BP

333 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Backbone PMO Global Change Lead Interview

London, England

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BP in December 2011.

Interview Details face to face with several team members, However also person question as well as job specific questions. BP think it is very important you fit in with the team so like to know a little bit about you.

Interview Question – Normal questions but they do like to make you think about other processes as they combine roles and move people once your in   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very good and swift process, If they like you they come for you, They tend to stick to budgets so if your not happy with the initail offer they may find someone who is.

Senior PSCM Specialist Interview

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details Long and extensive interview that took place face to face with two mangers and detailed questions were asked about all the previous job experience. Practical examples from previous experience to demonstrate competency were asked.

Human Resources Graduate Scheme Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BP in February 2014.

Interview Details Although BP's selection process consists of many stages and is not an easy one, it is a pleasant journey to take. When I submitted my application, I had to fill in some initial screening questions, which aim to check the applicant's education, grades and availability to work in the UK. In the second stage I had to answer some more graduate schemish questions regarding my past experience and my future goals. After I passed this stage, I was invited to sit for verbal and numerical online tests. In my opinion, BP's tests are more reasonable and may be easier in comparison to others. After the online tests, I went through a telephone, competency-based interview. I would say that this interview was thorough as well as challenging, because of its fast pace and its wide variety of questions. The candidate has to be well-prepared to make it through. Afterwards, I was invited to an in-site, technical interview, where I faced two business scenarios. At this stage, the candidate should review her/is university books (this is if the position you apply for is relevant to your degree) and conduct some research around the oil and gas industry and around BP. Also, having some frameworks in your mind (STEEPLE, SWOT etc.) is always helpful. Lastly, I went to an in-site assessment centre. The other applicants and I had to do three tasks (two group and one individual). All tasks were relevant to the industry and the job and not generic. Researching assessment centre tasks, such as group discussions, by reading articles and watching youtube videos is pretty helpful in the sense that you can get a feeling of the real thing and create your strategy beforehand. Also, while performing the tasks, one should pay close attention to the competences that BP asks from its grads, as well as to BP's values!
Overall, as a candidate and an HR practitioner, I strongly believe that BP's selection process is sophisticated and successful for the following reasons. Firstly, the candidate feels more and more interested in the industry, the company and the job during the selection process. Secondly, the candidate feels a respected and valued individual during the process, as it is well-organised (e.g. the online 'candidate zone' that includes a lot of useful info and a personal contact from BP) and quick (in comparison to other grad schemes). Also, I have to mention that everyone from BP is very nice and polite to the candidate at all stages. Lastly, I think that all the tasks are revenant to the job, as they are not generic, but they assess specific and job-related skills and competences.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. If you are well-prepared to face a challenging competency-based interview and knowledgable about the technical skills that your role requires, you should be ok. A scenario you could face at the technical assessment is 'what would you do as an HR manager at BP if we went into a new country or acquired a company and you were in charge.'   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation since it is a Grad Scheme.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Sunbury, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP in February 2013.

Interview Details 2 interviews; one is with the line manager, another with HR. Mainly competence based, but also a few technical questions.

Interview Question – Example of when you encountered different objectives from client and how did you manage   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Location - not in central London; salary - not matching my expectations

Graduate Scheme-HR Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details online application-phone interview-technical interview-assessment centre. I received the phone interview in feb. 2014. The lady is quite easy going and the interview consisted of 2 parts. The first part is quite general, like your career goal, why BP, why HR. The second part was competencies based interview, asked examples about your team work, etc. and I was required to describe it in details.

Interview Question – three examples about team work   Answer Question

Geoscience Internship Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details Completed standard application and online tests. Telephone interview was straight forward, followed by a technical interview in Aberdeen. Had assessment centre 2 weeks later, which was very challenging but overall a valuable experience. This involved both individual and group exercises.

Interview Question – When have you helped someone?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BP in February 2014.

Interview Details First communication was great and very professional. Interview was well thought through and there was a panel attending to watch my case study presentation. Staff were polite and seem to be very nice people.
However, they require far to many papers to be filled out, which I later found out was all directed at legally protecting the company in all and every way possible in the future from you the employee. Be warned there is also some very strange third party background checking company they insist on using. You sign a paper to this effect or you dont get the job. These third party companies were at times very unprofessional and rude. This destroyed the entire what was at first pleasant recruitment process at BP.

Interview Question – Are you aggressive?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Far to mysterious and odd for my liking. They ask allot of deep personal questions which are totally pointless to the job specifications. High turnover of employees and mysterious disappearances of former staff. Gave me the impression I was joining a criminal gang. Never experienced such low human rights culture in my entire life.

Instruments & Controls Engineer Interview

Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BP in January 2013.

Interview Details The process was not too bad in general, although they could have made me comfortable by not having the interview as long as they did. I would prefer that they dont stretch the interview whereby it becomes too onerous for the interviewee.

Interview Question – Any reservations about the company. Obviously Gulf of Mexico event was substantial and it's bound to make people think.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BP in January 2014.

Interview Details Completed online forms, online tests, a telephone interview with HR and a technical interview with an engineer from the discipline. I used a very personal experience of safety for my online form which I was later told was an excellent example of how important this value was to me. My telephone interview I had prepared well for but had a few unexpected questions. For example, name a time you helped someone else in their personal development. I had been a mentor in University so I quickly used this example. My technical interview was 1.5hrs and I was shown a picture and asked to speak about potential issues. I was then asked about certain aspects in more detail such a pressure drop, viscosity of fluids, inspection processes and how I would overcome challenges that I had identified.

Interview Question – How would you calculate the pressure drop? Name a time you helped someone else with their personal development.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer

Interviewed at BP

Interview Details Applied online; process was fairly quick. I first had a telephone interview with HR, pretty standard competency. This was followed by a technical interview in Aberdeen. Asked me about university experience, then onto scenario based questions about wells, drilling and drilling fluids etc. Looked like they had about 5 or 6 scenarios to choose from but only gave 2.

Interview Question – I wasn't sure what to expect generally over complicated technical aspects when they were actually looking for much simpler answer relating to basic mechanics.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at BP

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BP interview questions and advice. All 333 interview reviews are posted anonymously by BP employees and interview candidates.