BlackRock

Getting the Interview

29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst

I applied online - interviewed at BlackRock in December 2012.

Interview Details Got an interview for risk analyst. been interviewed by 3 different people, about 30 min each. very straight forward, non tricky questions. technical and competency based questions.

London, England

The process took 2 months - interviewed at BlackRock in December 2011.

Interview Details Process was efficient. I conducted the first two interviews over the phone. The next round consisted of an assessment centre. A lunch was hosted by junior members of staff. Following lunch there were two interviews with Directors, a problem solving exercise regarding numbers and simple quant analysis. Group discussion & pres.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you disagreed with the way a more senior member of staff was conducting business, and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about the greatest accomplishment in your last role   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A standard package - didn't appear like negotiation was possible

London, England

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2010.

Interview Details I was asked a lot of fitting questions, no right or wrongs, i think they were just trying to figure out whether I can work hard and fit well into the company cuclture.

Interview Question – give me an example when you had confliction in interest in a team work   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details Phone interview followed by on site. One person on phone will ask basic fit questions. On site there were at least eight interviewers from different departments. Various technical questions, and situation based questions are asked.

Interview Question – A mathematical based questions required to calculate how many diamonds of 1 ct can you fit into a room   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had another offer

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2011.

Interview Details Candidates are initially screened by HR representatives. Those that pass the first round are then reviewed by anywhere from 2-4 full time employees, with those reviewers ranging from analysts to director level personnel. Then there will be an initial phone screen by a hiring committee manager. If the candidate seems like they will be a good personality fit, they are brought in for a "super day" interview, where they will see up to 6 other people, often being interviewed in a panel format. There will also be a group exercise to test their teamworking and critical thinking skills.

Interview Question – When have you been innovative or entrepreneurial? What is the biggest challenged you've faced so far?   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2014.

Interview Details Fairly drawn out process, several interviews with different groups, finally met with my target group and interviewed with 3 md's and a vp. The recruiter that I had been in touch with was particularly helpful.

Interview Question – No real technicals--unexpected questions were more just diving deep into my answers on behaviorals   Answer Question

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details These people ask basic java question, as people in blackrock are not that technically sound and work mainly on perl, m-perl

Interview Question – May ask some finance terms   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 1 week

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details first round interviews on campus. super-days are all day with back to back. lunch break with analysts. mostly were behavior interviews, knowledge of finance, why this firm, why this industry/asset management.

Negotiation Details – NA. general analyst class

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at BlackRock in September 2013.

Interview Details Got a referral for BlackRock.
Then i received a call from the HR. I had an offer in hand,so the HR wanted to discuss the salary before even having a telephonic technical discussion/screening.

Telephonic Interviewer again started discussing salary first. I do not know why they are fearing screening people. See whether you need him/her first.

I always used to think a product base firm like BlackRock pays higher than others. But its a myth.

Interview Question – We cannot offer you the package you already have. Would you want to continue the interview ?   View Answer

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2013.

Interview Details Pretty robust, though I expect it varies depending on the team. Failed an interview the first time I applied, passed the second time. As a person with a non-finance and non-programming background, I had questions ranging from general knowledge to puzzles to project management to my extra-curricular interests in coding (some of them were pretty hard problems) and technology stocks. Interview process is fairly lengthy but they have a phone/on-campus screen and then only one SuperDay (final rounds) so it's not unfairly tiring. You get to meet a fair number of members of the hiring team in rotation, so there's a fair diversity. I believe that's pretty standard.

Interview Question – (Open-ended) (I had mentioned that I follow tech stocks closely) How would you invest $N in, say, (insert tech gint like Google/Facebook/Apple/Yahoo/Microsoft) ? What options would you take - stocks, bonds, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation. I think the numbers are pretty standard firm-wide for entry-level positions.

Interviews for Top Jobs at BlackRock

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BlackRock Analyst interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by BlackRock employees and interview candidates.