Altera Interview Questions

Updated 22 Apr 2015

3.1

Functional Safety and Embedded Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in High Wycombe, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Altera (High Wycombe, England) in November 2014.

Interview

Process started by their internal recruiter picking me up from my Linkedin profile. The first stage was a telephonic interview with the Manager, whom was very nice asked a lot about the Functional safety stuff and was pretty satisfied. Then i was called up by an Altera functional safety expert from SAN JOSE and again a useful discussion with a real polite to inquire about my real experience with functional safety and FPGA design. Then i was called for a face to face, with four interviews and a full day. Lot of technical stuff from FPGA to Functional safety to software programming as the role was quite diversified. In last a long HR interview about previous experience motivation, your best project and worst project sort of questions

Interview Questions

• yes was given a document with multiple subgraphs with tree like structures and connected in different combinations and was asked to count the number of graphs using a linked list sort of structure. Was unexpected did made few suggestion but eventually come up with a solution with the help of the interviewer.   1 Answer

IP Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Altera.

Interview

First was a phone interview where some fairly basic questions were asked, mostly on video processing (what the job was focused on) in hardware. Issues that might be encountered such as bandwidth, optimization of look-up tables for functions (such as sine), etc. Second was a number of face-to-face interviews, covering my motivation and, more importantly, my RTL skills.

Interview Questions

• Lots of issues dealing with RTL design of FSMs, BRAM, and the like. Also issues on interacting with DRAM.   Answer Question

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Altera (London, England) in April 2010.

Interview

I went through the recruitment process using an agent. Arranging the interview was easy and efficient, time, location etc etc.

The company had just one interview which was beyond what one would considerable reasonable. It was over 5 hours from 10 am to 5 pm, with 30 minutes for lunch. It involved being interviewed by 6 different interviewers. The first interviewer was non technical (the manager), the 4 in the middle were engineering staff, all technical followed by a final HR interview. Non of the interview was difficult, fairly easy, the engineering staff and management were not trained in interview techniques and it came across as muddled and overly simplistic and unnecessary with allot of duplication and waffle.

The correct client can be decided in 5 minutes for an expect in his/her field, this company completely lacked any idea of how to spotting good talent

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was related to timing closure of an FPGA.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was easy, the agent told me the salary they would likely accept and I got it plus a large amount of stock options and relocation expenses.

Product Engineer Interview

Interview

Around 1 hour long interview focus on technical questions and problem solving skill. Need to face few interviewer at the same time to prepare to explain technical answer on paper. There is no IQ test involved.

Test Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

the interview process goes well. I was asked questions on my project experience, and evaluate myself on software programming.... Surprisingly the hiring manager ask two questions on puzzle sovling questions which is pretty interesting to solve. people over there is nice and smart but I feel the interview process is kind of a rush.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA (US)).

Interview

Very typical interview process, phone interview followed by in-person interview. I met with four interviewers onsite. Two of them are very junior and the other two are not pleasant at all. They seem to be very busy, not prepared, and rush through everything.
    It could be worse, I have been to worse interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you do if <fill in the blanks situation>?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Altera.

Interview

The whole interview is around 1 and half hour. The interview question is more or less starting from telling me about yourself. And why you want to join in our company. Also, why you choose this position which is not matched with your degree major.

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Altera.

Interview

The first round of interview had two sessions: hardware and software. Generally, there are 3-4 rounds of interviews before the final offer is made. Hardware questions dealt with basic digital design concepts (timing, design of counters). Software questions dealt with algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Design of a Gray counter, Setup and Hold time violation conditions in a circuit given.   Answer Question

R&D IC Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altera.

Interview

I applied the position through online recruitment from the official website. Took 2-3 weeks for them to call back and arrange interview. I have gone through two interviews (R&D IC design engineer and IP design engineer) on two different dates. After one week I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were pretty simple, mostly on getting to know about you, mostly things on the resume.

Technical questions were those typical ones, like define set up time and hold time, define PMOS and NMOS

Answer Question

Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

The position is an entry level role that is a rotation between Sales, Marketing, and Technical services. An initial phone screen about general interests followed an on site interview with individuals from Marketing and Applications Engineering. Questions were limited to feelers about my personality, interests, and thought process. Not satisfied with my evaluation, they called me in again for another on site to interview with more members of the Applications Engineering team.

Interview Questions

• Questions from projects, PLL, general coding, and aptitude.   Answer Question