Borders Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 5, 2014
64 interviews

2.3

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Avondale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avondale, AZ (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Borders.

This was back in 2008 when applications were still in paper format with some being online, hence I filled out the form after inquiring as to any openings, returned same day; within a week was called to see if I was still interested which I was; two days later an in-person interview on one of their cafe tables surrounded by customers and employees, the questions of why would I want to work for Borders, what are my interests, where do I see myself half a decade hence, how long would I be willing to work for them-short/long term and if I was interested in moving up the corporate ladder. The lady conducting the interview was smiling, relaxed and very friendly-she was happy that I had questions of my own for her.

Interview Questions
    • Due to being six years ago, I cannot answer this question.   Answer Question

Cafe Clerk Interview

This company is out of business now so I hardly think this info is relevant to anyone anymore. But the process was pretty average with a test of knowledge about music and books, even though the position I interviewed for was the café.

President Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Borders.

the hiring process was a bit awkward. Lots of people who did not know anything aksing questions like they actually knew what they were doing. It is apparent that this company wa going down because they didn't promote based on what you could do but rather on weather or not they liked you. They cause a lot of people to hold positions that they were not qualified for. A lot of people had a lot of power without and of the skills or qualifications. They alos treated the people at store level like dirt. That is where their money was coming from to pay their salaries.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was if I would like to relocate. I didn't like the area but accepted anyway. its hard to find people who will move to this part of the country.   Answer Question

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  East Brunswick, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Brunswick, NJ (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Borders.

Had a one round interview, first with the hiring manager/asst. manager, who then lead me to meet the store manager. Once approved by the store manager, I met the heads of the three different departments (music/cafe, cash/wrap, books). They decided where I would fit best but explained that I would end up working all over the store regardless.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me how to handle customers in difficult situations i.e. during a mis-handled purchase, a botched return, angry customer that felt mistreated by employee, etc.   Answer Question
    I felt that the offer was generous for the work needed but I felt that I would not be able to negotiate.

Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Canoga Park, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canoga Park, CA (US)

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Borders in July 2009.

They ask about sales experience and literature knowledge.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Highland Park, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland Park, IL (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Borders.

Hiring was relaxed, interview was detailed including my ability to relate to customers in a friendly way. I was Johnny-on-the-Spot so had to change gears and do it quickly.

I accepted.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Rockville, MD (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD (US)

interviewed at Borders in June 2009.

Easy interview and relatively quick process as HR contacted 2 weeks after submitting application in store. Manager of the store was courteous and asked the usual questions in reference to interests in books and media and what my favorite topics and areas of expertise were.

Interview Questions
    • If you had your choice of being a potato, rock or apple, which would you be?   View Answer

pay was too low

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Southgate, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southgate, MI (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Borders in August 2011.

One interview with manager.

Interview Questions
    • What is a time that you were expected to provide excellent customer service in a negative situation?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Borders.

Short 5 minute interview...got the job

Interview Questions
    • They were all fairly easy, I think I had the job before I walked in   Answer Question

Children's Department Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Grand Junction, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Junction, CO (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Borders.

The interview was easy. I talked to the manager one on one briefly. It was pretty laid back and didn't ask anything strange or difficult. I told her how much I loved books and working with kids. I had some library experience, worked as a preschool teacher, and had a degree in early childhood education- which helped me.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. She said it was all they could offer.

Worked for Borders? Contribute to the Community!