Bain & Company

Average Difficulty
335 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details Applied online (CV and cover letter) in mid December. First round in mid January, consisting of 2 x 30 minute interviews, one with a senior associate consultant and the other with a consultant. Second round 2/3 days after the first round, one interview with a principal lasting 30 minutes.

First round:
Tell me about yourself.
Why Bain?
Estimate the Indian tyre market size.
Your client wants to enter Indian market, which segment should it target?

Second round:
We are a company who wants to decide on whether to specialise in Android or iPhone apps. How would you choose?
Why this office?
Why did you apply to investment banking (on my CV)?

Interview Question – Your friend wants to start a gym. Help him establish how many customers he needs to attract to break even.   View Answer

Graduate Scheme - Analyst Interview

Graduate Scheme - Analyst
London, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in July 2012.

Interview Details I was interviewed by two partners at their London offices. Each started with an informal and personal chat about my background and career ambitions and concluded with a case study (usually related to a project the partner had been involved in). Each round was about 45 minutes. Both partners were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• The first first case study was related to the auctioning of the 3G licenses in the UK.   View Answer
  • The second case study was about a school textbook producer. I can't remember the specifics, but involved giving advice to the client's CEO about the firm's strategy.   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Researcher
London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details I was in contact with Bain & Company through a headhunter that provided really good service. I was suprised that the two interviews that I had with Bain & Company were really badly organised and lacked a clear structure. The interview process didn't convince me at all.

Interview Question – Related to quantitative and qualitative research methods and research tools.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
London, England

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details 2 rounds of interviews. First round only 2 cases, all "fit" questions were ice-breakers. No specific preperation needed. 2nd round included 2 case interviews and a fit-only 45 minute interview

Interview Question – In 2nd round fit interview, partner went through my CV line by line, and suggested a different job I should rather apply for based on my experience.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Got another offer

London, England

I interviewed at Bain & Company in December 2013.

Interview Details Online (CV, cover letter) --online numerical reasoning test -- 1st round -- 2nd round

Interview Question – Online test, conventional numerical reasoning test. Graphs, figures, tables, and calculation. No surprises.

1st round, with two associate consultants

one market sizing with competency questions. Quick calculation
One case, profitability, framework applied. Very straightforward .
They would call you to give you feedback if you are selected.

2nd round, with managers and partners

one written case, 35 minutes self preparation, you need to read 2 pages of instruction, 18pages of information (graph, newspaper articles), afterwards, fill in 4 slides (1 general, 1 action, 1 table for calculation and make one graph, and finally make recommendations). And then 35 minutes with interviewer, go through the case. If I had to do it again, I would work on the calculations first and finish the table and figures.

Two business cases with competency questions. Easy case, no tricky questions.

Generally, don't expect the case to be like as structured as you would see in case books. You don't have to write down any structure, or maybe don't need to write down anything. It is really more about having a business solving conversation. About calculation, be flexible.

The office was very nice and cosy, good central location, a lot of Coffee shops to have lunch. HR were nice. Final round interviewees were invited to a dinner in a pretty good restaurant. Well, I have to say they really make effort during the whole selection process.
  Answer Question

Consultant (First Year) Interview

Consultant (First Year)
London, England

I applied online - interviewed at Bain & Company in December 2013.

Interview Details Applied online and did an online test. Received an invite to first round interview about a week after. I had 2 30-minute interviews, with 10 minutes of CV stuff in the first interview followed by a short business case and a full 30-minute business case in the second interview.

Interview Question – Assessed the cost and benefits of the Olympics   Answer Question

London, England

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details Started with an online maths/logical reasoning test. First round was straightfoward - market sizing and a business case. Second round was much tougher - two challenging business cases and the written/presentation case. In the written/presentation case, you are provided with a wad of documents and ~30 min to complete some analysis and slides. All interviewers and recruiting people were extremely friendly - you got the feeling that they really wanted you to be successful.

Interview Question – What other companies have you applied for, what offers do you already have? (asked by all three interviewers in the final round)   Answer Question

London, England

Interview Details CV and Cover letter, then online test, 1st round interview, 2nd round interviews.
I think getting through the CV and cover letter stage is the hardest, obviously get yourself to an event will probably up your chances. The online test and 1st round are fine if you are prepared. The 2nd round written case is about time management and presentation skills. The actual cases in the second round are interviewer led, with brainstorming parts featuring quite heavily in mine.

Interview Question – Sales drivers for a high end beauty brand.   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2012.

Interview Details CV screening followed by an online test. Then two rounds of interviews which consists of two and three case interviews respectively.

Interview Question – A time where I was a leader and I had to tackle a conflict of interests   Answer Question

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details First round interview consisted of two cases, which were pretty straightforward. Friendly, supportive interviewers. Second round consisted of a written case, which was very time-sensitive; focus on the top-line answers even if they don't make complete sense rather than trying to drill into the detail. 3 other cases in the 2nd round, which was pretty straightforward.

Interview Question – The Written Case. Look for samples online.   Answer Question

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!