Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated 14 Apr 2015
Updated 14 Apr 2015

3.2

Financial Software Developer Interview

Interview

Phone interview starting with "Why Bloomberg", moving on to a discussion of language features of Java and C++, a question about data structures, then two coding questions on HackerRank. Not very difficult, it was more or less a basic competency test.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Speedy interview process, within 4 weeks I went from submitting my CV to being rejected. It starts with a phone interview, followed by a jabber (skype) interview followed by onsites. Very focused around C/C++. Despite them telling you you can use any language, every answer you give will be redirected to a C/C++ question. Know how those languages work internally, very much focus on that. Actual problem solving part was very easy, and actually found the jabber interview harder than onsites. Despite solving all their problems, I failed some C/C++ language knowledge questions and got rejected. They seem to
    value actual knowledge more than problem-sovling abilities, so keep that in mind.

Interview Questions

• How does GC work in Java. C/C++ memory management and parameter passing mechanisms. Actual problem solving questions are easy and standard, have a look at careercup for some examples. They don't really bother changing them so you might get the same ones as on there.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England) in October 2014.

Interview

I met a Bloomberg recruiter at a career fair. Discussed 5 minutes about my resume (Previous work experience, Preferred programming languages, ...) and then scheduled two technical interviews the day after.

The first interview was with two young very cool guys from two different teams. I was asked basic (But sometimes tricky) questions about C and Java, mostly about memory allocation. I was also required to code a reverse string function, and to correct and improve an ugly piece of code written in C. They are definitely not here to trick you, and will guide you to the right solution if you make a mistake.

The second interview started with basic questions (Why Bloomberg, why do you want to be a software developer, ...), and I was then asked to design an algorithm (See below), and implement it in Java. As for the previous interview, the last 15 minutes were dedicated to a very nice conversation with the interviewer.

Two days letter I got contacted by a HR manager to schedule an interview with them. After a 10 minutes chat, they gave me an offer.

Interview Questions

• Design an algorithm to find the first unique element in an array.   6 Answers
    • How is memory managed in Java. Explain what the garbage collector is.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Nothing to negotiate here. The package offered by Bloomberg is incredibly high for an internship!

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied online, scheduled a telephone interview within one week. The interview contains some HR question as well as technical questions. The technical questions are related basic data structure, java virtual machine, C++ vs Java, etc. I found the interview is positive and the interviewer is very patient and helpful. Passed this round and now is waiting for an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• When developing financial software, what do you think is different from normal software development?   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England) in March 2014.

Interview

entry level - London.
    mostly basic c/c++ and compilation questions.
    c++ class and characteristic.
    oop properties.
    exception
    compilation.

Interview Questions

• Heap and Stack When compilation and calling functions   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

Interview

Phone interview asking basic C++ questions and some HR ones (why do you want to work for Bloomberg) followed by an on-site interview at their London office. On-site interview consisted of 2 technical interviews where they asked some simple algorithmic problems and asked to write some code on paper, plus a few questions on C++.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Interview

Applied online and the process took 3 days. The phone interview was relatively easy. The questions were mainly about C++. Asked what are overloading and overriding, pass by value and pass by reference, what are the default generated methods for a class etc. Some behaviour questions and Java questions. Two days later got the onsite interview invitation.

Interview Questions

• the unexpected question was "is the vector consecutive". I thought it wasn't as if it were consecutive then we would be able to use pointer arithmetic to iterate through the vector but i haven't seen that. I then was told it was actually consecutive. Just think about how vector is implemented and you won't miss it. The phone interview is easier than I expected. Nothing too difficult and the interviewer is quite nice.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England) in November 2013.

Interview

First off there was a phone interview where I was asked about object oriented principles, and then a couple of specific questions about my favourite language. Then the second interview was a video conference during which I had to answer computer science type questions and write some bits of code for them.

Interview Questions

• Probably the easiest but one that I hadn't even thought of - why do you want to work for Bloomberg? Things that popped into my head were 'because I want a job'. Thankfully I blagged something about their open office environment.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England) in March 2013.

Interview

Bloomberg's application process is tightly integrated with LinkedIn, so if you have a LinkedIn profile then it's very easy to simply import your profile in.

The first step was a 30 minute long phone interview. This was primarily about basics of C++ programming. I'd highly recommend candidates to brush up on pointers, C++ STL container classes such as vectors and hash maps, memory management (e.g. why is malloc not used any more).

I got an email offering a face-to-face interview at their London office within two days. The guidance on this was that the interview would last "at least an hour, but please allow for up to three hours". I assume that the length of the interview depends on how far deserving of a candidate you are. The interview was conducted by a engineering team manager and a lead programmer on one of their teams. The first set of questions was solely about pointers and how they are referenced / dereferenced in situations; really fundamental stuff but if you're not clear then you're likely to trip up at some point. Like I did. I did manage to backtrack and walk them through my correct solution when they gave me a hint on one of the trickier ones but I knew by that point my interview was shot. They wrapped it up after exactly an hour.

The whole process was extremely quick, it seemed like everyone was on the ball.

Interview Questions

• When using a hash table, what happens if the hashing function generate the same key as an existing entry?   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England).

Interview

I had a first interview over the phone for simple java questions after which I got invited for an inhouse interview.
    They showed me some c code to see my understanding of it. They asked me about some pointer etc types and if I could identify them and some string manipulation. Also some more algorithmic questions.

Interview Questions

• A rabbit wants to climb some stairs and it can do steps of 1 or 2. How many possible paths are there to follow ( e.g 1-1-1... or 2-2-2 ... or 2-1-2-1... etc)   6 Answers
    • You have a buffer with integer the size of a byte how can you find the first non repeating number   Answer Question