Bain & Company

Updated 21 Jan 2015
Updated 21 Jan 2015

3.7

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Maths test, first round (1 market sizing and 1 case) and final round (2 cases and 1 written case). All 6 interviewers that I had were incredibly friendly and supportive, in contrast with the popular 'stress test' that I heard about. The cases themselves were very interesting, which were often based on real life client engagements. I had cases about renewable energy, oil & gas, retail, restaurants and sports club. From my experience with other firms, the cases at Bain require much more analytical rigour. I would recommend candidates practise drawing insights from graphs and charts.

Interview Questions
    • Time constraints with regards to the written case study   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate - I was very happy with the overall package. Many great events are lined up for offerees to convince us to join the team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company.

submitted online application - then invited to interview - two interviews on one day- market sizing and business case by two different people- one associate consultant and one consultant

Interview Questions
    • profit/loss based and straight forward market sizing question   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company in November 2014.

CV and cover letter, then online tests. First round interview day in London: two 45 minute interviews. First was CV-based, with two ACs, and some market sizing questions. Second was very numerical, dozens of mental maths questions off-the-cuff, and business evaluation. I read Case in Point which was vaguely helpful, but the questions didn't fit any framework - they've read it too and deliberately make up questions you can't memorise answers for. Read Case in Point anyway, because there are some concepts they asked me about (e.g. define value for a business) that you'd need the business experience for. The guys in the first interview was nice, but I fell apart in the second one with two post-MBA interviewers. They weren't unpleasant, but they constantly push you for answers and the standard they expect is extremely high. Lots of people applying for AC were postgraduates or had some experience in interview - your average 21 year old would really struggle in that interview. Of course, they're not looking for average, they're looking for really bright and analytical prepared people who can go and advise company directors.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a supply chain for a company.

Loads of quick-fire mental maths questions. Percentages of numbers, multiplication and division of 4 digit numbers, division by decimals. Be able to do these smoothly.

Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in September 2014.

Applied via website with current employee's referral. Got invited to 1st round interview within the next 2 weeks, and interviewed 6 weeks after the email arrived.

1st round: 2 45-minute interviews, very brief fit questions followed by case. Had significant guidance from interviewer, and overall the difficulty was ok.

Interview Questions
    • I was approximating in a calculation and was asked to be completely precise.   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

I was in contact with Bain & Company through a headhunter that provided really good service. I was suprised that the two interviews that I had with Bain & Company were really badly organised and lacked a clear structure. The interview process didn't convince me at all.

Interview Questions
    • Related to quantitative and qualitative research methods and research tools.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Applied online (CV and cover letter) in mid December. First round in mid January, consisting of 2 x 30 minute interviews, one with a senior associate consultant and the other with a consultant. Second round 2/3 days after the first round, one interview with a principal lasting 30 minutes.

First round:
    Tell me about yourself.
    Why Bain?
    Estimate the Indian tyre market size.
    Your client wants to enter Indian market, which segment should it target?

Second round:
    We are a company who wants to decide on whether to specialise in Android or iPhone apps. How would you choose?
    Why this office?
    Why did you apply to investment banking (on my CV)?

Interview Questions
    • Your friend wants to start a gym. Help him establish how many customers he needs to attract to break even.   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

First round interview consisted of two cases, which were pretty straightforward. Friendly, supportive interviewers. Second round consisted of a written case, which was very time-sensitive; focus on the top-line answers even if they don't make complete sense rather than trying to drill into the detail. 3 other cases in the 2nd round, which was pretty straightforward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Applied through the website, received an invitation to take the maths test and then an offer for first round interview. The first round interview consisted of one market sizing case and one broader case concerning a specific industry. The market sizing question was about a common industry that one would be familiar with. However, once I had come up with my answer I was asked to summarise it and basically give the '30 second CEO chat', which threw me a bit as I'm used to there being several data points that you can use to make an insightful recommendation, rather than just going through exactly the process I used. It's very difficult to make a recommendation when you're simply reiterating, 'And so, the size of market X is Y dollars per year'.

Interview Questions
    • They were fairly straight forward questions, some basic competency questions, and then an exploration of how you would grow revenue for a company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

CV and Cover letter, then online test, 1st round interview, 2nd round interviews.
    I think getting through the CV and cover letter stage is the hardest, obviously get yourself to an event will probably up your chances. The online test and 1st round are fine if you are prepared. The 2nd round written case is about time management and presentation skills. The actual cases in the second round are interviewer led, with brainstorming parts featuring quite heavily in mine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Started with an online maths/logical reasoning test. First round was straightfoward - market sizing and a business case. Second round was much tougher - two challenging business cases and the written/presentation case. In the written/presentation case, you are provided with a wad of documents and ~30 min to complete some analysis and slides. All interviewers and recruiting people were extremely friendly - you got the feeling that they really wanted you to be successful.

Interview Questions
    • What other companies have you applied for, what offers do you already have? (asked by all three interviewers in the final round)   Answer Question