Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated 15 Oct 2014

3.1

163 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview was quite basic, as already described.
In-house was structured in such a way that no question was neutral. (Ie. Not "why we should hire you", but rather "Honestly, from your Cv I can't see why should we hire you").
I guess they want to see how you cope with stress.

Most questions are listed already, some others came from my cv and answers, so it's rather pointless to list them, but beware of what you say, if you lie it might fire back.

Interview Questions
  • Why would Tesco use our terminal? Who would you target there if you were to try and sell one?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

They have very inefficient and disorganised recruitment process lol I applied in August and heard nothing until mid-September. Then I got invited to a telephone interview, nothing for 2 weeks after that (so thought i had failed) then got invited for an in-house interview. Still waiting to hear back from them. They said there would be 2 more interviews, so telephone + 3 interviews..quite hectic.

1. Telephone interview
    Very quick, manager of a department, seemed very busy and uninterested in what I say.
    - Do you have any sales experience, etc.

2. In house-interview
    -Why financial services and not banking
    -what other firms have you applied to
    - any customer service experience
    - rate your financial knowledge in 1-10 (don't say 10, they just want this for follow-up questions)
    - what is a market cap
    - what is credit default swap
    - what's ur understanding of this role

The interviewers were very friendly and made me feel relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • scenario questions (if you had this client acting this way and another acting this way, what would you do and in which order?)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied through Bloomberg website - Received email correspondence to book me in for a telephonic interview - 15 min interview discussing about walk through CV, what do you know about Bloomberg and role - was invited for a face to face interview at Bloomberg London

Interview Questions
    • Technical Questions related to Fixed Income & Derivatives   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied online and it took 3 days for HR to contact me to set up a telephone interview.
    The telephone interview lasted 15 minutes and surprisingly was not from HR but a manager within the sales department. I had not prepare for this.
    The questions the interviewer asked were mainly about my previous experiences, why Bloomberg, why sales ... general questions.
    The next step is a more deep 1-hour F2F interview but I was not short-listed anyway (received a reply back in one business day instead of 3 business days).

Interview Questions
    • To which type of companies would you sell Bloomberg terminals to?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Went through an employee referral scheme - phone interview within 2 days, followed by an interview at the offices the following week. Very efficient process. The interview was with two employees and it lasted just over an hour. They asked motivation questions, why Bloomberg and not an investment bank? There was also a sales scenario with regards to the Bloomberg Terminal.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell a terminal to an insurance underwriter?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

- online application
    - they got back to me the next day and arrange a telephone interview for 4 days later
    - telephone interview conducted by HR about 20 mins basic motivations and skill questions
    1. Why Bloomberg?
    2. What skills do you think you can offer?
    3. What does Bloomberg have over their competitors?
    4. When are you available to start if you are successful?
    5. Do you have experience of customer service?

- a week later invited to the 1st in house interview
    (30 min shadowing [use this time to your benefit to ask as many qu's as you can before the main interview as it is not a test!] + 1hr interview with 2 interviewers)
    1. Why Bloomberg?
    2. What products do Bloomberg offer?
    3. Who are Bloomberg's competitors?
    4. Have you ever experienced a time you could not please a customer?
    5. How has your past experience in customer service relate to what your position entails?
    6. What career path would you like to go down in the future?
    7. Why this position?
    8. What have you gathered the analytics team does from the shadowing you had?

- didn't make it to the 2nd in house interview :'(

The people were nice in general. Interviewers were nice, the man was a bit poker face and drills deeper into the answers you give, the woman was a bit more open, having more of a conversation with you.

Interview Questions
    • 1. How is the Ukraine crises affecting the Mumbai economy?
      2. What effect is the Scottish independence likely to have in China?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

There are four stages to apply for this role:
    1. Online Application
    2. Telephone Interview
    3. Panel Interview
    4. Panel Interview with Manager you will report in to.

The online application is straightforward. Exhibit a keen interest in Bloomberg, Financial Markets and Sales.

The telephone interview tests your interests of the aforementioned topics and see you can hold a conversation over the telephone. They fire questions in an attempt to make you uncomfortable to test your ability to maintain composure. They ask fundamental technical questions here.

The Panel interview is with someone form Sales and another from Analytics. They test your technical knowledge here and explore where your strengths/weaknesses lie. They then focus their attention on the answers that you give and drill deeper to identify your expertise on the subject. A sound understanding of financial instruments is an advantage.

I made it to the third stage and missed out.

Interview Questions
    • What research have you done lately?
      What is the difference between a forward and future?
      What is the difference between an option and future?
      What would you choose, an option or a future?
      What is an option premium?
      How would you sell 20 Bloomberg Terminals?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Process in 3 stages: 1. telephone interview, 2. face2face (or video conference) and a 3rd and final face2face interview.

Why finance and why Bloomberg (I studied marketing so it was sort of hard to convince them why I want to go into finance now)? What can Bloomberg give you what other companies cannot give you? Sell a Samsung phone to an iPhone owner and lover. Mention 3 arguments why Bloomberg should take you on.

Telephone interview:
    It is rather short and they are bombarding you with questions just like why Bloomberg, why finance, what does Bloomberg do, who are our competitors, why would a company use a Bloomberg terminal, give an overview over the Ukraine crisis.

1. F2F interview:
    Similar questions as telephone interview, digging a bit deeper. They really want to know why you want to work for them and what your sales and people skills are. If you don't have a finance background be honest and tell them you're not an expert but you are keen to learn and be prepared to answer why you want to learn more about finance! They also ask you about different scenarios at the help desk and how you would handle them.

I am still waiting to hear back from them whether I made it to the 3rd stage or not!

Interview Questions
    • Why finance now and not marketing or communications (which are my degrees)?
      What does Bloomberg give you that another company couldn't give you?
      What other jobs did you apply for so far?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Phone Interview and invited a day later to the final round. Phone interview was pretty easy, asking company question and general world news. The face to face was a lot more difficult, question were strange and answer often took a part

Interview Questions
    • How to explain to a colleague that you have had the same job role for 7 years and not feel undervalued   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Was very efficient. The phone interview was very rushed though. The 1st in house interview is all i made it to. It was great to go in a and see the office, but i had a shadowing for the first half an hour. They were very unhelpful and didn't really give me an indepth answers to questions i had.

Interview Questions
    • Analytical question about prioritising specific clients software and bloomberg terminal issues.   Answer Question