BlackRock Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 14 Apr 2015

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Given a online technical screening then came in for super day. Online screening was relatively simple, was given two questions on the level of "given a string check if its a palindrome". Super day interview consisted of anywhere from three to five interviewers in an intense technical interview for several hours.

Interview Questions

• How does a HashMap find an entry? What is the runtime of that search?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

I had my first technical interview over the phone where the interviewer shared a document for me to code. It was not a hard question. I was not very well prepared for coding on the stop when someone was looking at my process. Be able to code easy questions under pressure.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I got a phone interview first, the question is pretty simple. It includes simple algorithm and data structure and some about the resume. And then I got the on site interview. It has 4 people, much more about the resume, some conception and simple algorithm. The algorithm part is very easy, but they like to ask some conceptions. From database to normal java conception(I told them I like to use java)

Interview Questions

• conception is like interface and abstract class, string and string buffer.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

I applied online and got an email to schedule a phone interview a few weeks later. The phone interview was 30 mins and we went over my resume, internship experience etc. Brief question about set, list and map. I was then called up for a 3 hour in person interview in NY with 4 rotating interviewers. Questions ranged from: what do you know about the company, why this position, tell me about yourself to more detailed questions on programming knowledge and previous projects. They were nice and asked questions related to the things you said for example, "you mentioned abstract classes and interfaces in java, can you tell me the difference". Difference between C++ and Java. Look at this piece of code and tell me what it does. Write a function that does ... A brain teaser. They also give you a chance to ask questions.
    I wrote no offer, since I am currently waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes in a string and an int. The int determines the number of repeated consecutive letters you want to have returned. For example: (aab, 1) -> ab. (aaabba, 2) -> aabba   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock.

Interview

Through NYU On Campus recruitment. Lady was mean! She was not very helpful when it comes to asking questions. She expects an answer for her questions right away or she will be stressed.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

They came to school for info session, then I applied online. After about a month time, I was invited for a phone interview. It wasn't a good timing for me. I was thinking postponing it after my traveling back to the states. But it was at the risk of my opportunity got taken by others. It was an easy interview, starting with some behavior questions, like why BlackRock, what does BlackRock do, why software engineer, etc. Then I was asked some questions about my resume, a project, and some experience. Then data structure, C++ and Java. Finally a coding problem.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of a phone screen followed by an on-site interview. The phone screen was straight forward and was mainly a resume review and some technical questions. No coding! The on-site interview was 4 hours - 4 interviews back to back in the SF office. The interviews were very different from the usual technical interviews. They focused more on skills than memory. One round was behavioral and one was anlytic, and the other two were technical.

Interview Questions

• Apart from the technical aspects, they also focus a lot on the behavioral and analytic questions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

A 30 min phone interview followed by a on-site interview. I failed at the first round. They only asked behavior questions in the phone interview. They go through two big projects on my resume. Then they asked me how to use HashMap in JAVA, which is to override the hashcode() and equals() method. Equals method is used to avoid the collision.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

Campus Recruiting, first round

Interview Questions

• It's hard to describe the question in short. But it's about anagrams and hash tables.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackRock (Durham, NC (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied for the intern by university website. On campus 30 minutes' interview. Most were behavioural questions about my resume. Asked me about different data strucures. Why finance? What's the most tricky bug you've encountered?