Amazon.com

5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

The interview process goes - 1) cv & cover letter 2) quick phone interview - why the job / why us. 3) longer phone interview -competency & role play. 4) online numerical & verbal tests 5) finally is an in house assessment day - this consists of 5 interviews and 4 case studies

Each interview on the assessment day will last 45 mins with the case studies lasting 15 mins

Whole process lasts about 2-3 weeks

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, they just tell you what you're going to get paid. Its well above the average.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Buckinghamshire, South East England, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

A recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn and suggested I put in an application for a job listed on their site. I did so and in a few days received an invite to take an online pre-test. After reading about some of the other marketing interviews, I made sure to brush up on PMP ideas and Amazon's marketing principles. I signed in to Kinexa (the test taking service) and the test was all high level, multi-step business math (net yearly profit, percentage of gross, etc. - not analytics, marketing probability, etc.)! I do think the ability to deal with intricate math problems is important in any management job, but I truly cannot imagine how any of the problems presented in this test were relevant at all to the position. It was a twenty minute timed test, with twenty questions, I got through about half of them. I think I did quite well for something so unexpected, but was not put forward for a phone interview.

After being so confounded by the test and reading the reviews for the Slough office, I'm pretty happy to not have to choose between a great resume builder or what sounds like a terrible work environment.

Interview Questions
    • Using the supplied graph, how much of X company's net profits came from the engineering department in 2004?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

applied on the end of September 2013, Got screening call on the mid of October, got telephone interview after several days. need to answer competency questions and carry on a role play as a account executive

Interview Questions
    • what do you analysis skill you used in SPSS when you carried on the research?   Answer Question

Online Content and Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied online through their career website.
    I received an email from one of their recruiters saying I needed to complete an online copyedit test, designed to measure my attention to detail, spelling, grammar and copyedit skills. The test lasted 30 minutes: some questions were very easy for a foreigner (they were meant to spot the most common mistakes for the mothertongue) whereas for some others I just didn't have a clue and went with what sounded most right ("here are 5 sentences, choose the wrong one" or "choose the right one" or "choose the only two that aren't wrong").
    I didn't hear from them for 10 days and I had forgotten about the test when I received another email from the same recruiter to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was with a site merchandiser and after the classic questions "why do you want to work here" "why are you leaving your job" we got on to two behavioural (situation-based) questions. There's no right or wrong answer here, they just want to know how you think, feel, behave, react in face of praise/mistakes/adversity/challenge and so on. But you can't invent an answer right then and there because they will ask you very detailed questions about the example you are providing - I even had to remember some figures about the situation I was telling them about. The interview lasted 45 minutes.
    The day after my first interview I got another email from another recruiter, saying they wanted to move forward to a second interview - which happened with a senior vendor manager of the company. The questions here were the same type as the first interview and this one also lasted 45 minutes.
    It was the end of july and I didn't hear from them until the last week of August, when an email invited me to fly out to their headquarters in Slough to have a series of 4 final interviews. We arranged the interview day for three weeks later - as they were not gonna pay for my flight I needed to get the cheapest fare possible, but they were flexible enough with times and dates.
    My interview schedule for the morning was precisely outline before I flew out - I had to have three interviews and a "promotions exercise" in a row, with roughly 30 mins for lunch in their cafeteria (which they provided vouchers for).
    The interviews were exactly the same as on the phone - behavioural questions all over the place. The first interviewer told me they were going to ask me maybe a lot of questions but they were all looking at my answers from a different angle so I needed not worry if I answered with the same example two or even three times.
    But 3 interviews in a row is a massacre and by the end of the last interview I was very tired of answering questions in such precise detail.
    The promotions exercise: they provided me a spreadsheet with 200 of their products with indication of price, cost, stock, sales, pageviews and I had to choose 2 promotions for 10 products with 2 lead products and I had to explain what my assumptions were, how I would market the promotions, where on the website, which targets and so on. All this in 45 minutes and I bet they even expected a small presentation, but I didn't get to it. The manager then asked me questions about it till the hour was up.
    After 48 hours they called me and said I didn't pass the final round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you put customers need before your company's
      Tell me about a situation when you discovered a problem and what you did to solve it
      Tell me an example of when you received a negative feedback and did not agree with it

Answer Question

Software Developer Engineer In Tests Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Contacted by a talent sourcer who found my profile in LinkedIn.

I had 4 phone interviews including 2 technical phone screeners.
    Then I was invited to London for 5 face to face interviews.

phone coding questions :
    1 - Write a function that takes an integer N and returns the Nth number of a Fibonacci suite.
    2 - Given a list of Integer. Write a function that takes an integer and returns all the pair of integers included in the given list that sum up with this integer.

Face to face coding questions :
    1 - Write a function that takes an integer and return a string of this integer in Roman number format.
    2 - Go game. Write a function that takes a position (x,y) in a go game graph and returns a boolean telling if this position contains a white or black piece and if this piece is trapped or not.

On each question I was asked to write the tests for my code.

The recruiter gave me a complete feedback for all the interviews and the whole process, so this experience was very positive and I could know that I was very close to get an offer as some interviewers were very positive (they found I had "excellent testing skills").

There was a huge gap between the phone questions and the face to face questions (Especially the go game question) : for the go game question, the time was really short (< 30mn), I could draw the main algorithm and show that with few minutes more, I could get to a smart working code (recurrent call on each neighbors), but the interviewer expected me to go directly to the solution, he was very nervous and not helpful….

I am still wondering why they did quite easy questions on the phoning interviews, invited me to london to ask very difficult questions (almost impossible without knowing the solution by heart), it would probably be more economic to switch (difficult questions on the phone….).
    It seems that it's depending on the interviewers, so luck as an important role (as interviewers can be more or less cool).

However, it was a very interesting experience and I'm very grateful to amazon and my recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function that takes a position (x,y) in a go game graph and returns a boolean telling if this position contains a white or black piece and if this piece is trapped or not.   View Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

1st Rd - 45 min telephone interview with General Manager from one of the Warehouses. The interview process is very scripted with the interviewers seemingly unable to work beyond the guidelines in front of them. All questions based on Amazon's 14 principles of leadership.

2nd Rd - 4x 45 min interviews followed by tour of warehouse. Much the same as last time. Had to write a short essay before the interview. Then this was not referred to in the process at all other than to give examples not related to essay.

Comments: Understand that you are applying to work in a warehouse and ensure that the customer gets their delivery on time. Yet you must be enthusiastic about it! The actual process was completely random. It took them over 7 weeks to get back asking me for the 2nd round which I could not make. IT then took then a further 7 weeks to find an alternative date. Some friends had a 3rd round before being offered a job others did not. Some had a choice of location but others did not. There is no discussion about this. I have been appalled by Amazon's lack of professionalism in the recruiting process.

Interview Questions
    • The questions focussed on the 14 principles of leadership so if you prepare examples for each of these there will not be a question that you can not answer relatively easily. But prepare more than 2 if you can as in the 2nd round you may need it to keep the interview fresh. Amazon is all about data and metrics. Show you are comfortable with these.   Answer Question

Realised as went through the interview process that this is not what I was seeking in a career. All my exposure to the operations pathways was around managing warehouses despite Amazon's claim it is about building the next generation of Amazon leadership this was not evident in the process. In addition, from my experience through the interview process displayed a dichotomy between what they say they do and what they actually do.

Strategic Partnerships Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

I was approached by a recruitment consultant initially had a phone interview with her, followed by math and logic tests, a phone interview with head of department and another phone interview with the European lead. I was then told that there will be another 5-7 face-to-face interviews. I waited for over two months for the next interview date and finally withdraw my application.

The two interviews I had were quite uninspiring and unenthusiastic. Both gentlemen talked about Amazon's growth and the huge opportunities but sighed whilst talking about big publishers and their challenges.

I also asked if they could clarify their interview process as I was close to receiving offers from a couple of other companies. My interviewers response was that they didn't really had a fix process and they were not going to rush or speed up the process for my sake. As preferred to take their time and have choices for the position rather than going with the first good person they come across.

Interview Questions
    • What do I see as the main challenges of the role? Have I ever dealt with difficult clients? Not really difficult.   Answer Question

Partner Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

Interview 1 - telephone interview with manager. No more than 30 minutes.

Interview 2 - morning of face-to-face interviews at their offices. It consisted of 4 separate one-on-one 30 minute interviews. The questions were highly competency based from various managers in associated departments.

The interviews were very structured and clearly interviewers had a number of boxes to tick. I didn't feel like they got to know my personality very well, and I found the company quite cold as a result.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example where you need to use you disagreed with your manager's decision and hat you did to deal with the situation.   Answer Question

Better counter-offer from current employer

Operations Pathways Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com in September 2013.

2 rounds of 2 interviews. It was done on campus and it goes quickly.
    Most of the questions are behavioral such as : Tell a time when you showed leadership? When were you innovative? It is a string of questions for which your responses have to be aligned with the 10 leadership principles

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you developed an analytic tool to resolve a problem   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Scouted by technical sourcer on Linkedin. Codility test to pass stage 1.

Interview Questions
    • Question - Count all lists of adjacent nodes stored in an array   Answer Question