Amazon.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Vendor Manager Interview

Vendor Manager
London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details 3 interviews

Interview Question – What is your biggest achievement?
Give me an example where you had to use negotiating skills?
  Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Interview

Graduate Scheme

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details The phone is interview was quite straight forward and nothing too difficult. However, the assessment center required to show different skills. I got a very unprofessional and unpleasant interviewer. On top of that they never called to let candidates know about the results. Had to email and call to find out 3 weeks later.

Interview Question – Repeating the question 3 times to make you feel uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details After completing a written exercise, I was invited for a telephone interview. The interview wasn't too difficult. There were few questions about my degree and my experience with teamwork.

Interview Question – Tell me when you improved a product, despite you were receiving a positive feedback from customers.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Recruiting Coordinator
Slough, Buckinghamshire, South East England, England

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I arrived at was shoved in the deli for the first of four 45 min interviews. Be prepared to feel like a bit of numnut whilst you are dressed in a suit and everyone else is in dress down. The guy that came to collect me was twenty minutes late, saying that reception hadnt informed him that I was here. The interview consisted of the four interviewers bombarding me with competency based questions designed around their leadership principles. They said to me on numerous occasions - oh it is not a job where you get much recognition and sometimes you will only be spoken to if you get something wrong. Nice. They are not interested in you as a person at all.

Interview Question – The interviewers all wanted different examples to questions that were very similar. After the first two interviews - you are naturally bored of answering competency based questions,   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I took an alternative position that I was much more suited to.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details A codility online coding test, one phone interview with an engineer and a full day of five interviews with various people from the office. I was also taken to lunch with an engineer not in the interview loop. The difficulty varied from interview to interview but in all cases, the interviewers were professional and courteous.

Copywriter Interview

Copywriter
London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Applied online & received interest for a phone interview. This was scheduled, and went well. However, I heard nothing back for a while. It went in circles for ages & I was cc-ed to three different people - it was a mess. The whole process took two months. It wasn't actually HR's fault just the coordination internally.

I also talked to a media recruitment company who told me they stopped working with Amazon in London for this exact same reason. It's disrespectful to people's time & effort they make to apply to a reputable company.

Finally I was schedule for a 3.5 hour interview. There was a 'Jedi Style' interview technique where they hound out one example to try to get faults, and make you stammer. They draw out one example for ages! I had 1 interview in the morning with the Head, then a written test on a TINY HP old laptop. I'm so used to using desktops/MACs this was difficult. They really should invest in a decent laptop for interviews.

Then I had two more interviews which went very well. The problem with Amazon (latest article in Wall Street Journal) is that one interviewer can veto you out. It's not a democratic vote. They're all into identifying 'people who fit into the work culture' as they go on about on their site, but when I tried to get them to define Amazon's work culture no one could give me a clear answer. I was told that people are 'friendly and go to the pub in teams' - what's new about that in London

The best part of my day was having a lunch break & then being told ' Oh there's a new burrito shop that's opened downstairs, and they're giving free burritos you can grab.'

It's the fact that you dress up, get all your written portfolios together, prepare for days on end, memorise leadership principles to every Jeff Bezos interview & they can't offer you lunch.

Amazon is an American company at the end of the day. You go to Facebook/Google in Silicon Valley & the treatment is so much different. It's something so small, but I think crucial in valuing the candidates who make the effort to come to you. It's courtesy to offer a £5 lunch in my opinion.

I honestly and totally regret applying to Amazon. It took me full circle, and although the new office in London is very beautiful, the application process put me off. I don't know who they think they are that they can keep candidates waiting endlessly. Even getting back to me with a final answer - I had to remind them and HR goes ' Oh I did tell them to email you!' - which meant they had forgotten.

I would tell people just not to waste their time, because in the mean time I had already got 3 other job offers with people wanting me, who called me up nicely and enthusiastically - not me chasing like a dog.

Interview Question – "Tell us about an experience where you made a mistake and corrected it"   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Software Development Engineer Intern
London, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied on their website in November. Had no response until February, when a recruiter contacted me, sending me a link to a Codility test (which was quite difficult). A week after I submitted the test, the recruiter called me to let me know that I passed the test and that they are inviting me to an onsite interview. The interview was difficult, but straightforward. The interviewer was very nice, and gave me hints when I felt that I was stuck.

Interview Question – The technical problem wasn't something very difficult at first sight, but the trick was finding out the most efficient solution, which involved using tries. This solution was not implementable in 45 minutes, so the interviewer asked me to implement a specific part from the solution. There were very few behavioural questions, and nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Software Development Engineer Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Recruiter reached out at the end of November asking to schedule 2 back to back interviews which we set up for the next week. Exactly 2 weeks later (almost to the minute) the recruiter replied with an offer. We set up a phone call to discuss the details of the offer a week later and after that I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Interview 1: Started with basic cv chit-chat and discussing projects. Was asked general information (complexity and high level implementation) about data structures you'd expect to find in standard libraries. Continued on to a super simple coding question that was something like reversing a string in place. Then had a longer coding question that was a variant on the subtree sum problem and could be made to run in O(n) time with some preprocessing. Overall not particularly difficult.   Answer Question
  • Interview 2: Like the first interview this one started with basic cv questions and a simple coding question. Then moved onto a longer question that was basically weighted graph search but the edge weights were dynamic. Harder than the first interview but still not too difficult compared to other companies. I'd say about similar in difficulty to google but easier than palantir.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I don't think internship offers are negotiable but in any case the offer was much higher than I'd expected.

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
Edinburgh, Scotland

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

Interview Details focus in the company and its values, be prepared to link your experience to amazon leadership principles, search for amazon FCs on youtube, and contacto people on current positions from linkedin

Interview Question – be prepared to work in a fast pace environment....it is amazing!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – little room for negotiation.....get pieces of advice before heading to it

Account Manager (Amazon Associate) Interview

Account Manager (Amazon Associate)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details 2 phone interviews

I had the first interview with the hiring manager: it was very structured and I was prepared for most of the questions. I really appreciated that the interviewer gave me time at the end for questions (and I had loads), which means that we spent more time than expected. The second interview was with the EU business development manager and the questions were naturally focused on business development. Though it is tough to judge from a person over the phone, I found the interviewer tired (the interview was after 6pm UK time so 7pm EU time) and this reflected in his voice, but what was even more surprising was that he clearly yawned while I was answering to one of his questions. Ok I have not been convincing enough as I did not pass this stage, but I find it truly unrespectful to yawn over the phone while someone is talking to you - he could have at least put the phone away or something.

On the positive note, I think it was a great experience to have a concrete preview of the company's culture, people, interview style etc...

Interview Question – What is the most important thing to recruit a new publisher/client?   View Answer