BP Interview Questions & Reviews

357 interviews

3.3

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

interviewed at BP in February 2014.

Online application, numerical test and verbal reasoning test, phone interview, face to face interview at the business park and assessment centre. The process took about 3 months. The face to face interview involves classic questions like why BP, why this role and about the projects I was involved in. Then there were case studies to do with project management.

Interview Questions
    • Case study questions to do with how to manage projects when there is an unexpected event e.g. the neighbours are unhappy with the drilling site due to the noise it creates, what can you do? or if there is not enough production facility what do you?   Answer Question

Sales & Integrated Trading Spring Insight Week Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP in March 2014.

After filling out the application form I was contacted for a final round telephone interview. Most of the questions on the online application seemed generic and not company specific although they did have one question related to their 5 core values (you had to give an example of atleast one situation when you've used/applied one or more of these values in everyday life).

Process Engineer Interview

There was a number of stages which had to be completed however BP was very efficient in the way that these were carried out. From receiving an invitation for online tests to receiving an offer only took two weeks. Overall I would say it was the best recruiting experience I have had thus far.

Commercial IST Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

interviewed at BP in January 2014.

Went through the standard initial screening of CV and questions. Got to the phone interview where it was a competency based interview. Standard questions for you to display your qualities and personality through examples. The next stage was a one on one technical interview in Canary Wharf where you would be given case studies in which you talk and reason your decisions to the accessor. The final stage is the assessment centre. There were about 11 of us half from the IST commercial stream, half from the IST analytics stream. The first segment was a group discussion about a case study and there would be a panel acessing the group dynamics and also the individual performance. The next segment was a one on one business case presentation, that lasts roughly for 45mins. The last segment was the group discussion again.

Pipeline Engineer Interview

Online Tests- Maths and English
    Telephone Interview - Company core competencies, how do you manage your time? What tools do you use?
    Face-To-Face Interview - Research the company and topic area, held in Aberdeen all expenses paid
    Assessment Centre - Be yourself, individual test on a case study and two group case studies.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me where the pressures, high and low, would be on this pipeline   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Reading, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at BP in May 2014.

Applied online and got a reply 2 weeks later asking for me to come in for an interview. I went in and spent maybe 30 mins filling out some paperwork and also received a small test paper. After this i had maybe a 10-15 minute interview/chat with the hiring manager where they asked me some basic questions + "what would i do if" stuff. They were very good with answering any questions i had and explained in lots of detail. After the interview i was told they'd get back to me that very afternoon, 2 hours later they phoned to offer me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing overly difficult, asked the usual questions "Tell me about yourself?", "Why did you apply for this company?" also asked some questions regarding what i'd do in certain situations, For example a customer complains about a product, someone holds a gun up to you, a staff member doing something unsafe.   Answer Question

Graduate Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Sunbury, England
    Anonymous Employee in Sunbury, England

I interviewed online - interviewed at BP.

Applied online, followed by online tests, telephone interview and a technical interview at their Sunbury office. The process is quick.
    For telephone interview, basic competency questions.
    For technical interview, two case studies, testing basic knowledge.

Backbone PMO Global Change Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BP in December 2011.

face to face with several team members, However also person question as well as job specific questions. BP think it is very important you fit in with the team so like to know a little bit about you.

Interview Questions
    • Normal questions but they do like to make you think about other processes as they combine roles and move people once your in   Answer Question
    Very good and swift process, If they like you they come for you, They tend to stick to budgets so if your not happy with the initail offer they may find someone who is.

Senior PSCM Specialist Interview

Long and extensive interview that took place face to face with two mangers and detailed questions were asked about all the previous job experience. Practical examples from previous experience to demonstrate competency were asked.

Human Resources Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at BP in February 2014.

Although BP's selection process consists of many stages and is not an easy one, it is a pleasant journey to take. When I submitted my application, I had to fill in some initial screening questions, which aim to check the applicant's education, grades and availability to work in the UK. In the second stage I had to answer some more graduate schemish questions regarding my past experience and my future goals. After I passed this stage, I was invited to sit for verbal and numerical online tests. In my opinion, BP's tests are more reasonable and may be easier in comparison to others. After the online tests, I went through a telephone, competency-based interview. I would say that this interview was thorough as well as challenging, because of its fast pace and its wide variety of questions. The candidate has to be well-prepared to make it through. Afterwards, I was invited to an in-site, technical interview, where I faced two business scenarios. At this stage, the candidate should review her/is university books (this is if the position you apply for is relevant to your degree) and conduct some research around the oil and gas industry and around BP. Also, having some frameworks in your mind (STEEPLE, SWOT etc.) is always helpful. Lastly, I went to an in-site assessment centre. The other applicants and I had to do three tasks (two group and one individual). All tasks were relevant to the industry and the job and not generic. Researching assessment centre tasks, such as group discussions, by reading articles and watching youtube videos is pretty helpful in the sense that you can get a feeling of the real thing and create your strategy beforehand. Also, while performing the tasks, one should pay close attention to the competences that BP asks from its grads, as well as to BP's values!
    Overall, as a candidate and an HR practitioner, I strongly believe that BP's selection process is sophisticated and successful for the following reasons. Firstly, the candidate feels more and more interested in the industry, the company and the job during the selection process. Secondly, the candidate feels a respected and valued individual during the process, as it is well-organised (e.g. the online 'candidate zone' that includes a lot of useful info and a personal contact from BP) and quick (in comparison to other grad schemes). Also, I have to mention that everyone from BP is very nice and polite to the candidate at all stages. Lastly, I think that all the tasks are revenant to the job, as they are not generic, but they assess specific and job-related skills and competences.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. If you are well-prepared to face a challenging competency-based interview and knowledgable about the technical skills that your role requires, you should be ok. A scenario you could face at the technical assessment is 'what would you do as an HR manager at BP if we went into a new country or acquired a company and you were in charge.'   View Answer
    No negotiation since it is a Grad Scheme.

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!