American Eagle Outfitters

Updated 6 Dec 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

Talked to AE at a recruitment fair in London, and was booked in for a 'first' interview for the week after. Was under the impression it would be a one to one interview. It was not. Interviews were held in an old college building (stores in UK not open yet). Apparently all positions in the store other than management count as 'sales associate' even if that's not what you'd be working as.
    Probably the worst interview process I have ever been through. There was essentially no point to it at all. The group of people being interviewed were taken into a room with two of the already appointed store managers. There was about 10 of us in the group being interviewed. Managers asked questions to the group and if you wanted to answer you could. The managers had only been recruited 1-3 weeks earlier.
    Questions were:
    Have you worked in retail before?
    What are your goals for the future?
    What are your hobbies?
    Have you ever given or received great customer service?
    How would your best friend sum you up in one word?
    Have you ever been part of a team where you were proud of your contribution?
    Where do you get your style inspiration?

Aaaand that was it. No follow up one to one interview. Nothing else. I don't know how that could ever be seriously counted as an interview process, and it's particularly surprising as the stores are brand new opens - I would have imagined a tough interview process to make sure they had a good opening team.
    Totally pointless process. I'm pretty mad I actually spent money on transport getting there. Would not have accepted a position even if offered, was so badly organised!

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. The process was unexpected in that it was barely even an interview.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in June 2010.

Was called by dm to setup an interview. Even if you have amazing experience they base their hiring on a career colour code system so if you do very well in the imterview if you dont fall into the colour thier looking for you dont get a call.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult if you know your business you shoild be okay.   Answer Question
    They start at the lowest possible so make sure you know why they should pay you what your looking for.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Was called to schedule for an interview a few days after turning in my application in store. Had a group interview later that weekend. The interview/hiring process was fairly quick.

Store Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

very unprofessional company, I realized I might not want to work there. The guy that called was not even the hiring manager, so why did he even call. I missed his call, then I called him back, he then told me to call the company hotline. I was slightly confused, I knew at that moment the interview process might take longer. I have yet to receive a call back from the manager or HR people.

Interview Questions
    • HR did not get back to me, after several attempt to speak to the manager. Very unprofessional.   View Answer

Floor Set/Sales Associate Interview

Literally just walked into the store and asked if they were hiring, the assistant manger asked me if I was interested I said yes then he just made me fill out one of those agree/disagree test on an Ipad. Took maybe 15 minutes to fill it out and I was hired. A couple days later filled out all the paperwork and began orientation. Very easy going process, all the managers were extremely nice and outgoing.

Interview Questions
    • There were none, Interview was short and to the point.   Answer Question
    It's a good job, you get to work with fun, outgoing people.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Very simple and straightforward. Typical interview questions asked. Focused on previous management experience. Be prepared to interview with store manager and district manager. Be prepared to speak about past experiences to show leadership skills.

DM asked for a recent paystub from current employer to verify income. The company is very salary conscious, tries to get each manager at the minimum amount they will take.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

It was a group interview with approximately 25 candidates. They asked us a few basic behavioural questions which were simple, the only difficult part was being able to voice your answer without coming off as overbearing. At the end, we were split into groups, given a description of a type of customer, an event and a budget and told to create an outfit for them.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very straight forward. Tell us about yourself? Tell us about a time you went above and beyond to help a customer?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I had applied three times to the same store. The third time I handed the application to the manager and had an on-the-spot interview, and was asked to come back the two days later for a formal interview. After two days She called me back and offered me the job.

Sales Associate Interview

Was a group interview with around three other people. Very straightforward. Took place with the hiring manager, but did not meet the store manager until after start date. Interview lasted maybe 30 minutes or so, was very relaxed. Included questions about personal style taste, customer service experience etc. Interviewed for a seasonal position, but stayed on after holiday.

Stock Supervisor Interview

The interview process was standard. The first interview was with the Human Resources rep and the second interview was with the hiring manager. Both interviews lasted about 30 minutes. A majority of the questions asked were behavioral based questions such as tell me about a time when... Overall, the interview process was positive.