American Red Cross

Updated 14 Feb 2015

2.7

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Red Cross in February 2015.

Spent most of the time asking me about very specific job requirements that weren't even on the job posting description then was told I probably wouldn't advance because I didn't have these? If they were so critical then why aren't they on the job posting? What a waste of our time. Now I can see why they have bad employee reviews on GlassDoor. SMH

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for the American Red Cross? What is your experience in this specific area of your field (that wasn't on the job posting)? What is your experience with this particular software (that wasn't on the job posting)? You probably won't advance to the next round. Bye.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Red Cross in November 2014.

The interview process was long, first three person panel followed with a 2 person panel and at the end an interview with VP of finance. All of the questions were very well thought and strategized.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were above average, none too unexpected or very difficult.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Red Cross.

Applied online via the Red Cross website in July 2014. Received an email around Labor Day from HR requesting an interview by phone. Spoke on the phone to the HR contact for approximately 30 minutes (more so about the organization with few details about the position) One week later, I received a call from a separate HR person asking to schedule a phone interview with the department head. Spoke to the department head for half an hour. This was followed by a call back from the same HR person who then scheduled for me to come into their office for an interview with the department head (and her underlings). By now, it is the third week of September.

I received a detailed email from Red Cross HR with directions to their office, and format for the meeting (was to meet 1 on 1 with 4 people, in a certain order) Included with the mail was a PDF detailing employee benefits.

On the day of the face to face interview, I got to their office early, and waited nearly a half hour past the scheduled interview start time for someone to come down and retrieve me from the security office. Instead of meeting 1 on 1 with the team, as expected, I met with three people at once (likely due to our not starting on time) followed by a 1 on 1 meeting with the department head, who I previously spoke with on the phone.

At the end of the interview, I was told that I would find out the following week if they would make an offer, or not. Two weeks later, I received an email from their HR department stating that an offer was not going to be made (first week of October)

Everyone I met/spoke with was pleasant, friendly and dedicated to their work.

, Information Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross in May 2014.

Fairly easy - only phone interviews. "First" round interview isn't an interview at all, it's just a phone call to schedule the next interview. They pick all interviews based on resume. Second round interview is over the phone (even if you're in the area), questions ranged from "How good are you with Excel?" to "Why Red Cross?" The Red Cross is all about their mission statement, so talk about that. Questions were not hard. Usually there is a third round interview, but it's the same as the second round interview only with a different team member.

Note: this format is the same for any ARC HQ Internship

Interview Questions
    • How would you react if your deadline for a project got extended? They said they had to ask this question, but it was weird because usually a project extension isn't 1) a thing unless you ask for it (it's not usually just handed out) or 2) a problem.   View Answer
    Payment depends on the department's budget. This department is unpaid, which means it should be less than 40 hours a week, but my boss wanted me to stay 40 hours a week anyway.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Red Cross in December 2013.

Phone interview with HR.

Interview Questions
    • HR rep didn't seem completely familiar with position or details of the job description/job description perhaps didn't accurately convey primary responsibilities.   Answer Question

Executive Director- Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at American Red Cross in November 2013.

I applied and within 2 weeks I was e-mailed for a phone interview. After the interview I was told I would receive a email with a link to complete my application. Then was told in perxson interviews would take place in 2 weeks. After three weeks I had not heard anything so I emailed the HR person I was cooresponding with. She said it was taking longer than she had anticipated. 2 months later, I emailed again. The HR person apologized and said they were still working out the details. Another month went by and still working out the details. After 4 months they notified me that the position is cancelled.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult. But it was hard to tell if I was responding in the right way.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Red Cross in September 2013.

Simple hiring process - no cover letter needed, just a resume submitted via the website. Interviews were only one round - straight forward.

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Red Cross in April 2012.

A short 30 minute phone interview by two managers, no HR on the call. I was offered the job by HR the next day.

Interview Questions
    The negotiation was difficult. The HR had originally insinuated a much higher range. Salary is calculated based on years of experience and previous salary so be careful when filling out the form of past salary. Try to include any bonuses and benefits in that figure so you are still honest but do not sell yourself short. Also, assume that you will negotiate. The HR expects it and will offer a lower salary in anticipation.

Disaster Services Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross in January 2012.

Applied through the Red Cross career website. Was contacted about a week later to set up an in person interview. The interview was pretty basic, the typical job interview questions were asked, nothing really unexpected. Received an offer a week later.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross in October 2011.

applied on redcross website.i heard about the position from a friend who works at American redcross and he referred me for the position.
    after a week of application i got a call from HR, asking very basic questions about education, location and availability. I was scheduled for interview at the HQ office. it was panel interview. i was interview by Sr.Director,PM and Team Lead. all had there set of questions and they took rounds.
    it was basically interview based on my resume, and the position i had applied to. the interview lasted for about an hour
    i heard back in a week;s time. Team lead called and said that HR will call me back to complete the process
    HR called for background check.
    salary negotiation followed successful background check and offer letter arrived in 4 weeks time

they will negotiate from the input you have given while completing the application process. so its better to give a little more because they do try and match it with industry standards.