Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated 20 Oct 2014
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Recruiter reached out at the end of November asking to schedule 2 back to back interviews which we set up for the next week. Exactly 2 weeks later (almost to the minute) the recruiter replied with an offer. We set up a phone call to discuss the details of the offer a week later and after that I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Interview 1: Started with basic cv chit-chat and discussing projects. Was asked general information (complexity and high level implementation) about data structures you'd expect to find in standard libraries. Continued on to a super simple coding question that was something like reversing a string in place. Then had a longer coding question that was a variant on the subtree sum problem and could be made to run in O(n) time with some preprocessing. Overall not particularly difficult.   Answer Question
    • Interview 2: Like the first interview this one started with basic cv questions and a simple coding question. Then moved onto a longer question that was basically weighted graph search but the edge weights were dynamic. Harder than the first interview but still not too difficult compared to other companies. I'd say about similar in difficulty to google but easier than palantir.   Answer Question
    I don't think internship offers are negotiable but in any case the offer was much higher than I'd expected.

MBA Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

CV and cover letter submission followed by online maths test (v quick time limit). Two 30 minute interviews in round one and then three interviews in round two. All competence-based questions. Ended without the interviewer really getting to know anything about the interviewee. Interviewers current Amazon employees (not HR).

Interview Questions
    • When did you use deep data analysis to solve a problem   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

I applied on their website in November. Had no response until February, when a recruiter contacted me, sending me a link to a Codility test (which was quite difficult). A week after I submitted the test, the recruiter called me to let me know that I passed the test and that they are inviting me to an onsite interview. The interview was difficult, but straightforward. The interviewer was very nice, and gave me hints when I felt that I was stuck.

Interview Questions
    • The technical problem wasn't something very difficult at first sight, but the trick was finding out the most efficient solution, which involved using tries. This solution was not implementable in 45 minutes, so the interviewer asked me to implement a specific part from the solution. There were very few behavioural questions, and nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

A codility online coding test, one phone interview with an engineer and a full day of five interviews with various people from the office. I was also taken to lunch with an engineer not in the interview loop. The difficulty varied from interview to interview but in all cases, the interviewers were professional and courteous.

Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

The phone is interview was quite straight forward and nothing too difficult. However, the assessment center required to show different skills. I got a very unprofessional and unpleasant interviewer. On top of that they never called to let candidates know about the results. Had to email and call to find out 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Repeating the question 3 times to make you feel uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

The interviewers all asked questions that were very similar and these are mainly competency based questions. Not too difficult but it would be worthwhile having a few examples prepared. For example "What has been your biggest challenge at work and how did you overcome it?" and "Tell us about an experience where you made a mistake and how did you handle it and what steps did you put into place to corrected it?"

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

A competency based interview lasting 5 hours. 5 x 45 minute interviews including a "bar raiser" Told to prepare a number of examples to map against AWS philosophies of previous deep dive work experiences you think might be relevant. Amazon recruitment guidance says keep responses short and timely which in the end seemed to be the last thing they wanted. Deep dive responses required.....details details details was what was required. To be frank this is a very tedious interview process giving the candidate very little back in return in terms of what the job would actually be like if you got it. How you make a calculated decision to work for them is beyond me based on what you might read from their website...very little back in terms of company culture. Interviews need to be a two way street not one way....Whilst this is competency based interview it really does feel like luck if you managed to give relevant examples that might just meet the AWS philosophy of doing things.

Recruiter Interview

Two phone interviews - second all competency based.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Invited to Zurich for Recruitment Event. I was contacted over linkedIn. Over there I was interviewed by 5 person from the team I would have joined

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a system to distribute compressed data to mobile devices.   View Answer

Vendor Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

3 interviews

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest achievement?
      Give me an example where you had to use negotiating skills?
        Answer Question