Borders

Getting the Interview

61 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

President Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Borders.

Interview Details the hiring process was a bit awkward. Lots of people who did not know anything aksing questions like they actually knew what they were doing. It is apparent that this company wa going down because they didn't promote based on what you could do but rather on weather or not they liked you. They cause a lot of people to hold positions that they were not qualified for. A lot of people had a lot of power without and of the skills or qualifications. They alos treated the people at store level like dirt. That is where their money was coming from to pay their salaries.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was if I would like to relocate. I didn't like the area but accepted anyway. its hard to find people who will move to this part of the country.   Answer Question

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Bookseller/Barista
East Brunswick, NJ (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Borders.

Interview Details Had a one round interview, first with the hiring manager/asst. manager, who then lead me to meet the store manager. Once approved by the store manager, I met the heads of the three different departments (music/cafe, cash/wrap, books). They decided where I would fit best but explained that I would end up working all over the store regardless.

Interview Question – They asked me how to handle customers in difficult situations i.e. during a mis-handled purchase, a botched return, angry customer that felt mistreated by employee, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I felt that the offer was generous for the work needed but I felt that I would not be able to negotiate.

Book Seller Interview

Book Seller
Canoga Park, CA (US)

I applied in-person - interviewed at Borders in July 2009.

Interview Details They ask about sales experience and literature knowledge.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Highland Park, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Borders.

Interview Details Hiring was relaxed, interview was detailed including my ability to relate to customers in a friendly way. I was Johnny-on-the-Spot so had to change gears and do it quickly.

Interview Question – What animal was I most like and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I accepted.

Cashier Interview

Rockville, MD (US)

I interviewed at Borders in June 2009.

Interview Details Easy interview and relatively quick process as HR contacted 2 weeks after submitting application in store. Manager of the store was courteous and asked the usual questions in reference to interests in books and media and what my favorite topics and areas of expertise were.

Interview Question – If you had your choice of being a potato, rock or apple, which would you be?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – pay was too low

Bookseller Interview

Bookseller
Southgate, MI (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Borders in August 2011.

Interview Details One interview with manager.

Interview Question – What is a time that you were expected to provide excellent customer service in a negative situation?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Borders.

Interview Details Short 5 minute interview...got the job

Interview Question – They were all fairly easy, I think I had the job before I walked in   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Children's Department Lead Interview

Grand Junction, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Borders.

Interview Details The interview was easy. I talked to the manager one on one briefly. It was pretty laid back and didn't ask anything strange or difficult. I told her how much I loved books and working with kids. I had some library experience, worked as a preschool teacher, and had a degree in early childhood education- which helped me.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. She said it was all they could offer.

Book Seller Interview

Book Seller
Boston, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Borders in March 2010.

Interview Details This was a job fair for a new store, so we went in, and the General Manager was sitting at a desk where he was interviewing all day.

Interview Question – What things do you not want to do in your job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase.

Sales Manager Interview

Interviewed at Borders

Interview Details I was promoted within from cafe manager but was required to interview with the District Manager. Even though it was internal, I still dressed in "business casual". Questions were basic retail management questions and many "tell me about a time you..." Most of the questions she asked were on the company's internal site, so I was able to prepare beforehand.

Interview Question – What negative things do you think people say about you behind your back?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Borders

Worked for Borders? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Borders interview questions and advice. All 61 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Borders employees and interview candidates.