Bloomberg L.P.

Updated 15 Dec 2014
Updated 15 Dec 2014

182 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Submitted application online, got an instant reply to schedule phone interview. HR called me up and conducted a 40 minutes interview about my motivation, financial knowledge and news. Interviewer asked a lot of questions and threw a lot of unexpected information at you.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview was quite basic, as already described. Why do you want to work here? / Why Bloomberg; What do you know about Bloomberg?;

Most questions are listed already, some others came from my cv and answers, so it's rather pointless to list them, but beware of what you say, if you lie it might fire back.

Interview Questions
    • How can you sell Bloomberg to a group of strangers in a room when you have no time to prepare at all?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interviews were fast and efficient. Why Bloomberg and why role was the most prominent. Talk about having sales or customer related experiences. Try to show you are passionate about the firm and know its history. Know competitors and be able to pitch why BBG is the better option. Also make sure you can tell them how you would convince corporates that the BBG terminal is a value add as opposed to a cost. Also have an idea of new markets for BBG to explore.

Interview Questions
    • Role play involving multiple requests for help while at the terminal. One from trader, one from Bank of England analyst and another from hedge fund.   View Answer

Glorified call centre

Telephone interview.
    Questions are mostly motivational, such as why you choose us? why this department? She also asked about recent news. I did not prepare too much on the news but she asked a number of questions in relation to the news, so make sure you are fully prepared on what you want to talk about. Then she asked me about my sales experience but unfortunately I don't have any. After that she asked me whether I am interviewed by other companies and asked me the names of them!!! She did not ask any further questions.

Interview Questions
    • Are you being interviewed by other companies? Who are they?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

Phone interview: Relatively easy, just ensure that you have done your due research on bloomberg. She asked who their competitors were, what do I really know about this role, Why this sector and not banking? Tell me about yourself, What traits would make a good analyst, what is my level of financial knowledge from 1-10( the next qn is a follow up on this!) What are some of the recent news that is happening in the world right now?

Face to face: Asked qns related to my CV, asked what experience I have had with sales. Tested me with my second language( be prepared to be tested whatever you put on your cv basically) Which other companies I have applied for.

Interview Questions
    • When they tested me about the market conditions and crisis in my second language.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

Applied online (few basic questions of why Bloomberg, why me). Got an invitation for a telephone interview on the next day. An initial email communication was held with HR department, however I was interviewed by the manager of department. An interview lasted for 20 minutes and was generally pretty easy.
    I'm expected to hear from them within a week. Therefore no feedback on interview's success or failure.

Interview Questions
    • What non-financial companies would be interested in company's products and services?   Answer Question
    • Why Bloomberg?   Answer Question
    • What makes you want to work for Bloomberg rather for any other buy-side companies?
      As I'm doing a bit of spread trading the question was related to my strong choice and preference for Bloomberg rather then my desire of pursuing a career in trading.

View Answer
    • What challenges do financial data providers face at the moment?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

They have very inefficient and disorganised recruitment process lol I applied in August and heard nothing until mid-September. Then I got invited to a telephone interview, nothing for 2 weeks after that (so thought i had failed) then got invited for an in-house interview. Still waiting to hear back from them. They said there would be 2 more interviews, so telephone + 3 interviews..quite hectic.

1. Telephone interview
    Very quick, manager of a department, seemed very busy and uninterested in what I say.
    - Do you have any sales experience, etc.

2. In house-interview
    -Why financial services and not banking
    -what other firms have you applied to
    - any customer service experience
    - rate your financial knowledge in 1-10 (don't say 10, they just want this for follow-up questions)
    - what is a market cap
    - what is credit default swap
    - what's ur understanding of this role

The interviewers were very friendly and made me feel relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • scenario questions (if you had this client acting this way and another acting this way, what would you do and in which order?)   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview was quite basic, as already described.
    In-house was structured in such a way that no question was neutral. (Ie. Not "why we should hire you", but rather "Honestly, from your Cv I can't see why should we hire you").
    I guess they want to see how you cope with stress.

Interview Questions
    • Why would Tesco use our terminal? Who would you target there if you were to try and sell one?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

The whole process lasted for three weeks approximately, it was composed of 5 rounds:

1) Online Application: Pretty Straightforward, submit CV + Cover Letter and asnwer a couple of basic questions.
    2) Phone Interview: You would receive an e-mail asking if you were available at a certain date, after confirming the appointment would receive a phone call from a Team Leader of the analytics team. The interview will start with introduction, then some basic questions Why Bloomberg? Why do you feel you are a good match? Bloomberg Products? Afterwards it would glance some financial concepts, and your understanding of the range of the product, how clients benefit from it. After we hung up I received an e-mail asking me for a face to face interview.
    3) First Face to face: In this stage you would be in an interview with two team leaders,one from sales and the other from analytics, they would drill a little bit harder on your knowledge of the company, besides the sames questions stated above, they would get on specifics like current news. Afterwards they'll test you on financial knowledge to see your proficiency; in my case it was some derivatives knowledge but I guess it could be anything, finally some sales scenario asking you to sale something you like, this one was tricky because they would be resilient into not buying, you have to be creative into solving any excuses the manager gives you. After the interview next day received e-mail inviting to the next round.
    4) Second Face to face: On this stage, you would have an interview again one representative of each department, this time of a more senior level. The interview was quite random, and it drifted from questions around my cv, difficult financial questions, sales expertise, and personality fit. It was a long interview. It would be pointless to state questions since most were personally crafted. Again you receive an e-mail asking an invite to the next round on the next day.
    5) Final face to face: This time you would have an interview with one higher manager, for me it was from the analytics side. In my particular experience, this stage was a really frustrating experience, the interviewer came in, after introducing herself asked me 2/3 questions on my CV, and said that she didn't have any more questions. Some days after, received an e-mail thanking me for my time, but they weren't going to extend me an offer. I have rewinded my interview several times to try to understand where I failed, or what did I say that resulted in such a short dismissal by the Manager, and still can't figure it out. Maybe it is out of frustration, but I felt she didn't took the time to know me, she dismissed me based on what she concluded by looking at my CV, at this stage seems out of place and feel it is disrispectful.
    I won't give a negative opinion since the overall process and most of the people I talked with were extremely nice, however won't give a positive neither because my last interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince a client who doesn't want to buy the product because he feels is overpriced compared to our competitors. (Don't mention quality as the client is happy with competitor quality).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied through Bloomberg website - Received email correspondence to book me in for a telephonic interview - 15 min interview discussing about walk through CV, what do you know about Bloomberg and role - was invited for a face to face interview at Bloomberg London

Interview Questions
    • Technical Questions related to Fixed Income & Derivatives   Answer Question