American Cancer Society

102 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Manager Interview

Fresno, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at American Cancer Society in August 2013.

Interview Details Phone Panel Interview with about 8 questions specifically related to the role

Interview Question – How do you know you are being an effective trusted leader?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Positive

Very Easy Interview

Special Events Intern Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Cancer Society in September 2013.

Interview Details To complete my undergraduate degree, I needed to undergo a full-time internship in my field. In late June, I emailed a woman in the office that I wanted to work in. Mind you, I was looking for an internship in the Spring, so I was WAY ahead of time, hence the 3 month process. In the beginning of August, I emailed my contact their again (as it seems she may have forgotten). She gave me the option to choose between the Special Event Internship or the Social Media Internship. I chose Special events and honestly had to continue to remind them that I was interested. Soon,a woman called me and wanted to bring me in to ask a few questions. The interview process was very easy. No difficult questions, all the standard "tell me about yourself, " "Why ACS?" and "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" My biggest advice would be to start contacting them early-nothing seems to move very fast in this office. Overall, this has been a rewarding, eye-opening, and stereotypical internship. Yes, they send me to pick up their lunch and run errands with no pay or gas mileage reimbursement. i have enjoyed my time here, but am very much against the unpaid aspect. I have to babysit 3 nights a week to barely survive!

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Interns are unpaid.

Relay for Life Manager Interview

Interviewed at American Cancer Society

Interview Details A lot of red tape

Interview Question – Tell us where you want to be in 5 years   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they don't negotiate

Senior Manager, Relay for Life Interview

Sacramento, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in December 2011.

Interview Details Online application through www.cancer.org then survey of questions if they're interested. Followed by a phone screening and face to face interview in the office. Questions are situational based. They want to hear how you handled specific situations. There's also a lot of questions about how you handle change.

Interview Question – What is the best evidence that other people trust you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations at the time I was hired.

Recruiter for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Cancer Society in March 2013.

Interview Details I was interviewed first over the phone, then was invited in.I loved the office and the atmosphere and the people. By the end of the following week, I was employed there as a temp.

Interview Question – They wanted to know what drew me to the position   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Marketing and Communications Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview Details When I first got the call after I applied, they said the first interview would be over the phone - so we set up a time/day to do so. First phone interview went well (lasted about 15-20 minutes), said they would like to continue interview in person.
Went in for second interview, first in person - went well, everyone was nice, he introduced me to most of the employees, and showed me where my potential office might be (I felt really good about getting the job!)
Called me back the next day to say they wanted to do another in person interview with the area director who would be in town. Went in for THIRD interview, everything went well - lots of questions about what kind of person I am, and wanted every detail of all sales experience I had.
Called me back a couple days later saying they wanted to do another interview, this time with several people in the office. By this time, I was really losing patience - either you want me or you don't!
Went in for FOURTH interview, went well. Same questions, just asked differently just like I felt how the other interviews went.
Call back a few days later, saying a different area director was in town and wanted to meet me. Went in and met with her, things went well - pretty short interview, and I don't blame her I'm not sure what other info anyone could squeeze out of me.
Called me back a couple days later and did what was basically another phone interview. I didn't even care about the job anymore by this point, I felt like I was in an horrible relationship and I couldn't break up with the person or something.
Called me back again a couple days later and finally said that they didn't think I was right for the job because I didn't have enough sales experience. I nearly had a nuclear meltdown - I told them from the beginning I barely had any sales experience so I'm not sure what they were doing wasting their time and my time by doing SIX interviews.

Interview Question – They asked me many times what I would do if one of the cancer patients/survivors started clinging to me and wanting to be my friend or be able to call me personally.   View Answer

Community Relationship Manager Interview

Tacoma, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in June 2011.

Interview Details Interviewed on two separate occasions for the same position, got it the second time. I was never contacted to let me know I did not get the job the first time. The management is very casual and made interviewing simple. Communication is not their strong suit if you won't benefit them.

Interview Question – What's your favorite ice cream?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were not open to negotiation.

Event Intern Interview

Interviewed at American Cancer Society

Interview Details I sent in my resume and cover letter and was contacted within a week asking to meet in person. It was very informal and friendly, I met with a communications head and the events head.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Patient Resource Specialist Interview

Patient Resource Specialist
Austin, TX (US)

I interviewed at American Cancer Society in February 2014.

Interview Details online application ,then phone screen, then an on-site interview. The on-site interview include sitting beside a current staff for 30 mins, and a talk for 45-60 mins.

Interview Question – What is the thing that you are proud of?   Answer Question

Cancer Information Specialist Interview

Cancer Information Specialist
Austin, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Cancer Society in January 2014.

Interview Details Online application, phone interview, and then face-to-face interview.

Interview Question – One was that 'do you use a computer regularly?" and "explain an experience where a policy changed at your workplace"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Cancer Society

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Cancer Society interview questions and advice. All 102 interview reviews are posted anonymously by American Cancer Society employees and interview candidates.