Boston Consulting Group

Updated 21 Feb 2015
Updated 21 Feb 2015

3.9

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I was first asked a few questions on my profile (educational background and previous professional experience). We spent about 10 min discussing my undergraduate dissertation project (mostly questions around the methodology), during which the interviewer challenged me with his own opinions on what can and should be investigated (and, more disappointingly, where scientific truth lies).

Interview Questions
  • 'I am an investor wanting to build a high speed rail project between Washington DC and New York. Should I make an investment or not?'   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

CV and cover letter screening
    First round interview: case with a partner/principal + written numerical test
    Second round interview: 2 cases with partner/principal
    Final round interview: 2 cases with partners (not necessarily cases per se, partners at this point do whatever they want during the interview to get to know you and see how you think)

Interview Questions
    • Quite a lot of data analysis (the interviewers will give you numbers, charts, etc and you will have to digest the info fast).   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2014.

1st Round:
    - 2*50min Interviews. Both 15min Competency, 30min Case and 5min for questions
    - 1* Online Case

2nd Round in Munich:
    - 3*50min Interviews:
       - 2* 15min Competency, 30min Case and 5min for questions
       - 1* 30min Competency 15min Case and 5min for questions
    - BCG Real Life:
       - 3*12min exercises that mimic the consultant job (eg. design a presentation, small talk with a client, give a presentation, etc.)

The cases were math heavy and involved finding new business models.

Interview Questions
    • Your client is a solar panel manufacturer. His competition in China is producing the same product with a similar quality at a much cheaper price. What should he do?   View Answer

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2014.

First round (Maths test and 1 interview with project leader), 2nd round (1 project leader and 1 principal) and final round (1 partner and 1 senior partner). The format of all the interviews are very similar. The first two rounds mainly tests your ability to solve cases, whereas I felt that the 3rd round was more about fit. I was told that I needed prompting for one of the final round cases, which apparently cost me the job offer, but I felt that it was probably more of a fit issue. The interview process was fair, and HR did an excellent job in organising the interviews. Everyone I met was incredibly friendly, and they really want you to do your best.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say is 'success' in your life when you're 50?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

Submitted CV and cover letter online, was invited to interviews in London. First round interview = profit and loss case and a maths paper. Then invited to second round - two interviews, one was on analysing a financial services data provider, one was about the energy sector. Didn't get through that round but did make some maths mistakes.

Interview Questions
    • What are the skills a consultant needs and how have you demonstrated them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Applied in the summer recruitment campaign, where there are fewer job roles on offer, and I assume fewer interview spots are given. CV and cover letter sent online, received an email inviting to interview within a couple of weeks. All interviews took place at the London office (which is really nice!).

First round:
    - Numerical test, very similar to GMAT numerical questions. The questions aren't that difficult, but the time pressure makes this quite tough.
    - Case study on laptop, multiple choice questions based on a fictional case. Most of these are about drawing info from graphs and tables, and doing longer calculations than in the numerical test. Tough to prepare, just go and give it a shot.
    - 1 x interview with Project Leader. Standard format, 15 minutes personal experience questions talking about motivation and past experience. 20 minutes case interview. 5-10 minutes questions for the interviewer. If you've prepared well enough for case style interviewing, then the case won't surprise. I found that I was given a lot of detail, seeing the root of the problem was quite difficult, and there were many factors to think about. The cases were usually based on a real project that the interviewer had worked on previously, so they know the case inside out! In the first round, I was given a falling profits/market share case.
    NOTE: I was told that getting through to the second round is based on your performance in the case interview and CV/cover letter. The test results are used to discriminate between Maybe candidates.

Second round:
    - 2 x Project leader/Principal interviews. Exactly the same format as in the first round.

Final round:
    - 3 x Partner interviews. Same format again, although one of my interviews was almost completely calculations based, I found this really tough. Partners definitely expect you to lead the case more, they don't seem to give much guidance along the way - they want you to own the business problem like a real consultant would.

Notes:
    I was told that the hiring decision is not based purely on your final round performance. Partners do consider the feedback from interviewers in the previous rounds. I've interviewed at a few top consulting firms, and BCG interviewers stood out for how friendly and welcoming they were. When you're answering the personal experience questions, you get a real sense that the interviewer is genuinely interested in getting to know you properly. The recruiting staff are incredibly welcoming and helpful, they really calmed my nerves in the waiting room, and were quick to respond with a decision. Partners give their decision on the same day.

Top tip:
    When you're planning your kick off or doing calculations, get it all down on paper, it really helps you communicate your line of thinking. Make some recommendations at the end of your case before you're asked to. Really try to own the case and lead it, treat the interviewer as a real client, don't expect them to guide you along.

Interview Questions
    • Your manager has told you that you'll be starting a project in industry X next week, but he doesn't know any more details. How would you start researching the industry, what things would you look at?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

interview conducted at BCG offices. Everybody from the reception to interviewees were nice and welcoming, and wanted me to feel part of the team. Case question was challenging and I was not able to stay structured in my reasoning. interviewer did not assist and stayed neutral.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2013.

Arrived. All interviewers friendly. Case about a pharmaceutical company with new drug. Involved maths, graph interpretation. Found that the task was very much about making a structure but then interviewer guiding through the rest of the interview. Interesting experience. Approachable interviewer.

Be careful to watch out for simple but tricky maths

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

First Round Assessment Day
    - Case Interview
    - Non-calculator maths tests (similar to GMAT)
    - Written case (similar to McKinsey PST)

Second Round Job Interview
    - Two Case Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2011.

3 rounds.