Boston Consulting Group

Updated 15 Dec 2014
Updated 15 Dec 2014

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

CV and cover letter screening
    First round interview: case with a partner/principal + written numerical test
    Second round interview: 2 cases with partner/principal
    Final round interview: 2 cases with partners (not necessarily cases per se, partners at this point do whatever they want during the interview to get to know you and see how you think)

Interview Questions
    • Quite a lot of data analysis (the interviewers will give you numbers, charts, etc and you will have to digest the info fast).   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Applied through online system, email came a couple of weeks after, and it contains interview invitation. Interview consisted of two case interviews by separate interviewers, who are both principals in BCG Singapore. Each interviewer starts by asking some fit questions such as 'why consulting?', 'why BCG?', and 'why you?'. That was followed by a case and an opportunity to ask the interviewers a few questions.

Interview Questions
    • The first case was about a market entry strategy for a researcher that has invented a novel laser technology. The second case was about a strategy to increase productivity in Singapore. The latter one was particularly hard because it was not like typical case interview questions. There was an equation given and you're supposed to compare between Singapore's productivity and New York's.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2014.

Submitted CV and cover letter online, was invited to interviews in London. First round interview = profit and loss case and a maths paper. Then invited to second round - two interviews, one was on analysing a financial services data provider, one was about the energy sector. Didn't get through that round but did make some maths mistakes.

Interview Questions
    • What are the skills a consultant needs and how have you demonstrated them?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Applied for the summer recruitment drive. First round interview over Video conference since I applied for Dubai office. Good at feedback. Not so good at organising interview dates. Try to go for in person interviews if possible unless you are very good at communicating thought process to interviewer over video.

Consultant Interview

You must apply early, or else they will reject your application outright. After submitting the application, they will ask you a first round interview involving a case study and questions on your CV. The second round consists of two case studies with your potential colleagues, and the final round is 3 case studies with firm partners.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Applied in the summer recruitment campaign, where there are fewer job roles on offer, and I assume fewer interview spots are given. CV and cover letter sent online, received an email inviting to interview within a couple of weeks. All interviews took place at the London office (which is really nice!).

First round:
    - Numerical test, very similar to GMAT numerical questions. The questions aren't that difficult, but the time pressure makes this quite tough.
    - Case study on laptop, multiple choice questions based on a fictional case. Most of these are about drawing info from graphs and tables, and doing longer calculations than in the numerical test. Tough to prepare, just go and give it a shot.
    - 1 x interview with Project Leader. Standard format, 15 minutes personal experience questions talking about motivation and past experience. 20 minutes case interview. 5-10 minutes questions for the interviewer. If you've prepared well enough for case style interviewing, then the case won't surprise. I found that I was given a lot of detail, seeing the root of the problem was quite difficult, and there were many factors to think about. The cases were usually based on a real project that the interviewer had worked on previously, so they know the case inside out! In the first round, I was given a falling profits/market share case.
    NOTE: I was told that getting through to the second round is based on your performance in the case interview and CV/cover letter. The test results are used to discriminate between Maybe candidates.

Second round:
    - 2 x Project leader/Principal interviews. Exactly the same format as in the first round.

Final round:
    - 3 x Partner interviews. Same format again, although one of my interviews was almost completely calculations based, I found this really tough. Partners definitely expect you to lead the case more, they don't seem to give much guidance along the way - they want you to own the business problem like a real consultant would.

Notes:
    I was told that the hiring decision is not based purely on your final round performance. Partners do consider the feedback from interviewers in the previous rounds. I've interviewed at a few top consulting firms, and BCG interviewers stood out for how friendly and welcoming they were. When you're answering the personal experience questions, you get a real sense that the interviewer is genuinely interested in getting to know you properly. The recruiting staff are incredibly welcoming and helpful, they really calmed my nerves in the waiting room, and were quick to respond with a decision. Partners give their decision on the same day.

Top tip:
    When you're planning your kick off or doing calculations, get it all down on paper, it really helps you communicate your line of thinking. Make some recommendations at the end of your case before you're asked to. Really try to own the case and lead it, treat the interviewer as a real client, don't expect them to guide you along.

Interview Questions
    • Your manager has told you that you'll be starting a project in industry X next week, but he doesn't know any more details. How would you start researching the industry, what things would you look at?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

interview conducted at BCG offices. Everybody from the reception to interviewees were nice and welcoming, and wanted me to feel part of the team. Case question was challenging and I was not able to stay structured in my reasoning. interviewer did not assist and stayed neutral.

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

First round assessment test (similar to GRE); second round case interviews, third round case interviews + group interview, reference + background check. Everyone very friendly and kind, but serious. Cases were interesting but challenging.

Interview Questions
    • The case interviews can be very tough - I came from a non quant background so I found the rapid-fire mental math to be intimidating at times.   Answer Question
    contract said 'non-negotiable' so i didn't, but heard that other people did successfully do so

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2014.

Applied to the London office. They came to our business school, had a number of information sessions and then screened CVs for the first round. Passed the first round of two interviews and then had three interviews with partners for the second round about ten days later.

In between doing the second (and final) round and getting dinged I got two congratulations e-mails from BCG, one from a 'buddy' who was assigned to me to convince me to join and one from the lead recruiter at our school. Naturally it was very confusing when I got the ding phone call.

They promised to call me later with feedback on my interviews, but never did.

Interview Questions
    • How would you advise the mayor of London to improve the competitiveness of the financial sector?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Online application and a little back and forth with the recruitment manager. First round interview was in person, with two consultants. The interviews were tough and the consultants don't provide too much comfort if you get off to a shaky start. This was followed by a 1 hour 'aptitude test', involving verbal and numerical comprehension and reasoning. It started easy then got quite difficult towards the end, and was very business focussed, in comparison to some of the more generic aptitude tests out there.

Interview Questions
    • A case study about a customer service phone company in Kenya. The question was actually asking to calculate the per unit profit.   View Answer