Boston Consulting Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

Consultant Interview

Consultant
London, England

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2014.

Interview Details Applied to the London office. They came to our business school, had a number of information sessions and then screened CVs for the first round. Passed the first round of two interviews and then had three interviews with partners for the second round about ten days later.

In between doing the second (and final) round and getting dinged I got two congratulations e-mails from BCG, one from a 'buddy' who was assigned to me to convince me to join and one from the lead recruiter at our school. Naturally it was very confusing when I got the ding phone call.

They promised to call me later with feedback on my interviews, but never did.

Interview Question – How would you advise the mayor of London to improve the competitiveness of the financial sector?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Summer Consultant Interview

Summer Consultant
London, England

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2013.

Interview Details 1st Round- 2 back to back case interviews with project managers. Interview lasted 45 minutes. Had a few behavioural questions like why consulting, why bcg. 2nd round: 4 back to back interviews with 4 partners. 3 of them were case interviews, covered a range from market sizing to new market entry and identifying root cause of profitability issue. Last interview was given large amount of data including annual reports and news clippings, and had to make a presentation within 45 minutes to partner highlighting key client issues. Everyone was really friendly, and of the highest intellect and calibre.The final decision was made within one week and received offer on the phone.

Interview Question – 5/6 interviews were business case interviews, one of them was a pure market sizing problem. One of the interviews , interviewer kept on asking what else , what else after i made my recommendation. He also made me make a visual representation of my solution to make it easier for the client to understand.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very good offer. No need for negotiation.

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details Online application and a little back and forth with the recruitment manager. First round interview was in person, with two consultants. The interviews were tough and the consultants don't provide too much comfort if you get off to a shaky start. This was followed by a 1 hour 'aptitude test', involving verbal and numerical comprehension and reasoning. It started easy then got quite difficult towards the end, and was very business focussed, in comparison to some of the more generic aptitude tests out there.

Interview Question – A case study about a customer service phone company in Kenya. The question was actually asking to calculate the per unit profit.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details Submitted CV and cover letter, received a response within a few weeks, had to wait another month or so to interview. Interviewed with two consultants, one business case, one brainteaser-type case, plus a few competency questions from each interviewer, plus the BCG numerical test at the end.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time it was better to do something on your own than in a team.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2011.

Interview Details 3 rounds.

Interview Question – Case study related questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible

Analyst Interview

Analyst

Interviewed at Boston Consulting Group

Interview Details Three stages. Initial problem solving and excel based testing. Second interview is case studies and general interview with managers. Final interview is with hiring partner.

Interview Question – The problem solvers here are very hard and the case studies are not easy either. The interviewer will pressure but guide when needed.   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Junior Consultant
London, England

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2013.

Interview Details 3 rounds, all at their offices in London:

Round 1: 1 case interview with a low-level consultant (for anyone coming out of a PhD, they'll look about the same age), one online test similar to the Mckinsey PST and one arithmetic test.

Round 2: 2 case interviews with project principals with some personal experience tagged on the front.

Round 3: 3 case interviews with partners, again with some personal experience tagged on the front.

I didn't find the process getting more difficult/intimidating as the rounds progressed. But obviously the competition your facing gets tougher. I screwed up a bit in at least one of the final round cases so I cant complain about not being hired - they were friendly but tough but fair.

Interview Question – I got asked by multiple interviewers at multiple stages about a time where I had to successfully handle conflict within a team. In some cases it may have been because I alluded to the fact that there was conflict so there's a hint: they'll grab any chance they get to find out about how you fare under stress, conflict and pressure.

I also got the silent treatment in one of my final round interviews. Almost every question I asked was met with "what you your own assumptions be?" or "How would you go about it?". The guy warmed up a bit by the end though.
  Answer Question

Associate - Consultant Interview

Associate - Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview Details I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in London in November 2013. Enjoyed the process and found the staff friendly, interesting and approachable, including my interviewer.

Day consisted of a fairly simple quantitative maths test, a case study interview and online case study test (graph and data interpretation, verbal and numerical).

Interview Question – Business case - need to improve a retail bank's sales force productivity with a focus on their employee incentive scheme   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2013.

Interview Details Arrived. All interviewers friendly. Case about a pharmaceutical company with new drug. Involved maths, graph interpretation. Found that the task was very much about making a structure but then interviewer guiding through the rest of the interview. Interesting experience. Approachable interviewer.

Be careful to watch out for simple but tricky maths

Interview Question – When have you had to take a risk?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant
London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2012.

Interview Details Online application + tests (online at their office, other people could read your screen) + interviews. Did not get thru the first interview round: both had brainteasers and it seemed I was doing fine but one of the interviewers was downright rude. Would not give you time to even finish your sentences. Never seen that at McKinsey.

Interview Question – What is the annual income of London Metro system - the interviewer refused to specify whether this includes overground, he would argue with my estimates up to decimals (!)
Just a confusing experience. Again, nothing like that with McKinsey
  View Answer

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!