Bloomberg L.P.

Getting the Interview

242 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview Details entry level - London.
mostly basic c/c++ and compilation questions.
c++ class and characteristic.
oop properties.
exception
compilation.

Interview Question – Heap and Stack When compilation and calling functions   View Answer

Financial Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details Applied online, scheduled a telephone interview within one week. The interview contains some HR question as well as technical questions. The technical questions are related basic data structure, java virtual machine, C++ vs Java, etc. I found the interview is positive and the interviewer is very patient and helpful. Passed this round and now is waiting for an on-site interview.

Interview Question – When developing financial software, what do you think is different from normal software development?   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details Phone interview asking basic C++ questions and some HR ones (why do you want to work for Bloomberg) followed by an on-site interview at their London office. On-site interview consisted of 2 technical interviews where they asked some simple algorithmic problems and asked to write some code on paper, plus a few questions on C++.

Interview Question – What is a virtual pointer   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2013.

Interview Details First off there was a phone interview where I was asked about object oriented principles, and then a couple of specific questions about my favourite language. Then the second interview was a video conference during which I had to answer computer science type questions and write some bits of code for them.

Interview Question – Probably the easiest but one that I hadn't even thought of - why do you want to work for Bloomberg? Things that popped into my head were 'because I want a job'. Thankfully I blagged something about their open office environment.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details Applied online and the process took 3 days. The phone interview was relatively easy. The questions were mainly about C++. Asked what are overloading and overriding, pass by value and pass by reference, what are the default generated methods for a class etc. Some behaviour questions and Java questions. Two days later got the onsite interview invitation.

Interview Question – the unexpected question was "is the vector consecutive". I thought it wasn't as if it were consecutive then we would be able to use pointer arithmetic to iterate through the vector but i haven't seen that. I then was told it was actually consecutive. Just think about how vector is implemented and you won't miss it. The phone interview is easier than I expected. Nothing too difficult and the interviewer is quite nice.   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

Interview Details Bloomberg's application process is tightly integrated with LinkedIn, so if you have a LinkedIn profile then it's very easy to simply import your profile in.

The first step was a 30 minute long phone interview. This was primarily about basics of C++ programming. I'd highly recommend candidates to brush up on pointers, C++ STL container classes such as vectors and hash maps, memory management (e.g. why is malloc not used any more).

I got an email offering a face-to-face interview at their London office within two days. The guidance on this was that the interview would last "at least an hour, but please allow for up to three hours". I assume that the length of the interview depends on how far deserving of a candidate you are. The interview was conducted by a engineering team manager and a lead programmer on one of their teams. The first set of questions was solely about pointers and how they are referenced / dereferenced in situations; really fundamental stuff but if you're not clear then you're likely to trip up at some point. Like I did. I did manage to backtrack and walk them through my correct solution when they gave me a hint on one of the trickier ones but I knew by that point my interview was shot. They wrapped it up after exactly an hour.

The whole process was extremely quick, it seemed like everyone was on the ball.

Interview Question – When using a hash table, what happens if the hashing function generate the same key as an existing entry?   View Answer

London, England

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details I had a first interview over the phone for simple java questions after which I got invited for an inhouse interview.
They showed me some c code to see my understanding of it. They asked me about some pointer etc types and if I could identify them and some string manipulation. Also some more algorithmic questions.

Interview Questions

• A rabbit wants to climb some stairs and it can do steps of 1 or 2. How many possible paths are there to follow ( e.g 1-1-1... or 2-2-2 ... or 2-1-2-1... etc)   View Answers (3)
  • You have a buffer with integer the size of a byte how can you find the first non repeating number   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2012.

Interview Details I applied for a non-computer science entry level position. They got back to me really fast (a couple of days). The phone interview was fast, they asked about my university work and any programming experience. They asked afterwards about stack/ heap, garbage collection in c++ vs java, and other simple things. I was invited to a face to face interview, where I was asked why I wanted to work for Bloomberg, and what makes me a sensible choice.

They asked about finding the 1st missing element in a sorted N-1 set of numbers (they were looking at sublinear complexity algorithms, not the sum from 1 to N minus the sum of all elements in the set, which is linear complexity).

They asked about finding the maximum loss of a trading day given the numbers, and how I would implement it.

They replied roughly 24 hours after the face to face interview. It was a fairly nice experience actually (yes they do have free snacks and coffee at the office and very beautiful aquariums).

Interview Questions

• 1st missing number in a sorted set of N-1 integers (numbers between 1 and N) ?   View Answer
  • Keeping track of maximum loss of the day given 1 index and the prices.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2008.

Interview Details 30 minute phone interview, followed by in-house interview.
I lasted 3-4 hours and consisted of 3 technical and 1 HR interview.
Typical questions asked were about programming, puzzles, algorithms, etc

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate

London, England

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2012.

Interview Details Emailed a CV and cover letter. Next I did an online logic test to determine my reasoning skills and attention to detail. I was then offered an interview with a couple of software developers in London. The interview was focused on technical knowledge, reasoning, and my motivation to work for Bloomberg. The interviewers seemed like nice guys who enjoyed their work. They asked reasonably tough questions but were encouraging about my answers. The London office was in a beautiful old building that was very modern inside, all glass walls and neon lights. Large free snack buffet for employees. News feeds all over the place might make it stressful... The office culture in general seemed very finance oriented, suit and tie, but the software guys (my interviewers) were in torn jeans and t-shirts. They said they worked hard but were well rewarded and enjoyed the fast pace of the job. I was informed the following day that I hadn't made the cut. I requested reimbursement for my travel expenses and they were paid in due course.

Interview Question – I was asked about the difference in how garbage collection would be handled in Java v. C or C++   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Bloomberg L.P.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!

Bloomberg L.P. – Why Work for Us?

Bloomberg’s global mission is to help individuals, enterprises and governments make smarter, faster, more profitable decisions — first. In order to get there, we need constant ideas, energy, innovation— which is where… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 242 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bloomberg L.P. employees and interview candidates.