Banana Republic

Average Difficulty
167 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2014.

Interview Details I filled in an online application for a stylist position and then heard back from them after 4/5 weeks for a sales associate role because they didn't have a stylist role available anymore. The guy on the phone asked me a few questions: Tell me a little about yourself? why banana republic? Just standard questions and then invited me to an assessment day the next day. There were only 7 of us all together, not including the manager who was assessing us, so it was really relaxed. They other candidates were friendly and easy to talk to. We were all applying for different job role, so we got paired up and were told to pick an outfit for a celebrity who we thought represents the brand. Then we had to present the outfit to the group and explain why we chose the items. After this the manager asked us we had any questions and that was it. Really simple process, was quick and easy.

Interview Question – Why banana republic?   Answer Question

Aurora, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and got a call back in about 2 weeks. Had a very laid back, one-on-one interview with one of the managers who was super friendly and fun to talk to. The interview lasted about half an hour. Then I had to do an activity where I was on the floor and had to put together an outfit for a pretend customer. It was nothing to worry about, just a simple exercise to see how well you can interact with customers. I got a call back and was offered the position about 4 days after my interview.

Interview Question – General interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2011.

Interview Details I applied online and got an interview within a week after applying. I thought the interview process would've been one on one. It wasn't. It was a group interview, and one almost had to be aggressive to get noticed. I received an offer less than a week after the interview.

Interview Question – What are the main expectations of the store?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no room for negotiation.

San Diego, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and the process took 2 weeks to get a call back from the hiring manager. There were two interviews with two different managers who asked your run of the mill questions - both situational and behavioral. I got a phone call a week later with an offer. From there, it took another 2 weeks to go through training before I could work on the sales floor. Don't worry, you will get paid for training.

Negotiation Details – The manager asked about my salary requirement. I said $13/hr. She said that the best she could offer me was $9.50 due to declines in revenue from the last few years. I accepted out of desperation. I was making more 10 years ago at my first retail job...

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

Interview Details This was one of the most disorganized interview processes I've ever been through. I applied online and got a call 2 or 3 days later asking for me to come in for an interview, which I did. It went well, was quite easy, and the interviewer seemed to hint that all that was left for me to be hired was logistical stuff, and that he would contact me in a few days to set up training. 2 weeks later, I hadn't heard anything so I called him and asked. He gave some excuse about management, and said he still wanted to move forward, he'd call me in a few days. Another 3 weeks- nothing. Finally, over a month after I'd originally applied, he offered me the job and said he wanted me to come in for an orientation the next day, which I couldn't make on such short notice, so he said he'd call back the next week with a different orientation time. That was almost a month ago, I never heard back. At that point, I gave up. If they were this disorganized, it wasn't somewhere I wanted to work.

Interview Question – How do you work in a team setting?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The process was incredibly disorganized and handled unprofessionally.

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2013.

Interview Details The interview was okay, straight forward and to the point. I came in, they asked me some questions and then talked to me about the company. A lot of the interview was the interviewer explaining the differences between BR and other retail companies. Overall, the interview process was relatively painless.

Interview Question – What did you have for breakfast?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2012.

Interview Details Interview with hiring manager and general manager. Offered job within 2 weeks. They asked questions such as a time where you received both good and bad customer service. They wanted to know how you would have handled the bad situation differently.

Interview Question – all basic best and worst experience type questions   Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

Interview Details It was a very short half hour interview. It was me and another girl. We both looked very professional and sat upright. The manager of the store asked us simple questions, "Tell me about yourself, what makes you think you're qualified for the job, what past experiences have made you think you can qualify" and simple things like that. I just made sure to do some research on the company incase they asked us about our thoughts on it. Which they did. Just opinion stuff, nothing about trivia.

Interview Question – "What does Banana Republic mean to you?"
"What does style mean to you?"
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They immediately offered me a $10 hourly pay despite this being my first job ever.

Stony Point, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied online to Banana Republic and Gap about 1.5-2 months before I heard anything back, so I was a bit surprised when I received an email inviting me to a group interview. Usually I dislike group interviews, but there were only two other girls in the interview, along with two managers, so it felt more like a conversation than an interview. Definitely one of the more laid back interviews I've ever had. The main hiring manager was very honest and talkative, so that helped break the ice a little bit. The interview lasted probably an hour. The manager said we would receive a phone call within the next day which was very reassuring.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were fairly standard. The one that was the most difficult to answer, I guess, would be "Why did you choose Banana Republic over other places?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not attempt to negotiate, but it seemed as if negotiation was possible.

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and Store manager called me after about 2 weeks. She asked me if I am still interested and my availability, if I can work in early morning shift sometimes (around 5 a.m) and set a time for interview in 2 days. The interview was one-to-one and took around 1hour including general questions, situational questions and role play. After the interview she asked for my references. They call me one week after interview and offer me the job.

Interview Question – - What did u like and do not like about your last two jobs? (separate)
- Why banana public?
- Tell me a situation that you help other people initiative.
- When were you given a task with little or no direction and what did you do?
- Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.
- What is the process of making decision for you.
- Where do you get your fashion inspiration?
- Tell me a time when you initiated a conversation with a stranger?
- What did you like and do not like in your past 2 previous time?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – nonnegotiable.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!