Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014

3.9

104 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Applied in the summer recruitment campaign, where there are fewer job roles on offer, and I assume fewer interview spots are given. CV and cover letter sent online, received an email inviting to interview within a couple of weeks. All interviews took place at the London office (which is really nice!).

First round:
- Numerical test, very similar to GMAT numerical questions. The questions aren't that difficult, but the time pressure makes this quite tough.
- Case study on laptop, multiple choice questions based on a fictional case. Most of these are about drawing info from graphs and tables, and doing longer calculations than in the numerical test. Tough to prepare, just go and give it a shot.
- 1 x interview with Project Leader. Standard format, 15 minutes personal experience questions talking about motivation and past experience. 20 minutes case interview. 5-10 minutes questions for the interviewer. If you've prepared well enough for case style interviewing, then the case won't surprise. I found that I was given a lot of detail, seeing the root of the problem was quite difficult, and there were many factors to think about. The cases were usually based on a real project that the interviewer had worked on previously, so they know the case inside out! In the first round, I was given a falling profits/market share case.
NOTE: I was told that getting through to the second round is based on your performance in the case interview and CV/cover letter. The test results are used to discriminate between Maybe candidates.

Second round:
- 2 x Project leader/Principal interviews. Exactly the same format as in the first round.

Final round:
- 3 x Partner interviews. Same format again, although one of my interviews was almost completely calculations based, I found this really tough. Partners definitely expect you to lead the case more, they don't seem to give much guidance along the way - they want you to own the business problem like a real consultant would.

Notes:
I was told that the hiring decision is not based purely on your final round performance. Partners do consider the feedback from interviewers in the previous rounds. I've interviewed at a few top consulting firms, and BCG interviewers stood out for how friendly and welcoming they were. When you're answering the personal experience questions, you get a real sense that the interviewer is genuinely interested in getting to know you properly. The recruiting staff are incredibly welcoming and helpful, they really calmed my nerves in the waiting room, and were quick to respond with a decision. Partners give their decision on the same day.

Top tip:
When you're planning your kick off or doing calculations, get it all down on paper, it really helps you communicate your line of thinking. Make some recommendations at the end of your case before you're asked to. Really try to own the case and lead it, treat the interviewer as a real client, don't expect them to guide you along.

Interview Questions
  • Your manager has told you that you'll be starting a project in industry X next week, but he doesn't know any more details. How would you start researching the industry, what things would you look at?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

interview conducted at BCG offices. Everybody from the reception to interviewees were nice and welcoming, and wanted me to feel part of the team. Case question was challenging and I was not able to stay structured in my reasoning. interviewer did not assist and stayed neutral.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2011.

3 rounds.

No negotiation possible

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2013.

Arrived. All interviewers friendly. Case about a pharmaceutical company with new drug. Involved maths, graph interpretation. Found that the task was very much about making a structure but then interviewer guiding through the rest of the interview. Interesting experience. Approachable interviewer.

Be careful to watch out for simple but tricky maths

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

First Round Assessment Day
    - Case Interview
    - Non-calculator maths tests (similar to GMAT)
    - Written case (similar to McKinsey PST)

Second Round Job Interview
    - Two Case Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2011.

On campus interview (MBA), with two rounds back to back. The interviews were both case studies, giving an initial brief of the problem verbally, laying out the situation with limited information, where you are expected to come up with relevant questions to prompt them to provide additional data in printed form.

Typically, the cases were single issue problems (cost saving, expansion) and where you are judged on how you structure the problem. This directly affects the questions you ask and the information you get (eg. competitor's costs). A part of solving the case would require you to make some calculations (eg. contribution margins for different products) which are fairly straightforward.

Good overall experience, with the interviewers maintaining a friendly and open approach.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

2, 45 minute interviews with principles in the IT and Public Sector practices. Was grilled quite intensely on my decision to shift from strategic planning consultancy to commercial consulting. First case involed a P&L for a mortgage company, with basic quants, and a discussion on potential future sale and ownership structures. Second case format was Mckinsey style from ex-Mckinsey consultant and was very qualitative.

Interview Questions
    • Examine fall in profitability   View Answer
    • What factors should the Mayor of London consider in supporting financial services in London?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Had an interview for a posting in one of their overseas offices at their local office in London done by teleconference. Session consisted of 2 Interviews with one case study each with time for questions before and after. Interview conducted very professionally but was my first ever case study interview so didn't realize it was quite as formulaic as it was. Would strongly recommend anyone interviewing with them to first practice one on one with a friend or colleague as being turned down excludes you from re-applying for a period of time.

Interview Questions
    • Graph reading and data handling question, within the context of a case study   View Answer

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2014.

Really rigorous interview process, started with the classic case interview with one of the firms senior members which lasted 40 minutes. Business problem was challenging, however, interviewer was friendly and appreciated that I did not become flustered throughout the process. Followed by an online aptitude/business knoweledge test, this was very tough and one has to really make sure that they don't make any mistakes

Interview Questions
    • When giving recommendations, needed to show better business judgement. Asked some of the ramifications of one of the recommendations and my response was superficial   Answer Question

Associate Interview

first round, and then second round.. not much people get invited to the second round. They do reimburse all travel expenses, very nice. One person was nice the other was not: almost stress interview-- never smiled throughout the whole process!

Interview Questions
    • for foreign offices, you are required to do some translation test   Answer Question

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!