Boston Consulting Group

Getting the Interview

115 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2012.

Interview Details Campus recruiting information session. Invited to interview within a month of application submission. Current consultants reached out to provide mock interview prep prior to the actual interview and were very friendly and welcoming. Actual interview was pleasant and just as friendly as prep call was. It was difficult to gauge performance due to the general positivity of the interviewer. Feedback session afterwards was provided, but very generic.

Interview Question – An operations case was provided which was difficult as it wasn't a standard type of case that is available in the prep books that I had used. However, using logic to deduce bottlenecks and capacity issues is doable.   Answer Question

London, England

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2012.

Interview Details First round - two 1.1 interviews with cases and CV questions Very nice people, reasonable cases. My feedback, lack of structure in one case hence didn't make it through. One case was more interviewer led than the other.
One was a growth case of Consumer goods.
Other case was reduced profits in aluminium manufacturer.

Interview Question – I was changing careers so wanted good reason for career change.
Also have good fit stories ready - sometimes people forget to prepare this part properly.
  Answer Question

London, England

The process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

Interview Details Applied online. Received a phone call to confirm my availability two months later and scheduled another phone call a few weeks after that. The next phone call was to fix a suitable data for a face-to-face interview. The 1:1 interview took place in the London office and I went through two case studies with two interviewers respectively.

Interview Questions

London, England

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2011.

Interview Details 2 rounds of in-person interviews with Partners and Principles of the firm. All were a combination of personal/fit interviews plus case interviews. Weeks or months of preparation are needed to do well in these interviews, it's very easy to make mistakes which could cost you the offer. The interviewers were supportive and open to working with you to answer the questions posed.

HR was good about responding with feedback within 24 hours.

Culture was much more supportive than competitive firms even though interviews were with more senior staff.

Interview Question – Given a particular competitive environment how would you advise our client to price their product?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

London, England

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2011.

Interview Details Very well organized procedure. Interview consisted of two interviews (5-15 min) followed by the case studies.

Case studies were both related to the Pharma industry

Interview Questions

• Our client has developed a drug for preventing strokes. Should they sell the drug, or not?   Answer Question
  • Our client is a big pharma company that traditionally advertises on paper to doctors in their practices. Should we move to ipad delivery or likewise electronic delivery of this advertising?   Answer Question

London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2010.

Interview Details 2 x Case Interview Rounds:

1st Round: 2 x Project Leads
2nd Round: 1 Principal, 2 Partners

People were extremely sharp, found the interviews interesting and challenging. Made me want the job even more.

Of the 5 people I met I'd say 2 were absolutely exceptional, 2 were very strong and the final person was by the book and was a very difficult person to interview with.

All of the interviews were 45 mins duration with 15 minutes general chat, 20-25 mins case study and 5 minutes of questions from you at the end.

To get in I think you have to nail all of teh cases and while my feedback was that I was strong quantitatively ad solved some of the cases faster than any previous candidate I completely screwed up one and I think that was it for me.

It's tough but it's a great job if you get through I'd say.

Interview Question – What are you passionate about?   View Answer

Miami, FL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details BCG came on campus. Resume got selected through the pool. Interview scheduled within two weeks of application.

Two rounds. First one was on campus. Two 30 minutes interview with 5-7 minutes of behavioral then a case study. Both interviews lasted more than 45 minutes.

Second round at the office. Three 30 minutes talk scheduled. This time emphasis more on fit but still a case study involved. Met with few other members at the office as well.

Impression: Super cool bunch of people. Very impressed. I like them better than McKinsey or Bain. Top notch firm...! Take an offer if you get it.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary or trick question. Case study was straight forward. They try to help you along like you're working on an assignment together. Show them your work while discussing it. DO NOT mess up the simple math and do it on the fly. If you're making math related mistakes, you won't get a second round. Simple as that.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I'm more interested in I-Banking than Consulting.

Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2012.

Interview Details There were 3 rounds of interviews - each of the first 2 rounds were case interviews, an he final round was one case interview and one 'fit' interview. I got into the interview process, when BCG did a presentation at my campus, and I talked to the recruiter that was there, afterward. She put me into the process, and then emailed me to schedule the interviews. The first 2 rounds were in the local BCG office, and the last round was a video-conference with the office I had applied to.

Interview Question – Due to the employment agreement, I can't divulge any specific question. But I can say that I used the prep questions on BCG's website (as well as on Bain's and McK's) to practice case interviews. And I looked at other websites that have case interviews for practice purposes. These really helped with prep. Also I read the Economist regularly, so it was easy to make small talk, or have context for international-type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate my offer, b/c I knew it was standard for the role for someone coming out of school (like myself). I think if you have additional work experience you can negotiate for more.

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2013.

Interview Details Submit my resume through campus recruiting in September. Got selected for interviews. The first round was on campus, two case interviews. Each interview took about 30 minutes. Second round was on-site in October. There were 3 case interviews. Case interviews were similar to those in the first round.

Interview Question – There was a very hard case in the second round.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details Initially picked up via a 3rd party recruitment firm. Submitted CV and covering letter for specific BCG team (IVI Taskforce). Attended first round interview at which I met two BCG employees, one specifically from IVI team and one more senior general strategist. Both interviews had all the standard cultural fit and CV exploration. Both had a case study element, one relating to to a Swiss bank looking to reduce costs.

Interview Question – Maths elements of both case studies were quite complex and you were invited to ask questions or clarify. However interviewer sat right next to you which was slightly off-putting.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston Consulting Group

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Consulting Group Consultant interview questions and advice. All 115 interview reviews posted anonymously by Boston Consulting Group employees and interview candidates.