Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated 18 Oct 2014
Updated 18 Oct 2014

2.2

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview was easy in my opinion. They first start off with a phone interview just getting to know you and then invite you for a face to face interview. It was a 1 on 1 interview and asked simple questions. Basically they ask about your work experience and ask what kind of books are you into and why you decided to apply for the position

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions. They were typical interview questions   Answer Question

Cafe Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Very friendly, personable, and interesting interviewer. They asked basic interview questions such as, give a time etc and describe an attribute about your self etc. If you're friendly, well dressed, and you speak well you should be able to get the job. Most employers won't interview you if they haven't already considered hiring you.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview was very relaxed and I had no reason to be nervous. The questions were standard interview questions (tell me about a time when...) I had one interview with the store manager and it lasted about 20 minutes. Manager was great and made the experience very positive for me. She was generally interested in getting to know me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you made a mistake at work and what were the consequences.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Cafe Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aliso Viejo, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aliso Viejo, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

There was only one interview for me and it was a group interview. You should be totally chill during this interview. For me it was like I was talking to a bunch a friends. After that you should receive a call from the manager of the store and he/she will talk to you over the phone. It was a fairly simple process and very fun to go through.

Interview Questions
    • In your previous job how did you deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied to pretty much EVERY Barnes and Noble within 50 miles. I called the closest one near me, feeling like I was bugging, I talked to a manager, he said they arent going through apps until next week and will call if they like my app. I recieved a call later that night from a female asking some questions over the phone such as...why do enjoy working in customer service, why did you chose barnes and noble, and then they said they are holding interviews and wanted me to go! I am a huge booklover so I was stoked! Met the lady I was interviewing with, she honestly made the interview so chill and relaxing, we ended up going off topic and talking about random things! She did ask me the standard questions that were on her paper such as if I have ever got into any conflict with a coworker and how did I handle it...have I ever worked during the holidays, what books I read, favorite author. If you are a book lover the answers will come easy to you.

Interview Questions
    • If I have ever had conflict with a coworker and how I handled it?   View Answer
    They didn't even ask, they just said you're hired! I am sure it's minimum wage and read on here there is no negotiating.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

In the summer of 2013, I filled out the online application (there were openings listed for the store I applied at) and I was called a few days later by a merchandise manager. I met with her about a week after I applied and had an interview in the store cafe. The questions I was asked in this interview were mainly about how I would handle certain situations, what experience I had, and there were also a few questions about what books I liked and whether I knew about Nook. A few days later, the same manager left a message on my phone asking me to come back for another interview with somebody else. About a week after my first interview, I met with an assistant store manager in the cafe. Her questions were different from my first interview, and they mainly focused on what my availability was and if I had reliable transportation. A couple days later, the store manager called to tell me that they were changing the policy on background checks for juveniles (I was 17 at the time) and that I would probably get a call in a few days from one of the managers who had interviewed me. During this time, both managers that I interviewed with called my references. The next Sunday, the second manager called and asked me if I could start on Wednesday. I was hired!

About a year later, I was moving across the country to go to college, and I filled out a transfer application (also online, but transfer applications must be done on store computers). About a week later, I received a phone call from an assistant manager asking if I was still interested. When I said yes, he said that I would be hired as long as my current manager approved. A few days later, the store manager left a message on my phone saying that she had spoken to my old manager, and that I was approved for the transfer.

The only problem with transfers is that pay is mainly based on location and is often set by corporate. When I transferred, I took a pay cut, but the new manager put in a good word for me and the pay cut wasn't as much. She also gave me a raise after my first performance interview at the new store.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with our line of Nook products, and would you be comfortable talking to customers about their benefits?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a situation when a customer presented an issue and you worked with them to solve it.   Answer Question
    • If somebody asked you about a book you had never heard of, what would you do? Assume you only have a minute, or they will get impatient.   Answer Question
    They start their pay based on experience, and I was offered minimum wage since this was my first job. About six months later, minimum wage was raised in my state, but I received a little more than that. I had a performance review a little after I had worked there for one year and I received another raise. If you do your job well, there is definitely the possibility to get a raise. However, you usually cannot negotiate.

Cafe Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2014.

I applied online for a part time position at the Cafe, and about a week later I was called for an interview. The interview went really well. It was very casual, being in the actual cafe, which put me a little bit at ease since it was my first interview ever. I was asked questions about my skills from my old job that would be relevant to the job as a server. And other questions similar to that. It was fairly easy. After the interview I had to fill out an application on paper, mainly to give them my references. She said that she would call me back whenever she had talked to all my references. After about a week and a half I got a call back from her to return to do an interview with the store manager.

Interview Questions
    • I had a difficult time answering the question how would I deal with an angry/unsatisfied customer. the only reason i had trouble with this was because I had never had to deal with one.   View Answer

Head Cashier - Beavercreek, OH Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beavercreek, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beavercreek, OH (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2014.

I had applied on the 3rd and received a call on the 13th and scheduled my interview. I went in and was told to sit in the café. I met with the merchandise manager. Very sweet lady. The first question she asked was what books was I into. Great conversation starter! The whole interview last about a half hour. She told me that there would be a second interview if theyre interested. She said they would call in 2-3 days. Still waiting to hear back!

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had a dissatisfied customer and how it was resolved.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked retail before? Ever during the busy season?   View Answer
    • What was your beginning pay and ending pay at your previous job? How much were you asking for here?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever trained?   Answer Question
    • How would you get a new hire to feel welcomed?   View Answer

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Asked me what kind of books I like to read, my leadership experience, and an example of how I handled a difficult situation. One-on-one interview, called my current employer as a reference. Only had one interview.

Interview Questions
    • Loved the "what types of books you read" question.   View Answer
    Accepted as seasonal for the summer than hired as part-time

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

One August, I applied online to four nearby Barnes & Nobles. One called back and I was officially hired in late October after interviews with the store manager, assistant store manager, and merch manager. I also had a fourth interview with the cafe manager because I told them I'd be happy to work in a cafe position too. The hiring process seemed like a long drag to me because it turned out to be just an open application and they were not in demand for booksellers when I applied. The interview went smoothly and the questions asked were the expected ones. Questions were not only about my work experience, but also about my reading and coffee interests, school, etc. I was told to wait up to two weeks for a background check. The two weeks passed so I called back and was told they had yet to get in touch with my listed references. About a week later, I was in the store office signing paperwork and ready for orientation. I was hired as one of four part time temporary seasonal employees, three of which (including myself) later became permanent after the holidays. One piece of advice for prospective employees is that the application is online. I've seen too many times some fine people walking in and asking to drop off their resume or pick up an application. These people are told (at least in my store) to go online because all the resources are there. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • No difficult, technical, or curveball questions except when I was asked what I like about B&N coffee, which I didn't understand because they serve Starbucks coffee and it is no different. I pulled through and was hired.   Answer Question