Bluestem Brands Interview Questions

Updated 1 Apr 2015
Updated 1 Apr 2015

2.8

IT Desktop Architecture and Support Manager Interview

Interview

I applied online via the website, which seemed clunky and I wasn't able to track the progress of my application moving forward.
    The recruiter reached out to me three weeks later and asked to schedule a phone interview. We scheduled it for the middle of the following week.
    The day prior to the phone interview, the recruiter reached out to me via e-mail to inform me they had found "the perfect fit" and were moving forward with another person, essentially canceling my phone interview.
    Needless to say, I thought it was somewhat unprofessional to schedule a phone interview with me and cancel less than 24 hours before it was to take place.
    If the company was that far along in the process with someone (offer stage), why would they schedule a phone interview with me? I would think the company would have gone through and interviewed ALL of the candidates before making a selection.

Project Management Interview

Interview

Long process, spanned over 3 months. Little communication from the HR contact. One phone interview, two additional on site interviews. The people I met with seemed very nice, bright and qualified. The lack of communication/ feedback during the entire process was really strange.

I finally got a call on the status of the interview process, on Christmas Eve! I was informed that I would not be getting the position, they were filling thee position from within. What kind of HR department finds it appropriate to call someone on Christmas Eve to deliver that sort of news? I guess Bluestem does

Hey sometimes interviewing for a position allows you to appreciate your current position. Wow!

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with under-performing team members, I was asked this several times.   Answer Question

Bluestem Brands Response

Jan 08, 2015Manager Talent Acquisition

We want candidates to have a great experience at Bluestem, so thanks for the feedback! Here’s the skinny: Our goal is to respond “same day” to candidate requests for updates. So, if we were ... More

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeksinterviewed at Bluestem Brands in November 2014.

Interview

My initial phone interview lasted 15 minutes, pretty standard questions from an internal HR contact. The first interview took place during the first week of November. I was told they would be making a decision by by Friday the 7th. I did not hear from them and assumed that they did not wish to go forward. Two weeks later I received an email asking if I would like to interview in person. That interview went very well; the interviewer seemed on top of things, personable, and very likable. She then asked me if I would like to come in and meet the team to which I agreed.

The second face to face interview was during the 2nd week of December. When I arrived the HR contact was not on site and things were bit confused. They finally tracked down a contact and we were able to proceed. Also, one of the scheduled interviewers was also not in the office, but it was arranged for someone else to take his place. My first two interviewers that day were very impressive, knowledgeable, likable and informative. The third interviewer that day showed up about 1/2 hour late and obviously had not read my resume. That interview was very strange, almost like a negative sell. While discussing the the project he stressed his frustration with the current system, the current lack of priorities, lack of direction, and even mentioned that they may not even move forward with the project. I was called a week and 1/2 later ( on Christmas Eve) and told that they were filling the position from within.

The process started on October 28th and ended on December 24th. I really didn't appreciate the call on Christmas Eve, which certainly could have waited until after Christmas. Fortunately I have a position but I can not imagine how devastating it would be to receive such negative news on, of all days, Christmas Eve if that were not the case.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a number of times how I deal with team members who miss deadlines or under perform.   Answer Question

Dotcom Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bluestem Brands.

Interview

I was contacted a 2 days after filling out an application to schedule a phone interview and was told they really wanted to talk to me. The phone interview was very basic. I just walked through my resume and described why I would be a good fit for the position giving examples of prior work history. I was brought in the following week to have an interview with 5 different people 30 minutes each. It was a pretty easy interview. No behavioral questions just talking about my past and vision and what drives me and what I could bring to the company. Everyone was really nice and seemed to really enjoy their job. They are a really fast growing company and there is a lot of opportunity there. It has been over 3 weeks now and I have yet to hear back. There has been no communication. When I reached out to them to ask where they were in the process, they said they were still in the very beginning stages and it would be a while. Their resources are very limited in HR. If this company is serious about growing, they need to be able to handle the workload on their end to hire for the positions that they are posting for. I have spoken to others that have applied for other positions and they had the same experience.

I was excited for the opportunity to work there but this left a bad taste in my mouth. I have since moved on to another offer I received. I could not wait any longer for them to get their stuff together.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to use PowerPoint?   1 Answer

Product Content Support Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Bluestem Brands.

Interview

Had a 15 minute phone call learning about the position. Was later invited to an in-person interview that consisted of two 30 minute sessions with one interviewer each. I received positive feedback and was told they would be recommending me to fill the position. I was working with the senior recruiter who was extremely unprofessional. She was unreachable by phone and email for weeks even when the front desk told me she was in her office. I ended up getting another offer that I needed to respond to ASAP which I accepted. I couldn't wait for Bluestem to finally get back to me on the interview that I had three weeks prior. Communication was nonexistent.

Interview Questions

Bluestem Brands Response

Jun 16, 2014Senior Vice President, HR

My apologies for this situation. Bluestem would never want any employee, candidate, or customer to feel this way. I realize that you have moved on to a new role, however, please feel free to reach ... More

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bluestem Brands (Eden Prairie, MN (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

I originally had a phone interview which led into a person-to-person interview. The interview at BlueStem lasted about two hours and I met with different groups of people: marketing, sales, operations. They did a log of the talking which surprised me. They were all very nice people to talk to. I then had a final breakfast interview after I made it into the final three individuals.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bluestem Brands.

Interview

Very simple and easy. Did not really have an interview, just showed up and did the training.

Negotiation

No negotiation. This is what we have to offer.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bluestem Brands (Eden Prairie, MN (US)) in July 2013.

Interview

The interview process was really fast. Phone screnning then in person with couple members of the group. Overall good experience. They make sure the people coming in are knowlegeable and good

Interview Questions

• How will you go about solving this or this issues that of question. If you know what you are doing, those are not questions you should worry about. Basic types   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not want to negociate too much.

Creative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bluestem Brands (Eden Prairie, MN (US)).

Interview

Several sets of interviews that included human resources, peers, managers and higher level leadership. I was asked many questions about my experience, how I handled situations in my previous employment and how I would handle them here. We talked at length about the culture here. We went through my portolio in detail. The people interviewing me seemed really eager and enthusiastic to talk to me and all seemed to genuinely like the company.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about a time when I had to deliver bad news to someone, and how I handled it. That kind of threw me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a tiny bit. They have awesome benefits, so I didn't feel like I really needed to.

Marketing Analyst, ECommerce Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bluestem Brands (Eden Prairie, MN (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

I applied for the job in mid-December. I received a call shortly thereafter wanting to schedule a phone interview. I had that phone interview the day after Christmas. It was a fairly standard interview with an HR staffer.

I heard back after a couple of weeks, letting me know that I was selected for an in-person interview. I met with the hiring manager and the director of the department. These interviews went well, so I was called back in mid-February for a second interview, where I met with two other marketing employees. I really had a good conversation with one of them in particular.

I did not hear back at the time I expected followup, so I called the hiring manager. I found I did not get the job, but they were looking to see if they could add me in another role. This did not turn out as well. That being said, it was still a positive experience as I look for the right job for me.

Interview Questions

• What was a situation where you had to deal with a difficult person?   Answer Question