Amazon.com Interview Questions

5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (London, England).

Interview

Applied online & received interest for a phone interview. This was scheduled, and went well. However, I heard nothing back for a while. It went in circles for ages & I was cc-ed to three different people - it was a mess. The whole process took two months. It wasn't actually HR's fault just the coordination internally.

I also talked to a media recruitment company who told me they stopped working with Amazon in London for this exact same reason. It's disrespectful to people's time & effort they make to apply to a reputable company.

Finally I was schedule for a 3.5 hour interview. There was a 'Jedi Style' interview technique where they hound out one example to try to get faults, and make you stammer. They draw out one example for ages! I had 1 interview in the morning with the Head, then a written test on a TINY HP old laptop. I'm so used to using desktops/MACs this was difficult. They really should invest in a decent laptop for interviews.

Then I had two more interviews which went very well. The problem with Amazon (latest article in Wall Street Journal) is that one interviewer can veto you out. It's not a democratic vote. They're all into identifying 'people who fit into the work culture' as they go on about on their site, but when I tried to get them to define Amazon's work culture no one could give me a clear answer. I was told that people are 'friendly and go to the pub in teams' - what's new about that in London

The best part of my day was having a lunch break & then being told ' Oh there's a new burrito shop that's opened downstairs, and they're giving free burritos you can grab.'

It's the fact that you dress up, get all your written portfolios together, prepare for days on end, memorise leadership principles to every Jeff Bezos interview & they can't offer you lunch.

Amazon is an American company at the end of the day. You go to Facebook/Google in Silicon Valley & the treatment is so much different. It's something so small, but I think crucial in valuing the candidates who make the effort to come to you. It's courtesy to offer a £5 lunch in my opinion.

I honestly and totally regret applying to Amazon. It took me full circle, and although the new office in London is very beautiful, the application process put me off. I don't know who they think they are that they can keep candidates waiting endlessly. Even getting back to me with a final answer - I had to remind them and HR goes ' Oh I did tell them to email you!' - which meant they had forgotten.

I would tell people just not to waste their time, because in the mean time I had already got 3 other job offers with people wanting me, who called me up nicely and enthusiastically - not me chasing like a dog.

Interview Questions

• "Tell us about an experience where you made a mistake and corrected it"   1 Answer

MBA Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview

CV and cover letter submission followed by online maths test (v quick time limit). Two 30 minute interviews in round one and then three interviews in round two. All competence-based questions. Ended without the interviewer really getting to know anything about the interviewee. Interviewers current Amazon employees (not HR).

Interview Questions

• When did you use deep data analysis to solve a problem   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com (London, England) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied on their website in November. Had no response until February, when a recruiter contacted me, sending me a link to a Codility test (which was quite difficult). A week after I submitted the test, the recruiter called me to let me know that I passed the test and that they are inviting me to an onsite interview. The interview was difficult, but straightforward. The interviewer was very nice, and gave me hints when I felt that I was stuck.

Interview Questions

• The technical problem wasn't something very difficult at first sight, but the trick was finding out the most efficient solution, which involved using tries. This solution was not implementable in 45 minutes, so the interviewer asked me to implement a specific part from the solution. There were very few behavioural questions, and nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview

A codility online coding test, one phone interview with an engineer and a full day of five interviews with various people from the office. I was also taken to lunch with an engineer not in the interview loop. The difficulty varied from interview to interview but in all cases, the interviewers were professional and courteous.

Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview

The phone is interview was quite straight forward and nothing too difficult. However, the assessment center required to show different skills. I got a very unprofessional and unpleasant interviewer. On top of that they never called to let candidates know about the results. Had to email and call to find out 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Repeating the question 3 times to make you feel uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com (London, England) in March 2014.

Interview

The interviewers all asked questions that were very similar and these are mainly competency based questions. Not too difficult but it would be worthwhile having a few examples prepared. For example "What has been your biggest challenge at work and how did you overcome it?" and "Tell us about an experience where you made a mistake and how did you handle it and what steps did you put into place to corrected it?"

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com (Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England).

Interview

A competency based interview lasting 5 hours. 5 x 45 minute interviews including a "bar raiser" Told to prepare a number of examples to map against AWS philosophies of previous deep dive work experiences you think might be relevant. Amazon recruitment guidance says keep responses short and timely which in the end seemed to be the last thing they wanted. Deep dive responses required.....details details details was what was required. To be frank this is a very tedious interview process giving the candidate very little back in return in terms of what the job would actually be like if you got it. How you make a calculated decision to work for them is beyond me based on what you might read from their website...very little back in terms of company culture. Interviews need to be a two way street not one way....Whilst this is competency based interview it really does feel like luck if you managed to give relevant examples that might just meet the AWS philosophy of doing things.

Recruiter Interview

Interview

Two phone interviews - second all competency based.

Vendor Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com (London, England) in February 2014.

Interview

3 interviews

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest achievement?
      Give me an example where you had to use negotiating skills?

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview

Invited to Zurich for Recruitment Event. I was contacted over linkedIn. Over there I was interviewed by 5 person from the team I would have joined

Interview Questions

• How would you design a system to distribute compressed data to mobile devices.   1 Answer