Amazon.com

5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Vendor Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

3 interviews

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest achievement?
      Give me an example where you had to use negotiating skills?

Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Vigorous; 4 phone interviews and a 5 hour in-person (no breaks)

Interview Questions
    • Nothing; several situation/behavioural psych questions   Answer Question

Account Manager (Amazon Associate) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

2 phone interviews

I had the first interview with the hiring manager: it was very structured and I was prepared for most of the questions. I really appreciated that the interviewer gave me time at the end for questions (and I had loads), which means that we spent more time than expected. The second interview was with the EU business development manager and the questions were naturally focused on business development. Though it is tough to judge from a person over the phone, I found the interviewer tired (the interview was after 6pm UK time so 7pm EU time) and this reflected in his voice, but what was even more surprising was that he clearly yawned while I was answering to one of his questions. Ok I have not been convincing enough as I did not pass this stage, but I find it truly unrespectful to yawn over the phone while someone is talking to you - he could have at least put the phone away or something.

On the positive note, I think it was a great experience to have a concrete preview of the company's culture, people, interview style etc...

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important thing to recruit a new publisher/client?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer I/II/II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Two telephone interviews (coding and behavioural questions) and then on site interview with 5 different people (coding, behavioural, leadership, architecture, OO design questions)

Interview Questions
    • Convert a number to a currency string: 1234,45 -> one thousand two hundred thirty four dollars and forty five cents   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

I submitted my resume online, and was contacted two weeks later for an online challenge on codility. There were three questions, which were not difficult. However, it started with the most difficult questions, and I spent over thirty minutes on that and I started to panic cause I only had 90 minutes in total. I solved the first question perfectly, but with the second one, though being easier, I missed some edge cases. The third question was too simple (think of fizz-buzz), but due to my rush, I was so exhausted and I decided to submit the answer anyway (didn't realize my mistake in the second question until late).

Anyway, I thought I failed and wasn't expecting to hear from them anytime soon, but it turned out I did well enough and they moved me to the phone screening round. The first round was very simple - the engineer asked only basic questions and did some small coding. I was told then that they would do another round of phone interview - the questions weren't too difficult, and I stumbled a bit but I think I did very well.

Finally, they moved me forward to the onsite interview. As I'm based in Asia and the team in Edinburgh, they sent me to the Tokyo office and I did the interview with the virtual conferencing room there. The interview questions were standard - I also stumbled a bit but basically I managed fine. I was told of that they decided to extend an offer a week later

Interview Questions
    • One question involve removing a node in a linked list with recursion - I was given a buggy piece of code and was asked to fix it. I was distracted when I mentioned this would not work on a long linked list so I couldn't answer it but the engineer let it go anyway since we were short on time   Answer Question

The offer was really good compared to UK standard. However, I also have other offers from the US with much higher compensation (yes, the number you see on Glassdoor for UK salary is correctly - it's around 40% lower than the US site). Finally, I got a job from a big tech company in Silicon Valley (not the big four though), and the offer was too attractive to turn down. Plus the team their fits my interests better.

Graduate Finance Interview

CV
    Telephone Interview
    In-person interview
    Assessment Day

Finance Manager Interview

Lots of short interviews with structured questions based on when you have demonstrated behaviours outlined in their management principles

Interview Questions
    • All pretty reasonable if you check up on the principles first   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Was invited for a telephone interview after being referred by an employee. The 45-min interview was largely competency based and it seemed the interviewer was given a long form to fill out within the time rather than conduct a conversation. The interviewer fired a torrid of questions without caring to dwell on the responses.

Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Was sent a coding test with a question whereafter I was invited to come down to the London Development center for a on-site interview. The interview started directly with a whiteboard coding question involving a game (whose name I've forgotten sorry), after that there was a bit time for standard competency questions. It took one hour in total. Afterwards we were given a tour of the office. There was two interviewers who both had their nose down their laptop for the majority of the interview typing away notes (i presume) which was a bit of a distraction.

Internet Fraud Investigator (German) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

The process took about two month and was done in 3 stages.
    1. A preliminary phone interview which took about 10-15 minutes. The recruiter talkes a little bit about the job and asked if I am still interested in it. During this interview a second interview was scheduled with one of the department heads.
    2. Again a phone interview which lasted a little bit longer maybe about 30 minutes. He mainly wanted me to tell him about a time when I had to do this or that or when I was faced with a difficult situation etc.
    3. The final interview took place in London and it took a few hours. First a presentation on the company and the department in particular was given which was followed by a small test. One part of it was to write an Email in German and in English to a fake customer whose account was being deleted. The test took about 45 minutes. After this I was interviewed by three different people from the department. Questions were again mainly focused on situations I was in and how I handled them.

Interview Questions
    • They give you a preliminary idea of what kind of questions will be asked. So I did not had any surprising questions. Like I mentioned before a lot of them asked me to tell them about a time when I ,e.g. had a difficult situation with a customer and how I solved it. Another one was if there was ever a time where I had started a project and someonelse came by and told me to do it differently and how I handled this particular situation.   Answer Question