Bloomberg L.P.

Getting the Interview

111 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details I applied online on february 2014 and after three or four weeks I was contacted by email and they asked me when it was possible to schedule an interview. After the interview was booked, I had the interview. It was about my knowledge of the role and my knowledge of the company.

Interview Question – A question asking me to explain how financial markets behave.   View Answer

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details Easy interview, very basic. The lady was very kind and asked general questions about my background and my knowledge of finance. most of the interview is centered on your knowledge of the work - that's basically customer service. I've also been asked of my life ambitions in 5 years time

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

Interview Details Application form- telephone interview- 1h shadowing and 1h panel interview- final interview
Telephone interview: straight forward. Why bloomberg?, values?, competitors?
Panel interview: was a bit trickier. In general they want you to develop almost everything you touch on. This enables you to direct the conversation. So know your stuff and background. I was asked about derivatives, previous experience and why I do not want to work there, what bloomberg differentiates from competition, they will also test your language skills, who are bloomberg customers, what is bloomberg legal, why would an investment bank buy terminals, and a couple other things. Overall the bloomberg interview was one of the more difficult ones in my view. If you make sure you mention things you really know you will be able to easily impress them because they follow your lead.

Interview Question – Sell bloomberg terminals to a swiss start up who does not agree on fees and contract duration.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details First telephone interview was pretty basic- why bloomberg, why this role, what do I know about the products offered etc.
Next round I believe was a bit harder. They asked me to pitch the terminal to a reuters user.

Interview Question – why would a researcher buy terminal over fact set ( which is super cheap in comparison )
How can a corporation hedge currency risk using bbg?
  Answer Question

London, England

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview Details The interview is three steps. First, phone interview. Second, 1 hour video interview if you are not in the UK. Third, they will fly you into London to do a face to face. Each interview you do will be with people of higher position. This starts from team member to regional heads. Be prepared to know what makes Bloomberg different.

Interview Question – Can you tell me what is Bloomberg's greatest industry penetration in a specific country?   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied online. Got a phone interview 3 days later, which was relaxed and had mainly basic questions. Then got invited to attend an interview the next day. It was a long process, and they emphasised the ability of salesmanship. Some questions were challenging, but weren't intended to catch me out. I think I didn't get the job due to my lack of sales experience and sales tactics.

Interview Question – Sell me your Blackberry over my iPhone.   Answer Question

Financial Analytics and Sales Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview Details Online application followed by a 20 minute phone interview and a face to face meeting ( if based in London ) or video conference. I was initially booked for f2f in London, however they have re-scheduled it for me so I could attend from Edinburgh office.
Phone interview was very generic/basic
• CV Walkthrough
• Why Bloomberg?
• What do you know about the company?
• What do you know about the role?
• What’s the difference between good and great customer service?
• How do you keep up to date with financial news?
• How would you rate your financial knowledge on a scale from 1 to 10
Also the interviewer mentioned that he’d normally ask questions about financial markets ( general knowledge ) however because I had a degree in Investments Analysis he said he’s not going to bother.
Face to face / video conference ( 1 hour )
Similar questions at the beginning– why Bloomberg , why this role, what do you know about the company, what do you know about this role.
• Then few more detailed questions
• What are Bloomberg products?
• How would you sell a Bloomberg terminal to a Turkish Airline?
This went into a bit more details. They were asking about the factors that influence FX rate flucation, how can you hedge a risk, how a company can use financial data.
• How would you convince a customer to switch from cheaper competitor product to Bloomberg?
• If you had customers requesting a meeting, one that wanted to cancel subscription and a new customer, which meeting would you attend first and why?
• What products could you use to hedge risk and how they work? ( futures, options etc )
• Tell me about an article / news story that have interested you in the last week?
Interviewers were very nice ( 15 minutes late though ) and it was a pleasant interview. Still waiting to hear back if I was successful ( they will let me know in the next 2/3 days )
The last stage is f2f interview in the London office. Overall very positive experience.

Interview Question – How would you sell a Bloomberg terminal to a Turkish Airline?   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2013.

Interview Details I had 2 phone interviews. It was a bit strange as normally phone interview should be one.
Also questions were almost same...

Questions: why you want this position, what do you know about Bloomberg, what is your career plan etc...

It took more than 2 months to hear from feedback.

I sent e-mails to HR but they just ignored...although at first HR sent an e-mail to me through e-financial career website. Also I visited Bloomberg to know more about company.

It was disappointing and frustrating.

London, England

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2013.

Interview Details The process started with a phone interview. Very standard, with quick questions about the company, my profile/motivations (15min).
Then I had a 2-1 interview, with more detailed questions about the company (positioning, strenghs, competition), my motivations/abilities, how to sell bloom to a small company not using it, this job vs a banking job, interest in the financial markets. Now Im waiting for the final 2-1 interview.

Interview Question – How would you sell the terminal?   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2010.

Interview Details Phone interview, half in English and half in Japanese, with the standard questions - why Bloomberg, why finance, what are your goals working at this company etc. Also simple finance questions e.g. what is the difference between a stock and a bond, explain what an option is. The Japanese questions were largely the same questions so seems to have been more a test of Japanese ability than further information finding.

Two one to one interviews on separate days. The first was sales focused and there were a number of questions asking how I would sell Bloomberg over a competitor. They also asked me to talk about current business and finance stories - reading the Financial Times or similar for a week beforehand would be adequate preparation.

The second one to one interview was more personality and skill based. This involved a number of mathematical questions, none difficult (what is 15 squared, what is 35% of 20), and further queries on recent financial news.

Interview Question – Who is the CEO of General Electric   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Bloomberg L.P.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!

Bloomberg L.P. – Why Work for Us?

Bloomberg’s global mission is to help individuals, enterprises and governments make smarter, faster, more profitable decisions — first. In order to get there, we need constant ideas, energy, innovation— which is where… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics interview questions and advice. All 111 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bloomberg L.P. employees and interview candidates.