BlackBerry

190 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Testing Associate Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackBerry in July 2012.

Interview Details Easy interview, started off with introduction and moved on to behavioral questions and technical questions, standard behavioral questions and the technical questions were based mostly on software QA aspects.

Interview Question – what is regression testing?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation for interns

Software Test Associate Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in February 2014.

Interview Details I applied through my campus recruitment portal (University of Waterloo), and heard back from them on time during the interviews period as one would expect.

The interview was at their head office here in Waterloo, and lasted around an hour. I arrived a bit late as I got delayed while leaving after a class, and they were completely understanding of it. The people seemed friendly in general, and my interviewers started off by talking about the job itself.

I was then asked a few general questions like 'Tell me about yourself...', 'What are your strengths and weaknesses?', 'Why do you want to do software testing?' and such. They then proceeded to the more technical questions related to the job itself such as testing methodologies, what would make a good bug report, and software testing scenarios.

Overall, it was a rather challenging interview as they did push for detailed answers and you had to think well on the spot for some of the scenarios. The position also involved working overtime for on-call duty to meet release schedules due to the nature of the team the job was for.

Their reply on the outcome of the interview came a few days later than expected, and resulted in some anxiety and confusion as they had promised to get back within a few weeks by the expected results time for our coop process here in UW.

Interview Questions

• If one of the keys on the numpad didn't work (pressed but no input displayed) while dialing a call on your phone, how would you find what the problem could be?   View Answer
  • How would you test a microwave?   View Answer
  • If you had to release something by the evening, but only managed to complete a third of the tests by noon, how would you approach the situation?   View Answer

Beta Test Software Issue Coordinator (Internship) Interview

I applied online - interviewed at BlackBerry in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online via the BlackBerry website - received a notice for a phone interview 3 weeks later.

The interview was standard. All questions asked (that required a short/long answer response) were behavioural based. Just about every question I was asked required me to draw from my personal experiences. The only technical questions I was asked happened towards the end of the interview on whether or not I: knew what QNX was, had any experience with Linux/Unix, had any experience with reading error logs, any experience with command line prompts in Linux. Be prepared to back up any personal experiences that you draw. IE. I had previous leadership experience that I mentioned; the hiring manager asked me how I would be able to use what I learned from that experience and apply to this position at BlackBerry.

The interview took roughly 55 minutes; 45 minutes of that involved me answering the employer questions. Phone interview was 1:1, conducted with a person from the User Engagement team.

tl;dr: If you've had interview experience before, this will be fairly easy.

Interview Question – All questions asked were behavioural based. Some that I remember off the top of my head: What leadership qualities can you bring to this position? Recall a time where you were unsuccessful in a team setting; what was the outcome? You can find more examples on these types of questions online.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Received an offer from my co-op office 3 days after the interview (even though I was told to expect at MINIMUM to wait a week before hearing back). No negotiations.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details Joined as Co-op student from Schulich School of Business and later offered Project Manager Position with the company

Interview Question – Weekness and failure   Answer Question

Software Developer - Interrn Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details Applied through BlackBerry job site. Got an email saying they are reviewing my application for a specific position.
Two days later, got an interview offer for the next week.

Interview was fairly easy. Asked about my previous experience and what I had done, which wasn't much since it was my first internship.
Technical Question:
- what are the three important aspects of the class? Ans. Default Constructor, Copy Constructor and Destructor.
- Asked about topics related to the job and a bit about Android OS.
Some other basic questions.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult. Everything was basic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered a job through my school and I accepted.

Software Tester Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details Phone interview is easy where they ask you about yourself. Then second interview they ask some technical questions about the position you would be working on.

Interview Question – What did you do about a problem you could not solve.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation because it was internship with fix offer.

Software Test Associate Interview

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2014.

Interview Details Hiring process was relatively quick. Being from BC they quickly set up a phone conference interview. The interview was mostly technical questions such as how you would test things, but we also touched on past test experiences, some algorithms and optimization, and finally details about the position itself. Overall, the interview went smoothly and I found it was extremely fair for the position.

Interview Question – What do you hate most about QA and Software Testing... and how would you fix it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at BlackBerry in January 2010.

Interview Details Phone screening, phone interview for me

Negotiation Details – No negotiable.

Software Test Developer Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details Applied through university co-op, phone interview lasted for 45 mins.
Questions from resume, the interviewer was really cool guy.

Interview Question – nothing much. Questions only from the resume   Answer Question

Software Developer, Co-op Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details I have been contacted first by a recruiter who told me that I had passed the pre-selection process (probably where they discard a lot of applications) and that my résumé would now be made available to the Hiring Manager for review.

Later, I received an invitation for an interview with who I assume was the team leader, which took place a couple of days after that and lasted for about 45 minutes. There were a lot of technical questions, but I had the chance to talk about my personal projects and the programming competitions I attended.

Then I received an answer quickly. I was not selected, but it all went fast from there.

Interview Question – They seem to be working exclusively with C++, so make sure you have an in-depth knowledge of the language. There were mostly "Do you know what is..." and "How would you implement..." on subjects such as communicating between processes, intelligent pointers, multithreading and very specific rules of the language. Needless to say, they want their interns to know their tools.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at BlackBerry

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!

BlackBerry Videos

BlackBerry – Why Work for Us?

Be Bold. Be Passionate. Be Creative Be Bold is our philosophy. At BlackBerry, you can push the boundaries and you can rewrite the rules. Innovation is rewarded and you’ll know that the people you work with all share… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BlackBerry interview questions and advice in Canada. All 190 interview reviews posted anonymously by BlackBerry employees and interview candidates.