AppFolio Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014
Updated 16 Oct 2014

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at AppFolio in October 2014.

Applied online for the Software Engineer Intern position and within approximately a week I had a initial phone screen with a member of the HR team. She was very kind and after that she set me up with a one hour technical phone interview with a senior member of the engineering team. The technical phone interview lasted about 40 minutes and covered questions on my background as well as questions relating to sorting, data management, and object-oriented programming. I was rejected at the end of the technical interview, but the interviewer was very nice about it.

Interview Questions
    • Related to sorting an array based on given specifications without creating any new data structures.   Answer Question

Agile Facilitator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Site (Ghana)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Site (Ghana)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at AppFolio.

They admittedly weren't sure what they were looking for in terms of this position and future company growth. I'm guessing by interviewing a variety of candidates they were able to say "yay" or "nay" until they found what they think would fit best. It was excessive to have 8 interviews with 10 employees, so I just had to look at it from the perspective that I was meeting new people and gaining interview experience. In some ways, I feel like my interviews drove a more serious look within the company to figure out what they really wanted. Glad I could help :)

Interview Questions
    • They were looking at all overall background and experience. They desired someone with experience in an agile development environment. I was given feedback indicating they were interested in someone with a proved track record in education and/or coaching others. They seemed less interested in someone who might be familiar with software engineers and other technical positions even though the role would involve facilitating and interacting most with this type of employee.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AppFolio in August 2014.

Very Exciting. Talk about some basic data structures. And the interivewer ask me some questions about BST tree. And use Triney tree to implement that. And also he asked me to convert a string to a number without using parserInt function in java.

Sales Development Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AppFolio.

The interview process was easy and was not overwhelming. I was a bit nervous going in, but when things got rolling everything was pretty smooth. No questions that were out of the ordinary and got straight to the point.

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AppFolio in May 2014.

They had about 6 to 7 rounds of interviews.

The first one was with the VP of Engineering. He is a nice guy, really smart (according to me). He asked me a lot of Automation & Design Questions from my previous organization projects.

Then the Director of Software Engineering interviewed me, he was very knowledgeable. He asked about all the tools I had used. The questions were simple about OOPS, DataStructures. Not really tough questions.

Then I was interviewed by an Engineer, he asked me a puzzle - if there were 15 horses, and if you could race 3 at a time. Whats the minimum number of races that is required to determine the top three horses. He then asked me to generalize this problem for any number of horses. Then a python code for the same to finish it off.

Then the QA Director, asked me a bunch of questions mainly on product. They explained their product clearly. After that they asked me a bunch of QA Questions mostly related to Sprint Planning, Agile Process, Regression Tests, etc. If you are in QA for a long time - this should be easy for you.

All the interviewers were nice, they try to help you to think - once they have asked their question.

NOTE : if you donot know something, say you dont know !! They appreciate it. In my case I was not good in JScript & Ruby - I told them and they liked it.

Interview Questions
    • if there were 15 horses, and if you could race 3 at a time. Whats the minimum number of races that is required to determine the top three horses. He then asked me to generalize this problem for any number of horses. Then a python code for the same to finish it off   View Answer
    They start off offering you a very little package.

You can easily demand more than what they offer - if you feel you deserve it. They will try their best to match it.

Sales Development Representative Interview

They were nice on the phone. I got a call within a few weeks of submitting an application. They are a small startup that is looking to grow their business and want to have entry level people to help them grow.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about Appfolio and how you would make a cold call   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AppFolio in February 2014.

Overall exp was good .initially had 2 phone interviews and 2 skype interviews .then I was asked visit SB office and the interviewers were friendly and lunch was provided .

Interview Questions
    • 2 skype interviews and 4 rounds of onsite interviews .Interview was general programming and some questions to test your aptitude .   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at AppFolio in February 2014.

Staff I interviewed with were very flaky. Multiple staff members missed interview times on multiple occasions with me and my references that they requested to speak to. Interview process took 60+ days. They NEVER communicated to me when they said they would. During interviews when I asked product folks about how they were improving their product (site filled with obvious bugs, non functional App.) they all changed subject to discuss another product they were working on. Would be a good work place for younger professionals who like to play with nerf guns but does not appear to be a good place for seasoned professionals. Smart engineering team seems to run the show. Seems to be some process work issues between design and Eng. teams Overall, Nice people and they all seem to enjoy working together but lack serious professional experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to provide a heuristic review of their products. and presented my findings.   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AppFolio in January 2014.

Screening/behavioral questions with HR on phone first. Then a phone interview with Andrew Mutz. Very nice people. Fair questions. Asked a lot about complexity and ways to improve efficiency of your code. I just blanked.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Given an array that contains duplicates (except for one value), find the one value that does not have a duplicate in that array. Explain the complexity of your algorithm. So in the array: A = [2, 3, 4, 5, 2, 3, 4] your algorithm should return 5 since that's the value that does not have a duplicate.

2. Explain the process that happens when you type your username and hit submit on a website (HTTP, server/client communication, etc...)
        View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

on campus recruiting but still need to apply online. They give me a phone interview but later they don't want to forward the interview.