Boston Consulting Group

Updated 4 Dec 2014

3.8

140 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

You must apply early, or else they will reject your application outright. After submitting the application, they will ask you a first round interview involving a case study and questions on your CV. The second round consists of two case studies with your potential colleagues, and the final round is 3 case studies with firm partners.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2014.

Applied to the London office. They came to our business school, had a number of information sessions and then screened CVs for the first round. Passed the first round of two interviews and then had three interviews with partners for the second round about ten days later.

In between doing the second (and final) round and getting dinged I got two congratulations e-mails from BCG, one from a 'buddy' who was assigned to me to convince me to join and one from the lead recruiter at our school. Naturally it was very confusing when I got the ding phone call.

They promised to call me later with feedback on my interviews, but never did.

Interview Questions
    • How would you advise the mayor of London to improve the competitiveness of the financial sector?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2012.

Campus recruiting information session. Invited to interview within a month of application submission. Current consultants reached out to provide mock interview prep prior to the actual interview and were very friendly and welcoming. Actual interview was pleasant and just as friendly as prep call was. It was difficult to gauge performance due to the general positivity of the interviewer. Feedback session afterwards was provided, but very generic.

Interview Questions
    • An operations case was provided which was difficult as it wasn't a standard type of case that is available in the prep books that I had used. However, using logic to deduce bottlenecks and capacity issues is doable.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2012.

First round - two 1.1 interviews with cases and CV questions Very nice people, reasonable cases. My feedback, lack of structure in one case hence didn't make it through. One case was more interviewer led than the other.
    One was a growth case of Consumer goods.
    Other case was reduced profits in aluminium manufacturer.

Interview Questions
    • I was changing careers so wanted good reason for career change.
      Also have good fit stories ready - sometimes people forget to prepare this part properly.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in June 2011.

2 rounds of in-person interviews with Partners and Principles of the firm. All were a combination of personal/fit interviews plus case interviews. Weeks or months of preparation are needed to do well in these interviews, it's very easy to make mistakes which could cost you the offer. The interviewers were supportive and open to working with you to answer the questions posed.

HR was good about responding with feedback within 24 hours.

Culture was much more supportive than competitive firms even though interviews were with more senior staff.

Interview Questions
    • Given a particular competitive environment how would you advise our client to price their product?   Answer Question
    NA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2011.

Very well organized procedure. Interview consisted of two interviews (5-15 min) followed by the case studies.

Case studies were both related to the Pharma industry

Interview Questions
    • Our client has developed a drug for preventing strokes. Should they sell the drug, or not?   Answer Question
    • Our client is a big pharma company that traditionally advertises on paper to doctors in their practices. Should we move to ipad delivery or likewise electronic delivery of this advertising?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took a dayinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

Applied online. Received a phone call to confirm my availability two months later and scheduled another phone call a few weeks after that. The next phone call was to fix a suitable data for a face-to-face interview. The 1:1 interview took place in the London office and I went through two case studies with two interviewers respectively.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2010.

2 x Case Interview Rounds:

1st Round: 2 x Project Leads
    2nd Round: 1 Principal, 2 Partners

People were extremely sharp, found the interviews interesting and challenging. Made me want the job even more.

Of the 5 people I met I'd say 2 were absolutely exceptional, 2 were very strong and the final person was by the book and was a very difficult person to interview with.

All of the interviews were 45 mins duration with 15 minutes general chat, 20-25 mins case study and 5 minutes of questions from you at the end.

To get in I think you have to nail all of teh cases and while my feedback was that I was strong quantitatively ad solved some of the cases faster than any previous candidate I completely screwed up one and I think that was it for me.

It's tough but it's a great job if you get through I'd say.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

I had quite an enjoyable experience of interviewing for a consultant role. Unfortunately, I didn't make it but would have got in as an MBA hire. Initially, I was sure I didn't want to apply to BCG during their campus recruiting cycle since I felt that I wouldn't be well-prepared. During a recruiting event, I talked to the head of recruiting for one of the offices I would be applying to and he encouraged me to apply. I was called for an interview and had just over a week to prepare for the case interview. I focused on working on cases in that time and, unfortunately, neglected preparing for the online quantitative test which turned out to be my undoing. Overall, it was a great experience -- the interviewers, in particular, were gracious.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you received difficult feedback.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Final round: Two interviews with two principals. One focusing on personal experience and a short case, one with a "written case" and more in-depth personal experience questions. For the written case, one is supposed to spend 45 min reading the materials (a slide deck and a memo in my case) and then present to the interviewer their thinking process and findings.

Interview Questions
    • What are you passionate about? What wakes you up in the morning?   Answer Question