Banana Republic

Average Difficulty
163 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2014.

Interview Details I filled in an online application for a stylist position and then heard back from them after 4/5 weeks for a sales associate role because they didn't have a stylist role available anymore. The guy on the phone asked me a few questions: Tell me a little about yourself? why banana republic? Just standard questions and then invited me to an assessment day the next day. There were only 7 of us all together, not including the manager who was assessing us, so it was really relaxed. They other candidates were friendly and easy to talk to. We were all applying for different job role, so we got paired up and were told to pick an outfit for a celebrity who we thought represents the brand. Then we had to present the outfit to the group and explain why we chose the items. After this the manager asked us we had any questions and that was it. Really simple process, was quick and easy.

Interview Question – Why banana republic?   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2013.

Interview Details The interview was okay, straight forward and to the point. I came in, they asked me some questions and then talked to me about the company. A lot of the interview was the interviewer explaining the differences between BR and other retail companies. Overall, the interview process was relatively painless.

Interview Question – What did you have for breakfast?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2012.

Interview Details Interview with hiring manager and general manager. Offered job within 2 weeks. They asked questions such as a time where you received both good and bad customer service. They wanted to know how you would have handled the bad situation differently.

Interview Question – all basic best and worst experience type questions   Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

Interview Details It was a very short half hour interview. It was me and another girl. We both looked very professional and sat upright. The manager of the store asked us simple questions, "Tell me about yourself, what makes you think you're qualified for the job, what past experiences have made you think you can qualify" and simple things like that. I just made sure to do some research on the company incase they asked us about our thoughts on it. Which they did. Just opinion stuff, nothing about trivia.

Interview Question – "What does Banana Republic mean to you?"
"What does style mean to you?"
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They immediately offered me a $10 hourly pay despite this being my first job ever.

Stony Point, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied online to Banana Republic and Gap about 1.5-2 months before I heard anything back, so I was a bit surprised when I received an email inviting me to a group interview. Usually I dislike group interviews, but there were only two other girls in the interview, along with two managers, so it felt more like a conversation than an interview. Definitely one of the more laid back interviews I've ever had. The main hiring manager was very honest and talkative, so that helped break the ice a little bit. The interview lasted probably an hour. The manager said we would receive a phone call within the next day which was very reassuring.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were fairly standard. The one that was the most difficult to answer, I guess, would be "Why did you choose Banana Republic over other places?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not attempt to negotiate, but it seemed as if negotiation was possible.

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and Store manager called me after about 2 weeks. She asked me if I am still interested and my availability, if I can work in early morning shift sometimes (around 5 a.m) and set a time for interview in 2 days. The interview was one-to-one and took around 1hour including general questions, situational questions and role play. After the interview she asked for my references. They call me one week after interview and offer me the job.

Interview Question – - What did u like and do not like about your last two jobs? (separate)
- Why banana public?
- Tell me a situation that you help other people initiative.
- When were you given a task with little or no direction and what did you do?
- Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.
- What is the process of making decision for you.
- Where do you get your fashion inspiration?
- Tell me a time when you initiated a conversation with a stranger?
- What did you like and do not like in your past 2 previous time?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – nonnegotiable.

Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2013.

Interview Details You can apply online, submit your application, and expect to be called in about a week if you receive an interview. The interview takes place with a group with a store lead at the head of the discussion. The group interview may seem intimidating at first, but the interview is very informal and conversational.

Interview Question – When was a time that you turned a negative situation into a positive situation in a past job?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2012.

Interview Details I applied online, as well as called and introduced myself to the manager. She called me soon after to ask about an interview. She did not mention that the interview was a group interview, with myself and one other girl present. The questions weren't that difficult: mostly about what part of the job I thought was the most important one, how I would balance organizing the store with offering customer support, etc.

Interview Question – How would you respond to a really rude customer?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and got a call a couple days later. I scheduled an in-person interview with the hiring manager. It took about 15-20 minutes. He had basic questions about my work experience, background, what I liked about the brand, etc. He said there is usually a second interview but their general manager was gone for the week so we skipped that and just did the in-person interview. I heard back by the end of the week.

Interview Question – Where do you get your fashion inspiration?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I decided that retail wasn't really what I was interested in doing at that point.

Scarsdale, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details One in person, group interview, by which managers and other associates analyzed speaking competance as well as ability to determine proper dress attire for both the workplace and the customer.

Interview Question – All behavioral questions related to previous team oriented experience and communication skills (both positive a negative experiences e.g. how to handle upset customer)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nonnegotiable for entry level position.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!