Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
89 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I had two 45 minute interview. Both of them were very technical and asked me multiple technical questions. I received the job offer around 10 days later.

Interview Question – How would you find the second largest integer in an unsorted array? Write the code.   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details first interview : I was asked about software design patterns, then came a question on algorithm before one on data-structures. I wasn't expecting being asked about design patterns.

Interview Question – You have an array of unsorted integer, and a target value X. Design an algorithm to tell if two numbers of this array could be added together to obtain X.
You have one byte of data, find some ways to get the complement of this byte.
  Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online through their website, and was contacted a few weeks after asking for an interview time. There were two interviews of about 45 minutes each, with engineers from different teams. They called at the exact time scheduled and were extremely polite.

The interviews themselves consisted of the following:
1) A few minutes talking about myself, and some of the items on my resume.
2) Questions about how I would go about solving problems relating to data structures and algorithms.
- One of the problems was "How would you implement a stack within a queue?"
3) A programming problem where they would have a pre-written question and they would watch as I solved it.

Unfortunately, I was unprepared for the interview, and thus was not able to answer the questions quickly and efficiently. They really want to know that you know the efficiency of the things you write.

Interview Question – Reverse a linked list (sorting doesn't matter)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details Got an interview call by email with 2 time slots after 4 days. Had to select 1 of them.
2 back to back phone interviews. Each interviewer asked 2 questions each.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty simple but I took time to answer.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details The interviewer will ask you the basic data structure such as hash table. Therefore, you should master hash table. The first coding question is get out of the maze. You could simply use DFS to solve it. The second coding question is compress string which is the same question in Cracking the coding interview.

Interview Question – One of the interviewer ask me tell me about your favorite project. He required that this project should be simply for yourself rather than research or courses. It is a really hard question, because most of my project are course projects.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details phone interview, including few questions about your work history, the rest are mostly technical questions. The first phone interview questions are kind easy. Second round questions are Data Structure, Algorithm related. Questions are not difficult, normally ask you how to optimize the algorithm. People are nice.

Interview Question – Find an alternative way to optimize the algorithm.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details I managed to get an on-campus interview by emailing the university recruiting coordinator. Signed up for a time, interviewed with two people on the on-campus interview rooms.

Interview Question – None were rather difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2014.

Interview Details I submitted my resume in the college career fair. I got an interview call after 3 months.

Interview Question – I had 2 back to back technical interviews
Question1: Find two numbers in an unsorted array that equal to a given sum
Question2: Find the first unique character in a string
  Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

Interview Details Send resume on campus career fair.
Got another invitation in Mid Feb.

Two back-to-back 45 mins phone interview.
Nothing really unexpected or difficult.
Being asked about Hash table, how to deal with collision, OOP, stack/queue concept and giving examples in real practice. Pay attention to Time complexity for the algorithm.

Interview Question – Nothing really unexpected. Simple OOP concept. It's not like "design a class for elevator" stuff that complex.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details On campus, talked to 2 different interviewers for 45 minutes each

Interview Question – Ask me to implement a BFS for a social network   View Answer

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!