BlackRock

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
London, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

Interview Details 1st round - phone call from HR
2nd round - VC interview

Was quite rigorous but not many technical questions were asked. mainly background checks and knowing your personality.

Phone call was with the HR manager based in India. She asked basic questions and was rather straightforward.

Second round was a VC interview with a senior associate and a line manager. took about 1 hr for the interview.

Interview Question – What do you want to have achieved after 20 years.   Answer Question

Strategic Investments Group Interview

Strategic Investments Group
London, England

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BlackRock in March 2014.

Interview Details Very good. Best approached through a network rather than a head hunter. Look to interview with the manager and then later with Human Resources. Fast and dynamic firm will hire people if they suit the culture and try and fit them in. Many questions asked. Best if you have an asset management background.

Interview Question – How would you get up to speed with your new job.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackRock in December 2013.

Interview Details I was put forward by recruiter for an IT Project Manager role at Blackrock's London office. The first interview with the hiring manager went well, and she said I was exactly the type of person they were looking for.

I was then called for a second interview with the manager of the hiring manager. This person re-scheduled the interview twice at short notice, on one occasion I was almost outside the Blackrock office!

When the second interview finally took place, the interviewer said she didn't know anything about the role and just wanted to have a chat with me about career aspirations and other general questions.

It was difficult to guage how the interview went, but a day later the recruiter phoned to let me know that they weren't going to hire me as I didn't have "publishing" experience. The word "publishing" didn't appear once on the job description and isn't included on my CV either, and the recruiter said they didn't hire anyone for the role.

It was very disappointing that Blackrock wasted so much of my time and then rejected me for not posessing a skill which they never asked for, and I never claimed to have. The recruiter was unable to explain why this happened, but since then, other recruiters have said that Blackrock London is very difficult to place candiates as they are quite fussy and often reject candidates without explanation.

Interview Question – If I asked your mother to describe you, what would she say?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

Interview Details I submitted my resume online but also had a friend who pushed it up. I went through a phone interview with two people. Very basic behavioral questions and A LOT of questions about the company.

Then I was called for an office visit and flew from USA to London. There I had 4 interviews with very technical questions as well as behavioral and detailed division questions. My last "interview" consisted of solving 4 finance problems on the spot.

Interview Question – What is the most efficient way to board a plane?

How would you explain a database to a 7 years old?
  View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
London, England

I interviewed at BlackRock in January 2014.

Interview Details First round: two individual interviews; Final round: group exercise, individual interviews, individual case study

Interview Question – Individual case study was pretty difficult. Never had that in any previous interviews..   Answer Question

Aladdin & Technology Interview

Aladdin & Technology
London, England

I applied online - interviewed at BlackRock in December 2013.

Interview Details 1. Tell me about the Company and the role
2. Team-work- difficulties and result (use CAR technique)
3. Are you willing to relocate?
4. Difficult situation in life and how I dealt with that
Other competency based questions mainly about team work and leadership skills

Director Interview

Director
London, England

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at BlackRock in April 2011.

Interview Details interview based process with several interviews - perhaps three or 4, including two by telephone with partners and managers in the United States, with a formal offer made by letter after verbal offer by phone

Interview Question – Why on earth would your want to move to BlackRock?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Technology Analyst Interview

Technology Analyst
London, England

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BlackRock in October 2012.

Interview Details Initial round of interviews were not really interviews at all, more just sanity checks to make sure you weren't insane. After that, 4 or 5 interviews on competency (what projects I've worked on, when have I been challenged - the classics) and a little bit on technical ability. Very simple really. Had to also take a Java test, but that was pretty useless as it was for incredibly specific knowledge - I have a feeling it was an excerpt from the SCJP Java 5 exam.

The final analysts coming out of the process had a very wide range of abilities, so all can apply really!

Interview Question – How would you decide whether a given number is prime or not.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase as it was an entry level position.

Spring Week Analyst PAG Interview

Spring Week Analyst PAG
London, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BlackRock in April 2013.

Interview Details Sent a copy of CV with a cover letter. Invited to a telephone interview. No hard questions, was asked to talk through CV so would be useful to have that in front of you. Interviewer had a relaxed style and didn't do any brain teasers or mathematical questions.

Interview Question – Whats the difference between a bond and stock?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview Details 9 rounds of interview over a period of 90 days. That's a lot of travel expenses which don't get reimbursed if you don't get the job! Very risk averse and over-cautious culture. I felt over-interviewed. It was the same interview 9 times with different people!

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at BlackRock

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!