Bottomline Technologies Interview Questions

Updated 31 Mar 2015

3.2

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Reading, England).

Interview

Phone call from agency, first & second interviews. Psychometric test and very attitude focused. Nice interviewer but really tough with lots of unorthodox questions. Put me at ease and was quite funny and friendly!.

Negotiation

Not needed - was offered what I asked for

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Reading, England) in October 2012.

Interview

Call from an agent and directly invited to face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked company principles which is on their web site and I read before I went to interview.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies.

Interview

I submitted my resume and was contacted via email within an hour. I was asked to set up a time for a phone interview with HR. Phone interview went very well and they asked if I would like to come on site and interview with the department. I was scheduled a week in advance to meet with three individuals. I was greeted by HR and given a nice binder with the days agenda on the cover and company information within.
    Enter the first interviewer. Asked a bunch of questions that had nothing to do with the position. Fishing for my views on upper management and how it should trickle down. Really? Trickle down? I answered all of the questions, had her laughing, had her saying "wow never thought of it that way" etc., etc., etc. Next thing she jumps up and says "Oh, I think that the 2nd interviewer got called off site. Let me check and I'll be right back." Couple minutes later she comes in and tells me that the next two interviewers got called away and I was done for the day and that HR would contact me to reschedule. Bunch of B.S. The HR lady would have told me about a change of plans right up front.
    My take? They can't ask you how old you are on the phone. Interviewer, mid to late 20's, me 51. Can't say that with certainty, but, in all my years I have never had an interview go like that. It was messed up. I emailed HR as soon as I got home and got a "cold" reply in minutes telling me they were going with other candidates.
    What a waste of time. All of the reviews of how they treat their employees like crap is more than believable now and I am glad I found out early. If they treat an interviewer like that, just image how they treat the employees.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important to you, in order. Being liked by management, being liked by co-workers, or money.   Answer Question
    • If you get this job and there is a project due, would you stay till it is done no matter how many hours?   Answer Question

Enterprise Support Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth Village, NC (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth Village, NC (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

They reached out to me based on my LinkedIn profile. After a couple of brief phone interviews they flew me in to their office. Interviewing consisted of 6 separate 1:1. All was going well until a met with Ms. VP of HR. After telling me how important she was and then asking me to just recite my work history, listening expressionless, she begins to grill me on why I would be looking to come to work with them given the fact that I spent less than a year with my current employer. I found this odd since they called me. She would not accept my answer which was simply, " It is always in my best interest to vet any opportunities that appear to be a good fit for my skill set and appears to be a good organization", given today's world of "at will contracts". If they really have concerns about my short tenure at my current employer then why did they contact me in the first place?

Interview Questions

• Give me the top 5 things that you are looking for in a company that you are getting at your currently company. We are concerned about someone who is interviewing us for a job that has been with their current company for less than a year.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies in September 2014.

Interview

Interview was good. Talked with recruiter first, then CXX and then VP level management. Process went very smooth a professionally. Recruiter made the company, goals, position and management team explanations very clear. I knew what I was getting into, whom I would be talking to and what to expect from interview early in the conversation. Even though I didn't get the position they didn't leave me hanging and as soon as I was disqualified I was notified. So much better than they just don't call you back.

Interview Questions

• Explain a go to market process of a new product. I tried but every company is different and I couldn't seem to get across how we had done it at my employer. I think the interviewer expected me to articulate the step by step by the book of a product launch.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I started interviewing for this job in spring 2013. There were two phone interviews, one of which was standard behavioral stuff and another of which was a getting-to-know-you interview with some questions about my skillset/experience and some information about the company. Then there was an in-person interview, which consisted of talking to two or three people. Most of it was the standard "talk about a time you've had difficulty working on a team" sort of questions, but there was one example business case where I was expected to look at a paragraph-long description of a business problem and talk at a high level about how I would design the solution and associated architecture.

It was pretty obvious from both the phone interview and the in person interview that this is a high-pressure work environment. I was specifically told that 45-50 hours per week or more were expected, and there seemed to be a lot of emphasis on being aggressive and moving up through the company. I suspected that there's a work-life balance problem here, and reading other reviews on Glassdoor confirmed that.

The phone interviews took about two-three weeks from first contact to finish, and the in person interview was the week after that. I got an offer just a few days after my in person interview. It was hilariously low - just over half of what I'd been offered for a similar position, and at least one third below the average market rate in the area.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, just be prepared to think at a high level about how you would design an app to a customer's specifications given varying requirements.   Answer Question

The offer was hilariously low, the work doesn't seem terribly exciting, the business seems like it is extremely high pressure with a bad work-life balance. There is nothing about this company that would be attractive to anyone with a solid CS education.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies.

Interview

Contacted via email and scheduled an interview at their HQ.
    Greeted and welcomed when entering the building.

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH (US)) in June 2013.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was very positive for me at Bottomline. I was treated with courtesy, was updated on every step of the interview process and was always kept informed of the interview details. I felt and still feel that Bottomline really values all interactions.

Negotiation

Great- I feel like a fair offer was made

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH (US)) in March 2013.

Interview

A recruiter called me about 2 weeks after I applied online via the Bottomline website. He quickly set up a phone interview a few days later after gauging interest in the position.

The current hiring manger was very professional and answered all my questions as well as giving a great overview of the product and what to expect out of me. The biggest surprise was that I was expected to regularly put in overtime and had to work long enough "to get the work done". I believe at one point engineers were putting in around 60 hours a week just to stay afloat.

After the phone interview I was scheduled a few days later with the group which was based in another location. The interview was very pleasant and the questions they asked pertaining to my knowledge and the product was asked and answered effectively.

A week later I was scheduled to meet with management where I met with a completely different hiring manager that apparently been moved from another group. He asked me lots of technical questions pertaining to by skills and a lot of "what-if" scenarios. I also met with the manager from the phone interview as well as his manager who asked my why I left my previous employers and my reasoning for joining the company.

I was offered a job offer a few days later with to my surprise a base salary which was much lower than the industry standard for my position in the geographic area. I set up an appointment to negotiate a salary but was forgotten by the recruiter only to have to set up another one later on in the day. He told me he would probably not be able get me any more money and told me that I could make up for it with quarterly bonuses I "might" be able to get but were not guaranteed. He also asked me if I was being contacted by any other companies which I told him I was and he began telling me all the bad things about the company which I found very unprofessional.

The recruiter went to check with the new hiring manager for a salary increase and called later in the afternoon but the increase was still not at the low end of the salary spectrum I would have accepted and not up to media industry value for my position.

So to sum up my overall experience, the people seem nice to work with there and the building is nice but be prepared for a much lower salary offer than industry standard and be prepared to put in mandatory overtime and being on call after hours.

Interview Questions

• You do know this is not a 9-5 job? You will be expected to put in overtime and be on call after hours until "the work is done".   Answer Question

The base salary offered was well below what my knowledge, skills and years of experience were worth. This included "mandatory" overtime and on call hours which I was forewarned about during the interview process.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bottomline Technologies.

Interview

I was selected in the first round of on-campus interviews and was called for a half hour interview in their office. The person in-charge was very helpful in helping me figure out where my interests lied. Although it was meant to be a half hour interview, I had multiple interviews with people from different departments for more than 2 hours. I was happy with this sudden plan at that moment because it was only in the interest of seeing where I would fit into the company. I was told that I had cleared the round and would be contacted by the HR person. After two weeks, I was asked about my work authorization status (I had already given that information in the application anyway). After another two weeks, I was sent a reject letter.
    I think there is a lot of miscommunication between the HR and hiring departments, which the interviewee should beware. I also felt that you need to be lucky and not really talented, because two of my other friends who have awesome jobs now were not selected in the first round.

Interview Questions

• Only fit based questions. They asked me to give ranks for what I wanted most out of my job, etc.   Answer Question