairly easy, the engineering staff and management were not trained in interview techniques and it came across as muddled and overly simplistic and unnecessary with allot of duplication and waffle.

The correct client can be decided in 5 minutes for an expect in his/her field, this company completely lacked any idea of how to spotting good talent

Interview Question – The most difficult question was related to timing closure of an FPGA.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was easy, the agent told me the salary they would likely accept and I got it plus a large amount of stock options and relocation expenses.

IP Design Engineer Interview

IP Design Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details First was a phone interview where some fairly basic questions were asked, mostly on video processing (what the job was focused on) in hardware. Issues that might be encountered such as bandwidth, optimization of look-up tables for functions (such as sine), etc. Second was a number of face-to-face interviews, covering my motivation and, more importantly, my RTL skills.

Interview Question – Lots of issues dealing with RTL design of FSMs, BRAM, and the like. Also issues on interacting with DRAM.   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altera in February 2010.

Interview Details Multiple interviews with low-level engineers, high-level individual contributors, and some executive management. Likely depends on the job.

Interview Question – As a former employee of the company, I had a lot of 'why do you want to come back to Altera?' and 'do you plan to leave again?',   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary was fine, had to push hard for a signing bonus. RSU grant was very good.

Advanced Design Engineer Interview

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Altera in March 2011.

Interview Details Phone interview followed by on site. Lots of rounds of interviews. At the end there will be a presentation to see how well you communicate.

Interview Question – They will ask you digital design questions that are tricky and tough to solve in 45 mins. They dont expect the correct answer but expect you to go in the right direction in solving the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didnt since I was an NCG. But you need to get one or two offers and then negotiate.

Summer Internship Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in February 2014.

Interview Details My advisor had referred me for the position. Received an email for scheduling a telephonic interview. The interview last for an hour or so. I was asked about my work experience and projects. The interviewer dod not ask any technical question from projects, it was more of what I did. He expalined the work in his team and though my skills and experience did not match any of those. (Though is was somewhat similar). I was asked just one question on writing a verilog code for a simple state machine. Wasn't asked any more questions. I wrote the code too quickly and thought he wouldn't like me to keep him waiting for too long and will also be helping me in correcting it. He then gave hints for correcting it after that. But I think he expected it to be right in first go.

Interview Question – Writing a code for a state machine on telephonic interview.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Interviewed at Altera

Interview Details Met at a career fair. I went for an onsite interview. I had 5 interviews in roughly 4 hour. The questions asked were both technical and behavioral but mainly technical. It really depends on who is interviewing you. Be prepared to the interviewer to bump on a previous answer to ask a new question, be relax and most importantly be confident!

Interview Question – How are you going to help the company solve its problems?   Answer Question

Software Design Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details 2 technical phone interviews for 1 hour duration each, followed by a call and email from HR. Got a call from one of the Employees, he explained to me the skills they required and proceeded immediately to ask technical questions. This was followed by another technical interview from the Hiring co-coordinator. Questions regarding projects on resume, C programming, matlab, verilog, DSP, Digital Design and Computer Architecture !

Interview Question – Discuss the internal system of a day to day electronic device such as a refrigerator or a television   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Great Competitive salary. No negotiations

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Altera in February 2014.

Interview Details Met the team leader at school's career fair. They called me to set up an onsite interview but I did not receive a confirmation till 3 days before. The interview itself was technical transistor-related questions and a little more in depth discussion of projects on my resume. You need to have your technical knowledge at your fingertips to do well.
Overall, okay interview, the company culture itself did not seem to impress me much. Out of the 6 interviewers, 3 did not show up because they had other "commitments". One of the interviewers kept texting while speaking to me which just appeared downright disrespectful.

Interview Question – Can you draw a schematic for the entire 3 stage Analog amplifier you designed as part of your class ?   Answer Question

Design Engineering Intern Interview

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details Phone interview - 2 rounds
1st round - Manager: Basic questions based on resume: SRAM Design, Challenges faced during the project. Drawbacks of increasing wire lengths.
Programming online and submit the source code.
2nd round: Questions were on the programs that I had written.
Behavioral questionnaire to be filled.
Overall process took 2-3 weeks.

Interview Question – Straight forward questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Altera in April 2013.

Interview Details Had two phone interviews, neither of which I think would have been difficult for a prepared candidate. However, this was my first interview experience and, as a silly college freshman who had just decided to pursue the computer science major, I was thoroughly unprepared at the time.

I don't remember the details, but as far as I recall the interviews went like this:

First phone interview(1h30):
Spent maybe fifteen minutes to a half an hour asking some behavioral questions and explaining what his role was: what classes? Why computer science? Etc

Then several simple brainteasers and coding questions: the common find a loop in a linked list, flipping a stack of pancakes so that it ends with largest on the bottom to smallest on top, and the number of rounds in a tennis tournament with n teams (log2n). I think there were two more that were slightly more difficult than these.

One coding question with a shared document online: something about 0s and 1s in matrices, but I don't really remember.

Second phone interview(30 min):
Went straight to coding on a shared document.
Was asked to write a for loop to add numbers one to a million, and to reverse a string in-place.

Interview Question – a matrix question I don't really remember   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Altera

Worked for Altera? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Altera interview questions and advice. All 82 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Altera employees and interview candidates.