BDO USA

Updated 18 Sep 2014
Updated 18 Sep 2014

2.8

Audit Senior Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at BDO USA.

Phone interview with HR recruiter. Flew out for interview (my own expense). Interview with 2 partners. Very laid back interview. The partners were great. I really enjoyed the process.

How much do you want? They gave me more than the highest amount I wanted.

Audit Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at BDO USA.

The interview process was relatively easy. I applied through our college career center and heard back within a couple week. Next I had an on campus interview with the partner

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were easy and expected questions. Mainly behavioral questions   Answer Question

Consulting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at BDO USA.

Initial Phone interview, followed by face-to-face interviews with 5 people. Was told it would be individual interviews, but they decided to do a group interview, which worked out well in the end.

Assurance Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at BDO USA.

I was referred by a friend who already works for BDO. I interviewed with three people. The questions were more conversational. (Make sure you do your homework and come prepared to ask questions). I got an offer the next day and started two weeks after.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult-again it was more conversational.   Answer Question

Tax Associate Interview

Met with HR Manager as well as Tax Manager in a two step process. First step was on the phone. Second was at the firm with both persons listed above present.

Email with offer contract

Tax Associate Interview

Contacted by a HR and scheduled with on-site interview. A tax manager interviewed with me and ask some behavioral and technical questions. The interviewer also test me on my resume. Make sure you are very familiar with the details you put on resume.

Managing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at BDO USA.

Interviews included multiple rounds with partners and MDs. The main hiring manager did all the talking so all I did was listen and sound interested. No case studies, no brain teasers. This company has very lax hiring standards. Just dress well, look professional and act interested. You will get a job.

Very easy, this company is desperate for good talent, so you can ask for anything you like.

Audit Associate Interview

There were two interviews held within about a month of each other; the second interview included lunch and an office visit. Each interview was about 30-45 minutes in length and there were plenty of opportunities to discuss questions. Interviewers were up front about travel requirements.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at BDO USA in May 2014.

I was initially contacted by a BDO recruiter who saw my LinkedIn profile. We started on a Monday with an informal phone conversation about the company and a little about the position. She indicated if I was interested I should submit a formal application, which I did the next day. A day later we had a formal phone interview which concluded with them letting me know there would most likely be a face to face interview scheduled soon.

I was contacted later asking if Thursday or Friday would work for a face to face interview (wow, they move fast). We actually scheduled it for Monday. That interview was a fairly straight forward interview with the hiring manager and one other analysts. It was conveyed they needed someone ASAP and I was asked how soon I could start and I informed them I'd need to give the standard 2 weeks notice. At the conclusion of that interview I was told they'd be in contact. A day or two later they wanted to schedule a second face to face, again with the hiring manager and more of his staff. They wanted to meet that Friday (again, it seemed to be going very fast) but we settled on Monday. That interview again was straight forward and I got the vibe that the position was basically mine. I was told they'd be in contact.

A week came and went and I heard nothing. I reached out to the BDO recruiter and was told due to some scheduling they needed more time and should learn something next week. Next week came and went and again I reached out. I was given a similar story about needing more time "to complete the process." I was told I was a "top candidate" and they asked for more time. Another week came and went and the communication with the recruiter repeated. Then another week came and went with the same story and I thought I was trapped in an episode of the Twilight Zone.

I wasn't looking for a job to begin with. They contacted me and when we initially discussed salary requirements I made it clear that to get me to leave my current position it would take a generous offer. After another week came and went and multiple attempts to contact the recruiter I finally sent an email to her saying I was withdrawing my name from consideration. Of course that email got an immediate response.

In the past dozen or so years I've held a handful of positions and a couple of those I've been offered the job within hours of the interview so to be strung along for 5 weeks without an answer was somewhat insulting. Especially given they made no attempt to stick to their "one more week" timeline or even to set real expectations of their "process." If this is how they run their interview process I'd hate to see how they run their company. If they want to recruit valuable employees, they should be treated as valuable candidates throughout the "process."

Assurance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BDO USA.

I submitted my resume on their website and they called me in for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the blue, just the typical "tell me about your experience" and "why do you want to work here".   View Answer
    They called me up with the job offer, including pretty good compensation, so I was happy to accept.

Worked for BDO USA? Contribute to the Community!