Baker Hughes

Updated 23 Nov 2014
Updated 23 Nov 2014

2.9

Field Engineer I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Baker Hughes in November 2014.

Step 1: Webcam interview. 20 mins. 9 questions. Behavioural questions.

Called for BHE 5 weeks later in Aberdeen.

Day 1: Make a short presentation on yourself (name, education, hobbies, adjective and cartoon)
               Build a Rig team assignment
               Monitored at dinner
               Make a rap song about one of their product line

Day 2: Monitored at Breakfast
               Mayan Maths and English test
               5 tests (PH, multimeter, mechanical assembly and calliper test)
               2 on 1 interview
               FE presentation. Monitored again
               Class debate about different case studies
               Make a recruitment presentation about BH

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you?
      Mechanical issue you came across and how you dealt with it?
        View Answers (3)

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Baker Hughes.

I applied online and after few days received email for interview. It had all the info regarding the interview. 9 questions, and were the same as described in the previous posts.

Graduate Scheme Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Baker Hughes in November 2014.

Online application - very simple, I just filled in my details and uploaded a CV.
    Video interview - Bit awkward, 9 competency questions, recorded not live.
    Assessment centre - 2 half day. First day: 5pm to 10pm including dinner. Second day: 7am to 4.30pm.
    This consists of group exercise, 5 individual exercises, group presentation, group debate and an informal 1:1 interview/chat.

The tests/exercise were fun, I enjoyed playing around.

Wireline Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Baker Hughes.

2 day interview including, the main interview (10 interviewers at once), logic and numeracy tests and presentation. Quite friendly interviewers and very accommodating. The 2 days also include a walk around their base to see what they do as most people who applied (including me) did know much if anything about wireline. Interview organisers try to provide a relaxed atmosphere by including making paper aeroplanes and other silly games in the tasks.

Synthetic Chemist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Baker Hughes in August 2014.

Initial communication made by recruiter, had short phone screening then scheduled 1 hour interview the week after with HR manager and two R & D employees. Great interview, positive feedback. Had a tour round the site and met other members of the team. Didn't get an offer unfortunately, gave it to someone with more experience.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Baker Hughes.

2 day assessement centre and it goes on for quite a while, group exercises, line interview

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes in November 2013.

Applied online and was selected for phone interview. Was given a 4 days to prepare the interview (plenty of time), they give a choice of time and date, interview took around 20 min.
    Questions were:
    1) Why do you want to work for baker hughes?
    2)Tell me a time when you used your technical skills to solve a problem ?
    3) What was your favourite subject of your MSc, (follow up question:) what did you do to learn more about this subject?
    Was asked to complete and online English test (a requirement for foreigners).

4 days later was invited to participate Baker Hughes Experience (2 day assessment):

1st day: breakfast at 6am followed by individual presentation of all candidates and assessors (12 assessors for 19 candidates. Group task 1 - building a paper plane and presenting it. Group task 2 - building a drilling tower with straws and paper with time limit. Set of individual tests - mechanical, English and numerical. Individual interview with 6 of the assessors - 2 behavioural questions

2nd day: 6h30am. Group debate. Group presentation - pretending to be recruiters trying to sell the company to graduates. Final individual interview with the 12 assessors.

The assessment is intense, the assessors are always around even at breakfast, lunch and dinner engaging in conversation. If you reach this point your CV and degree count for nothing, its all about standing out ( in a reasonable, professional and well disposed manner). Have a prepared answer for all behavioural questions you can think of (strengths, why do you want to work with us, leadership situation, problem solving situation, etc etc..) I kind of messed up in my final interview, completely blanked out.

Didn't get the job, but got a thorough feedback about my performance!!

Feel free to ask any questions ans good Luck

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes in June 2013.

A competency based telephone interview with a question about motivations for Baker Hughes role. Found out about progress to next stage after a week.

The correspondence via email was very vague and no information is given about the two day assessment center.

DAY ONE: The tests were the same to those described for the graduate Field engineer roles. Mechanical assembly of something (hint: read numbers marked on components and set out in order on table and assemble fast - don't give up even if stuck), pH test using litmus paper, you just match colors to color on box, another test to check resistance on a resistor (hint: clip on crocodile clips to both ends and set resistor to milli ohms), a measurement test of a mechanical device (hint: make sure to set measuring device to zero).

Group exercise: make a mini oil rig - you have "fake" BH money to spend on either, tape, newspaper, sticks or straws. Try and buy your materials asap as they are limited. Also you need to stick to the design of oil rig shown on screen (you can pick one design from 3)

Day two: A group presentation on baker hughes, do not waffle or make up stuff as you will be questioned on it. hint: work well in a team and be pro-active. also, prepare flipchart asap.

A dilemma exercise, where you have 4/5 color cards correlating to different options to a scenario. these scenarios are what you would expect on an oil rig as a worker (i.e. safety concerns) - how you would react to it etc. Other issues to do with management etc. You then have to stand on one side of a room to people with a diff opinion to yours and argue a case. Hint: make sure you think of BH core values whilst making decisions.

You have these "mysterious" one question interviews, they could ask you stuff like what motivates you, what you expect from a job role etc and then you speak for as long as you can and they won't say anything (really weird).

OTHER

The HR team are very stuck up so if you really want the role just be as polite as possible. The response to emails leading to the event were very un-professional and they have not given anybody feedback despite emphasizing its importance on the day as you spend two whole days with them.

Interview Questions
    • Be wary! a lot of the candidates I was with had contacts within the company (recent graduates/ family members) and a VERY good idea of what to expect on the two day assessment center which gave them a huge advantage. Gain as much info as possible before the event.   Answer Question

The company was very mysterious about the whole event, despite having many candidates at the event who knew exactly what was going on from internal contact. I was very appalled by the nature of the HR team, particularly the gentleman who ran the event and the lady who corresponded via email. Not had a good impression of the company what so ever. I have provided detailed info about the event so that none of you may be in any disadvantage on the assessment center.

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Baker Hughes in May 2013.

Applied online. Received email to confirm phone interview.

The interview lasted for half an hour, the lady was very polite and made me feel comfortable. She asked me 4 questions about working with difficult team mates, technical issue I had encountered, what did a field engineer do in first year, why Baker Hughes and personal goal that I had achieved. Evaluation still in progress.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Baker Hughes.

30 Mins telephone Interview. Questions were: What do I know about Baker Hughes?
    Why do I want to work for them?
    What motivates me?
    History of Baker Hughes from 1900 onwards?
    Favourite university module and why?
    Name a time you had to work with someone difficult.
    Give an example of a time when you had to solve a technical problem.
    What are you likely to do in your first year as a graduate?
    What are the core values of Baker Hughes?
    Describe a time when you and another person had conflicting ideas. How did you resolve the matter?
    Why should we hire you?
    Name a goal that you created for yourself and how you accomplished it?
    Why Field Engineering?

The telephone interview went really well. I had already prepared for most of these questions. Remember to relate your answer to the question explicitly. After 2 weeks they got back to me saying I am still under consideration. Another 4 weeks and I was asked to attend the Baker Hughes Experience in Aberdeen.

The experience was quite informative. They don't tell you anything about the activity you are about to do next. On day 1 there was: 1) Introductory presentation about yourself. 2) Talk from baker Hughes staff about the different product divisions of Baker Hughes, listen carefully. You will do a presentation on Baker Hughes as a company the next day! 3) Next there was a tour of the Baker Hughes facility, make sure to ask questions!. Afterwords there were 5 practical tests (pH meter, 2*mechanical assemblies, measurement test, electrical test). 4) A group activity where you build a mini oil rig. Remember to be yourself and that you are being assessed the whole time. The next day there is 1 more group activity on leadership and how to resolve issues. Don't be too outspoken and do not be too quite! Be friendly!

Top tip: Better product division description on their competitors website (Hali*ton!) - take it from there! Be prepared. Also, there is a group interview on day 1 and group interview on day 2 - be confident and do not give vague answers.