Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated 15 Apr 2015
Updated 15 Apr 2015

3.8

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I was first asked a few questions on my profile (educational background and previous professional experience). We spent about 10 min discussing my undergraduate dissertation project (mostly questions around the methodology), during which the interviewer challenged me with his own opinions on what can and should be investigated (and, more disappointingly, where scientific truth lies).

Interview Questions

• 'I am an investor wanting to build a high speed rail project between Washington DC and New York. Should I make an investment or not?'   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Interviewed for BCG Rome/Milan Office.
    The first round interview consisted of two case studies. Both wanted to make sure I had knowledge of Italian therefore, once they saw I was fluent in English they switched to Italian.

Case studies were of very different nature. One more abstract thinking about R&D in oil industry and another about Private Equity with very numerical testing.

Both were very friendly. They tried to help when I was in difficulty.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

CV and cover letter
    No test
    2 case studies in the first round
    Case 1: Real estate client wanting to increase revenue
    Case 2: Competitive strategy for a Pharma client to a new entrant

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

Received an email that I was invited to a first round interview and had 2 weeks to prepare. Interview consisted of 3 parts. Part 1: case study + personal questions. Part 2: another case study with another interviewer + personal questions. Part 3: Online case/analytical test
    Interviewers were both very friendly and interested. Atmosphere was very relaxed. I had expected a little more support during the case studies.

Interview Questions

• When you join our company you will have to come up with a personal development plan. What will be in you plan?   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

3 interviews in the first round, with 1 principal, 1 senior consultant and 1 consultant. The formats were the same for all, 10 mins or so of competency questions then a case the consultant had done before. Two of the interviewers were very nice, one was relatively pushy (more challenging on the answers and thought processes) and slightly less responsive. The HR lady promised feedback after delivering the outcome, but never did and was not contactable by phone or email. Good experience overall until the HR lady disappeared.

Interview Questions

• One pricing case, one supply chain case and one profit case   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England).

Interview

CV and cover letter screening
    First round interview: case with a partner/principal + written numerical test
    Second round interview: 2 cases with partner/principal
    Final round interview: 2 cases with partners (not necessarily cases per se, partners at this point do whatever they want during the interview to get to know you and see how you think)

Interview Questions

• Quite a lot of data analysis (the interviewers will give you numbers, charts, etc and you will have to digest the info fast).   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I interviewed at BCG London as a PhD in November-December 2014.

First round: 1 case interview (45min) 1 written numeracy test (45min)
    Second round: 2 case interviews (45min each) rather quantitative
    Final round: 2 partner interviews (45 min each), more focus on business understanding, communication, career motivations.

My BCG case interviews were structured as follows: 15 min of "fit" questions (focussed mainly on discussing examples of leadership and teamwork), 25 min of a case study (expect to be given exhibits at some point in the case in the first two rounds, as in an interviewer-led case), and 5 minutes to ask questions. All cases presented are based on actual engagements your BCG interviewer participated in. They thus know every aspect of the case, which makes the interview very interesting, and it also means you might want to ask your interviewer about how her or his team approached the problem at the time.

The recruitment staff was very dedicated, professional, friendly and helpful. Interviewers were friendly too, and very sharp as you would expect. Minutes before your interviews, you will given an enveloppe giving a little bibliography of your interviewer. This is the occasion to anticipate on the question you might want to ask her or him, more than trying to guess what your case will be about.

In terms of average success rates, I would say that about 7% of applicants receive an invitation to the first round, about 50% of them make it to the second round (which I found surprising), and another 40% are selected to the final round. At this stage, this means that about 80-90 candidates remain in the game, which is less than 2% of the initial application pool.

In the final round, it seems that if you are brilliant in the two interviews you are basically offered a position (hence there is no quota applied as in previous rounds), so the number of offers varies, but it seems to be around 25-35 offers in the recent years (in London).

Interview Questions

• What do you fail at doing in your job/studies?   1 Answer

Interview

Applied through online system, email came a couple of weeks after, and it contains interview invitation. Interview consisted of two case interviews by separate interviewers, who are both principals in BCG Singapore. Each interviewer starts by asking some fit questions such as 'why consulting?', 'why BCG?', and 'why you?'. That was followed by a case and an opportunity to ask the interviewers a few questions.

Interview Questions

• The first case was about a market entry strategy for a researcher that has invented a novel laser technology. The second case was about a strategy to increase productivity in Singapore. The latter one was particularly hard because it was not like typical case interview questions. There was an equation given and you're supposed to compare between Singapore's productivity and New York's.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2014.

Interview

1st Round:
    - 2*50min Interviews. Both 15min Competency, 30min Case and 5min for questions
    - 1* Online Case

2nd Round in Munich:
    - 3*50min Interviews:
       - 2* 15min Competency, 30min Case and 5min for questions
       - 1* 30min Competency 15min Case and 5min for questions
    - BCG Real Life:
       - 3*12min exercises that mimic the consultant job (eg. design a presentation, small talk with a client, give a presentation, etc.)

The cases were math heavy and involved finding new business models.

Interview Questions

• Your client is a solar panel manufacturer. His competition in China is producing the same product with a similar quality at a much cheaper price. What should he do?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Boston Consulting Group in December 2014.

Interview

First round (Maths test and 1 interview with project leader), 2nd round (1 project leader and 1 principal) and final round (1 partner and 1 senior partner). The format of all the interviews are very similar. The first two rounds mainly tests your ability to solve cases, whereas I felt that the 3rd round was more about fit. I was told that I needed prompting for one of the final round cases, which apparently cost me the job offer, but I felt that it was probably more of a fit issue. The interview process was fair, and HR did an excellent job in organising the interviews. Everyone I met was incredibly friendly, and they really want you to do your best.

Interview Questions

• What would you say is 'success' in your life when you're 50?   Answer Question