Banana Republic

Updated 24 Nov 2014
Updated 24 Nov 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2014.

I filled in an online application for a stylist position and then heard back from them after 4/5 weeks for a sales associate role because they didn't have a stylist role available anymore. The guy on the phone asked me a few questions: Tell me a little about yourself? why banana republic? Just standard questions and then invited me to an assessment day the next day. There were only 7 of us all together, not including the manager who was assessing us, so it was really relaxed. They other candidates were friendly and easy to talk to. We were all applying for different job role, so we got paired up and were told to pick an outfit for a celebrity who we thought represents the brand. Then we had to present the outfit to the group and explain why we chose the items. After this the manager asked us we had any questions and that was it. Really simple process, was quick and easy.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I applied through Gap.com, selected stores I'd be interested in interviewing at, and was emailed a time I could have an interview. I went in for the interview with the manager and assistant manager, and was notified a week later that I received the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you measure our success as a store and its employees. [I think the question was slightly different than this, but that's to the best of my memory]   Answer Question
    They have a national standard rate for sales associates so I did not feel that I was in a position to negotiate.

Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Initial contact is generally done by a lower ranking manager or supervisor with little to no training in HR. Initial interviews can range from one-on-ones to group interviews. A second interview is usually conducted with the lead hiring manager or general manager. The interviews are often feel sloppily scripted, there is a book that the interviewers read from and take questions from, often interjecting their own. The important thing to keep in mind HR functions are such a minimal part of all of these peoples jobs do not expect the most professional and polished interview. Be prepared to have a few success stories to tell because often talking about functional capabilities illudes these people.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked why would i leave this company after being hired   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach Lakes, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach Lakes, FL (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic.

group interviews , easy quick hiring process because it was a new store opening..they give no HOURS!!!! when its not in the season..easy questions, gave everyone an oppurtunity to answer if the wanted to..

Interview Questions
    • easy questions, gave everyone an oppurtunity to answer if the wanted to.   Answer Question
    asked if 8.50 was ok....but after working for 6 months the company changed all there workers to 9.00

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I called the store I wanted to work at and they said they were hiring so I applied online. After that about three days later I got a call back and they scheduled an interview. They had a 1:1 interview and also asked me to make two outfits: date night and work outfit.

Interview Questions
    Called me and asked if $9.25 was okay.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I applied online. Almost 2 weeks later, I was invited to a group interview. Everyone was asked very general behavioral and background questions, including availability, what style means to you, and why Banana Republic. Then, a one on one interview followed 2 days later. Very simliar questions, only with a different store manager this time. Offer and acceptance over next two days (~ 3 week process). Extremely friendly interviewers and comfortable, outside interview environment.

Interview Questions
    • What piece of clothing most represents you and your style? Why? How would you sell that piece of clothing?   View Answer
    Non-negotiable salary. I did politely ask once offered the job.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I walked in my very first time into a Banana Republic and was greeted by one of the managers. I asked if they were hiring and she gave me a piece of paper on how to apply. I got an email like a day or two later asking if i was would like to come by on Monday for an interview. Once Monday rolled around and I was waiting for the interview to start we were told to look around the store (We had to wait for everyone to get there.) We then went down stairs and sat at a table. There was 3 others plus myself in the group interview. The manager didn't bring any paperwork to write down and the interview was very informal and more like a group conversation. I was not expecting that at all and it was very laid back and it didn't make me nervous. I then got a call a day or two later with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do you keep up with the latest fashion and trends?   Answer Question

Store Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Easy group interview with manager Julie Arellano, very friendly lady. There were 4 others . Asked easy questions about experience. And we were asked to put together an outfit. It was fun.

Interview Questions
    • Be willing to give the answers they want to hear. Do not seem uninterested   Answer Question

Sales Associate Part Time, Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic in October 2014.

Very friendly and relaxed interview. Group interview with two other candidates. Manager discussed the company values and the store itself. Was asked to talk about myself and asked "Why Banana Republoc?"

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for salary which is kind of upsetting considering the offer is pretty low. Beggars can't be choosers though.

Sales Associate Part Time, Seasonal Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in October 2014.

Received a call and asked me questions about my application. Asked about my hours and explained what i wanted and when i was available. Then asked if I could come in for an interview. The interview was ok but person was rude.

Interview Questions

pay too low and received a better offer elsewhere