American Eagle Outfitters

Updated 4 Mar 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

Talked to AE at a recruitment fair in London, and was booked in for a 'first' interview for the week after. Was under the impression it would be a one to one interview. It was not. Interviews were held in an old college building (stores in UK not open yet). Apparently all positions in the store other than management count as 'sales associate' even if that's not what you'd be working as.
    Probably the worst interview process I have ever been through. There was essentially no point to it at all. The group of people being interviewed were taken into a room with two of the already appointed store managers. There was about 10 of us in the group being interviewed. Managers asked questions to the group and if you wanted to answer you could. The managers had only been recruited 1-3 weeks earlier.
    Questions were:
    Have you worked in retail before?
    What are your goals for the future?
    What are your hobbies?
    Have you ever given or received great customer service?
    How would your best friend sum you up in one word?
    Have you ever been part of a team where you were proud of your contribution?
    Where do you get your style inspiration?

Aaaand that was it. No follow up one to one interview. Nothing else. I don't know how that could ever be seriously counted as an interview process, and it's particularly surprising as the stores are brand new opens - I would have imagined a tough interview process to make sure they had a good opening team.
    Totally pointless process. I'm pretty mad I actually spent money on transport getting there. Would not have accepted a position even if offered, was so badly organised!

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. The process was unexpected in that it was barely even an interview.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in June 2010.

Was called by dm to setup an interview. Even if you have amazing experience they base their hiring on a career colour code system so if you do very well in the imterview if you dont fall into the colour thier looking for you dont get a call.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult if you know your business you shoild be okay.   Answer Question
    They start at the lowest possible so make sure you know why they should pay you what your looking for.

Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

It was a group interview. The hiring manager focused on one person more than the other.Strict rules on how to dress. The wait for the interview took longer then it should be. The hiring manager was very nice though. You must shop there and be a loyal customer.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I applied to American Eagle as a part-time sales associate in October and about 2 weeks later I got a call for an interview. I sat down in the corner of the store with a manager and after a few questions he told me I was hired. However, he told me I would be a seasonal employee because I did not have any previous experience in retail, but if they liked me, they would offer me a part-time position. I was thrilled to even be offered a seasonal position. He told me that my first day would be Black Friday, which I did not have a problem with. After my first shift, I asked how I would find out my hours every week. They told me to call every week and they would tell me when I was scheduled. For about 2 weeks I called and I was not put on the schedule. The 3rd week I called, they had told me that they never meant to hire me as a seasonal employee. They just wanted me to work on Black Friday.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in February 2015.

I applied in stores and the process took about two weeks. It was a one on one interview in the mall. The interviewer was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. I was asked very basic retail questions and then in return I got to ask questions. The interview lasted about 15 minutes and I was told I got the job right after.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to present yourself in front of a large group or audience.
      What extracurricular activities do you do outside of work and school?

Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in February 2015.

My interview took place in store with the store manager and the district manager on a Thursday. I first had to fill out a paper application, while they reviewed my resume. They asked for specific examples on how my prior mangement experience would benefit the company and what I could offer/bring to the table for the store. Although I was asked some pretty tough to answer managing questions It was a very comfortable, more relaxed interview where it felt as though I was just talkin to friends. After my interview they had me take a type of personality survey. Basically just had to select adjectives inwhich would describe myself. They use that to show what kind of worker you are and how you'd fit in with their current team. After filling out the form for my background the interview process was over. I got a call the following Monday offering me the position!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how I would know you are successful at your current managing position if I walked into your place of employment today?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Process was fairly easy. After handing in my application, I was asked to go to the computer and complete a survey that basically analyzes your work style and ethics. Then, a group interview was conducted with basic questions like "How would you describe your personal style?" and "What experience do you have working with others?". Just relax, act cool, and dress trendy.

none

Model Interview

I applied online through a computer they had in store. When I arrived at the interview, (it was a group interview), there were 4 other interwiewees and one interviewer. The questions where what you would expect; "Tell me about a time where you had to make a quick decision and show leadership." and "What do you think of when you think about the American Eagle brand?"

Interview Questions
    • What comes to mind when you think of the American Eagle brand?   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I met w/ the district manager. Overall the interview was very lighthearted. She asked me to tell her about my experience and then talked to me a little bit about how they needed help to "turn the store around". Then she asked my salary expectations. I got hired pretty much the next day.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Seemed like a great company. The interview went really well and I felt like I was given a great amount of time to sell myself and I learned a lot about the company.