American Automobile Association (AAA) Interview Questions

Updated 23 Jun 2015

2.8

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Automobile Association (AAA).

Interview

Let me begin by saying I've interviewed for this position several times, and have progressed through many different stages of the process, including the final one on multiple occasions.
    This company has no idea how to intelligently assess a person's capabilities.

It begins with an online skill exam. It's not hard but there’s a time limit that runs out before you can finish. I've passed it every time with a high score. (I know because one recruiter told me during our screening) Note also, each individual exam won't expire for 6 months, meaning you don't have to take the same tests over as you continue to apply like I have.

If you pass. there’s a phone screen. It’s mostly situation based questions with a few more personal questions, this is the only pleasant part of the process; recruiters I've screened with have been nice.

Depending on the recruiter or office, you come in for an interview with the recruiter, the hiring manager, an entire panel, a group-like interview, or go to a hiring fair. I've done all of these.

At this final stage, they only ask you situation based questions. Pick a story about your previous work experience, or make one up. It has to be entertaining but demonstrate ability to be the perfect claim rep. It's the S.T.A.R. behavioral based interview method. Anyone who's been on the job hunt for a while is more than familiar with it.

You won't get chances to share research you've done, or interests with the company. There is no opportunity to share goals, career aspirations, or opinions.No open ended questions or convo allowing you to express yourself and stand out.

It is a storytelling contest. They believe everything they need to know about what you can bring to the company in terms of skill and culture, can be summed up by your ability to recall the events of how you handled a prior work experience. If John Doe is also interviewing but his story includes a great white shark or Gawd knows what and they like it better, it literally doesn't matter that you have years of intense customer service experience, that you received a very high score on the test, or that you have terrific references. It all ends with this method for them.

The "hiring fair". They gathered handfuls of managers from different branches and invited 30 or so candidates to their LA location (on the day USC graduated, thanks a lot) There were tables of food and everyone wore name tags (except me because the recruiter forgot after personally inviting me to the fair when we had our face to face interview a week earlier lol, I'm not making this up).

It begins with an hour long presentation of the company & the job.

This is ridiculous to me; at the final stage of the interview, not only should qualified candidates know the essentials, but they shouldn't be forced to endure an HR intro-to-the-company presentation if they don't have the job yet. This was my 4th time making this phase of consideration, I already knew all there was to know. Yet, I had to sit there in my suit sweating as they stared at me watching this redundantly useless power point while joking with each other between slides. It's not like they asked us any questions concerning the presentation.

This entire process was clearly for the employees. No candidates were happily hanging around the tables enjoying food and coffee. Again, if they made it to this final step in the process, I'm sure they were prepared and already drank their coffee and made sure to have eaten. Who wants to go to a job interview and load up on free food? The future of our lives is at stake, but I'm sure the AAA reps all enjoyed the sandwiches. This wasn't a networking event, it was literally the final phase of the interview. It felt like a way for the employees to slack off on an otherwise hardworking day to eat and drink while thinking they looked professional.

We went on to "roll play" with a manager, then interview with 2 others. The final manager that interviewed me said he was tired and ready to go. We had a casual convo about my experience & personal skills, he told me he was exhausted from watching candidates try to answer behavioral questions and just wanted to get to know people. HA! I'm not joking. At least this guy was on the level.

Info on the "roll play"-They play a caller and you play the claim rep. If you're an actor, this won’t be an issue. Otherwise, know that they are evaluating what they think is your soft people skills, but in reality you are acting, you aren’t handling a claim. They want to see you show genuine concern for their members, even though this roll play is literally the opposite of genuine. It is fake. It is an acting competition, that is not predicated on genuine skills, talent, morals, or integrity. I did all the things like thanking them for continued membership with AAA, introducing myself, never saying "no" but offering other solutions, asking them if there was anything else needed. You name it, I said it.

Interview Questions

• They only ask for situation behavior examples from previous work experience. If you don't have a good story, or they don't like your story, or someone else has a better story, you won't get the job. They would rather evaluate everything you represent, offer, and aspire to be in the form of a few "tell me a time when..." questions.   3 Answers

Specialist, Dispatch Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at American Automobile Association (AAA) (New York, NY (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

First interview was a phone screen, asked what hours was I available and can I work weekends, only asked 7 questions, scenarios based. Two days later was offered a Second interview, in person, 18 scenario questions. After the interview, interviewer showed me around and let me sit with beside a dispatcher to "get a feel" of what the position consist of, Interviewer says If interested. I should receive feedback within a week. Overall, this interview process has only been a week.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions are not ones you would "Google", just be yourself and answer from experience, a lot of customer service based questions. "Name a time when..." "What would you if.." "Can you tell me an example of when..."

Some questions I remember: "What does "the customer is always right mean to you?" "What type of personalities are hard for you to work with?" "Name a time when you went above and beyond for a customer" "Describe a time when you left your customer a memorable experience" "Does it bother you to receive help from others?" "Describe a time when you had to admit you were wrong" "How do you deal with a customer that thinks what they are saying is right but you know they're wrong?" "Why do you think it's important to be pleasant with customers" "Name three ways that you have succeeded being in customer service" "How would you deal with a customer that has a language barrier?" "Give an example of how you worked as a team with your co-workers to solve an issue" These are just some examples of what they ask, doesn't necessarily mean you'll receive the same questions, as I have heard a variety of different ones.

Answer Question

Claims Representative I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Automobile Association (AAA) (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Then they sent me an email to take an assessment. I received an email saying I passed and that I was a candidate for a phone interview. After the phone interview I was called in for a in person interview. There was three people conducting my interview. It went really well. They said that they would context me in a couple of weeks and that they would consider me if they had any openings.

Interview Questions

• Tell them about a time I had conflict with a co-worker and how did I resolve it.   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Automobile Association (AAA).

Interview

In order to advance, it is best to continuously prepare for the next position. Do not wait for something to come open. There are a number of people that provide support and ware available to mentor with.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Automobile Association (AAA) (Burbank, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Simple questions. Very standard. The process involved drug testing via hair at 3rd party company. Initial testing online about ethics and attempting to assess you as an individual. Two entities were involved, the HR department and a outside company. The both were doing the same thing and at one point the hr dept contacted me and said that I needed to get my W2's to them. I sent those via email from IRS. He said he did not get them, then said that they contacted a former employer and all was ok. Then 4 days later the outside background company said that I still need to get former employer info to them.

Interview Questions

• Detail a time when you went above and beyond to assist a customer.   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Automobile Association (AAA) (Marietta, GA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted application and got a call from recruiter the same day wanting to set up phone interview. Completed phone interview 2 days later. Day after phone interview recruiter called to scheduled face to face interview. The process was very fast. The pay was commission based and just was not for me.

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Automobile Association (AAA) (Saint Louis, MO (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I found the job opening in a Career Fair. I talked to a manager of the main branch which lead me to a interview the next day. I came with over 250 contacts that I can use to start prospecting. All insurance companies want you to have about 200 contacts for you to prospect on paper (people that you know). The next day I interviewed with two other branch managers at HQ I was sent a personalty test to do. I pass the test. Next I was set up to meet with the regional manager the next week. If you make it this far you are in. The regional manager told me about the career and I started filling out paperwork for hire. The offer was $2500 for the first month while studying then 3K for three months while in training (you have to clock in and out 8:30am -5:30pm). After training you get a $2500 forgivable draw every month(you don't have to clock in). Yes it is commissions. The monthly goal is 20 policies a month! A lot but you also have to sale memberships that can lead to policies. However before you are hired you have to pass a background check which can take a week and a hair drug test that goes 90 days back. It has been over a week and my background and drug test have not came back yet. Before going on the interview try to have 200 contacts. I had that and a loan officer in my pocket which will lead to home policies.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to meet a sales goal?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Automobile Association (AAA) in April 2015.

Interview

I took applied online, 2 days later received an invitation to take an assessment Whig took about an hour. Two weeks later I got a call from an hr rep, since I was driving she said she would call the following Monday, I waited too noon then called her I kinda got the run around then she decided to scheduled a chat, I was told it would last about 20 minutes or so when she called she told me about the pay asked me 1 question told me she would be in touch, I got another invitation to take an assessment then 2 minutes letter a rejection letter after being told she would be speaking with hiring managers and contacting me back in 2 days to schedule an in office interview. It was so fusterating, I wish they would have been straight up and just told me that the one position has been filled and that they found someone more qualified rather than giving me false hope and the run around.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Automobile Association (AAA).

Interview

Interviewed on the phone with marketing manager. Followed up about a week later for an in person interview. Met with a manager and the VP. Both very nice, professional. No unusual questions. Describe processes, campaigns, etc. Dress professionally if you go, the VP is formal.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something you'd like me to know that we didn't cover.   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeksinterviewed at American Automobile Association (AAA) (Long Beach, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Online interview is based on how well you would do at your job. Then they move onto asking you how you would handle situations with management. And how much you think management is necessary. It's a bunch of traps.

Interview Questions

• If management was doing something wrong would you do what they said, tell their boss, or do it the right way?   Answer Question