BHP Billiton Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014

Dry Bulk Marketer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Standard Phone, 1:1, panel interview progression.

Firm but friendly interviewers, mix of cultural fit and technical questions

Interview Questions
    • Would you rather fight a horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses?   View Answer

Pay

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

Phone screening, 2 to one with Senior manager and Vice President of department. Asked for background, experience, gave details of role, standard questions "give us an example of..." "Tell us a situation where". Asked about knowledge of the company.

Interview Questions
    • How well do you know the businesses in the company, as it is a huge company recommend doing research on all of the arms.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate and got what i wanted after standing my ground on Salary.

Petrophysicist Interview

interviewed at BHP Billiton in September 2014.

Got the interview call via on-campus recruitment. Their HR contacted me by mail and there was a pre-interview dinner. The first round was behavioural and mostly about my research experience

Interview Questions
    • If I asked your advisor, what would he/she say was your biggest strength and biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Data Improvement Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wollongong (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wollongong (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Was recruited through an employment company on contract basis. Interview process was limited because they wanted my expertise. Phone interview firstly then a 1:1 interview with the HR manager. Job offer.

Interview Questions
    • What can I bring to the company long term.   View Answer
    Accepted the job on their base offer.

Senior Maintenance Technician Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview about code of conduct and behavioural based questions, give examples in the star basis, situation, task, action, result. Process takes around an hour, research the BHP code of conduct and you will find it easy.

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BHP Billiton.

2 interviews . one by phone and the last one through video conference. However, this was before many of the changes in processes at the company. Then i had to go through a personality test where you draw cards and you have to put them in different stacks. This is is to understand how you think.

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

there was nothing particular about the hiring process, it was what could be described as a regular process, position advertised, applied for, review of CV's, short listing, interviewing, consideration, offer, acceptance, set start date.

set price

Land Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton in June 2014.

Too lengthy, could take up to 2 months. Panel interview with 3 managers in a conference room. Breifed with HR rep before interview, questions were pretty basic interview questions. Wear a suit and be well spoken, there will most likely be a Manager that is stoic and not friendly

Interview Questions
    • Describe a sitiuation in which you played a lead role and a supportive roll on a team   View Answer
    I didnt get the position I applied for, instead I was contacted by one of the panel Managers and offered a contract position

Measurement Analyst Interview

Quick process! Applied online and found some contacts through LinkedIn. Gave me the red carpet treatment for my face to face interview. Overall process took less than a month. HR is detailed oriented and thorough.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me about specific measurement software and my experience with it   Answer Question

Graduate Metallurgist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BHP Billiton in May 2014.

Initial online applications, then online assessment (comprehension, numerical, logical), the online video interview (4 questions, 30 seconds to read the question, then 2 minutes to answer), the selection centre (in-person behavioural interview - starting off with basic "tell us about yourself" question, "what do you know about our company" question, then 3 or so behavioural questions on safety, teamwork, and adapting to a new workplace/style, and two different group discussions/presentations). Next will be site-based selection, possibly involving another interview, then reference checks and medicals.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you were given negative criticism. How did you react, and what did you do as a result? [something along those lines]   Answer Question