Boston University

53 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Boston University in September 2010.

Interview Details The hiring and interview process was pretty simple. It usually takes departments a long time to get back to you, but once you do, they try to onboard pretty quickly. It really depends on the department you are interviewing with. You will only be interviewed by the home department not by an HR representative for BU.

Interview Question – I really hate this question but it is always asked: What is your greatest weakness? I think it displays a lack of creativity but it's always used.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating is very unique from department to department. You should try to find out whether or not the position you are trying to get is a grant-funded position or otherwise. The grant-funded positions do not have ANY leeway and there will be no promotions once you get in. Otherwise, you may be able to negotiate. I will say the offers and pay are really low especially compared to other universities in the area.

Program Manager Interview

Boston, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Boston University in July 2010.

Interview Details Hiring process was typical, with an application and 2 interviews. The process was not long.

Interview Question – Very few unexpected questions. I was asked to pick my questions from a list - which made me think I was being judged on the questions I picked and my answers.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Boston University.

Interview Details General PhD applications with most of the details on the department webpage.
There are two streams: Post-Bachelor and Post-Master. PB is generally five years for ECE department, while PM is usually 4.
Online application requires personal statement of purpose, reference letters from previous professors, GRE General Test, (English exams if your first language is not English, and in some cases can be waived), Transcripts, and other supplementary materials.
It is also help to contact professors you are interested to work with.

Interview Question – Personal Statement should address issues including research interests. It is not a detailed research proposal, but one has to demonstrate genuine research interest, possibly via showcasing past experiences in relevant fields (study, project or internship).   Answer Question

Doctoral Candidate Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Boston University.

Interview Details Traditional graduate school application process

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Boston, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Boston University in August 2010.

Interview Details I remember that it took a long time from the time I applied to when I got an interview. In fact, I had forgotten that I'd applied! The questions were pretty normal, but the job was not very fancy so that's to be expected.

Interview Question – I was not an experienced interviewer (straight out of college), so every question was hard. Looking back, all the normal questions. Technology, how do you stay organized, how do you handle stress, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Compliance Coordinator Interview

Compliance Coordinator
Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Boston University in August 2012.

Interview Details Two interviews were required and they were in depth and lengthy but enjoyable. When my boss interviewed me for the job we got to know each other and the values we shared, we appreciated each other from the start and that has endured.

Interview Question – Why did you leave your prior employer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, BU HR said they could not change so offer accepted and recession had done enough damage to make the offer still better than current situation.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

Interviewed at Boston University

Interview Details No interview needed. Just talk with the professors here to see if they have open positions

Interview Question – There is no difficult questions   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Teaching Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Boston University.

Interview Details I sent an email to my professor and asked him if he could take me as a teaching assistant during the coming summer session. then he accepted.

Interview Question – there is no really an interview process since he had known me very well throughout the semester   Answer Question

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Graduate Teaching Assistant

Interviewed at Boston University

Interview Details A 30 minutes chat with the professor. Talks about yourself, your strength and why would you like this job. Nothing technical. the professor would tell you about the responsibilities and his or her expectation.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Lab Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Boston University in November 2013.

Interview Details one interview- focussing on basic concepts of electrical engineering

Interview Question – why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Boston University

Worked for Boston University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston University interview questions and advice. All 53 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Boston University employees and interview candidates.