Boston Consulting Group

Average Difficulty
102 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2011.

Interview Details 3 rounds.

Interview Question – Case study related questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2013.

Interview Details Arrived. All interviewers friendly. Case about a pharmaceutical company with new drug. Involved maths, graph interpretation. Found that the task was very much about making a structure but then interviewer guiding through the rest of the interview. Interesting experience. Approachable interviewer.

Be careful to watch out for simple but tricky maths

Interview Question – When have you had to take a risk?   Answer Question

London, England

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

Interview Details First Round Assessment Day
- Case Interview
- Non-calculator maths tests (similar to GMAT)
- Written case (similar to McKinsey PST)

Second Round Job Interview
- Two Case Interviews

Interview Question – What would be your ideal engagement brief?   Answer Question

London, England

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2011.

Interview Details On campus interview (MBA), with two rounds back to back. The interviews were both case studies, giving an initial brief of the problem verbally, laying out the situation with limited information, where you are expected to come up with relevant questions to prompt them to provide additional data in printed form.

Typically, the cases were single issue problems (cost saving, expansion) and where you are judged on how you structure the problem. This directly affects the questions you ask and the information you get (eg. competitor's costs). A part of solving the case would require you to make some calculations (eg. contribution margins for different products) which are fairly straightforward.

Good overall experience, with the interviewers maintaining a friendly and open approach.

Interview Question – Why consulting and Why BCG?   View Answer

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview Details 2, 45 minute interviews with principles in the IT and Public Sector practices. Was grilled quite intensely on my decision to shift from strategic planning consultancy to commercial consulting. First case involed a P&L for a mortgage company, with basic quants, and a discussion on potential future sale and ownership structures. Second case format was Mckinsey style from ex-Mckinsey consultant and was very qualitative.

Interview Questions

• Examine fall in profitability   View Answer
  • What factors should the Mayor of London consider in supporting financial services in London?   View Answer

London, England

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2009.

Interview Details Had an interview for a posting in one of their overseas offices at their local office in London done by teleconference. Session consisted of 2 Interviews with one case study each with time for questions before and after. Interview conducted very professionally but was my first ever case study interview so didn't realize it was quite as formulaic as it was. Would strongly recommend anyone interviewing with them to first practice one on one with a friend or colleague as being turned down excludes you from re-applying for a period of time.

Interview Question – Graph reading and data handling question, within the context of a case study   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Associate

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in July 2014.

Interview Details Really rigorous interview process, started with the classic case interview with one of the firms senior members which lasted 40 minutes. Business problem was challenging, however, interviewer was friendly and appreciated that I did not become flustered throughout the process. Followed by an online aptitude/business knoweledge test, this was very tough and one has to really make sure that they don't make any mistakes

Interview Question – When giving recommendations, needed to show better business judgement. Asked some of the ramifications of one of the recommendations and my response was superficial   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details first round, and then second round.. not much people get invited to the second round. They do reimburse all travel expenses, very nice. One person was nice the other was not: almost stress interview-- never smiled throughout the whole process!

Interview Question – for foreign offices, you are required to do some translation test   Answer Question

Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2014.

Interview Details The hiring proces was as i had expected, although the interviewers were more friendly then I had anticipated. Overall I experienced the hiring and interview process as very pleasant. Focus was, next to the cases, on personal development. How did you develop over the past years, how would you like to develop yourself in the years to come, etc..

Interview Question – Compared to about three years ago, what are three major changes that you, as a person, have been through, and how do you look back on these changes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible. Only about the start date.

Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2010.

Interview Details The recruitment process starts with a short math skills test. You have to answer correctly as many questions as possible in the alloted time. If you do well you get invited to the first round of interviews.

In the first round I was interviewed by a Consultant and a Project Leader. The first interview was more open-ended and consisted mainly in checking whether you had some understanting of basic bussiness concepts and why were you interested in the company (prepare this answer. Not just consulting, but BCG). The second one was about determining the market size for a specific economic activity (real estate developers, in my case).

The second round of interviews was with two principals and a partner. The first interview was about suggesting improvements to a company (a sandbox type of question, in my experience, I would guess the idea is to understand how you think), the second one was a brain teaser (think "How many tennis balls could you fit in a Boeing 787) while the third interview, with the partner, was about the strategy a retailer should follow to increase its sales.

Interview Question – Most questions are easy, but make sure to check the information available before you start making calculations. And, very important, don't get nervous or you'll end up missing a lot of critical information.   Answer Question

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!