Bain & Company

Updated 19 Nov 2014
Updated 19 Nov 2014

3.7

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in September 2014.

Applied via website with current employee's referral. Got invited to 1st round interview within the next 2 weeks, and interviewed 6 weeks after the email arrived.

1st round: 2 45-minute interviews, very brief fit questions followed by case. Had significant guidance from interviewer, and overall the difficulty was ok.

Interview Questions
    • I was approximating in a calculation and was asked to be completely precise.   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

I was in contact with Bain & Company through a headhunter that provided really good service. I was suprised that the two interviews that I had with Bain & Company were really badly organised and lacked a clear structure. The interview process didn't convince me at all.

Interview Questions
    • Related to quantitative and qualitative research methods and research tools.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Applied online (CV and cover letter) in mid December. First round in mid January, consisting of 2 x 30 minute interviews, one with a senior associate consultant and the other with a consultant. Second round 2/3 days after the first round, one interview with a principal lasting 30 minutes.

First round:
    Tell me about yourself.
    Why Bain?
    Estimate the Indian tyre market size.
    Your client wants to enter Indian market, which segment should it target?

Second round:
    We are a company who wants to decide on whether to specialise in Android or iPhone apps. How would you choose?
    Why this office?
    Why did you apply to investment banking (on my CV)?

Interview Questions
    • Your friend wants to start a gym. Help him establish how many customers he needs to attract to break even.   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

First round interview consisted of two cases, which were pretty straightforward. Friendly, supportive interviewers. Second round consisted of a written case, which was very time-sensitive; focus on the top-line answers even if they don't make complete sense rather than trying to drill into the detail. 3 other cases in the 2nd round, which was pretty straightforward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Applied through the website, received an invitation to take the maths test and then an offer for first round interview. The first round interview consisted of one market sizing case and one broader case concerning a specific industry. The market sizing question was about a common industry that one would be familiar with. However, once I had come up with my answer I was asked to summarise it and basically give the '30 second CEO chat', which threw me a bit as I'm used to there being several data points that you can use to make an insightful recommendation, rather than just going through exactly the process I used. It's very difficult to make a recommendation when you're simply reiterating, 'And so, the size of market X is Y dollars per year'.

Interview Questions
    • They were fairly straight forward questions, some basic competency questions, and then an exploration of how you would grow revenue for a company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

CV and Cover letter, then online test, 1st round interview, 2nd round interviews.
    I think getting through the CV and cover letter stage is the hardest, obviously get yourself to an event will probably up your chances. The online test and 1st round are fine if you are prepared. The 2nd round written case is about time management and presentation skills. The actual cases in the second round are interviewer led, with brainstorming parts featuring quite heavily in mine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Started with an online maths/logical reasoning test. First round was straightfoward - market sizing and a business case. Second round was much tougher - two challenging business cases and the written/presentation case. In the written/presentation case, you are provided with a wad of documents and ~30 min to complete some analysis and slides. All interviewers and recruiting people were extremely friendly - you got the feeling that they really wanted you to be successful.

Interview Questions
    • What other companies have you applied for, what offers do you already have? (asked by all three interviewers in the final round)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

interviewed at Bain & Company in December 2013.

Online (CV, cover letter) --online numerical reasoning test -- 1st round -- 2nd round

Interview Questions
    • Online test, conventional numerical reasoning test. Graphs, figures, tables, and calculation. No surprises.

1st round, with two associate consultants

one market sizing with competency questions. Quick calculation
      One case, profitability, framework applied. Very straightforward .
      They would call you to give you feedback if you are selected.

2nd round, with managers and partners

one written case, 35 minutes self preparation, you need to read 2 pages of instruction, 18pages of information (graph, newspaper articles), afterwards, fill in 4 slides (1 general, 1 action, 1 table for calculation and make one graph, and finally make recommendations). And then 35 minutes with interviewer, go through the case. If I had to do it again, I would work on the calculations first and finish the table and figures.

Two business cases with competency questions. Easy case, no tricky questions.

Generally, don't expect the case to be like as structured as you would see in case books. You don't have to write down any structure, or maybe don't need to write down anything. It is really more about having a business solving conversation. About calculation, be flexible.

The office was very nice and cosy, good central location, a lot of Coffee shops to have lunch. HR were nice. Final round interviewees were invited to a dinner in a pretty good restaurant. Well, I have to say they really make effort during the whole selection process.
        Answer Question

Consultant (First Year) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company in December 2013.

Applied online and did an online test. Received an invite to first round interview about a week after. I had 2 30-minute interviews, with 10 minutes of CV stuff in the first interview followed by a short business case and a full 30-minute business case in the second interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in November 2013.

Overall a great experience despite not making it through first round. Two interviews, first one a market estimation case and then competency/personality questions. Second was with a Manager and was a business case, with maths and data analysis.

Interview Questions
    • Calculate the size of the disposable nappy market in the UK   Answer Question