Amazon.com

5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Received phone calls to arrange phone interviews. Both phone interviews were based on Amazon's 14 principles of leadership values. Interviewers were very pleasant, encouraging, willing to listen but only moved on to the next question when they had a clear answer and understanding of what you said and the context in which it was said. Expect them to drill down for details to verify what you say. The face to face interview is challenging with 4 interviews of approx 45 minutes each and will include a competency test so expect to brush up on process flow equations. It's not only important to know your stuff but also to be able to quickly work with variances to the original problem (they will change the original question to check that you can recalculate accurately).

Interview Questions
    • How would you resolve a conflict between two very talented managers without causing offence to either and ensuring a win-win situation for all?   Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Phone Interview - Simple and Easy.
    Online Test - Simple and Easy (if you have done these types of tests previously).
    Assessment Centre - More difficult, but still totally manageable if you have done this type of thing before.

Overall, the experience was quite enjoyable and no more stressful or difficult than your average interview process.

E-Commerce Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

Interview process at Amazon typically involves a number of telephone interviews, one or two online assessments, followed by an on-site loop focusing on competency-based questions where the interviewer is looking for detailed examples of projects you've worked on previously, with a view to identifying whether or not you behave in a way that is consistent with the Amazon leadership principles.

Interview Questions
    • People say the simplest solution is often the best. Can you give me an example of a time where you solved a complex problem with a simple solution?   Answer Question
    Internal offer; no negotiation possible

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Phone interview was included mostly high-level questions. Interviewer was pleasant and asked straight-forward questions. The on-site interview is a difficult but manageable. Went through several interviews with lunch in between. Mainly technical questions except for one interview that asked some business-related questions.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Process took 3 weeks, in final interview stage now!
    First interview was basically background check and CV run through.
    Unexpectedly, during that first interview I was asked to talk about my CV in French since I listed it as one of the languages I can speak.

Associate Partner Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

There were 4 separate interviews with 4 interviewers (as explained in email).

The structure of each is competency questions first then a case study. The formers are the usual questions, nothing too surprising whereas the latter is, imo, what determines who gets hired. I think they are looking for people who are especially analytical. One of the questions was something like what data would you use if Amazon were to add a new category.

Interview Questions
    • Out of all of the below sellers which one would you choose to promote (be the recommended seller)   Answer Question

Associate Partner Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

1. CV/cover letter. 2. SHL numerical/verbal. 3. Telephone interview - 30 minute CV questions and 2 competencies, then 15 minute role play. Felt I did quite badly, but still progressed. Just prepare by looking on the website for the information you need, and anticipate problems. Two competencies were really in depth.

4. 4 back to back 45 minute interviews. 30 minutes competencies and 15 minutes role play. Honestly, the role play is REALLY easy. I only "messed up" by not completely clarifying my position on one of them - e.g. pick one because lower price point, may increase competition, influence dominant seller to reduce prices further etc, and misreading a column on one, which I was then corrected on. Take away - there is a right answer for each one imo even thought you're told there isn't. And it's easy, so just prepare by understanding each of the services offered.

The competencies I think are really based on their leadership principles. When have you made a mistake, improved processes in a team etc. I looked on glassdoor beforehand and saw someone say this, but I prepared more for competencies for the role, rather than leadership principles.

The HR at Amazon are the best and most efficient I have come across interviewing for companies. You get news on every stage each day. Apply, next day invite for tests, next day, invite for interview etc. AND although I didn't get an offer in the end, someone had the balls to call me up and give me feedback, which I really appreciate.

Feedback was good on most of it, good on customer obsession and very analytical, but they felt I didn't go into depth enough with some of the competencies and also weren't sure I was motivated enough for the role (which is odd because I really was!)

My opinion was that actually one of the interviewers didn't like me much, or rather wasn't completely happy with my competencies. I actually think the other 3 liked me. Possibly it was 50/50 for one of them, but I'm pretty sure one of them vetoed my app. The interviewers were all really good, and pushed you for answers; sometimes deliberately aggressively, I think to test how you act under pressure/deal with objections.

I have to say though the competency questions are ridiculous, and all they do is encourage liars. These so called competency based questions, are largely regarded as useless, when considering if someone is either competent or fits in with the organisations culture. I actually do think I was a good candidate and would have been a good fit, but I agree with the feedback that I wasn't exactly great with the competencies, despite the fact I had good and relevant experience. I have gotten through on competency based interviews before, and I've gotten offers on how confidently I can embellish past experiences to the point of near deception - and I'm someone with years of work experience, so I hate to think what the average fresh out of uni grad is doing!

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer who didn't like me was probing one of my competencies, asking me silly questions about how I handle things in my role I have nothing to do with...and wouldn't accept that it wasn't part of my role at all...which was odd...!   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

After completing a written exercise, I was invited for a telephone interview. The interview wasn't too difficult. There were few questions about my degree and my experience with teamwork.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me when you improved a product, despite you were receiving a positive feedback from customers.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Buckinghamshire, South East England, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I arrived at was shoved in the deli for the first of four 45 min interviews. Be prepared to feel like a bit of numnut whilst you are dressed in a suit and everyone else is in dress down. The guy that came to collect me was twenty minutes late, saying that reception hadnt informed him that I was here. The interview consisted of the four interviewers bombarding me with competency based questions designed around their leadership principles. They said to me on numerous occasions - oh it is not a job where you get much recognition and sometimes you will only be spoken to if you get something wrong. Nice. They are not interested in you as a person at all.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers all wanted different examples to questions that were very similar. After the first two interviews - you are naturally bored of answering competency based questions,   Answer Question

I took an alternative position that I was much more suited to.

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied online & received interest for a phone interview. This was scheduled, and went well. However, I heard nothing back for a while. It went in circles for ages & I was cc-ed to three different people - it was a mess. The whole process took two months. It wasn't actually HR's fault just the coordination internally.

I also talked to a media recruitment company who told me they stopped working with Amazon in London for this exact same reason. It's disrespectful to people's time & effort they make to apply to a reputable company.

Finally I was schedule for a 3.5 hour interview. There was a 'Jedi Style' interview technique where they hound out one example to try to get faults, and make you stammer. They draw out one example for ages! I had 1 interview in the morning with the Head, then a written test on a TINY HP old laptop. I'm so used to using desktops/MACs this was difficult. They really should invest in a decent laptop for interviews.

Then I had two more interviews which went very well. The problem with Amazon (latest article in Wall Street Journal) is that one interviewer can veto you out. It's not a democratic vote. They're all into identifying 'people who fit into the work culture' as they go on about on their site, but when I tried to get them to define Amazon's work culture no one could give me a clear answer. I was told that people are 'friendly and go to the pub in teams' - what's new about that in London

The best part of my day was having a lunch break & then being told ' Oh there's a new burrito shop that's opened downstairs, and they're giving free burritos you can grab.'

It's the fact that you dress up, get all your written portfolios together, prepare for days on end, memorise leadership principles to every Jeff Bezos interview & they can't offer you lunch.

Amazon is an American company at the end of the day. You go to Facebook/Google in Silicon Valley & the treatment is so much different. It's something so small, but I think crucial in valuing the candidates who make the effort to come to you. It's courtesy to offer a £5 lunch in my opinion.

I honestly and totally regret applying to Amazon. It took me full circle, and although the new office in London is very beautiful, the application process put me off. I don't know who they think they are that they can keep candidates waiting endlessly. Even getting back to me with a final answer - I had to remind them and HR goes ' Oh I did tell them to email you!' - which meant they had forgotten.

I would tell people just not to waste their time, because in the mean time I had already got 3 other job offers with people wanting me, who called me up nicely and enthusiastically - not me chasing like a dog.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell us about an experience where you made a mistake and corrected it"   View Answer