BHP Billiton

Relevance Date Difficulty

Dry Bulk Marketer Interview

Dry Bulk Marketer
London, England

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview Details Standard Phone, 1:1, panel interview progression.

Firm but friendly interviewers, mix of cultural fit and technical questions

Interview Question – Would you rather fight a horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Pay

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview Details 2 interviews . one by phone and the last one through video conference. However, this was before many of the changes in processes at the company. Then i had to go through a personality test where you draw cards and you have to put them in different stacks. This is is to understand how you think.

Maintenance Interview

Maintenance
Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Interviewed at BHP Billiton

Interview Details there was nothing particular about the hiring process, it was what could be described as a regular process, position advertised, applied for, review of CV's, short listing, interviewing, consideration, offer, acceptance, set start date.

Interview Question – regular questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – set price

Financial Controller Interview

Financial Controller
Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in August 2010.

Interview Details Individual orientated and teh specific manager applies his or her own mind as to the process to assess candidates for suitable and fit with the specific team. Might include formal testing and most likely will for senioor positions.

Interview Question – Describe the best investment evaluation method specific to exploration projects and the reasons you think it to be appropriate.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Quite informal and accommodating.

Measurement Analyst Interview

Measurement Analyst

Interviewed at BHP Billiton

Interview Details Quick process! Applied online and found some contacts through LinkedIn. Gave me the red carpet treatment for my face to face interview. Overall process took less than a month. HR is detailed oriented and thorough.

Interview Question – Asked me about specific measurement software and my experience with it   Answer Question

Graduate Metallurgist Interview

Graduate Metallurgist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in May 2014.

Interview Details Initial online applications, then online assessment (comprehension, numerical, logical), the online video interview (4 questions, 30 seconds to read the question, then 2 minutes to answer), the selection centre (in-person behavioural interview - starting off with basic "tell us about yourself" question, "what do you know about our company" question, then 3 or so behavioural questions on safety, teamwork, and adapting to a new workplace/style, and two different group discussions/presentations). Next will be site-based selection, possibly involving another interview, then reference checks and medicals.

Interview Question – Tell us a time when you were given negative criticism. How did you react, and what did you do as a result? [something along those lines]   Answer Question

Geoscience Technician Interview

Geoscience Technician
Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in February 2014.

Interview Details Submitted application and within a week or so I received an email requesting my availability for the following two weeks to schedule a 30 minute phone interview. The phone interview actually occurred 4 days later and went excellent. The hiring manager suggested that I be scheduled for a face to face, 2 separate panel interview which occurred two weeks later.

First met with HR. No questions, just simply explained the benefits and answered any questions I had.

Then met with the hiring manager, another manager and a team member. First half explained the way the Petroleum part of the company worked and how the position fits in to that piece. Then the barrage of questions start from mainly the two people that were not part of the initial phone interview. I felt like I was batting 1.000 and felt very confident in their perception of me and my thorough responses. Great experience. When it was done they advised me that the second panel interview was cancelled.

The next day I was told that they wanted to make me an offer.

Interview Question – "You have listed quite a few BHP employees as references, what do you expect them to say about you.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Back and forth negotiating.

Information Management Analyst Interview

Information Management Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview Details 1 phone interview and 1 panel interview with 5 people. brutal process

Interview Question – lots of behavioral questions   Answer Question

Senior Finance Analyst Interview

Senior Finance Analyst
Port of Spain (Trinidad and Tobago)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BHP Billiton in March 2014.

Interview Details Very detailed, recruiter interview, phone interviee and then possible face interview.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 3 years   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BHP Billiton in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied online, took over a month to receive a request for a phone interview, after that never heard back from them, kind of disrespectful, just have the courtesy of sending the automatic email saying no.

Interview Question – Nothing really hard, flowing conversation with hiring manager   Answer Question

Worked for BHP Billiton? Contribute to the Community!