Bloomberg L.P.

Updated 27 Jan 2015
2,090 Interview Reviews

3.1

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Speedy interview process, within 4 weeks I went from submitting my CV to being rejected. It starts with a phone interview, followed by a jabber (skype) interview followed by onsites. Very focused around C/C++. Despite them telling you you can use any language, every answer you give will be redirected to a C/C++ question. Know how those languages work internally, very much focus on that. Actual problem solving part was very easy, and actually found the jabber interview harder than onsites. Despite solving all their problems, I failed some C/C++ language knowledge questions and got rejected. They seem to
    value actual knowledge more than problem-sovling abilities, so keep that in mind.

Interview Questions
    • How does GC work in Java. C/C++ memory management and parameter passing mechanisms. Actual problem solving questions are easy and standard, have a look at careercup for some examples. They don't really bother changing them so you might get the same ones as on there.   Answer Question

Contracts Representative - Portuguese Speaking Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I had the telephone interview, which was pretty normal and the interviewer was very polite. Although the HR lady booking the interviews was not able to spell the word "Portuguese" properly (she wrote "Portuges" in more than once email), she was also professional and her responses were very quick. Then I have been to the 1:1 interview. I have been interviewed by the 2 team leaders for the team who manage the contracts. They were both late but apologetic. They took me to a cubicle and, although the walls were made of glass, I felt claustrophobic and quite uncomfortable because there were 3 people sited inside that room and I could barely move (I couldn't even cross my legs and had no space to put my bag or to rest my paperwork).

The Asian team leader said they would check my French skills. I said I don't speak French, then she looked at my CV and said that they would test my Spanish and Italian skills. I said that I am not able to speak both languages at the same time because they're similar and I get quite confused (because I already speak English and Portuguese) and she should choose one of them (Spanish or Italian) to test, she ignored me. Then a 4th person came to the room (!) and couldn't sit, obviously. She tested my Italian skills and immediately after my Spanish skills, which have compromised the 2nd language. I have been told that it would be a competency interview and if I knew they were going to test my language skills, I would have told them that I can't speak more than 3 languages in one go and would have prepared to answer questions in Spanish, if they had chosen this language instead of Italian. The job is for a Portuguese speaker, if they want to test other languages, they should advise me before.

But the most bizarre part was still to happen. The Eastern European team leader said that she could see that I have worked as a manager before. I said that I have managed a team of 6 before, for only 6 months, and then she started me to ask me management questions!!! I answered them, but I was really confused, as the advert said it was an entry level. After 2 or 3 questions about this subject, they asked me what I would do if my colleague would never finish his cases. I said that I would report it to my manager. The Asian team leader got angry and said: "Yes, but you don't try to sort the problem out first?", I said "Obviously, but if he NEVER finishes his job, I supposed that I have already asked him to finish". Then she said that this is not enough, that I should MAKE my colleague finish!

At the and we had difficulties to leave the room, because there was no space to open the door without moving the chairs. There was no space to move the chairs if we remained stand up. One of the team leaders had to sit again and the one standing up had to pile chair on the top of the other, so we could open the door. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.

While I took half a day holiday from my current job to go to the interview and prepared myself to the role described on the job advert, they haven't prepared a room for me, they haven't read my CV 5 minutes before they've came to meet me, they didn't even know what they were interviewing for! The Asian team leader was already so angry with me and I don't even work there. It gave me the impression that some colleagues don't do their jobs properly and they obviously want someone to sort problems out for them and get in an fight with their colleagues all the time. It must be a horrible environment in that team!

They said they would do their best to give me the result in 2 weeks time. This was the 23rd October. I was not worried because after all I would have refused an invitation for a 2nd interview. Bloomberg emailed me saying they wouldn't take it forward on the 23rd December, TWO MONTHS LATER! It was an automated message and the last line was: "Replies to this message are undeliverable and will not reach the Human Resources Department. Please do not reply.", so they wouldn't give me any feedback.

They must be very fussy, because the fist advert came out in September 2015; we are in January 2015 and they are still advertising the same job (and they said they needed only one person).

On Boxing Day Bloomberg sent me a survey. Most people, including myself, were on holidays on that period. Today I clicked in the link to do it, it was already expired. It makes me wonder if they really would like to know about my interviews?

I used to admire and respect Bloomberg, but after this experience, I will never apply to any job in that company again. It made me appreciate a lot more my job and realize there are places a lot more disorganized than my current job.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of behavioural questions about management experience (the job is an entry level).   Answer Question

Bloomberg Campus Ambassador Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Online application with a CV and optional covering letter with additional supporting documents. There was also a couple of motivational questions for why Bloomberg and why this role.Correspondence was within one week of submission and had a telephone interview for the role. Training was subsequently done online and throughout the year.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine you took on the job tomorrow, what marketing strategies would you use to encourage BAT participation?   Answer Question

Sales & Analytics Graduate Program Interview

1) Phone interview
    2) On site interview with between 2 and 3 people
    3) Up to 2 more phone interviews with Top Management
    4) Offer from HR

Phone Interview with usually a person doing the Terminal Sales & Analytics Graduate program with 1 to 2 years experience. He/She will be able to choose if you can carry on the interviews or not so prepare well and show your motivation.

On site Interview or Video conference will usually be with a Team Leader from Analytics and Team Leader from Sales. Questions can be technical and a lot about your motivations on why a technology company and why a support and then sales positions (most important interview)

Last interview will be with Department Managers. It's a last check to confirm your personality fits with the company and if your answers are in lines with what you said earlier.

Interview Questions
    • *Explain a CDS to your grand mother ?
      *What is the difference between a Forward and a Future ?
      *What is the difference between a Feature and a Benefit ?
      *If you are interested in Finance, why don't just you go to a Bank or Hedge Funds ?
      *If a Client contact you because his Bloomberg Terminal is not working, Which wuaetions would you ask for troubleshooting purpose to try to resolve the issue.

Answer Question
    No real negociation at this level of employment

Global Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2015.

I had a phone interview with the classic questions you can find here. Why Bloomberg? why this position? how do you think will be one typical day working in this division? how is our main competitor? then few hypothetical questions about common situations you could have at work.

Two days after I was invited to an in-house interview and by phone they said there are three interview steps, so still going on.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about one idea you had to improve something and what was the result   Answer Question

Global Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

4 stages: phone interview, 2 in house interview and then one conference call with the NYC office.
    The questions are always the same during the interviews: why bloomberg/why this role/what are the competitors of Bloomberg/ what is the difference between Bloomberg and Reuters.
    Also some questions that you have to answer quickly: do you prefer daily or long term tasks?/ would you rather give a figure not accurate or not give it at all?/do you prefer precise instructions or no instructions at all?
    Finally, I had the feeling that most of the questions were motivational. Also prepare questions about the Bloomberg culture and the career path you would like to have in the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2014.

Recruiter called me and proposed the above role with Bloomberg. Interview with two members of the team.Competency based and some questions regarding recent evemnts in the financial markets and commodities especially, as the role was focused on energy markets. They insist on why Bloomberg and why not an Investment Bank.

Interview Questions
    • If you have 10m where to invest.Marketing or Bloomberg Terminal?   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Bootcamp Interview

Online application - standard questions,
    phone interview - walk me through your CV, why bloomberg? what do you think Sales and Analytics is? What do you know about the terminal? What is Bloomberg's current share price? (trick question)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2014.

I applied online through their platform, where I had to provide a CV, cover letter, a transcript and had to answer a question "Why do you want to become a software engineer?".

I got an email from the HR department asking me to pick a 45-minute slot within the next two weeks where I could participate to a telephone interview. Also, they requested me to have access to a computer with internet connection during the interview for the technical part.

The interview started off with a guy from the R&D department describing the whole process: basic questions related to the company followed by a technical. Some basic questions: "Why do you want to work for Bloomberg?", "What do you know about Bloomberg?", "Tell me about a project that you enjoyed", "What did you learn by working on this project?", etc.

After that, we switched to the technical part, which is taken in your most familiar programming language(I did it in Java), where I had to answer basic questions about how Java works, the JVM, difference between Java and C++. Also, had to answer basic questions about wrapper classes, how java handles pointers, and had to come up with an algorithm to a specific scenario.

The guy was really nice and always tried to encourage and help me during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Had to think of an efficient algorithm to calculate the average of an array by removing the minimum and maximum.   View Answer

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Submitted application online, got an instant reply to schedule phone interview. HR called me up and conducted a 40 minutes interview about my motivation, financial knowledge and news. Interviewer asked a lot of questions and threw a lot of unexpected information at you.