Amazon.com

Getting the Interview

44 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details Was sent a coding test with a question whereafter I was invited to come down to the London Development center for a on-site interview. The interview started directly with a whiteboard coding question involving a game (whose name I've forgotten sorry), after that there was a bit time for standard competency questions. It took one hour in total. Afterwards we were given a tour of the office. There was two interviewers who both had their nose down their laptop for the majority of the interview typing away notes (i presume) which was a bit of a distraction.

Interview Question – Writing code on a whiteboard is a bit of a challenge.   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2013.

Interview Details I applied on internet.
A few days after, they sent me a program to write.
The program was not very difficult. But what they wanted was a program which could be very fast with a huge amounts of data.
The program:
I had a file representing a binary tree. In the file, it was coded like that:
B,C
NULL,B
C,A
...
Null meant that B was the main uppest node.
Then, C was the son of B and A the son of C.
The program took a depth and the file in input and should give the node which were at this depth in alphabetical order.

After that, I received a notification to go in London.
I was in front of two ingeneers of Amazon and it was technical questions.
The question was not difficult but I misunderstood the question bacause of my english and so I lost a lot of time.

Interview Question – The question was to fin the number of time an array was schifted.
For example:
[1 2 3 4 5 ] is 0 because it is in order
[7 5 6] is 1 because it should be [5 6 7]
[7 8 9 2] is 1 too.
  View Answer

Software Development Intern Interview

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details applied in career fair
Normal process

Interview Question – Asked two questions
1. sort using sliding window
2. binary search functional program
  Answer Question

Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Just had one phone interview. was about create all the strings of balanced parenthesis

Interview Question – Java questions   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Very good interview process, co-operative team who always keeps students updated.

Interview Question – Amazon graph question   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details I applied online in Jan 2014. Received an email from recruiter about setting up two phone interviews, each of 45 minute length. The recruiter was supposed to send me a follow up email about which areas the questions will cover etc. but it was sent after the first interview started.
The interviews were back to back with 15 minute break between them.

The questions were purely technical and only one of the interviewers asked about why I would like to work in Amazon, I think it was more to do with starting a conversation than taking any notes from my answers.

Both interviewers for the first 10 minutes asked questions on some basic algorithms, their complexities and Maps etc.

Interview Question – The questions were something on the lines of,
- Given a tree, output levelwise nodes (Ans: It was actually the BFS algorithm, but I didn't realize it at that time)
- Find first unique substring (In O(n)) (Ans: Use counting sort variant)
- Convert an array into balanced binary search tree (Ans: First sort the array, then use recursive algorithm after splitting the array at mid, and using the mid as a node)
- From two arrays N and M find the combinations that add up to say X (Ans: I was drained by the time second interview started, so the only answer I came up with was of O(n2) complexity i.e. using two FOR loops)
  Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details Got referred to Amazon by a relative. They got back to me a week later and I got 2 back to back 1 hour interviews. Problems were not that hard to average difficulty, but I didn't do well.

Interview Question – Given a list of numbers, in which every number occurs an even number of times except one number, which occurs an odd number of times, return the value of the odd number. Question should be done with a hash map but I used a n log n solution.   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in October 2013.

Interview Details Phone Interview. 2 back to back interviews of 45 minutes.

Interview Question – All the basic questions and couple of coding assignment over collabedit, asked to design a data stucture to represent a game environment and then for a dictionary.   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied mid-Jan. Got an email invitation for a phone interview one week from applying. Standard two back-to-back interviews, 45 minutes each.
Both interviews started out with basic data structures question and moved on to coding for the last 20 minutes. Questions ranged from Queues vs Stacks, Time complexities to perform all sorts of operations on Graph structures to what data structure to use given a particular situation.
Coding problems were easy (Merge two linked lists) but I screwed up the syntax a bit.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, really. Tricky in a way maybe, if you miss a detail, but if you are alert, you will sail through.   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details two back-to-back 45min interview. They asked me four questions in total. Not so difficult but I didn't answer it well, I mean, using the best way.

Interview Question – The question is common to see but you should prepare it well before the interview.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com Software Developer Intern interview questions and advice. All 44 interview reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees and interview candidates.