Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions

Updated 30 Oct 2014
1,910 Interview Reviews

3.1

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview was quite basic, as already described. Why do you want to work here? / Why Bloomberg; What do you know about Bloomberg?;

Most questions are listed already, some others came from my cv and answers, so it's rather pointless to list them, but beware of what you say, if you lie it might fire back.

Interview Questions
    • How can you sell Bloomberg to a group of strangers in a room when you have no time to prepare at all?   Answer Question

Global Data Analyst Interview

Basic application process consisting of a phone interview and two other interviews at their office.
    The online application was very simple, you do not need to write long essays as in other places. Then the phone interview is simple as well, you are asked why Bloomberg, why this position and some other competency questions about teamwork, leadership etc.
    The second interview was with a member of the team, it was easy and did not require lots of preparation.... Just stay calm and enjoy the interview.
    Third the same as the second interview.

Market Data Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I just had my telephone interview completed, and now got a call for the in house interview.
    All the typical questions as why BB, How you fit for the role, what makes you unique,Where you see yourself in five years, Why finance stream.

Financial Product Sales and Analytics Interview

The whole process took just over a week. I was referred by a employee of the firm. I passed the telephone interview and a day later I was invited for a face to face interview and work shadow which lasted for 1hr 30 mins.

Technological Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Bloomberg set up campus interviews at our university and we were encouraged to apply. The initial screening was very prompt, with me receiving an invitation to interview with them within a week of application, a few days before the interview was to occur. The initial interview was with 2 software developers at Bloomberg and it was a basic technical interview. I was given a choice of language upon which the questions would be based; I chose Java. They asked me about some definitions (JVM and Java interface) and about how garbage collection worked. After that I had to write some code (not necessarily syntactically correct) to implement some things. First I had to implement a doubly linked list, then a method to reverse the order of the nodes. The last question was picking a letter than occurs once out of an array with letters with multiple instances. Overall the interview was quite professional. The interviewers were very friendly and made me feel quite comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Our data structure professor disliked linked lists and as a result I didn't have much practice with them. However if you have knowledge of the concepts it should all be fine.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview was quite basic, as already described.
    In-house was structured in such a way that no question was neutral. (Ie. Not "why we should hire you", but rather "Honestly, from your Cv I can't see why should we hire you").
    I guess they want to see how you cope with stress.

Interview Questions
    • Why would Tesco use our terminal? Who would you target there if you were to try and sell one?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

They have very inefficient and disorganised recruitment process lol I applied in August and heard nothing until mid-September. Then I got invited to a telephone interview, nothing for 2 weeks after that (so thought i had failed) then got invited for an in-house interview. Still waiting to hear back from them. They said there would be 2 more interviews, so telephone + 3 interviews..quite hectic.

1. Telephone interview
    Very quick, manager of a department, seemed very busy and uninterested in what I say.
    - Do you have any sales experience, etc.

2. In house-interview
    -Why financial services and not banking
    -what other firms have you applied to
    - any customer service experience
    - rate your financial knowledge in 1-10 (don't say 10, they just want this for follow-up questions)
    - what is a market cap
    - what is credit default swap
    - what's ur understanding of this role

The interviewers were very friendly and made me feel relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • scenario questions (if you had this client acting this way and another acting this way, what would you do and in which order?)   Answer Question

Analytics Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I went to an open door event where they were showing what the job was about - at the end it's a customer care of very high level. You interact with customers mainly on chat. I spoke with two Italian people, very good people who were asking me why I wanted to change my career to finance (I was coming from a different background) I told them I wanted to try to something new, different. They started to ask me questions about financial terms which I only partially knew. At the end we kinda of agreed that I didn't want the job and they didn't want me to do the job - it's a win2win situation

Interview Questions
    • Explain strategy of European Central Bank about interests / difference between a future and a forward   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

The whole process lasted for three weeks approximately, it was composed of 5 rounds:

1) Online Application: Pretty Straightforward, submit CV + Cover Letter and asnwer a couple of basic questions.
    2) Phone Interview: You would receive an e-mail asking if you were available at a certain date, after confirming the appointment would receive a phone call from a Team Leader of the analytics team. The interview will start with introduction, then some basic questions Why Bloomberg? Why do you feel you are a good match? Bloomberg Products? Afterwards it would glance some financial concepts, and your understanding of the range of the product, how clients benefit from it. After we hung up I received an e-mail asking me for a face to face interview.
    3) First Face to face: In this stage you would be in an interview with two team leaders,one from sales and the other from analytics, they would drill a little bit harder on your knowledge of the company, besides the sames questions stated above, they would get on specifics like current news. Afterwards they'll test you on financial knowledge to see your proficiency; in my case it was some derivatives knowledge but I guess it could be anything, finally some sales scenario asking you to sale something you like, this one was tricky because they would be resilient into not buying, you have to be creative into solving any excuses the manager gives you. After the interview next day received e-mail inviting to the next round.
    4) Second Face to face: On this stage, you would have an interview again one representative of each department, this time of a more senior level. The interview was quite random, and it drifted from questions around my cv, difficult financial questions, sales expertise, and personality fit. It was a long interview. It would be pointless to state questions since most were personally crafted. Again you receive an e-mail asking an invite to the next round on the next day.
    5) Final face to face: This time you would have an interview with one higher manager, for me it was from the analytics side. In my particular experience, this stage was a really frustrating experience, the interviewer came in, after introducing herself asked me 2/3 questions on my CV, and said that she didn't have any more questions. Some days after, received an e-mail thanking me for my time, but they weren't going to extend me an offer. I have rewinded my interview several times to try to understand where I failed, or what did I say that resulted in such a short dismissal by the Manager, and still can't figure it out. Maybe it is out of frustration, but I felt she didn't took the time to know me, she dismissed me based on what she concluded by looking at my CV, at this stage seems out of place and feel it is disrispectful.
    I won't give a negative opinion since the overall process and most of the people I talked with were extremely nice, however won't give a positive neither because my last interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince a client who doesn't want to buy the product because he feels is overpriced compared to our competitors. (Don't mention quality as the client is happy with competitor quality).   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Interview

got the phone interview the day after submitting the online app. very efficient. Just simple questions regarding your CV, why Bloomberg, why this role, your skills...Now still during the process with them.

Interview Questions
    • sell the terminal to non-financial institutions   View Answer