Amazon.com Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Updated 22 Jun 2014

3.2

205 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Recruiter reached out at the end of November asking to schedule 2 back to back interviews which we set up for the next week. Exactly 2 weeks later (almost to the minute) the recruiter replied with an offer. We set up a phone call to discuss the details of the offer a week later and after that I accepted.

Interview Questions
  • Interview 1: Started with basic cv chit-chat and discussing projects. Was asked general information (complexity and high level implementation) about data structures you'd expect to find in standard libraries. Continued on to a super simple coding question that was something like reversing a string in place. Then had a longer coding question that was a variant on the subtree sum problem and could be made to run in O(n) time with some preprocessing. Overall not particularly difficult.   Answer Question
  • Interview 2: Like the first interview this one started with basic cv questions and a simple coding question. Then moved onto a longer question that was basically weighted graph search but the edge weights were dynamic. Harder than the first interview but still not too difficult compared to other companies. I'd say about similar in difficulty to google but easier than palantir.   Answer Question
I don't think internship offers are negotiable but in any case the offer was much higher than I'd expected.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

I applied on their website in November. Had no response until February, when a recruiter contacted me, sending me a link to a Codility test (which was quite difficult). A week after I submitted the test, the recruiter called me to let me know that I passed the test and that they are inviting me to an onsite interview. The interview was difficult, but straightforward. The interviewer was very nice, and gave me hints when I felt that I was stuck.

Interview Questions
    • The technical problem wasn't something very difficult at first sight, but the trick was finding out the most efficient solution, which involved using tries. This solution was not implementable in 45 minutes, so the interviewer asked me to implement a specific part from the solution. There were very few behavioural questions, and nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

The entire process was very enjoyable for me. Before the interview, I was informed on the topics they would ask so I could better prepare myself for it. I had back-to-back interviews with 45 minutes each. The interview didn't delve too much into my past experience and just went straight to the technical questions. I answered 2 questions for each interview. The questions were about data structures and algorithms, if you know the Cracking book pretty well then it should be no problem. The interviewers were nice and guided me with the right directions to answer the questions. I was given an offer a week later and was provided with very detailed information about the internship. Overall it was a very positive interviewing experience for me.

Interview Questions
    • Very expected questions. For every question, you are expected to explain your approach, step through conceptually, and then write the code, step through the code, and clean up the code. Although questions are not the most difficult, you need to be very accurate and precise with your thought process and code.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I had two or three phone interviews and went to the local office that was hiring to do a four hour in-person interview. Phone interviews consisted of technical questions and in-person interview consisted of technical and personal questions.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Applied online in January 2014 and received a call to set up an interview within a week. I had two 45 mins technical interviews. I was asked to code on a shared editor to solve some simple problems. Nothing unexpected, questions were like the ones that everyone comes across in technical interviews.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I had a contact in the company. The person forwarded my resume to his manager and a few days later HR person contacted me for schedules. Two phone interviews were scheduled. Each was 1 hour. One interviewer told me that the company would invite me for on-site if I did well on the phone interviews, but I screwed the interviews up. :(

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to give a scalable system design of Amazon.com's order number generation service.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied on college job site. Received an email to pick a date to have two 45 minute interviews at my college career center. First interview had a pretty common question. Second interview was more difficult, not types of question you would see in Cracking the Coding Interview. Overall, the interview was fair. Just practice writing out code on paper or a whiteboard if you have a face-to-face interview and brush up on basic algorithms! I interviewed on Thursday and received an email with offer on Monday.

No negotiation for interns

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied twice, once in early October and once in late October, and I talked to them at a career fair in between those two dates. I did not get an email until the night of December 3rd, which invited me to interview on December 5th. Usually companies will invite you to choose a specific date that fit your schedule so I found it a little rude for them to schedule an interview less than 48 hours away. Luckily I was free at that time, but I did not have a positive image of the process. The two interviews were going to be back to back 45 min phone interviews that started on the hour, so 15 min break in between.

Interview Questions
    • write a function that takes in an int and returns a string that would be how one would say that number (ex: 123 -> one hundred twenty three; 50019 -> five thousand nineteen).   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Submitted resume online, got contacted in a around a month and was asked to a phone interview within a couple days. Completed two phone interviews, thought they went well, but was contacted nearly two weeks later that I was not accepted.

Interview Questions
    • An optimal algorithm to check whether a hand of cards was a full house (in Poker) or not.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Applied at school job fair as well as online. Received an email asking for a response and was scheduled to do an interview the next day. Two 45 min interviews on campus. Asked me a few behavioral questions based off my programming projects. Interviewers were very friendly and I had a good time talking to them.

Interview Questions
    • First question was to find all numbers that occurred an odd-number of times in an array and second question was implement a stack that could return the largest number in the stack at anytime.   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!