Amazon.com Interview Questions & Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Edinburgh, Scotland
    Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Phone interview was included mostly high-level questions. Interviewer was pleasant and asked straight-forward questions. The on-site interview is a difficult but manageable. Went through several interviews with lunch in between. Mainly technical questions except for one interview that asked some business-related questions.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Process took 3 weeks, in final interview stage now!
    First interview was basically background check and CV run through.
    Unexpectedly, during that first interview I was asked to talk about my CV in French since I listed it as one of the languages I can speak.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

The interviewers all asked questions that were very similar and these are mainly competency based questions. Not too difficult but it would be worthwhile having a few examples prepared. For example "What has been your biggest challenge at work and how did you overcome it?" and "Tell us about an experience where you made a mistake and how did you handle it and what steps did you put into place to corrected it?"

Vendor Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

3 interviews

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest achievement?
      Give me an example where you had to use negotiating skills?
        Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

The phone is interview was quite straight forward and nothing too difficult. However, the assessment center required to show different skills. I got a very unprofessional and unpleasant interviewer. On top of that they never called to let candidates know about the results. Had to email and call to find out 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Repeating the question 3 times to make you feel uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

After completing a written exercise, I was invited for a telephone interview. The interview wasn't too difficult. There were few questions about my degree and my experience with teamwork.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me when you improved a product, despite you were receiving a positive feedback from customers.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Slough, Buckinghamshire, South East England, England
    Anonymous Employee in Slough, Buckinghamshire, South East England, England

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I arrived at was shoved in the deli for the first of four 45 min interviews. Be prepared to feel like a bit of numnut whilst you are dressed in a suit and everyone else is in dress down. The guy that came to collect me was twenty minutes late, saying that reception hadnt informed him that I was here. The interview consisted of the four interviewers bombarding me with competency based questions designed around their leadership principles. They said to me on numerous occasions - oh it is not a job where you get much recognition and sometimes you will only be spoken to if you get something wrong. Nice. They are not interested in you as a person at all.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers all wanted different examples to questions that were very similar. After the first two interviews - you are naturally bored of answering competency based questions,   Answer Question

I took an alternative position that I was much more suited to.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

A codility online coding test, one phone interview with an engineer and a full day of five interviews with various people from the office. I was also taken to lunch with an engineer not in the interview loop. The difficulty varied from interview to interview but in all cases, the interviewers were professional and courteous.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

I applied on their website in November. Had no response until February, when a recruiter contacted me, sending me a link to a Codility test (which was quite difficult). A week after I submitted the test, the recruiter called me to let me know that I passed the test and that they are inviting me to an onsite interview. The interview was difficult, but straightforward. The interviewer was very nice, and gave me hints when I felt that I was stuck.

Interview Questions
    • The technical problem wasn't something very difficult at first sight, but the trick was finding out the most efficient solution, which involved using tries. This solution was not implementable in 45 minutes, so the interviewer asked me to implement a specific part from the solution. There were very few behavioural questions, and nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online & received interest for a phone interview. This was scheduled, and went well. However, I heard nothing back for a while. It went in circles for ages & I was cc-ed to three different people - it was a mess. The whole process took two months. It wasn't actually HR's fault just the coordination internally.

I also talked to a media recruitment company who told me they stopped working with Amazon in London for this exact same reason. It's disrespectful to people's time & effort they make to apply to a reputable company.

Finally I was schedule for a 3.5 hour interview. There was a 'Jedi Style' interview technique where they hound out one example to try to get faults, and make you stammer. They draw out one example for ages! I had 1 interview in the morning with the Head, then a written test on a TINY HP old laptop. I'm so used to using desktops/MACs this was difficult. They really should invest in a decent laptop for interviews.

Then I had two more interviews which went very well. The problem with Amazon (latest article in Wall Street Journal) is that one interviewer can veto you out. It's not a democratic vote. They're all into identifying 'people who fit into the work culture' as they go on about on their site, but when I tried to get them to define Amazon's work culture no one could give me a clear answer. I was told that people are 'friendly and go to the pub in teams' - what's new about that in London

The best part of my day was having a lunch break & then being told ' Oh there's a new burrito shop that's opened downstairs, and they're giving free burritos you can grab.'

It's the fact that you dress up, get all your written portfolios together, prepare for days on end, memorise leadership principles to every Jeff Bezos interview & they can't offer you lunch.

Amazon is an American company at the end of the day. You go to Facebook/Google in Silicon Valley & the treatment is so much different. It's something so small, but I think crucial in valuing the candidates who make the effort to come to you. It's courtesy to offer a £5 lunch in my opinion.

I honestly and totally regret applying to Amazon. It took me full circle, and although the new office in London is very beautiful, the application process put me off. I don't know who they think they are that they can keep candidates waiting endlessly. Even getting back to me with a final answer - I had to remind them and HR goes ' Oh I did tell them to email you!' - which meant they had forgotten.

I would tell people just not to waste their time, because in the mean time I had already got 3 other job offers with people wanting me, who called me up nicely and enthusiastically - not me chasing like a dog.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell us about an experience where you made a mistake and corrected it"   View Answer