Amazon.com

5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

E-commerce Graduate Programmer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

After online application followed a first short phone interview (very easy and friendly), and this was followed by an hour-long competency based interview which included a sales role play. The questions were straight forward and mostly related to the competencies sought for in the role. The role play was relatively easy however prepare well for arguments against rejections.

Interview Questions
    • What other types of jobs have you been applying to and how far have you gotten?   Answer Question

Production Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Whole process was across 2 months. 2 phone calls, 2 weeks apart. And then an in house multi interview session, total of 5 people, across 5hrs.

All behavioural questions as many have stated here. Very predictable in that sense - and GD proved to be a valuable resource. None of these questions were repeated except in a generalised manner, so not sure how they can determine discrepancies. Nothing out of the ordinary really though and not alot of deep diving; which is what I had prepared for.

There wasn't much particular interest in what I wanted to achieve as opposed to what they were expecting from me. I relate that to the idea that you must always be mindful to 'interview' them. I didn't feel as inspired as anticipated and with hindsight that probably didn't reflect well.

Overall, I have to say I didn't get a tremendous amount of zeal or excitement from the individuals I met.

They pride them selves on the 'unique' interview style - it was pretty intense but not too exhausting. I attempted to have enough questions to ask...and asking the same question of different people was interesting.

Of course, I thought that I was perfectly qualified and the right type of person - they told me as much. But I was rejected. Go figure.

Investigation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Two easy phone calls, online language tests which included quite complex terminology. Face to face interview lasting the whole day with 3 or 4 people from within the company in a row. Expect a competency based interview based on the Amazon principles. They will literally ask you to provide worklife examples about EVERY SINGLE ONE of the principles, even if you are a graduate.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a difficult colleague? Tell me about one time when you made a mistake at work and how you fixed it.   View Answer

Enterprise Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2014.

- Contacted by email to arrange an appointment for a phone interview
    - Phone interview lasting 15 minutes
    - Questions:
      Why do you want this job?
      How much are you looking for this job?
      Other question about relevant skills for this position.
    Only the CV is required to apply to Amazon so this first step might be considered equivalent to a cover letter.

Associate Partner Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

First had a 45 minute phone interview with a case study. Then I had 5 30-45 minute long interviews at the head office. I felt like this was quite excessive. Prior to applying I had quite high standards towards Amazon, however in these face to face interview I was not impressed by all the managers I met. Some of them seemed cold and were not the easiest to understand. Also I found most did not seem super positive about amazon.

I then did not receive an offer for that role, but they made it seem like I had received an offer for a short term project role during the initial phone call. The HR team set up a meeting with the manager of the project and I was told prior to the phone call it was just an informational call to see if I was interested. However when I got the phone call it was a phone interview which I was not expecting, as I thought it was up to me to accept the role. I was then brought in for another face to face interview with two people and once again although these interviewers were nicer, I still did not feel like they were super proud about Amazon.

All in all, my opinion of Amazon as a company has changed throughout this process. I was not impressed by the people I met. I do think that the employees in the London office are a step down from their American counterparts which is quite sad for me. One of my feedbacks was that appartenly my communication responses were jumbled however I found roughly 4-5 of my interviewers (out of 7) had very similar styles and did not have the standard of communication that I would expect from the managers of the teams.

Associate Partner Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

Initial telephone interview featuring role-play followed by being called up for face-to-face interviews in the London offices. Interview structure was 45 mins competency q's, followed by 15 mins skills test - questions like 'if we introduced a new category to the Amazon marketplace, what data would you seek to find?', and picking the seller to be in the 'buy box' based on a couple of details on a range of sellers. Most definitely is right and wrong answers despite the fact they tell you there isnt.

Didnt get the job role based on lacking 'experience and skills' for the role, as i was straight out of uni and looking for 1st professional job role then they should have known that my experiences were limited, also meant that having 4 rounds of 45 minute competency-based q's were a bit of a struggle. You would think theyd have looked at the cv before interview, but apparently not, and in reality this is a telesales job, so I dont believe you need a great deal of skills to carry the role out well! Really dont feel that this method of interviewing works, encourages liars, doesnt allow you to open up or for them to get to know who you are and what you can add, whereas conversational techniques used by the likes of Accenture you get the impression they know the real you, and whether you'd fit in by the end of the process.

Also on speaking to the representative employee it's clear that youll need to work 13hr days in order to progress in the company. I imagine the staff turnover is pretty high, as a 'burn and churn' approach to employees is taken, they seem to want to employee recent grads who are willing to work long hours, work them into the ground, and then they'll move on. You quickly get the impression there that employees arent too happy, and most probably see it as a stop-gap job, in looking for stock-brokering jobs and the like. Personally I think there are job roles out there which can pay well, actually encourage you to develop your skills, and dont wash you up asap, so I wouldnt recommend taking on this position unless you really are keen on getting into a heavy phone-based sales role.

Interview Questions
    • How have you helped someone else achieve their career goals?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager/London Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in August 2014.

First two stages over the phone fairly easy, people friendly but a lot of similar questions about data analysis etc. Before the third stage you need to complete numerical and verbal tests which are very difficult given the available time. My third stage interview, scheduled weeks in advance, has been cancelled on the evening before the actual day via email, only saying that the role has been put on hold, so I simply wasted one day off and all the time I spent on preparation.

Interview Questions
    • How did you use the data analysis in the past to enhance customer experience?   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Applied though Amazon website, I was contacted by the recruiter at Amazon who arranged a telephonic interview. Two telephonic interviews one with Software Development Manager and other with Software Engineer.

First telephonic interview was generally around my past experience both technical and behavioral mostly "tell me about the time questions.." questions. I was asked about a project I was really proud of and high level architecture of the project. I took the Situation Action Response approach for all my answers. Keeping in the leadership principles in mind and focusing on them in my answer's. I asked a few times if I needed to go into details (I was ignored) I believe they have a set of questions and they just run through them.

Second round of interview was scheduled with Senior Software Development Manager but instead a Software Engineer called - so it turned out to be a technical interview - again it was mainly on the architecture of my current project and than follow up questions on why we are doing things in certain way I did reply to all of his questions when it was 3 mins remaining he asked me to write a code to implement a stack. I took time here as I wrote the sudo code (dint need it but I dint want to spoil it for me), I told him I am writing the sudo code first. I wrote the code and read it out I believe he was happy with it. I apologized we over ran the allocated time. The guy who called me sounded really cool and relaxed. His questions were impressive.

It took about a week for them to let me know the answer in each instance I did follow up after a week. I don't really get the reason for rejection. I have emailed the recruiter but I don't think they will reply. The whole 2 interview took about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • I did not think any questions were difficult everything was common sense. Below are some questions I was asked.
      1) Tell me about a project that you are proud of
      2) What matrix did you use to determine the success?
      3) Tell me about instances where you had most difficult time with people management.
      4) How did you work with a low performer with was the outcome?
      5) Did you have to fire anyone?
      6) What are the disadvantages of Agile?
      7) What is the high level architecture of your current project?
      8) Have you implemented a project from scratch how did it go? High level architecture.
      9) Implement stack in any language.

Answer Question

Product Support Specialist Interview

This was a series of two phone interviews followed by four back to back interviews in person. The questions were really structured and all competency based around adherence towards their leadership principles. You so get the same questions asked quite a few times but you should still make sure you come armed with dozens of examples that have numbers behind them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you used data to make a decision.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

I applied online the process took several months. There were to rounds of phone interviews followed by an on-site, full-day interview.

The interviewers on the phone were both chilled out and helpful.
    They asked some basic computer science related questions that I cannot recall but it wasn't hard.

Both phone interviews had one coding task as it's main part which I had to conduct on the fly through a website that provided real-time visibility of my code to the interviewers.

The first one they assessed if I'm capable of applying the OO design principles and made me implement a card shuffler.

On the second phone interview I had to implement a function which returns the string versions of numbers in English, e.g. 11 => eleven.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions, they don't ask framework or language specific stuff which was a big relief.   Answer Question