BP

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BP in January 2012.

Interview Details Asked questions on exothermic reactions and how to avoid runaway reactions; Hazop study; how pumps and compressors work.
Spoke a lot about my extracurricular activities.

Interview Question – Causes of damage to pump   Answer Question

London, England

The process took 2 days - interviewed at BP in February 2012.

Interview Details Personal Interview, Technical Interview, Group problem-solving, Case Study and Presenting decision on case study.

Interview Question – Interviewer showed me a PID (Process and instrumentation diagram) and was asked to explain it.   Answer Question

Process Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BP in October 2013.

Interview Details I went to their info session. Then I saw them at the career fair. They contacted me a week later to set up an interview. Interview was over an hour long and included a personal (STAR format) section and then a technical section.

Interview Question – Draw out and explain a hydrotreater operation   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Another offer

Pullman, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BP in October 2012.

Interview Details BP came to my college campus for a career fair and conducted interviews following the career fair. The interview starts off with personal questions that range from what you are most proud of to give an example of when you set your sights to high or failed at something. The interview was really straight forward and laid back. The second half of the interview consisted of a technical question to see how well you could think on your feet. My question involved a pipeline that went from a location inland to offshore, that had to travel over a mountain and into a valley.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question for me was having to apply equations to the technical question. BP asked me if I knew any equations for what was happening inside the pipeline.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BP.

Interview Details I submitted my application online. A few weeks later, I received a phone call to setup an interview. The interview took 6 hours and consisted of a behavioral interview, technical interview, lunch, and a refinery tour. They had one more week of interviews after mine, and I received an offer the very next Monday after they had finished.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to work with a diverse group of people   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, the offer was far beyond what I expected.

Toledo, OH (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at BP in November 2009.

Interview Details Got a call about having an on-site interview, I worked in the industry so they didn't ask for a phone interview. They payed for my gas and lodgings. Got to the site early in the morning, had a small tour of the office, then got right down to the interviews. Interviewed with the two guys who would be my bosses, lots of situation questions. Then I had a skills review with two of the engineers. Lots of how does a tower run, what would you do if your plant wasn't operating well question. Overall, nice people.

Interview Question – Why haven't you gotten a job in this economy?   Answer Question

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!