BlackRock

BlackRock Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Updated 26 Feb 2015
Updated 26 Feb 2015

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BlackRock.

Video Interview with set questions, you are given time before every question begins to prepare notes on the topic. The questions are very simple and average, like why BlackRock, why your division, and a time you overcame a challenge. They are very slow at getting back in between stages, taking weeks /months between applying, interviews, and rejection.

Other Interview Reviews for BlackRock

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

I applied online for the position and received an email a couple of weeks later with an invitation to an assessment centre. It consisted of 1 group exercise with a presentation, 3 one-on-one interviews and a problem-solving skill test. The group exercise wasn't hard and it is really no way to prepare for it. The presentation is 5 mins divided by 3 people so there is really not that much to talk about - be sure to stick to the requirements. Then I got into a room and the recruiters were coming in, one by one, to interview me. There were 3 interviews, each approximately 30 minutes. Very informal and pleasant, although I felt that they all asked me the same questions. Then there was a problem-solving skills test which consisted of 4 mathematical questions that someone read and I had to ask questions in order to get the information I need and solve the problem. It was very unusual and stressful to calculate something in front of the person assessing you, although the interviewer was very helpful. All in all, it was quite informal and pleasant experience. I got a call back the next day around 3 PM.

Interview Questions
    • Why BlackRock, why this role, competency based questions about team work and creativity (very standard), how would you describe a database to a child   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2015.

After submission of application, received an invitation three months later for a one way video interview on Montage Talent. Questions were very basic- why did you choose your degree? why blackrock? Then received an invitation for a phone interview with HR. Questions were CV based questions and also tested language skills- Describe a time in which you had to work with people of different cultures? Describe a situation in which you had difficulties with your team and how did you solve your problem? Received an invitation for a technical based interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose your degree/uni?

Why BlackRock?

Why did you choose this position?

How do you keep up to date with the Financial Industry and in particular asset management?

Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in January 2015.

Applied online in september, cv and cover letter, took a few months for the numerical invite to come through, invited to interview in January, didn't make it past the first round

2 interviews lasting about 30 -40 mins. Briefly went through CV, then a couple of competency questions (what makes a good team, what makes a good leader, things like that)

No questions as to why blackrock, why asset mangement etc

The majority of the interview was taken up with brainteasers, some were the kind of brainteasers you come to expect, some were quite off the wall and quite challenging (more ethical and morality questions rather than your standard brainteaser)

Overall I think the interview was difficult to prepare for, one of the harder interviews I've had within markets

Interview Questions
    • 'In the aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo attack, if you were the editor of a UK national newspaper, would you publish the cartoons of the prophet?'   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock in December 2014.

The first round interview consisted of two thirty minute interviews. One was with the head of PR hence he knew a lot about multiple areas of the business, but didn't know the areas in depth due the nature of the job and his short time at the firm. The second was with an associate in the clients group, which was a more markets based interview. There were CV questions throughout both interviews and a strong emphasis on BlackRock and what differentiates it from its competitors, investment banks etc.

Interview Questions
    • Asking for in-depth responses to certain CV based questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BlackRock in February 2014.

I submitted my resume online but also had a friend who pushed it up. I went through a phone interview with two people. Very basic behavioral questions and A LOT of questions about the company.

Then I was called for an office visit and flew from USA to London. There I had 4 interviews with very technical questions as well as behavioral and detailed division questions. My last "interview" consisted of solving 4 finance problems on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most efficient way to board a plane?

How would you explain a database to a 7 years old?

View Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Anonymous Employee in London, England

interviewed at BlackRock in January 2014.

First round: two individual interviews; Final round: group exercise, individual interviews, individual case study

Interview Questions
    • Individual case study was pretty difficult. Never had that in any previous interviews..   View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Applied for hackathon, was cancelled, got invited to first round interview by Blackrock. Was unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Count the number of squares on this piece of paper. A grid of 4 by 4 unit boxes, just blurted out the answer, didnt think and got it wrong!   View Answers (2)

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online through its website. First I was asked to record Montage videos at home where I do not need to interact with an actual person. After than I was asked to take three 30 minutes long video interviews. Most of the questions were behavioral; they did not ask much about my skills and abilities.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BlackRock.

First round was on a a platform called Montage video, where there was nobody on the other side of the video and you just had to record yourself answering three basic questions. Second round was a video interview with one of the Sales Directors. He asked mostly behavioral questions and asked about a few stories on the market and recent news. Still pretty basic. Then I was called in for a SuperDay at the office, where I had 4 30 minute interviews one right after another. Again mostly behavioral and fit questions, but I ended up talking about news in the markets and specific stocks for a fair amount of the interviews

Interview Questions
    • Tell me where you see opportunities in the market
      What's the difference between a mutual fund and an ETF

Answer Question