Boston Consulting Group

Getting the Interview

99 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2011.

Interview Details 3 rounds.

Interview Question – Case study related questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2013.

Interview Details Arrived. All interviewers friendly. Case about a pharmaceutical company with new drug. Involved maths, graph interpretation. Found that the task was very much about making a structure but then interviewer guiding through the rest of the interview. Interesting experience. Approachable interviewer.

Be careful to watch out for simple but tricky maths

Interview Question – When have you had to take a risk?   Answer Question

London, England

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

Interview Details First Round Assessment Day
- Case Interview
- Non-calculator maths tests (similar to GMAT)
- Written case (similar to McKinsey PST)

Second Round Job Interview
- Two Case Interviews

Interview Question – What would be your ideal engagement brief?   Answer Question

London, England

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2011.

Interview Details On campus interview (MBA), with two rounds back to back. The interviews were both case studies, giving an initial brief of the problem verbally, laying out the situation with limited information, where you are expected to come up with relevant questions to prompt them to provide additional data in printed form.

Typically, the cases were single issue problems (cost saving, expansion) and where you are judged on how you structure the problem. This directly affects the questions you ask and the information you get (eg. competitor's costs). A part of solving the case would require you to make some calculations (eg. contribution margins for different products) which are fairly straightforward.

Good overall experience, with the interviewers maintaining a friendly and open approach.

Interview Question – Why consulting and Why BCG?   View Answer

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details 2, 45 minute interviews with principles in the IT and Public Sector practices. Was grilled quite intensely on my decision to shift from strategic planning consultancy to commercial consulting. First case involed a P&L for a mortgage company, with basic quants, and a discussion on potential future sale and ownership structures. Second case format was Mckinsey style from ex-Mckinsey consultant and was very qualitative.

Interview Questions

• Examine fall in profitability   View Answer
  • What factors should the Mayor of London consider in supporting financial services in London?   View Answer

London, England

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details Had an interview for a posting in one of their overseas offices at their local office in London done by teleconference. Session consisted of 2 Interviews with one case study each with time for questions before and after. Interview conducted very professionally but was my first ever case study interview so didn't realize it was quite as formulaic as it was. Would strongly recommend anyone interviewing with them to first practice one on one with a friend or colleague as being turned down excludes you from re-applying for a period of time.

Interview Question – Graph reading and data handling question, within the context of a case study   View Answer

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2010.

Interview Details The recruitment process starts with a short math skills test. You have to answer correctly as many questions as possible in the alloted time. If you do well you get invited to the first round of interviews.

In the first round I was interviewed by a Consultant and a Project Leader. The first interview was more open-ended and consisted mainly in checking whether you had some understanting of basic bussiness concepts and why were you interested in the company (prepare this answer. Not just consulting, but BCG). The second one was about determining the market size for a specific economic activity (real estate developers, in my case).

The second round of interviews was with two principals and a partner. The first interview was about suggesting improvements to a company (a sandbox type of question, in my experience, I would guess the idea is to understand how you think), the second one was a brain teaser (think "How many tennis balls could you fit in a Boeing 787) while the third interview, with the partner, was about the strategy a retailer should follow to increase its sales.

Interview Question – Most questions are easy, but make sure to check the information available before you start making calculations. And, very important, don't get nervous or you'll end up missing a lot of critical information.   Answer Question

Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2012.

Interview Details I applied online and was contacted by email 2 weeks later. I was told that they only have one interview date every month, and was then scheduled for two back-to-back case interviews at their office 2 months later. On the interview day, I was given some information on my interviewers before being led to the interview room. Unfortunately I did not make it pass this round, but was told that there would be 2 more rounds of interviews before the whole process is concluded.

Interview Question – A few motivation and behavioral questions, followed by business cases   Answer Question

Tokyo (Japan)

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details I had an initial phone interview, was then invited to a face-to-face interview in the office. The 1st interview went pretty good. The interviewer was friendly and I was able to solve the case with little help. The 2nd interview was scheduled the following week. I had a terrible experience with this one. First, the interviewer was late for 10 min (not sure if he did it on purpose). Then when he finally arrived, he just gave me a stack of paper, asked me to solve the case, and said he would be back in 25 min to see what I have to say. So for the next half an hour, I was just sitting there, working on my paper test. The worst thing was that the whole thing was in Japanese, and I didn't get to ask any clarifying questions!!! When the interviewer came back to the room, he asked me to present my findings in Japanese (totally didn't expect that since the first two interviews were in English). After the case, we had a short talk and he asked me all the typical interview questions.

Interview Question – Solving the case in Japanese   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details applied through my school, had 2 rounds of interviews (3 interviews in each round)

Interview Question – tell me about a risk you took and if it paid off   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Consulting Group Associate interview questions and advice. All 99 interview reviews posted anonymously by Boston Consulting Group employees and interview candidates.