Bloomberg L.P.

Updated 4 Mar 2015
Updated 4 Mar 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Sent application at the beginning of december, recieved invitation for phone interview about one month later.
    Phone interview was quite normal, mostly motivational, background and roleplay questions:
    Why financial products and sales? Why not banking? Why exactly this role? Who are bloomberg's competitors? What's the difference between Bloomberg Tradebook and Terminal? What's Bloomberg Vault? What's Bloomberg Government? How many companies are tracked by Bloomberg Terminal (24.000)? Then followed some questiones about me and my studies (i study finance). What's the most common way companies raise capitals? What's the QE? How would you hedge from risks in finance? Than situational kind of questions: How would you sell Coca Cola the terminal? Why would it use a Terminal? Imagine i am JPMorgan and i wanna decrease the number of terminals because Eikon is cheaper, how would you convince me to not do it? Imagine i am an angry customer calling you because I can't find UBS ticker, but you don't have info about me. How would you act?

After two days I received a mail stating I would have been invited to the in-house interview. IMPORTANT: in case you receive this mail, don't feel like you have the job. Almost everybody passes the phone interview. So, it's not indicative whether you nailed it or not.

In house interview: First. arrive on time.. Second, try to get to know people when you get in, but don't stay too far away from where they ask you to wait your interviewers. Be kind, friendly, self confident, and act like a normal person. In the beginning i had to shadow an employee in the analytics office. This people is quite funny and they take it so easy when working. They receive "tickets" (the chat questions from terminal users) and answer right on time. Very nice job by the way. The employee was actually glad to see how many things i knew of the terminal even thought i never used one. Then it came the moment. The interviewers (managers for analytics and sales teams) took me to a room for a 2:1 interview. They started asking: Introduce yourself in one minute; tell me 5 skills you think you built from your past experience; Try to sell me the product you sold in your previous job (yes, it's a call simulation); Imagine i'm a millionaire and i want to use Eikon cause it costs less. Sell me the terminal (other situational question. Remember to leverage on the price-quality standard, but sell your bullets slowly and at the right moment); Who mainly uses the Terminal and why? (than, interview turned from my own language to english) What problems do you think Bloomberg is facing at the moment? (IM messaging replications, Federated chat, Data governance, catch-up from other companies, do your own intelligent search); Why exactly Bloomberg? Why not Banking? What do you think about the actual financial market situation? Where would you invest now? What's the difference between Options and Futures? What is the current American economic situation? What would you look at if you'd invest in bonds? (did not really get what he ment for "look at" because i summed up all Bonds decision theory but he didn't seem convinced...however, might have been my fault). Then the interview got easier, talking about other products of Bloomberg and nothing more. I also asked a few questions at the end. However, I was kinda sure I made it. I was self confident, did a very good research, roleplayed a lot and felt so prepared about anything. Everything worked fine for me. Until the day after, when I received a mail stating "you're no long being considered". Ok. Got it. I did some self-questioning about what possibly went wrong, and here i come to the end of this good (yes, it was positive after all) experience with a few tricks: Don't smile too much. Listen to yourself. Listen to them. Come straight to the point. Be self confident but not too much. Don't bombard them with info you think might be a good mark for you, because they're gonna go deeper (and remember we have limited info about it). Be the best, and remember that you have to sell yourself as a good investment for them. Don't ask about possibility for entering other roles (yes, it might be possible, but i asked if Sales is the only possibility after analytics, and it was the footstep to my doom).

Finally. Don't act too friendly. Be yourself. Or, well, not too much yourself, but the "you" that you think Bloomberg wants. Good luck everybody. I'll try again in July (let 6 months pass, otherwise they won't consider your cv) ;)

Global Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Sent an online application, got a phone interview with all the normal questions you get always (why bloomberg?, why this position? who are our main competitors? what about bloomberg's corporate behaviour you like? give me an example of a position of leadership you filled? etc.)
    Phone interviewer was very nice and the whole thing took about 20 minutes. got an invitation for an in-house interview that same day.

Interview Questions
    • (why bloomberg?, why this position? who are our main competitors? what about bloomberg's corporate behaviour you like? give me an example of a position of leadership you filled? etc.)   Answer Question

Global Data Analyst/Scandinavian Speaker Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview bas basically to see if Bloomberg is the right company for me. They just wanted an overall idea how my communication skills were, and how I explain different things. Went through my Cv and background, and why I`m applying for this position.
    Have in house interview so still ongoing.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you applying for this position, and some motivational questions.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview then face to face. Positive experience and team was really kind and helpful. The interviewer was really pleasant, friendly and knew her stuff. When she realised I had misunderstood a question she rephrased it and let me re-answer which was helpful. They said the turnaround would be 1-2 days and got back to me within 4 hours to let me know I'd passed.

Interview Questions
    • Company info, motivational, wider market/finance knowledge.   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online with CV and cover letter. Was emailed on phone interview after a few weeks. Interview lasted 30 to 40 mins, based on competencies and biographical and motivational questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why Bloomberg? How would you sell a terminal to a non financial based company? How would you convince a firm that has closed a department that uses its terminals to keep the terminals? What are bloombergs products? Run through your CV   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Firstly the application form has to be filled which took around two weeks for them to get back. Once the application is selected, invites you for a technical telephone interview on C++. Once you complete the telephone interview successfully, you will be invited for the AC.

Software Development Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Firstly, there was a phone interview; this consisted of simple questions about computer science; so knowledge about data structures, the difference between the heap and the stack, a little OS knowledge, followed by a short language specific test over HackerRank - I was asked to reverse a string in place, and then implement a basic insertion sort for an array of chars.

Later that day I was informed that I was successful in the phone interview and I was invited to a face-to-face interview at their offices in London. That interview consisted of 3 sections, the first was a 2:1 interview, where I was asked C++ syntax specific questions, for instance given a short section of code I was asked the types of certain variables and the resulting types of certain operations on them. I also had to write a program to calculate the lowest common multiple of a multiset of integers, finding the maximum height of a non-self balancing binary tree and I was asked about the complexity of my algorithms.

The next section was a 1:1 interview with a senior developer, this was a more theoretical test, with more focus on higher-level ideas such as which data structures would be applicable to certain types of problems, rather than worrying about the lower-level syntactic implementation. I was asked to design an algorithm to process financial data and return the highest movers of the day.

The final section was a HR-based section, where I was shown the Bloomberg Terminal and its basic functionality, followed by being shown around the offices and introduced to people; everyone was friendly and willing to give information about the jobs available.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

First apply online, then telephone interview, then a face to face in the regional office and final round interview in the location to where you apply to. People in Bloomberg are very nice generally, loved offices both in London and Moscow. They've got a cool ID system - they take a picture of you at the reception when you arrive and then the picture follows you across their offices.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about the role, what is your motivation, what is your relevant experience, why this company, what are the company's products, current affairs, who would you contact to make a sale in a non-financial firm, how would you prioritise various people when they make inquiries at the same time.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Telephone Interview. Was not so hard. It was my first interview so i was a bit excited and honestly i did not have any sales experience. simple questions such as why bloomberg? why sales? why not to work in a bank? (my previous work) then going through CV. knowledge of financial markets from 1 to 10 and etc. overall it can give you a clear idea of how to be prepared for the future telephone interviews.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

They call me for the phone interview 2 weeks after they emailed me. The interviewer started the conversation asking about the resume and to walk him through it. After that he asked some questions about Bloomberg products and its competitors. He also asked me if I keep myself update with financial markets news and to speak about one new that struck me more.

Interview Questions
    • What differentiate Bloomberg from its competitors? Why should we hire you? Scenario question   Answer Question