BlackRock Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

17 interviews

2.9

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in April 2014.

A 30 min phone interview followed by a on-site interview. I failed at the first round. They only asked behavior questions in the phone interview. They go through two big projects on my resume. Then they asked me how to use HashMap in JAVA, which is to override the hashcode() and equals() method. Equals method is used to avoid the collision.

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Durham, NC (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

Applied for the intern by university website. On campus 30 minutes' interview. Most were behavioural questions about my resume. Asked me about different data strucures. Why finance? What's the most tricky bug you've encountered?

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

Campus Recruiting, first round

Interview Questions
    • It's hard to describe the question in short. But it's about anagrams and hash tables.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at BlackRock in September 2013.

I have an on campus interview. I didn't get any technical questions. The recruiter first introduced the company for me and asked why I was interested in BlackRock. Then he asked me about the most interesting class I have taken. We have talked about the class and the project I have done for that class. Then he asked me the most tricky bug I have solved. At last, he asked me a simple question about array.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the most tricky bug you have encountered.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in January 2013.

Interview was a fair game. I decided not to pursue and cancel final round as I felt the mode of interviewing was too stressful/too much pressure for me personally.

I had extensive phone technical screen involving a lot of math and C++ questions. Was invited to in-person 7 or 6 hour interview. Parts of it were supposed to be video interviews with NYC managers and I personally do not wish to do video interviews, especially with people I will never have to directly work with. Also, I felt that having to find parking in a paid garage was too much trouble. The good thing, there was one hour lunch interview part and they were paying for this...not bad. Phone interview was with senior engineer/manager and he was kind of making it stressful--I didn't like it, prefer more calm and relaxed style of conversation.

They gave me infamous Monty Hall probability puzzle/paradox during phone screen...I disagree with "solution"--as many mathematicians outside the US. I had written code proves that "US solution" is wrong. So, I stand by this and felt this paradox shouldn't have been brought up since it does not have accepted solution in Mathematics community across the world. I rate overall interview experience as positive as they offered to buy me a lunch, was showed basic respect on their part.

Interview Questions
    • Monty Hall paradox...I still disagree with their (nearsighted) solution.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at BlackRock.

I submit my online application and got reply after a month. The interview was schedule after 3 weeks.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at BlackRock.

First interview was a phone interview. The manager throw rapid fire questions and he tells you if you answered wrong.

Interview Questions
    • I think in general you have to know your basic concepts. I think the hardest question was about serializable classes in detail.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at BlackRock.

First Round on campus interview. And they called back the other day to schedule the next's day on site interview. The interview is in the afternoon so had to get up early to catch the flight. Too tired and not much time for lunch. No time for me to prepare.

Interview Questions
    • Actually no difficult questions. But they like recursive I think.. Try basic recursive questions and DP questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock.

Got emailed for on-campus interview after talking to several recruiters on campus. The on-campus interview was very easy. Most of the questions were based on class experience and projects you have worked on in class which lasted about 30 minutes. The next day I was invited up to the SF office for a on-site interview. Interview was 4 1:1 45 minute interview with the vice-presidents of the different tech departments of Aladdin. The interviews varied depending on the person. One person just asked me about class and resume experience, ended up spending 30 minutes talking about the entire HTTP protocol and how PHP fits into the cycle as well as the idea of the internet. Interesting talk but had nothing to do with programming or my experience. The rest of the interviews were more standard - talked about class -> several software questions about design patterns, SQL queries, OOP, etc. I am writing "No Offer" because it has only been a week and I have not heard back from them yet.

Interview Questions
    • Write a query that would join two tables and collapse them on one attribute.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BlackRock in February 2013.

They are always the same question. The first question is list the data structure you know. The answer is Array, List, Heap, Queue, Stack, Hash, Tree, Graph.
    The second question is how queue and stack work? My answer is FIFO, FILO.
    The third question is Describe the different of array and list. My answer is array is fixed size, and list is dynamically allocated. And array access directly. List access from the first element to the data you want.
    The forth question is how hashmap works? Take an example of how to use it. My answer is a.put("name", "123456");//key is name,value is sting 123456.

The fifth question is let you group the strings you see in many barkets. Actually, I don't understand this question very much. Many people say the answer is hashmap. While it seems that there are better answers. I don't know.

Then I heard the other people be asked write binary tree. How Virtual function works in Java. How to delete duplicate in an N size array with each element from 1 to n.

That's what I know about Blackrock. Their question is no longer changed. Hope everything goes well to you, guys!

Interview Questions
    • The fifth question is let you group the strings you see in many barkets. Actually, I don't understand this question very much. Many people say the answer is hashmap. While it seems that there are better answers.   Answer Question

Worked for BlackRock? Contribute to the Community!