Banana Republic

Updated 14 Dec 2014
Updated 14 Dec 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2014.

I filled in an online application for a stylist position and then heard back from them after 4/5 weeks for a sales associate role because they didn't have a stylist role available anymore. The guy on the phone asked me a few questions: Tell me a little about yourself? why banana republic? Just standard questions and then invited me to an assessment day the next day. There were only 7 of us all together, not including the manager who was assessing us, so it was really relaxed. They other candidates were friendly and easy to talk to. We were all applying for different job role, so we got paired up and were told to pick an outfit for a celebrity who we thought represents the brand. Then we had to present the outfit to the group and explain why we chose the items. After this the manager asked us we had any questions and that was it. Really simple process, was quick and easy.

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

It was straight forward. It was a group interview with 3 other people. Basic interview questions were asked. Then we were given 20 minutes to pick out 2 outfits. One for an older customer, and one for a younger below 25 customer. Since I'm a male I was asked to pick out for a male customer. After that we presented our outfits and we're asked why we chose our picks. I highly suggest learning about the history of the company and its relationship with gap when it was bought out to make others lackluster in comparison. Also, the current key people, and the type of style found in banana. Dress like you belong there so definitely look at the banana republic website to get an idea.

Interview Questions
    • Top 3 qualitues?
      What I know about the company?
      A basic description of myself including school and hobbies?
      Why banana republic?

View Answer
    I didn't negotiate because I was planning for 10 an hr and was offered 11.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beachwood, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beachwood, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic in December 2014.

I applied online and received an email the next day to schedule an interview on Tuesday. The interview was 1 on 1 and lasted about 25 minutes. The manager was very nice and urged me not to be nervous. He said he just wanted to have a casual conversation, get to know each other, and ask me questions that corporates make him ask all interview candidates. It was in a mall so we had the interview at a table by a coffee shop. He pretty much starts the interview by talking about the store, how many employees they have, etc. Since I had retail experience he asked me situational and behavioral questions. If you have retail and/or customer service experience the answers to these questions should come naturally.

They really want people who are positive and joyful. Make sure you show you are interested in what they are saying and chime in when they start to talk about the positives and accomplishments of the store, show interest. Remember all answers to the questions don't have to be work related answers, they can be related to school and life experiences too. After the interview he pretty much explained the goals of the employees, the pay, and what is expected of the position. He then said he would call if they decide to move forward with me. He had more people to interview.

BIG NOTE: Make sure you leave a good impression on the interviewer, be memorable because mine didn't take any notes or write anything down, and I've heard a lot of them do this at other stores. They jot down notes after the interview when you leave so you have to make sure you leave a good impression.

The next day (Wednesday) I received an email saying he would like to schedule a 15 minute phone interview for tomorrow. When he called it wasn't even an interview it was to tell me I got the job, confirm my availability, and that he was just waiting for the background check. Was a very positive experience.

The easiest questions he asked was
    Tell me about yourself.
    Where do you get your fashion inspiration from?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to work with a team to accomplish something   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a decision.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you influenced someone's decision.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to speak to a stranger. How did you initiate the conversation?   Answer Question
    • What made you choose to work retail instead of other service areas like restaurants, theaters, a bank, etc?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. 8.50 for seasonal but if they decide to keep me on it will go to 10.00

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Received a call a week or so after submitting my application from their hiring manager. She set up an interview that week with me. I had one 15 minute interview, very standard questions for a retail interview nothing unexpected really. I was told at the end of the interview that my application would be accepted pending a background check. I was called five days later to be told that everything had come back fine and that if I was still interested, training would be that Saturday.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I applied through Gap.com, selected stores I'd be interested in interviewing at, and was emailed a time I could have an interview. I went in for the interview with the manager and assistant manager, and was notified a week later that I received the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you measure our success as a store and its employees. [I think the question was slightly different than this, but that's to the best of my memory]   Answer Question
    They have a national standard rate for sales associates so I did not feel that I was in a position to negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I submitted my application online, and within a week, I was contacted about a group interview. The interview had 4 other candidates, the store's hiring manager, and the store manager. Most of the questions were behavioral. I heard back about the results within a week.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to go into the store, pick out an outfit for a type of customer, then explain my choices.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Initial contact is generally done by a lower ranking manager or supervisor with little to no training in HR. Initial interviews can range from one-on-ones to group interviews. A second interview is usually conducted with the lead hiring manager or general manager. The interviews are often feel sloppily scripted, there is a book that the interviewers read from and take questions from, often interjecting their own. The important thing to keep in mind HR functions are such a minimal part of all of these peoples jobs do not expect the most professional and polished interview. Be prepared to have a few success stories to tell because often talking about functional capabilities illudes these people.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked why would i leave this company after being hired   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach Lakes, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach Lakes, FL (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic.

group interviews , easy quick hiring process because it was a new store opening..they give no HOURS!!!! when its not in the season..easy questions, gave everyone an oppurtunity to answer if the wanted to..

Interview Questions
    • easy questions, gave everyone an oppurtunity to answer if the wanted to.   Answer Question
    asked if 8.50 was ok....but after working for 6 months the company changed all there workers to 9.00

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I called the store I wanted to work at and they said they were hiring so I applied online. After that about three days later I got a call back and they scheduled an interview. They had a 1:1 interview and also asked me to make two outfits: date night and work outfit.

Interview Questions
    Called me and asked if $9.25 was okay.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic in November 2014.

I applied online and two weeks later i received a call asking me to do a interview the next day. When i arrived there i waited a good 30 minutes with a group of people to do the interview. It was a group interview and very quick. The hiring manager was great. So down to earth and sweet. He liked everyone and it was a good vibe. So 4 weeks later i received a call asking me to come in and do new hire paperwork.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations because it was seasonal but she did say it goes up after the season.