Amazon.com Interview Questions & Reviews

3.3

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online & received interest for a phone interview. This was scheduled, and went well. However, I heard nothing back for a while. It went in circles for ages & I was cc-ed to three different people - it was a mess. The whole process took two months. It wasn't actually HR's fault just the coordination internally.

I also talked to a media recruitment company who told me they stopped working with Amazon in London for this exact same reason. It's disrespectful to people's time & effort they make to apply to a reputable company.

Finally I was schedule for a 3.5 hour interview. There was a 'Jedi Style' interview technique where they hound out one example to try to get faults, and make you stammer. They draw out one example for ages! I had 1 interview in the morning with the Head, then a written test on a TINY HP old laptop. I'm so used to using desktops/MACs this was difficult. They really should invest in a decent laptop for interviews.

Then I had two more interviews which went very well. The problem with Amazon (latest article in Wall Street Journal) is that one interviewer can veto you out. It's not a democratic vote. They're all into identifying 'people who fit into the work culture' as they go on about on their site, but when I tried to get them to define Amazon's work culture no one could give me a clear answer. I was told that people are 'friendly and go to the pub in teams' - what's new about that in London

The best part of my day was having a lunch break & then being told ' Oh there's a new burrito shop that's opened downstairs, and they're giving free burritos you can grab.'

It's the fact that you dress up, get all your written portfolios together, prepare for days on end, memorise leadership principles to every Jeff Bezos interview & they can't offer you lunch.

Amazon is an American company at the end of the day. You go to Facebook/Google in Silicon Valley & the treatment is so much different. It's something so small, but I think crucial in valuing the candidates who make the effort to come to you. It's courtesy to offer a £5 lunch in my opinion.

I honestly and totally regret applying to Amazon. It took me full circle, and although the new office in London is very beautiful, the application process put me off. I don't know who they think they are that they can keep candidates waiting endlessly. Even getting back to me with a final answer - I had to remind them and HR goes ' Oh I did tell them to email you!' - which meant they had forgotten.

I would tell people just not to waste their time, because in the mean time I had already got 3 other job offers with people wanting me, who called me up nicely and enthusiastically - not me chasing like a dog.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell us about an experience where you made a mistake and corrected it"   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Recruiter reached out at the end of November asking to schedule 2 back to back interviews which we set up for the next week. Exactly 2 weeks later (almost to the minute) the recruiter replied with an offer. We set up a phone call to discuss the details of the offer a week later and after that I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Interview 1: Started with basic cv chit-chat and discussing projects. Was asked general information (complexity and high level implementation) about data structures you'd expect to find in standard libraries. Continued on to a super simple coding question that was something like reversing a string in place. Then had a longer coding question that was a variant on the subtree sum problem and could be made to run in O(n) time with some preprocessing. Overall not particularly difficult.   Answer Question
    • Interview 2: Like the first interview this one started with basic cv questions and a simple coding question. Then moved onto a longer question that was basically weighted graph search but the edge weights were dynamic. Harder than the first interview but still not too difficult compared to other companies. I'd say about similar in difficulty to google but easier than palantir.   Answer Question
    I don't think internship offers are negotiable but in any case the offer was much higher than I'd expected.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edinburgh, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2013.

focus in the company and its values, be prepared to link your experience to amazon leadership principles, search for amazon FCs on youtube, and contacto people on current positions from linkedin

Interview Questions
    • be prepared to work in a fast pace environment....it is amazing!   Answer Question
    little room for negotiation.....get pieces of advice before heading to it

Account Manager (Amazon Associate) Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Anonymous Employee in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

2 phone interviews

I had the first interview with the hiring manager: it was very structured and I was prepared for most of the questions. I really appreciated that the interviewer gave me time at the end for questions (and I had loads), which means that we spent more time than expected. The second interview was with the EU business development manager and the questions were naturally focused on business development. Though it is tough to judge from a person over the phone, I found the interviewer tired (the interview was after 6pm UK time so 7pm EU time) and this reflected in his voice, but what was even more surprising was that he clearly yawned while I was answering to one of his questions. Ok I have not been convincing enough as I did not pass this stage, but I find it truly unrespectful to yawn over the phone while someone is talking to you - he could have at least put the phone away or something.

On the positive note, I think it was a great experience to have a concrete preview of the company's culture, people, interview style etc...

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important thing to recruit a new publisher/client?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview

Two phone interviews with hr. 5 interviews with people from the office in a row.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Anonymous Employee in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

A competency based interview lasting 5 hours. 5 x 45 minute interviews including a "bar raiser" Told to prepare a number of examples to map against AWS philosophies of previous deep dive work experiences you think might be relevant. Amazon recruitment guidance says keep responses short and timely which in the end seemed to be the last thing they wanted. Deep dive responses required.....details details details was what was required. To be frank this is a very tedious interview process giving the candidate very little back in return in terms of what the job would actually be like if you got it. How you make a calculated decision to work for them is beyond me based on what you might read from their website...very little back in terms of company culture. Interviews need to be a two way street not one way....Whilst this is competency based interview it really does feel like luck if you managed to give relevant examples that might just meet the AWS philosophy of doing things.

Partner Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview 1 - telephone interview with manager. No more than 30 minutes.

Interview 2 - morning of face-to-face interviews at their offices. It consisted of 4 separate one-on-one 30 minute interviews. The questions were highly competency based from various managers in associated departments.

The interviews were very structured and clearly interviewers had a number of boxes to tick. I didn't feel like they got to know my personality very well, and I found the company quite cold as a result.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example where you need to use you disagreed with your manager's decision and hat you did to deal with the situation.   Answer Question

Better counter-offer from current employer

Recruiter Interview

Two phone interviews - second all competency based.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Invited to Zurich for Recruitment Event. I was contacted over linkedIn. Over there I was interviewed by 5 person from the team I would have joined

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a system to distribute compressed data to mobile devices.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Edinburgh, Scotland
    Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

I submitted my resume online, and was contacted two weeks later for an online challenge on codility. There were three questions, which were not difficult. However, it started with the most difficult questions, and I spent over thirty minutes on that and I started to panic cause I only had 90 minutes in total. I solved the first question perfectly, but with the second one, though being easier, I missed some edge cases. The third question was too simple (think of fizz-buzz), but due to my rush, I was so exhausted and I decided to submit the answer anyway (didn't realize my mistake in the second question until late).

Anyway, I thought I failed and wasn't expecting to hear from them anytime soon, but it turned out I did well enough and they moved me to the phone screening round. The first round was very simple - the engineer asked only basic questions and did some small coding. I was told then that they would do another round of phone interview - the questions weren't too difficult, and I stumbled a bit but I think I did very well.

Finally, they moved me forward to the onsite interview. As I'm based in Asia and the team in Edinburgh, they sent me to the Tokyo office and I did the interview with the virtual conferencing room there. The interview questions were standard - I also stumbled a bit but basically I managed fine. I was told of that they decided to extend an offer a week later

Interview Questions
    • One question involve removing a node in a linked list with recursion - I was given a buggy piece of code and was asked to fix it. I was distracted when I mentioned this would not work on a long linked list so I couldn't answer it but the engineer let it go anyway since we were short on time   Answer Question

The offer was really good compared to UK standard. However, I also have other offers from the US with much higher compensation (yes, the number you see on Glassdoor for UK salary is correctly - it's around 40% lower than the US site). Finally, I got a job from a big tech company in Silicon Valley (not the big four though), and the offer was too attractive to turn down. Plus the team their fits my interests better.