Baker Hughes

Average Difficulty
523 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview Details 2 day assessement centre and it goes on for quite a while, group exercises, line interview

Interview Question – None really difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in November 2013.

Interview Details Applied online and was selected for phone interview. Was given a 4 days to prepare the interview (plenty of time), they give a choice of time and date, interview took around 20 min.
Questions were:
1) Why do you want to work for baker hughes?
2)Tell me a time when you used your technical skills to solve a problem ?
3) What was your favourite subject of your MSc, (follow up question:) what did you do to learn more about this subject?
Was asked to complete and online English test (a requirement for foreigners).

4 days later was invited to participate Baker Hughes Experience (2 day assessment):

1st day: breakfast at 6am followed by individual presentation of all candidates and assessors (12 assessors for 19 candidates. Group task 1 - building a paper plane and presenting it. Group task 2 - building a drilling tower with straws and paper with time limit. Set of individual tests - mechanical, English and numerical. Individual interview with 6 of the assessors - 2 behavioural questions

2nd day: 6h30am. Group debate. Group presentation - pretending to be recruiters trying to sell the company to graduates. Final individual interview with the 12 assessors.

The assessment is intense, the assessors are always around even at breakfast, lunch and dinner engaging in conversation. If you reach this point your CV and degree count for nothing, its all about standing out ( in a reasonable, professional and well disposed manner). Have a prepared answer for all behavioural questions you can think of (strengths, why do you want to work with us, leadership situation, problem solving situation, etc etc..) I kind of messed up in my final interview, completely blanked out.

Didn't get the job, but got a thorough feedback about my performance!!

Feel free to ask any questions ans good Luck

Interview Question – Final interview with 12 assessors   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Technical Support Engineer
Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in June 2013.

Interview Details A competency based telephone interview with a question about motivations for Baker Hughes role. Found out about progress to next stage after a week.

The correspondence via email was very vague and no information is given about the two day assessment center.

DAY ONE: The tests were the same to those described for the graduate Field engineer roles. Mechanical assembly of something (hint: read numbers marked on components and set out in order on table and assemble fast - don't give up even if stuck), pH test using litmus paper, you just match colors to color on box, another test to check resistance on a resistor (hint: clip on crocodile clips to both ends and set resistor to milli ohms), a measurement test of a mechanical device (hint: make sure to set measuring device to zero).

Group exercise: make a mini oil rig - you have "fake" BH money to spend on either, tape, newspaper, sticks or straws. Try and buy your materials asap as they are limited. Also you need to stick to the design of oil rig shown on screen (you can pick one design from 3)

Day two: A group presentation on baker hughes, do not waffle or make up stuff as you will be questioned on it. hint: work well in a team and be pro-active. also, prepare flipchart asap.

A dilemma exercise, where you have 4/5 color cards correlating to different options to a scenario. these scenarios are what you would expect on an oil rig as a worker (i.e. safety concerns) - how you would react to it etc. Other issues to do with management etc. You then have to stand on one side of a room to people with a diff opinion to yours and argue a case. Hint: make sure you think of BH core values whilst making decisions.

You have these "mysterious" one question interviews, they could ask you stuff like what motivates you, what you expect from a job role etc and then you speak for as long as you can and they won't say anything (really weird).

OTHER

The HR team are very stuck up so if you really want the role just be as polite as possible. The response to emails leading to the event were very un-professional and they have not given anybody feedback despite emphasizing its importance on the day as you spend two whole days with them.

Interview Question – Be wary! a lot of the candidates I was with had contacts within the company (recent graduates/ family members) and a VERY good idea of what to expect on the two day assessment center which gave them a huge advantage. Gain as much info as possible before the event.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The company was very mysterious about the whole event, despite having many candidates at the event who knew exactly what was going on from internal contact. I was very appalled by the nature of the HR team, particularly the gentleman who ran the event and the lady who corresponded via email. Not had a good impression of the company what so ever. I have provided detailed info about the event so that none of you may be in any disadvantage on the assessment center.

Graduate Field Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Baker Hughes in May 2013.

Interview Details Applied online. Received email to confirm phone interview.

The interview lasted for half an hour, the lady was very polite and made me feel comfortable. She asked me 4 questions about working with difficult team mates, technical issue I had encountered, what did a field engineer do in first year, why Baker Hughes and personal goal that I had achieved. Evaluation still in progress.

Interview Question – I had prepared for the questions that were asked.   Answer Question

Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview Details 30 Mins telephone Interview. Questions were: What do I know about Baker Hughes?
Why do I want to work for them?
What motivates me?
History of Baker Hughes from 1900 onwards?
Favourite university module and why?
Name a time you had to work with someone difficult.
Give an example of a time when you had to solve a technical problem.
What are you likely to do in your first year as a graduate?
What are the core values of Baker Hughes?
Describe a time when you and another person had conflicting ideas. How did you resolve the matter?
Why should we hire you?
Name a goal that you created for yourself and how you accomplished it?
Why Field Engineering?

The telephone interview went really well. I had already prepared for most of these questions. Remember to relate your answer to the question explicitly. After 2 weeks they got back to me saying I am still under consideration. Another 4 weeks and I was asked to attend the Baker Hughes Experience in Aberdeen.

The experience was quite informative. They don't tell you anything about the activity you are about to do next. On day 1 there was: 1) Introductory presentation about yourself. 2) Talk from baker Hughes staff about the different product divisions of Baker Hughes, listen carefully. You will do a presentation on Baker Hughes as a company the next day! 3) Next there was a tour of the Baker Hughes facility, make sure to ask questions!. Afterwords there were 5 practical tests (pH meter, 2*mechanical assemblies, measurement test, electrical test). 4) A group activity where you build a mini oil rig. Remember to be yourself and that you are being assessed the whole time. The next day there is 1 more group activity on leadership and how to resolve issues. Don't be too outspoken and do not be too quite! Be friendly!

Top tip: Better product division description on their competitors website (Hali*ton!) - take it from there! Be prepared. Also, there is a group interview on day 1 and group interview on day 2 - be confident and do not give vague answers.

Interview Question – What product division would you like to work in?   View Answers (6)

Field Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Why do I want to work for them?
What motivates me?
History of Baker Hughes from 1900 onwards?
Favourite university module and why?
Name a time you had to work with someone difficult.
Give an example of a time when you had to solve a technical problem.
What are you likely to do in your first year as a graduate?
What are the core values of Baker Hughes?
Why should we hire you?
Name a goal that you created for yourself and how you accomplished it?
Why Field Engineering?

Interview Question – Tell me more about yourself
offshore or onshore?
  Answer Question

Graduate Field Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview Details They were very quick in getting back to me once i sent my application in online. I was called up to arrange a phone interview. Normal competency based questions.

Interview Question – What makes you want to work for Baker Hughes over other competitor companies such as Schlumberger etc..   Answer Question

Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Baker Hughes in November 2012.

Interview Details Applied online and answered initial questions. Asked to arrange a telephone interview within three days and now have been invited to a assessment centre.

Interview Question – Please describe a difficult situation at work and how you resolved it?   Answer Question

Logging Geologist Interview

Logging Geologist
Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in August 2012.

Interview Details I found the job advertised on the internet and gave them my details and CV etc. When they replied they asked me to write a cover letter to the Recruitment manager asking what i knew about Baker Hughes, why i wanted to work for them, what excites me about the position available etc. I made and sent of the cover letter on the same day and the next day i received a call saying that I will be considered and will have an over the phone interview.

About a week later I received an email with my interview time and my interview panels names. A week after that i had the interview with two interviewers.

They called pretty much on time and began calmly and put me at ease. They introduced themselves and explained the interview structure. This took about 5 minutes and after that the interview began.

They first asked what i knew about Baker Hughes, an answer which i had prepared from looking at their website.

They then asked what tasks do i expect to carry out day to day in the job.

The next questions were asked but are in no particular order;

Looking through your CV tell us examples of where you had to work in a team.

Name an example of a time when you were asked to do something unsafe in a working environment. How did you resolve the situation.

What motivates you?

Do you think you would have any problems with any aspects of the job.

Interview Question – None were particularly difficult as I had checked glass door and prepared every question for a whole week   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I received a call 4 days later from HR offering me the position, which i gladly accepted. I then needed to log onto an online portal and fill in personal details, and fill in a full criminal record background survey. I also had to attend a pre-employment Offshore UK medical with Drug and Alcohol screening, which i passed just moments before writing this review! I am now waiting to start my training in Norway on the 17th September!!

Edinburgh, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in January 2012.

Interview Details I had one phone interview where I was asked questions about my background and my current studies.

Interview Question – Question on crisis management   Answer Question

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!