American Eagle Outfitters

Updated 14 Nov 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

Talked to AE at a recruitment fair in London, and was booked in for a 'first' interview for the week after. Was under the impression it would be a one to one interview. It was not. Interviews were held in an old college building (stores in UK not open yet). Apparently all positions in the store other than management count as 'sales associate' even if that's not what you'd be working as.
    Probably the worst interview process I have ever been through. There was essentially no point to it at all. The group of people being interviewed were taken into a room with two of the already appointed store managers. There was about 10 of us in the group being interviewed. Managers asked questions to the group and if you wanted to answer you could. The managers had only been recruited 1-3 weeks earlier.
    Questions were:
    Have you worked in retail before?
    What are your goals for the future?
    What are your hobbies?
    Have you ever given or received great customer service?
    How would your best friend sum you up in one word?
    Have you ever been part of a team where you were proud of your contribution?
    Where do you get your style inspiration?

Aaaand that was it. No follow up one to one interview. Nothing else. I don't know how that could ever be seriously counted as an interview process, and it's particularly surprising as the stores are brand new opens - I would have imagined a tough interview process to make sure they had a good opening team.
    Totally pointless process. I'm pretty mad I actually spent money on transport getting there. Would not have accepted a position even if offered, was so badly organised!

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. The process was unexpected in that it was barely even an interview.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in June 2010.

Was called by dm to setup an interview. Even if you have amazing experience they base their hiring on a career colour code system so if you do very well in the imterview if you dont fall into the colour thier looking for you dont get a call.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult if you know your business you shoild be okay.   Answer Question
    They start at the lowest possible so make sure you know why they should pay you what your looking for.

Stock Supervisor Interview

The interview process was standard. The first interview was with the Human Resources rep and the second interview was with the hiring manager. Both interviews lasted about 30 minutes. A majority of the questions asked were behavioral based questions such as tell me about a time when... Overall, the interview process was positive.

Sales Associate Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in November 2014.

I applied online on a Friday and received a call back around Tuesday. It was for an interview. The person who called me was super nice and he said dress casual and to bring an extra copy of my resume. And the interview was set for the following Thursday. I went into the location and was instructed to go upstairs. I saw one or two other people in a waiting area. The interview was suppose to be at 4 but by 4:20 no one came to speak to me. And by that time a bunch of other people poured into the waiting room. I think roughly 14 other people were waiting to be interviewed as well, seemingly. I honestly thought it was a one on one or even if it was a group interview, I thought 14 people was way too much. Nevertheless at around 4:30, one of the supervisors brought us downstairs and we all sat in a circle. Then she along with another supervisor started asking us typical questions like if you were a customer and an employee gave you attitude how would you feel or vice versa. After around 5 rounds of interviewing questions and going around the circle, they had everyone fill out paper applications regardless if you applied online. And while you were filling out info, they were actually picking out people that stood out. After around 10 mins, they called out names and basically if your name was called- your interview was over. I, along with 4 other people were not called. Then we were introduced to the manager that oversaw 3 different american eagles and he asked more personal questions like Describe yourself, etc. By the end of my interview he immediately offered me a position that was close to my school. I go in for employee training on Sunday!

Interview Questions
    • If you could describe yourself in one word, what would it be?   Answer Question
    He basically just asked, which store would you want to work at? And I replied any and he said I'm going to put you down for this one and it basically meant I got the job.

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in November 2014.

I had asked for an application the day before the interview and when I came to turn it in they told me to bring it back the next day--so I did. When I turned it in my interviewer interviewed me right on the spot and right after the interview she offered me a job with them. The interview was fast, to the point, and comfortable--it also helped that my interviewer was incredibly friendly and welcoming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in November 2014.

We were asked to sit on the couches. There were about 10 people in my group (I saw about 2 other groups about the same size). We went down to the stock room and talked to managers "popcorned" questions. They asked "What do you think is good customer service?" "What position are you most interested in here? [Aerie, Sales, Cashier or Visual]". I then filled out another application [I filled one online but I guess they wanted a paper copy] and I was called into another manager's office. We talked for 5 minutes total. We discussed my schedule and what location is most convenient for me to commute to and I was given the job.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions asked. I went into a manager's office, we talked about my schedule and what location is most convenient for me and I was given the job.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Very little interview. Just a meeting then an offer. They hire a ton during the holiday season, then they'll let you go. Show them you want to stay and you might be able to continue with them.

Minimum Wage.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I applied through a posting on our university jobboard. After an initial phone interview with HR, I was flown to Pittsburgh to interview with a buyer and then participate in a 2 day interview program. There were probably 2-3 dozen candidates and 2 days of activities including rounds of interviews back to back in a hotel meeting room (where 10 other candidates are interviewed at the same time at different tables), meet-and-greet the buyers at happy hour etc. Like someone mentioned, it was like a sorority rush event.

FYI: The company is not very diverse. Most employees are from Pittsburgh and/or University of Pittsburgh.

Sales Associate Interview

The interview is pretty straight forward, you apply in person and after they review your application you, come in for an interview. They will sit you down and ask you a lot of basic sales business questions, and customer service questions. You may be called back in for multiple interviews but usually one is standard.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Traverse City, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Traverse City, MI (US)

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

My local AE was hiring like crazy with an application table in and outside of their store. I turned in my application to a manager who skimmed over it and said she loved how energetic I was, and that the hiring manager would love me, she told me he would call me in a few days to set up an interview, after 1 week without a call I called the store and asked to speak with the hiring manager and the guy who answered was very rude and said he's not here now bye and hung up. I went into the store the next day and talked to the hiring manager directly. He wrote my name on a piece of paper and said he'd call me within the week for an interview. 2 weeks went by with no call, I called again and the hiring manager answered and I asked about my application once more and asked if there was any improvements or experience required for the position I was missing. He said no that my application looked great and that he'd for sure get back with me in a week to set up an interview. Again he never called. This seemed very unprofessional to me especially for a hiring manager, I have lost all interest in ever working for American Eagle Outfitters. Z