Borders Interview Questions

2.2

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avondale, AZ (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Borders (Avondale, AZ (US)).

Interview

This was back in 2008 when applications were still in paper format with some being online, hence I filled out the form after inquiring as to any openings, returned same day; within a week was called to see if I was still interested which I was; two days later an in-person interview on one of their cafe tables surrounded by customers and employees, the questions of why would I want to work for Borders, what are my interests, where do I see myself half a decade hence, how long would I be willing to work for them-short/long term and if I was interested in moving up the corporate ladder. The lady conducting the interview was smiling, relaxed and very friendly-she was happy that I had questions of my own for her.

Interview Questions

• Due to being six years ago, I cannot answer this question.   Answer Question

Cafe Clerk Interview

Interview

This company is out of business now so I hardly think this info is relevant to anyone anymore. But the process was pretty average with a test of knowledge about music and books, even though the position I interviewed for was the café.

President Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Borders.

Interview

the hiring process was a bit awkward. Lots of people who did not know anything aksing questions like they actually knew what they were doing. It is apparent that this company wa going down because they didn't promote based on what you could do but rather on weather or not they liked you. They cause a lot of people to hold positions that they were not qualified for. A lot of people had a lot of power without and of the skills or qualifications. They alos treated the people at store level like dirt. That is where their money was coming from to pay their salaries.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was if I would like to relocate. I didn't like the area but accepted anyway. its hard to find people who will move to this part of the country.   Answer Question

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Brunswick, NJ (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Borders (East Brunswick, NJ (US)).

Interview

Had a one round interview, first with the hiring manager/asst. manager, who then lead me to meet the store manager. Once approved by the store manager, I met the heads of the three different departments (music/cafe, cash/wrap, books). They decided where I would fit best but explained that I would end up working all over the store regardless.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how to handle customers in difficult situations i.e. during a mis-handled purchase, a botched return, angry customer that felt mistreated by employee, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I felt that the offer was generous for the work needed but I felt that I would not be able to negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland Park, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders (Highland Park, IL (US)).

Interview

Hiring was relaxed, interview was detailed including my ability to relate to customers in a friendly way. I was Johnny-on-the-Spot so had to change gears and do it quickly.

Interview Questions

• What animal was I most like and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I accepted.

Barista Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Borders.

Interview

Short 5 minute interview...got the job

Interview Questions

• They were all fairly easy, I think I had the job before I walked in   Answer Question

Children's Department Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Junction, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Borders (Grand Junction, CO (US)).

Interview

The interview was easy. I talked to the manager one on one briefly. It was pretty laid back and didn't ask anything strange or difficult. I told her how much I loved books and working with kids. I had some library experience, worked as a preschool teacher, and had a degree in early childhood education- which helped me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. She said it was all they could offer.

Sales Manager Interview

Interview

I was promoted within from cafe manager but was required to interview with the District Manager. Even though it was internal, I still dressed in "business casual". Questions were basic retail management questions and many "tell me about a time you..." Most of the questions she asked were on the company's internal site, so I was able to prepare beforehand.

Interview Questions

• What negative things do you think people say about you behind your back?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Borders.

Interview

The most challenging part of the hiring process was always the length of time it took from initial job posting to the position getting filled. Often times, candidates never heard a position was filled and they did not get the job. I just feel that's disrespectful to the candidates.

Interview Questions

• The interview process was fairly standard - it was a cookie cutter interview process straight from the HR book.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was really no ability to negotiate as an internal candidate. External candidates consistently earned a higher entry level amount than candidates promoted internally with the same experience.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southgate, MI (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Borders (Southgate, MI (US)) in August 2011.

Interview

One interview with manager.

Interview Questions

• What is a time that you were expected to provide excellent customer service in a negative situation?   Answer Question