Bloomberg L.P.

Updated 24 Feb 2015
Updated 24 Feb 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Sent application at the beginning of december, recieved invitation for phone interview about one month later.
Phone interview was quite normal, mostly motivational, background and roleplay questions:
Why financial products and sales? Why not banking? Why exactly this role? Who are bloomberg's competitors? What's the difference between Bloomberg Tradebook and Terminal? What's Bloomberg Vault? What's Bloomberg Government? How many companies are tracked by Bloomberg Terminal (24.000)? Then followed some questiones about me and my studies (i study finance). What's the most common way companies raise capitals? What's the QE? How would you hedge from risks in finance? Than situational kind of questions: How would you sell Coca Cola the terminal? Why would it use a Terminal? Imagine i am JPMorgan and i wanna decrease the number of terminals because Eikon is cheaper, how would you convince me to not do it? Imagine i am an angry customer calling you because I can't find UBS ticker, but you don't have info about me. How would you act?

After two days I received a mail stating I would have been invited to the in-house interview. IMPORTANT: in case you receive this mail, don't feel like you have the job. Almost everybody passes the phone interview. So, it's not indicative whether you nailed it or not.

In house interview: First. arrive on time.. Second, try to get to know people when you get in, but don't stay too far away from where they ask you to wait your interviewers. Be kind, friendly, self confident, and act like a normal person. In the beginning i had to shadow an employee in the analytics office. This people is quite funny and they take it so easy when working. They receive "tickets" (the chat questions from terminal users) and answer right on time. Very nice job by the way. The employee was actually glad to see how many things i knew of the terminal even thought i never used one. Then it came the moment. The interviewers (managers for analytics and sales teams) took me to a room for a 2:1 interview. They started asking: Introduce yourself in one minute; tell me 5 skills you think you built from your past experience; Try to sell me the product you sold in your previous job (yes, it's a call simulation); Imagine i'm a millionaire and i want to use Eikon cause it costs less. Sell me the terminal (other situational question. Remember to leverage on the price-quality standard, but sell your bullets slowly and at the right moment); Who mainly uses the Terminal and why? (than, interview turned from my own language to english) What problems do you think Bloomberg is facing at the moment? (IM messaging replications, Federated chat, Data governance, catch-up from other companies, do your own intelligent search); Why exactly Bloomberg? Why not Banking? What do you think about the actual financial market situation? Where would you invest now? What's the difference between Options and Futures? What is the current American economic situation? What would you look at if you'd invest in bonds? (did not really get what he ment for "look at" because i summed up all Bonds decision theory but he didn't seem convinced...however, might have been my fault). Then the interview got easier, talking about other products of Bloomberg and nothing more. I also asked a few questions at the end. However, I was kinda sure I made it. I was self confident, did a very good research, roleplayed a lot and felt so prepared about anything. Everything worked fine for me. Until the day after, when I received a mail stating "you're no long being considered". Ok. Got it. I did some self-questioning about what possibly went wrong, and here i come to the end of this good (yes, it was positive after all) experience with a few tricks: Don't smile too much. Listen to yourself. Listen to them. Come straight to the point. Be self confident but not too much. Don't bombard them with info you think might be a good mark for you, because they're gonna go deeper (and remember we have limited info about it). Be the best, and remember that you have to sell yourself as a good investment for them. Don't ask about possibility for entering other roles (yes, it might be possible, but i asked if Sales is the only possibility after analytics, and it was the footstep to my doom).

Finally. Don't act too friendly. Be yourself. Or, well, not too much yourself, but the "you" that you think Bloomberg wants. Good luck everybody. I'll try again in July (let 6 months pass, otherwise they won't consider your cv) ;)

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview then face to face. Positive experience and team was really kind and helpful. The interviewer was really pleasant, friendly and knew her stuff. When she realised I had misunderstood a question she rephrased it and let me re-answer which was helpful. They said the turnaround would be 1-2 days and got back to me within 4 hours to let me know I'd passed.

Interview Questions
    • Company info, motivational, wider market/finance knowledge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

First apply online, then telephone interview, then a face to face in the regional office and final round interview in the location to where you apply to. People in Bloomberg are very nice generally, loved offices both in London and Moscow. They've got a cool ID system - they take a picture of you at the reception when you arrive and then the picture follows you across their offices.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about the role, what is your motivation, what is your relevant experience, why this company, what are the company's products, current affairs, who would you contact to make a sale in a non-financial firm, how would you prioritise various people when they make inquiries at the same time.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

They call me for the phone interview 2 weeks after they emailed me. The interviewer started the conversation asking about the resume and to walk him through it. After that he asked some questions about Bloomberg products and its competitors. He also asked me if I keep myself update with financial markets news and to speak about one new that struck me more.

Interview Questions
    • What differentiate Bloomberg from its competitors? Why should we hire you? Scenario question   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Sent an application at the beginning of december, received an invitation for a phone interview scheduled for mid-January.
    The phone interview was quite easy, most of the questions were related to your motivations to apply to Bloomberg, plus a lot of general questions on my background:
    - why financial product and sales? who are bloomberg competitors? why are you applying to bloomberg...

One day later I received an invitation for an in-house interview.

In-house interview: my interview was scheduled for 8.30 a.m. Be there on time, at first I was invited to make my way upstairs where I would have met an employee. I was shadowing an employee in the analytics department, she was very kind and showed me how the tickets worked and the way the reply to it. From my understanding the analytics job is not any more than any helpdesk, she received some queries from clients going from "could you please check that the data in the terminal are correct" to "where can I find data on XYZ stock". Overall, she told me that in an average day, they would receive approximately 20-25 queries. Then, the moment of the interview came. The interviewers were managers of analytics and sales, they took me to a quite room for a 2:1 interview. The manager from the analytics department started asking me some general questions, unfortunately I mentioned that I would rather work in financial services than in investment banking. From that moment, my interview went wrong. The interview from the analytics department bombarded me with questions on investment banking. Needless to say, I wasn't prepared to answer such questions and I provided weak answers to that. Questions went from: how many terminals are there in your country? to what are the main areas of operations of an investment bank? what are an investment bank main operations? After my bad performance on investment banks I knew that I would have not been offered a job, anyway I tried to do my best to finish the interview in a good way. The analytics manager asked me other questions of how I would convince a SME to buy the terminal. After this part , I was interviewed by the second manager, who asked me more about the current developments in global affairs. Then, a couple of questions on financial calculus, such as what would happen to the current price of a bond if the interest rate went down.
    Couple of advices for people being interviewed: know intimately why you would want to work for bloomberg and not for an investment bank. Know bloomberg. And last, but not least, be prepared to be questioned in any case. The interviewers will never be satisfied with your answers. However, try to be confident enough to motivate your choices, there is no wrong answer, it depends on the motivation you give.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2015.

Phone interview did not get through the second stage. The interview process is quite frustrating. Even though I taught I did great but it still was not enough for the interviewer

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about bloomberg? why this position? Whay is equity? What is bond? Why sales and analytics? What is your understanding of this role?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Submitted application online, got an instant reply to schedule phone interview. HR called me up and conducted a 40 minutes interview about my motivation, financial knowledge and news. Interviewer asked a lot of questions and threw a lot of unexpected information at you.

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interviews were fast and efficient. Why Bloomberg and why role was the most prominent. Talk about having sales or customer related experiences. Try to show you are passionate about the firm and know its history. Know competitors and be able to pitch why BBG is the better option. Also make sure you can tell them how you would convince corporates that the BBG terminal is a value add as opposed to a cost. Also have an idea of new markets for BBG to explore.

Interview Questions
    • Role play involving multiple requests for help while at the terminal. One from trader, one from Bank of England analyst and another from hedge fund.   View Answer

Glorified call centre

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview was quite basic, as already described. Why do you want to work here? / Why Bloomberg; What do you know about Bloomberg?;

Most questions are listed already, some others came from my cv and answers, so it's rather pointless to list them, but beware of what you say, if you lie it might fire back.

Interview Questions
    • How can you sell Bloomberg to a group of strangers in a room when you have no time to prepare at all?   Answer Question

Telephone interview.
    Questions are mostly motivational, such as why you choose us? why this department? She also asked about recent news. I did not prepare too much on the news but she asked a number of questions in relation to the news, so make sure you are fully prepared on what you want to talk about. Then she asked me about my sales experience but unfortunately I don't have any. After that she asked me whether I am interviewed by other companies and asked me the names of them!!! She did not ask any further questions.

Interview Questions
    • Are you being interviewed by other companies? Who are they?   Answer Question