Boston Consulting Group

Updated 16 Jan 2015

3.8

145 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

You must apply early, or else they will reject your application outright. After submitting the application, they will ask you a first round interview involving a case study and questions on your CV. The second round consists of two case studies with your potential colleagues, and the final round is 3 case studies with firm partners.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

First round interview consists of two interviews with principals or project managers. Each interview will involve about 10 minutes of 'fit' questions (tell me about a time when....) followed by a 30 minute case study and then a few minutes for you to ask questions. The second round interview is the same but consisted of three interviews with partners.

Interview Questions
    • When have you identified an underperforming team member and what did you do to improve their performance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2014.

Applied to the London office. They came to our business school, had a number of information sessions and then screened CVs for the first round. Passed the first round of two interviews and then had three interviews with partners for the second round about ten days later.

In between doing the second (and final) round and getting dinged I got two congratulations e-mails from BCG, one from a 'buddy' who was assigned to me to convince me to join and one from the lead recruiter at our school. Naturally it was very confusing when I got the ding phone call.

They promised to call me later with feedback on my interviews, but never did.

Interview Questions
    • How would you advise the mayor of London to improve the competitiveness of the financial sector?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2012.

Campus recruiting information session. Invited to interview within a month of application submission. Current consultants reached out to provide mock interview prep prior to the actual interview and were very friendly and welcoming. Actual interview was pleasant and just as friendly as prep call was. It was difficult to gauge performance due to the general positivity of the interviewer. Feedback session afterwards was provided, but very generic.

Interview Questions
    • An operations case was provided which was difficult as it wasn't a standard type of case that is available in the prep books that I had used. However, using logic to deduce bottlenecks and capacity issues is doable.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2012.

First round - two 1.1 interviews with cases and CV questions Very nice people, reasonable cases. My feedback, lack of structure in one case hence didn't make it through. One case was more interviewer led than the other.
    One was a growth case of Consumer goods.
    Other case was reduced profits in aluminium manufacturer.

Interview Questions
    • I was changing careers so wanted good reason for career change.
      Also have good fit stories ready - sometimes people forget to prepare this part properly.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2011.

2 rounds of in-person interviews with Partners and Principles of the firm. All were a combination of personal/fit interviews plus case interviews. Weeks or months of preparation are needed to do well in these interviews, it's very easy to make mistakes which could cost you the offer. The interviewers were supportive and open to working with you to answer the questions posed.

HR was good about responding with feedback within 24 hours.

Culture was much more supportive than competitive firms even though interviews were with more senior staff.

Interview Questions
    • Given a particular competitive environment how would you advise our client to price their product?   Answer Question
    NA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2011.

Very well organized procedure. Interview consisted of two interviews (5-15 min) followed by the case studies.

Case studies were both related to the Pharma industry

Interview Questions
    • Our client has developed a drug for preventing strokes. Should they sell the drug, or not?   Answer Question
    • Our client is a big pharma company that traditionally advertises on paper to doctors in their practices. Should we move to ipad delivery or likewise electronic delivery of this advertising?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

Applied online. Received a phone call to confirm my availability two months later and scheduled another phone call a few weeks after that. The next phone call was to fix a suitable data for a face-to-face interview. The 1:1 interview took place in the London office and I went through two case studies with two interviewers respectively.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2010.

2 x Case Interview Rounds:

1st Round: 2 x Project Leads
    2nd Round: 1 Principal, 2 Partners

People were extremely sharp, found the interviews interesting and challenging. Made me want the job even more.

Of the 5 people I met I'd say 2 were absolutely exceptional, 2 were very strong and the final person was by the book and was a very difficult person to interview with.

All of the interviews were 45 mins duration with 15 minutes general chat, 20-25 mins case study and 5 minutes of questions from you at the end.

To get in I think you have to nail all of teh cases and while my feedback was that I was strong quantitatively ad solved some of the cases faster than any previous candidate I completely screwed up one and I think that was it for me.

It's tough but it's a great job if you get through I'd say.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

I applied through an employee referral and was invited to interview within approximately 1 month of the initial referral. I had 3 rounds of interviews all in one day, with a decision at the end of each round on whether interviewees had done well enough to move to the next stage. It was a long and gruelling day and required a lot of stamina, although there were breaks during which I was able to go to go outside, get some fresh air and recharge.

Before the interviews started we had a one hour session with a number of current consultants introducing the firm, getting to know each other and giving candidates the opportunity to ask questions for about half an hour - it was a nice way to start the day and meant I felt fairly relaxed by the time I went into my first interview.

The first round involved 2 regular case interviews and then an 'online case' i.e. numeracy & chart reading test done on a computer. The second round consisted of 2 cases with principals and the final round was just one case interview with a senior partner. Each interview lasted 45-60mins.

Each interview followed the classic format, i.e. 10-15m discussion about fit, motivation, prior experiences and leadership credentials, followed by up to 45m discussing a business case.

The fit discussions were in line with my expectations, and no major curveballs although I was asked to discuss a time I had failed and what I learnt from it. I found this section of the interview very informal and enjoyed getting to know my interviewers during the discussion. The case interviews were less fomulaic than at the other top tier firm I received an offer from and quite intellectually stimiulating. I found the key was putting down a very clear structure at the beginning and using it as a reference throughout the interview to engage the interviewer in my thinking.

Most of the cases involved calculations, one involved some quite lengthy and laborious market size calculations for different market segements. What helped here was actually writing out my equation and variables and then running each calculation whilst filling in a table to keep things organized. My 3rd round did not require any calculations at all and felt more like a series of mini-cases about specific business topics, than a classic business case.

Other than that the support team did a great job throughout the process (I had to fly to a neighboring country for my interview), they put us up in a lovely hotel and informed me of the outcome pretty early on the next working day after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I had one deeply theoretical case about the automotive industry in which the solution required me to develop an equation from first principles to describe the economics of the product line the 'client' was operating in.   Answer Question
    Limited room to negotiate as packages and benefits are standardized. I had another offer from BCG's main competitor and their benefits package was superior (though their base pay was lower). Despite this, BCG did not change their offer significantly in the course of negotiations. However I went with BCG as it felt like the better fit for me and I was impressed with them throughout the process